|QUAKERTOWN-- It's name is derived
from settlements of Friends, or Quakers, who emigrated from Gwynedd
to its vicinity, some time about the year 1700; and when a post office
was established here, it was then called Quakertown, about 1803. Designated
by early settlers the
, or "Great Meadow". Later took the name of Flatland, and subsequently
Richland, from the fertile quality of the soil. In the year 1750 a
new building was put up for public worship, accommodating Springfield,
Haycock, Milford, Rockhill, they had no other place for worship nearer
than the Gwynedd meeting in Montgomery, some 20 miles distant.
- Today the Red Lion Inn is open as McCooles at the Historic Red
S Main St
Quakertown, PA 18951
Phone: (215) 538-1776
Fax: (215) 538-1738
100 Years ago in Quakertown - January 1, 2006
If you lived in Quakertown 100 years ago, you almost certainly
would have worked with your hands.
Maybe you would have rolled cigars, molded iron stoves, made saddles,
repaired shoes or driven a delivery wagon.
In 1905, Quakertown was very much a workingman's town set in the
countryside. Fifty years after its incorporation in 1855, the borough
had grown to about 3,400 residents and become a major commercial
and employment center in Upper Bucks.
A 1905 borough directory lists 930 male residents over 21 years
old and their occupations. The directory doesn't include women,
but photographs from the era show women working in factories and
|Quakertown 150 years ago
By EDWARD LEVENSON
The first in an occasional series of stories
on Quakertown's 150th anniversary.
In Quakertown of the 1850s, bachelors got off easier than dog owners.
|"It's a community cemetery. The community has to chip in if
it would like to see it in better condition," ... a Quakertown
funeral director, said Union Cemetery is the only one he knows of
in the Quakertown area with an ongoing vandalism problem, though
he has encountered similar situations in Allentown cemeteries. Fixing
the headstones is a dilemma, ... the cemetery is not legally responsible
and many families of the deceased are no longer around." Anyone
interested in helping Union Cemetery may leave a message at (215)
|Bucks County Intelligencer Newspaper|
Edward Levenson can be reached at (215) 538-6371 or
Quakertown Free Press
Apr. 14, 1899 Henry G. Ahlum age 62 years, hotel
proprietor for many years, died in the home of his son-in-law
William Haney in the Eagle Hotel.
Sept. 19, 1902 Samuel E. Bush about 50 years, son of the late
William H. Bush who was the Bush House proprietor
for many years, died in Atlantic City, N.J.
History from the Archives
The first land grant was obtained from William Penn in 1701 by
English and Welsh. February 14, 1703 the Great Swamp was surveyed.
Large tracks of land were called townships. Although the land had
previously been purchased, it wasn't until 1712 that John Ball and
his father-in-law John Lester actually moved into the township of
Richland, a wilderness. They moved from a Welsh track near Gwynedd,
a Quaker settlement, because it was becoming crowded. They probably
wished to become another Quaker settlement. The people who followed
them until 1720 were mainly Quakers. In 1720 the town had 12 dwellings,
2 stores, 3 taverns and a Quaker Meeting House. In 1720 to 1750
the Germans started settling in the area. It was incorporated into
a borough in 1855. The town stretched from Main street to 9th street.
Railway Express Agency at Quakertown Train Station
Started by: Andrew Jackson Roberts
continued by. . .
his son: Clinton Roberts
his Grandson: Marshall Jackson Roberts
his Great-Granddaughter: Marilyn Roberts Wilsey
The train station office had closed and Marilyn
ran the "REA" from home at 58 S. Main Street - Quakertown until
the mid 1960's
Snip-it from the Town Crier !
Abraham Griffiths, probably the first of the Friend's
Colony to settle in the Great Swamp, which later became Richland
Township, was born in Wales in the year 1680.
Early Friends Families of Upper Bucks
These images may take awhile to load.
||Ref: Town and Country Newspaper
Pennsburg, Montgomery County, PA
Saturday - February 11, 1905
RUNAWAY ACCIDENT AT QUAKERTOWN
John ROSENBERGER and Frank HELLER residents
of Milford Square, on Wednesday met with an accident at Quakertown
while driving through that town in a sleigh. They attempted
to turn out of the trolley tracks to permit a trolley to pass
when their sleigh was upset. They were thrown out and the horse ran
away and was later caught in a field on the outskirts of the
town. Mr. ROSENBERGER's sleigh was a total wreck and the
horse was slightly hurt at one of the rear legs. Mr. HELLER
was also slightly injured at one of his limbs.
Bucks County Normal & Classical School, known as Dr. Horne's School
established in Quakertown 1858 held its sixth quinquennial reunion
at the Calypso Island near Bethlehem. When the institute closed in
1863 it was agreed to hold a reunion every 5 years as long as 5 students
were willing to attend. Among Quakertown students enrolled were: Hattie
J. Ball, Samuel F. Ball, Charles S. Ball, Martindale and S. Carey
Ball, Charles E., James B., Thomas C. Brunner, Mrs. Belle Brunner,
Swartzland, H.B. Clymer, R.S. Cope, Sallie Frick Housekeeper, etc.
|Frank BALL, minister
of the Friends Meeting funeral director botanist and nature lover.
Mr. Ball was also a one time school director and was always active
in church, school, Chautauqua and community affairs. From an undated
||Fashionable Undertakers and Dealers
in Funeral Furnishing Goods 1889.
|Joel S. Ball|
Bought of Aaron BALL and Sons Dealers in Furniture and Carpets.
Oil Cloth, Trunks, and shades
|October 11, 1907 - 60 years ago Aaron BALL,
furniture dealer and undertaker celebrated his 80th birthday.
|Quakertown PA, September
Mrs. Caroline STRUNK
bought of Aaron Ball, Dealer in Furniture and General Furnishing
Marble Top Table $6.00
Letterheads and Invoices, Quakertown
Born in Quakertown, daughter of the late Andrew G. and Clara Geissinger
Biehn. She graduated from Quakertown High School with the class
Born: 1903 Died: 9/7/2003
Intelligencer December 27, 1859
The Doylestown Democrat for 1860 offers unusual attractions to
readers. On the 3rd of January next will be commenced the publication
of a History of the Milford Rebellion in 1799. Put on foot by
Fries, Heany and Getman which will contain a true account of all the
interesting incidents connected with that outbreak.