Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Foremark & Ingleby
Trade Directory Extracts


James Pilkington's, "A View of the Present State of Derbyshire", 1789

Forneuuerck, Foremark
The living is a donative curacy.  The church is dedicated to St. Saviour, and formerly belonged to the priory at Gresley.  Sir Robert Burdett is the patron.  The present church was built and endowed by Sir Francis Burdett, bart. and consecrated in the year 1662.
The whole parish, including the hamlet of Ingleby, (Englebi), contains only twenty-six houses.
Foremark is the seat of Sir Robert Burdett.  It is an elegant and modern house, and was built by its present possessor.
Sir Robert Burdett is descended from a very ancient family in Leicestershire.  The first, of whom we have any account, was Hugh Burdett, who came to England with William the conqueror.  William Burdett, lord of Louseby, Leicestershire, who lived in the time of Henry II. Founded the priory of Aucote, near Seckingdon, Warwickshire, to expiate the murder of his wife, committed at his return from the holy land.  Sir Robert Burdett, knt. one of his descendants, settled at Arrow, Warwickshire.  He represented in parliament the county of Warwick, in the fourteenth of Edward II. : the county of Leicester in the eighteenth of the same reign, and the county of Warwick the year following ; and the county of Leicester again in the first, second and fourth of Edward III.  He was also sheriff for both counties in the same reign.  Sir Thomas Burdett, knt. his great grandson, served in parliament for the county of Warwick, the fifth and sixteenth of Richard II. And the second and eighth of Henry IV. and in the third of Henry V. was sheriff for Warwickshire, and Leicestershire.  His son Nicholas, served Henry V. in his wars, was knighted fifteenth of Henry VI. And was slain at Pontoise.  He had only one child, Thomas Burdett, esq; who was a person of great eminence.  From the seventh to the fourteenth of Edward IV. he was in the commission for conserving the peace, but incurring the displeasure of the king for his great attachment to the duke of Clarence, and an advantage being taken of some words, which he had spoken, he was tried, convicted, and beheaded for high treason.  Thomas Burdett, his grand son, who died the thirty first of Henry VIII. married Mary, daughter of Sir Robert Throckmorton, knt.  Robert, his son, represented the county of Warwick in parliament, in the first year of Edward VI. And died the year following.  His grandson married Mary, daughter of Dr. Thomas Wilson, dean of Durham, and secretary to Queen Elizabeth.  He died March 1603, and was succeeded by his son, Thomas Burdett of Seckington and Bramcote, esq; who, on the twenty-fifth of February 1618, was created a baronet.  He was sheriff for Derbyshire in the year 1609.  He married Jane, daughter and heiress of William Fraunceys, esq; who was nephew and heir of John Fraunceys of Foremark, esq.  By her he had issue three sons, and seven daughters.  Sir Frauncis, his eldest son was born September 1608, was sheriff for Derbyshire 1650, and died in the year 1696.  He married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Walter of Sarden, Oxon, knt. and lord chief justice of the exchequer.  He had by her four sons (The second son, who resided at Knowle-Hills, had the title of baronet a few months before the birth of his grand-nephew, but died unmarried) and four daughters.  Sir Robert Burdett, the eldest son, was born in the year 1640, and represented in parliament the county of Warwick in different sessions, during the reign of Charles II. and the city of Lichfield in the first, second and seventh of William and Mary.  He married twice.  By his second wife, Magdalen, daughter of Sir Thomas Aston of Aston, bart. he had a son, Robert Burdett, esq; who died eleven days before his father.  However he had married, several years before his death, Elizabeth, daughter of William, lord viscount Tracey, by whom he left one son, and six daughters.  The present Sir Robert Burdett, the son, was born the twenty-eighth May 1716, and was a representative for Tamworth in the last parliament of George II.  He married, in November 1739, first Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Charles Sedley of Nuttal, Nottinghamshire, by whom he had three sons, and two daughters; but by his second wife, lady Caroline, relict of Sir Henry Harpur of Calke, he had no issue.  Robert Thomas Sedley, his eldest son, died in the fourth year of his age, and John, the third son died also, when he was twenty years of age.  Frauncis, the second son, born April 1743, married in the year 1767, Elianor, daughter and co-heiress of William Jones of Rambury, Wilt, esq; by whom he has three sons.  Elizabeth, the elder daughter, was married, in the year 1770, to Francis Noel Clarke Mundy of Markeaton, esq.


Universal British Directory, 1791

At Formark, Sir Robert Burdet has a large house.  It is an oblong, the corners projecting enough to have bow windows, and are domed.  In the centre of the principal front is a portico, supported by four Ionic pillars.  It commands an extensive prospect over the vale, through which the Trent runs ; and, being well united with some fine woods, has a good effect.  The back front, which is very light and handsome, looks on some hanging hills crowned by distant plantations.  Some of them are young, but now beginning to shew themselves to great advantage.  The pleasure-ground is very beautiful.  A winding walk leads from the house through a wood of very fine oaks, down a falling valley to the banks of the Trent, and turns up a cliff of rock and wood, which is one of the great curiosities in this country : the river has no where so bold and romantic a shore.  The rocks are perpendicular, and of a good height, and the intermixture of wood extremely romantic, hanging over the cliffs, in some places, in a striking manner, and almost overshadowing the water.  The walk is conducted along the edge of the precipice, and looks down on the river winding beneath, through the scattered wood, in a very fine stile.  A noble prospect of the surrounding country, well diversified by villages, breaks upon the eye through natural openings among the trees.  It runs quite through this woody precipice, and, leading along a vale at the end of it, thickly planted, mounts a bold hill free of rocks, and winds through a plantation thick enough to exclude the view of the river, &c. till it arrives at the summit, which is a very fine projection.  Here it opens at once from the dark wood into a temple, instantly commanding, as by enchantment, one of the richest views in the world.  Beneath you, at a great depth, the Trent makes a bold sweep, and, winding through the valley, all richly enclosed and of a very fine verdure, it appears at different spots in the most pleasing manner.  To the left you command a fine bend of it, which leads to a village with a white church rising from the midst of it ; and, at some distance beyond, it is again caught among the enclosures, beautifully fringed with trees and hedge-rows.  There are a few views finer than this : from hence the plantations unit with others that conduct you again to the house.

… A little further Eastward is the pleasant residence of Sir Robert Burdett, Bart. At Foremark-hall, a magistrate for the county of derby.  In this parish is the hamlet of Ingleby, in which is the house of Robert C. Greaves, Esq. Steward to Sir robert Burdett, bart. And Sir Henry harpur, Bart. and near this place, on the banks of the Trent, is a large cavern, called Anchor-church; supposed to have formerly been the habitation of an Anchorite.


Pigot's Derbyshire Directory 1821-1822

FORMARK, or Foremark, three miles W. from Melbourn and six and a half S.S.E. from Derby, is distinguished as having within its precincts the beautiful seat of Sir Francis Burdett, most judiciously and romantically placed, amidst scenery of a rich, bold, and varied character, upon the southern bank of the Trent ; the hanging hills being crowned by thriving plantations : the house is spacious, and its appearance imposing in a considerable degree ; the pleasure grounds are very tasteful, and lead down a valley through finely wooded avenues, to the banks of the river.  The population of this parish, including the township of INGLEBY, is upon the increase.

Nobility, Gentry and Clergy
Burdett Sir Francis, Formark hall
Pearson Thomas, esq. Formark

Professional Persons
Crabtree William, agent to Sir Francis Burdett, bart. Formark
Smith Wm. agent to Sir George Crewe, bart. Formark


Stephen Glover's Directory of the County of Derby 1827-29

FOREMARK, a village, township and parish in the Hundred of Repton and Gresley.

Lord of the Manor, Sir Francis Burdett, Bart. M.P. Foremark Hall, F.

Crabtree Richard, esq. agent to Sir Francis Burdett, bart.
Pearsall Thomas, gent. farmer
Sleath Rev. Dr. (Repton) minister
Smith William, esq. occupies a large farm
Spor Joseph, farmer
Wass James, farmer

INGLEBY, a village and township in the parish of Foremark, H. of R. and G.

Lord of the Manor, Sir Francis Burdett, Bart. M.P. Foremark Hall.

Browne Edward, gent.
Goadsby William, farmer
Ordish Edward, farmer
Ordish Edward, jun. farmer
Smith William, gent. farmer, Ingleby hall
Wass James, farmer


Pigot & Co.’s National Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1835

Foremark, three miles W. from Melbourn, is distinguished as having within its precincts the beautiful seat of Sir Francis Burdett, most judiciously and romantically placed, amidst scenery of a rich, bold and varied character, upon the southern banks of the Trent – the hanging hills being crowned by thriving plantations.  The house is spacious, and its appearance imposing to a considerable degree ; the pleasure-grounds are very tasteful, and lead down a valley, through finely wooded avenues to the banks of the river.  The church, here, which is dedicated to our Saviour, is a small, plain edifice : the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Sir Francis Burdett.  The parish of Foremark (including Ingleby township, 163) contained, in 1831, 221 inhabitants.

Burdett Sir Francis, bart. Foremark hall
Fowler Rev. H., Foremark
Pearson Thomas, esq., Foremark

Crabtree William, esq. (agent to Sir Francis Burdett, bart.) Foremark
Fisher John, at Foremark hall
Ordish Edward, farmer & grazier, Ingleby


Pigot & Co.’s National Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1842

Contiguous to Stanton, and three miles west from Melbourn, is the small parish of FOREMARK, of no other distinction than having within its precincts Foremark Hall, the beautiful seat of Sir Francis Burdett, who is patron of the living in this parish.

The following is the population ... by the census taken in June 1841 :- FOREMARK (with INGLEBY), 162

Nobility, Gentry & Clergy
Burdett Sir Francis, Foremark hall

Ordish Edward, farmer & grazier, Ingleby


Samuel Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Derbyshire 1846

FOREMARK parish contains the townships of Foremark and Ingleby, which together contain 2,224 acres of land, a light soil producing good barley and seeds, and 212 inhabitants.  Population in 1801, 209 ; in 1831, 221.  Rateable value, £2,845.

Foremark township and small scattered village, 6½ miles S.S.W. from Derby, contains 1,368 acres of land, 11 houses, and 55 inhabitants, of whom 33 were males, and 22 females.  Rateable value, £1505.  Sir Robert Burdett, Bart., is owner, impropriator, and patron of the church, St. Saviour, a perpetual curacy valued at £30, augmented with £400 Queen Anne’s bounty, and £200 Parliamentary grant ; Rev. William Heacock, incumbent, for whom the Rev. James Garvey officiates.  The Church, a small structure with nave, chancel, low tower and 4 bells, was erected in 1662, by Sir Francis Burdett, Bart., and in 1819 a gallery was erected at the west end.  A handsome carved oak screen separates the nave and chancel.  Many of the Burdett family are interred here.  The ancient church, which was an appendage to the priory of Repton, stood in Ingleby.  The Hall, a good mansion and seat of Sir Robert Burdett, was erected about the year 1762, but only a few servants are kept at it.  Anchor Church, near the Trent, is a singular rocky bank, which presents the appearance of an edifice in ruins, and consists of 4 rooms, which tradition asserts to have been the abode of an anchorite, but some suppose it to have been a summer-house for the amusement of fishing ; it is said that human bones have been found here.  The manor (Fernewerche) at Domesday survey belonged to Nigel de Stafford.  In the reign of Henry II. it was given by Robert de Ferrers, Earl of Derby, to Bertram de Verdon in marriage with one of his daughters.  It was purchased of the Verdons before the year 1387, by Sir Robert Francis, who obtained a confirmation of free warren from the crown in 1397.  The heiress of Francis married Thomas Burdett, Esq., of Bramcote, in Warwickshire, who was created a Baronet in 1618.

Ingleby, a township and small village, situated at the foot of a sandy cliff, on the south bank and overlooking the vale of the Trent, 7 miles south from Derby.  Contains 886 acres of sandy land, including 98 acres of woods, 28 houses mostly thatched, and 157 inhabitants, of whom 72 were males and 85 females.  Rateable value, £1,340.  Sir Robert Burdett is sole owner. Ingleby Hall, a neat modern mansion, on a lofty eminence, is the seat of Col. William Beresford.  In the village is a remarkable Elm tree said to be 600 years old.  Feast, Sunday before old Michaelmas day.

Charities – Mary Burdett, by will, in 1697, desired that her executor, Sir Robert Burdett, and his heirs, should dispose of £10 yearly until he or they should lay out the sum of £200, so that the interest or profit thereof might yearly be disposed of to the poor of Foremark, Ingleby, Milton or Repton, or any of them, in clothing poor women, distributing bread on Sundays, schooling of girls, buying Bibles and Common Prayer Books, or in such other way as they should think to be the greatest charity.

Dorothy Burdett, in 1717, desired that her brothers, and, after their decease, that her kinsman, Sir Robert Burdett, and his heirs, should dispose of £10 yearly out of the rents of Hogs Hill Farm, until he or they should lay out the sum of £200, so that the yearly interest or profit thereof might be laid out or disposed of to the poor of Foremark, Ingleby, Repton, Milton (a hamlet in Repton), and Ticknall.  The above sums have never been laid out in pursuance of the above Will.  Sir Francis Burdett, is the owner of Hogs hill farm, and under the direction of his agent a quantity of beef and clothing, to a much greater amount than the interest, is provided annually at Christmas, and the poor of several places interested, with the respective overseers, attend at Foremark Hall, where the meat and clothing are distributed.

FOREMARK
Burdett Sir Robert, Bart. The Hall
Farmer Thomas, gardener
Fisher John, gamekeeper
Goodall John, farmer
Smith Richard, farmer, The park
Taft John, farmer

INGLEBY
Beresford Colonel Wm. The Hall
Clive Sarah, shopkeeper
Edwards Thomas, parish clerk
Reader Mr John
Reader Miss Mary, boarding school
Wright John, shoemaker

Farmers
Maggs James Robert
Ordish Edward
Ordish Thomas
Ratcliff Richard
Wass Jas. Seven spouts


Slater's Directory of Derbyshire, 1850

The population in 1841 was as follows:
Foremark (with Ingleby), 212

Nobility, Gentry and Clergy
Allsop Henry, Esq. Foremark Hall
Child Mr. Richd. Beaumont, Ingleby

Boot & Shoe Makers
Wright John, Ingleby


Post Office Directory of Derbyshire, 1855

FOREMARK, a township and parish near the river Trent, in the Hundred of Repton and Gresley, Burton-upon-Trent Union, South Derbyshire, 6½ miles south-south-west from Derby, 3½ miles north-east from Willington station, and 126 miles from London, contained, in 1851, 89 inhabitants, and 1,368 acres of land.  The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, diocese of Lichfield, valued at £30, augmented with £400 Queen Anne’s bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, in the patronage of Sir Robert Burdett, Bart.; the Rev. William Heacock, B.A., is the incumbent.  The church of St. Saviours is a plain small building, with a low tower and 4 bells, was built in 1662; in 1819 a gallery was built at the west end.  The Hall, a good mansion, the residence of Henry Allsopp, Esq., was built about 1762.

INGLEBY, a township, 7 miles south from Derby, contained, in 1851, 149 inhabitants, and 886 acres of land.  In the village is a remarkable elm tree, said to be 600 years old.
SEVEN SPOUTS is a farm.

Foremark
Allsopp Henry, esq. the Hall
TRADERS
Cocks William, farmer
Goodall John, farmer
Lassells James, gardener
Wartnaby William, farmer
Letters received through Ticknall

Ingleby
TRADERS.
Fearn William, carrier
Maggs James Robert, farmer
Mann William, farmer
Massey Sampson, jun. farmer, the Hill
Ordish John, farmer
Pearson Joseph, parish clerk
Ratcliff Richard, farmer
Reader Mary (Miss), boarding school
Wass Maria (Mrs.), farmer, Seven Spouts
Wright john, shoemaker
Letters are received through Swarkeston.  The nearest money order office is at Burton-on-Trent.

CARRIER. – William Fearn, to Derby, Friday ‘ to Burton-on-Trent, Thursday


F. White & Co.'s Directory of Derbyshire, 1857

FOREMARK parish, contains the townships of Foremark and Ingleby, which together contain 1991A. 1R. 8P. of land, and had in 1851, 45 houses, and 238 inhabitants, of whom 115 were males, and 123 females ; rateable value £2,901.

Foremark township, 6½ miles S.S.W. from Derby, contains 1135A. 1R. 15P. of land, principally red loam ; the Hall, 3 farms and 6 cottages : and in 1851 had 89 inhabitants, of whom 47 were males, and 42 females : rateable value, £1574 10s.  Sir Robt. Burdett, Bart., is owner, impropriator, and patron of the church, St. Saviour, a perpetual curacy valued at £31, augmented with £400 Queen Anne’s bounty, and £200 Parliamentary grant ; Rev. J.B. Stevens, incumbent.  The Church, a small structure with nave, chancel, low tower and four bells, was erected in 1662, by Sir Francis Burdett, Bart., and in 1819 a gallery was erected at the west end.  A handsome carved oak screen separates the nave and chancel.  Many of the Burdett family are interred here.  The ancient church, which was an appendage to the priory of Repton, stood in Ingleby.  The Hall is a large ancient stone mansion, 7 miles S.S.W. from Derby, the seat of Henry Clay, Esq., it was erected about the year 1762.  Anchor Church, near the Trent, is a singular rocky bank, which presents the appearance of an edifice in ruins, and consists of five rooms, which tradition asserts to have been the home of an anchorite, but some suppose it to have been the summer-house for the amusement of fishing.

The manor, Fernewerche, at Domesday survey belonged to Nigel de Stafford.  In the reign of Henry II. it was given by Robert de Ferrers, Earl of Derby, to Bertram de Verdon in marriage with one of his daughters.  It was purchased of the Verdons before the year 1387, by Sir Robert Francis, who obtained a confirmation of free warren from the crown in 1397.  The heiress of Francis married Thomas Burdett, Esq., of Bramcote, in Warwickshire, who was created a Baronet in 1618.

Ingleby, a township and small scattered village, situated at the foot of a small sandy cliff, on the south bank, and overlooking the vale of the Trent, 7 miles south from Derby, contains 855A. 3R. 33P. of sandy land, including 98A. of woods, 27 houses, and 149 inhabitants, of whom 68 were males and 81 females ; rateable value, £1,326 10s.  Sir Robert Burdett is sole owner. Ingleby Hill House, a neat modern mansion, on a lofty eminence 7½ miles S.W. from Derby, is the seat of Sampson Massey, jun., Esq.  In the village is a remarkable Elm tree said to be upwards of 600 years old, but is now fast decaying.  Feast, Sunday before old Michaelmas day.

Charities: Mary Burdett, by will, in 1697, desired that her executor, Sir Robert Burdett, and his heirs, should dispose of £10 yearly until he or they should lay out the sum of £200, so that the interest or profit thereof might yearly be disposed of to the poor of Foremark, Ingleby, Milton or Repton, or any of them, in clothing poor women, distributing bread on Sundays, schooling of girls, buying Bibles, and Common Prayer Books, or in such other way as they should think to be the greatest charity.

Dorothy Burdett, in 1717, desired that her brothers, and, after their decease, that her kinsman, Sir Robert Burdett, and his heirs, should dispose of £10 yearly out of the rents of Hogs Hill Farm, until he or they should lay out the sum of £200, so that the yearly interest or profit thereof might be laid out or disposed of to the poor of Foremark, Ingleby, Repton, Milton (a hamlet in Repton), and Ticknall.  The above sums have never been laid out in pursuance of the above will.  Sir Francis Burdett, is the owner of Hogs Hill farm, and under the direction of his agent a quantity of beef and clothing, to a much greater amount than the interest, is provided annually at Christmas, and the poor of several places interested with the respective overseers, attend at Foremark Hall, where the meat and clothing are distributed.

Foremark Township
Clay Henry, Esq., The Hall
Cocks William, farmer, Park Farm
Goodall John, farmer
Wartnaby William, farmer

Ingleby Township
Massey Sampson, jun., Esq., Ingleby Hill House
Massey William, M.R.C.S., surgeon, Ingleby Hill House
Reader Mary, farmer
Wright John, shoemaker

Farmers
Maggs James Robert
Mann William A.
Ordish John
Ratcliffe Richard
Wass Maria


Harrison, Harrod, and Co.'s Directory  and Gazetteer of Derbyshire, 1860

FOREMARK parish, contains the township of Ingleby, which together, in 1851, had 238 inhabitants.

Foremark township, 6½ miles S.S.W. from Derby.  Sir Robt. Burdett, Bart., is owner, impropriator, and patron of the church, St. Saviour ; Rev. J.B. Stevens, incumbent.  The church is a small structure, with nave, chancel, low tower, and four bells.

Gentry, &c.
Clay, Henry, Esq., the Hall
Massey, Sampson, Esq., Ingleby hill house

Traders, &c.
Cocks, William, farmer
Goodall, John, farmer
Maggs, James R., farmer, Ingleby
Mann, William A., farmer, Ingleby
Massey, William, M.R.C.S., surgeon, Ingleby Hill house
Ordish, John, farmer, Ingleby
Ratcliffe, Richard, farmer, Ingleby
Wartnaby, William, farmer
Wass, Maria, farmer, Ingleby
Wright, John, shoemaker


Harrod & Co.'s Postal & Commercial Directory of Derbyshire, etc. 1870

FOREMARK is a parish distant 7 miles from Derby, and 3 from Willington railway station, in the south division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, union and county court district of Burton-on-Trent, diocese of Lichfield, archdeaconry of Derby, and rural deanery of Stanton-by-Bridge.  The church is dedicated to St. Michael.  The living is a donative, annual value £70, in the gift of Sir Robert Burdett, Bart.  The Rev. J.R. Stevens is the incumbent.  The parish contains 1135 acres, 1 rood, 15 perches of land, of which the chief owner is Sir Robert Burdett, Bart., who is also lord of the manor.  The population is about 60.  Letters arrive at 9 a.m., are dispatched at 4.30 p.m.  The nearest money-order and telegraph office is at Repton.  Post-town, Burton-on-Trent.

Farmers
Goodall John
Wartnaby Mrs Mary
Woollatt Stephen

INGLEBY is a township distant 7 miles from Derby, and 3 from Chellaston railway station, in the south division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, union of Burton-on-Trent, county court district of Derby, diocese of Lichfield, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and rural deanery of Stanton-by-Bridge.  There is a school for boys and girls, supported by Sir Robert Burdett, Bart. – Mrs. H. Buxton mistress.  The acreage is 855.  The chief owner is Sir Robert Burdett, who is also lord of the manor.  The population is about 149.  Letters arrive at 8 a.m., are dispatched at 7 p.m.  The nearest money-order and telegraph office is at Melbourne.  Post-town, Stanton-by-Bridge.

Bentley John, blacksmith
Wright William, shoemaker

Farmers
Maggs James R.
Mann William A.
Ordish Mrs
Ratcliffe Mrs
Wass Mrs Maria


C.N. Wright's Directory of South Derbyshire, October 1874

FOREMARK is a parish and small village 7 miles from Derby, 3 from Willington Railway Station, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, union and county court district of Burton, archdeaconry of Derby, and rural deanery of Stanton-by-Bridge.  The Church is dedicated to St. Michael.  The living is a donative worth £70 a year, in the gift of Sir Rt. Burdett, who is chief owner and lord of the manor.  There are 1135 acres.

Letters arrive at 10 a.m., and are dispatched via Milton at 6 p.m.  Nearest Money Order and Telegraph office, Repton, under Burton.

Goodall Jno. farmer
Pounds Ths. keeper
Wartnaby Mrs. My. Farmer
Woollatt Stpn.

ST. MICHAEL’S CHURCH.  Service AT 10.30 and 2.30 on alternate Sundays, by the Rev. R. Stevens, of Swadlincote.  Churchwardens, Messrs. Goodall and Ordish.
[Note: This must be a mistake, as the parish church in all the other directories is shown as being dedicated to St. Saviour.]


Kelly's Directory of Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire & Rutland, and Derbyshire, 1881

FOREMARK is a parish, near the river Trent, comprising the townships of Foremark and Ingleby, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Burton-upon-Trent union, county court district of Derby, rural deanery of Stanton-by-Bridge, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Lichfield, 6½ miles south-south-west from Derby, 3½ north-east from Willington station and 126 from London.  The church of St. Saviour is a small plain building in a debased perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a low western tower containing 4 bells, the two first dated 1668 and the others 1660 and 1662 respectively : the chancel is divided from the nave by a high oak screen of singular design and is glazed : the communion table is a slab of grey marble, measuring 5 feet by 3 feet 6 inches, supported on a wooden table and is the altar consecrated by Bishop Hacket : the font, apparently Early English, consists of a bowl on a pillar-shaped base, 2 feet in diameter by 3 feet 6 inches high : the church has an area of 64 feet 2 inches, by 22 feet : a gallery was erected in 1819 : on the tower and the south exterior wall of the church are several sun-dials, one dated 1650.  The register dates from the year 1662.  The living is a donative curacy, valued at £70, in the gift of Sir Francis Burdett bart. and held by the Rev. Thomas Orrell, of St. Aidans, who resides at Ticknall.  The Hall, a good mansion, was built about 1762.  Sir Francis Burdett bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  Soil, various ; subsoil, sand and gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The acreage is 2,870 ; rateable value, £1,875 ; the population in 1871 was 54 in the township and 178 in the parish.
Sexton, Joseph Pearson.

Letters through Burton-upon-Trent.  The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne

INGLEBY is a township in this parish, 7 miles south from Derby.  Sir Francis Burdett bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  The population in 1871 was 124. – Letters through Derby.  The nearest money order office is at Melbourne.

Foremark
Goodall John, farmer
Matthews William James, farmer
Wartnaby Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Ingleby
Fearn Joseph, farmer
Goodall James, farmer
Mann William Augustus, farmer
Ratcliff Sarah (Mrs.) (exors. of), farmer
Reader Charlotte (Miss), boarding school
Routh Tom, farmer
Stephenson William, farmer
Wright William, shoe maker


Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1887

FOREMARK is a parish, near the river Trent, comprising the townships of Foremark and Ingleby, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Repton petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union, county court district of Derby, 6½ miles south-south-west from Derby, and 3½ north-east from Willington station.  The church of St. Saviour is a small plain building of stone in a debased Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a low western embattled tower containing 4 bells, the two first dated 1668 and the others 1660 and 1662 respectively : the chancel is divided from the nave by a high oak screen of singular design, which is glazed : the communion table is a slab of grey marble, measuring 5 feet by 3 feet 6 inches, supported on a wooden table, and was the altar consecrated by Bishop Hacket : the font, apparently Early English, consists of a bowl on a pillar-shaped base, 2 feet in diameter by 3 feet 6 inches high : the church has an area of 64 feet 2 inches, by 22 feet : a gallery was erected in 1819 at the west end : on the tower and the south exterior wall of the church are sun-dials, one dated 1650 : there are 170 sittings, 45 being free : the register dates from the year 1662.  The living is a donative curacy, gross yearly value £104, in the gift of Col. Sir Francis Burdett bart. and held since 1880 by the Rev. Thomas Orrell, of St. Aidans, who resides at Ticknall.  The Hall is a fine stone mansion, surrounded by beautiful trees and shrubs, a lake of considerable dimensions adorns the ground : it was built in 1762 and is the seat of Colonel Sir Francis Burdett bart. D.L., J.P.  The lord of the manor and principal landowner is Col. Sir Francis Burdett bart.  Soil, various ; subsoil, sand and gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The area of the township is 1,135 acres ; rateable value, £1,629 ; the population in 1881 was 61 in the township and 165 in the parish : 50 acres have been added to Foremark from adjoining parishes.
Sexton, Joseph Pearson.

Letters through Derby arrive at Stanton-by-Bridge & thence by messenger.  The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne

INGLEBY is a township in this parish, 7 miles south from Derby.  Colonel Sir Francis Burdett bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  The area is 756 acres ; rateable value, £1,437 ; the population in 1881 was 104.

Sir Francis Burdett’s School, erected 1835, to hold 26 infants ; average attendance, full ; Miss Mary Ann Taylor, mistress.  The elder children of this place attend Ingleby & Stanton-by-Bridge schools.

Letters through Derby arrive at Stanton-by-Bridge & thence by messenger.  The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne.

Foremark
Burdett Col. Sir Francis bart. D.L., J.P. Foremark hall
Goodall John, farmer
Matthews William, farmer, Foremark Park farm
Matthews William Jas. farmer, Bendall farm

Ingleby
Coxon Joseph, farmer
Fearn Joseph, farmer
Mann William Augustus, farmer, Ingleby Hill farm
Pearson Thomas, farmer
Ratcliff The Misses, farmers
Reader Charlotte (Miss), farmer
Stephenson William, farmer
Wright William, shoe maker


Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1891

FOREMARK is a parish, near the river Trent, 6½ miles south-south-west from Derby, 3½ north-east from Willington station on the Derby and Burton-upon-Trent branch of Midland railway, comprising the townships of Foremark and Ingleby, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Repton petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union, county court district of Derby.  The church of St. Saviour is a small and plain building of stone in a debased Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and a low embattled western tower containing 4 bells, the two first dated 1668 and the others 1660 and 1662 respectively : the chancel is divided from the nave by a high glazed oak screen of singular design : the communion table is a slab of grey marble, measuring 5 feet by 3 feet 6 inches, supported on a wooden frame and is the identical table consecrated by Bishop Hacket : the font, apparently Early English, consists of a bowl on a pillar-shaped base : a gallery was erected in 1819 at the west end : on the tower and the south exterior wall of the church are sun-dials, one of which is dated 1650 : there are 170 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1662.  The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £102, derived partly from the Foremark estate, in the gift of Col. Sir Francis Burdett bart. and held since 1880 by the Rev. Thomas Orrell, of St. Aidans, who resides at Ticknall.  Foremark Hall, built in 1762 and the seat of Col. Sir Francis Burdett bart. D.L., J.P. lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a fine stone mansion, surrounded by beautiful trees and shrubs ; in the grounds is a lake of considerable dimensions.  Soil, various ; subsoil, sand and gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The area of the township is 1,135 acres ; rateable value, £1,539 ; the population in 1881 was 61 in the township and 165 in the parish : 50 acres have been added to Foremark from adjoining parishes.
Sexton, Joseph Pearson.

Letters through Derby arrive at Stanton-by-Bridge & thence by messenger arrive at 9 a.m.  The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne ; the nearest post office at Stanton

Ingleby is a township in this parish, 7 miles south from Derby.  Colonel Sir Francis Burdett bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  The area is 866 acres ; rateable value, £1,345 ; the population in 1881 was 104.

Sir Francis Burdett’s School, erected in 1835, for 26 infants ; average attendance, 22 ; Mrs. Marian Docker, mistress.  The elder children of this place attend Ingleby & Stanton-by-Bridge schools.

Letters through Derby arrive at Stanton-by-Bridge & thence by messenger, arrive at 8.30 a.m.  The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne & the nearest post office at Stanton

Foremark
Burdett Col. Sir Francis bart. D.L., J.P. Foremark hall
Goodall John, farmer
Hutchinson John, farmer, Foremark Park farm
Matthews Wm. Jas. farmer, Bendall farm

Ingleby
Coxon Joseph, farmer
Mann William Augustus, farmer, Ingleby Hill farm
Pearson Thomas, cowkeeper
Poyser Richard, farmer
Stephenson Edward, farmer
Wright William, shoe maker


Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895

FOREMARK is a township and parish, near the river Trent, 3½ miles north-east from Willington station on the Derby and Burton-upon-Trent branch of Midland railway, and 6½ south-south-west from Derby, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Repton petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union, county court district of Derby, in the rural deanery of Melbourne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.  The church of St. Saviour is a small and plain building of stone in a debased Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and a low embattled western tower containing 4 bells, the two first dated 1668 and the others 1660 and 1662 respectively : the chancel is divided from the nave by a high glazed oak screen of singular design : the communion table is a slab of grey marble, measuring 5 feet by 3 feet 6 inches, supported on a wooden frame and is the identical table consecrated by Bishop Hacket : the font, apparently Early English, consists of a bowl on a pillar-shaped base : a gallery was erected in 1819 at the west end : on the tower and the south exterior wall of the church are sun-dials, one of which is dated 1650 : there are 170 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1662.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £102, derived partly from the Foremark estate, in the gift of Sir Francis Burdett bart. and held since 1880 by the Rev. Thomas Orrell, of St. Aidans, who is also incumbent at Calke, and resides at Ticknall.  Foremark Hall, built in 1762 and the seat of Sir Francis Burdett bart. J.P. lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a fine stone mansion, surrounded by beautiful trees and shrubs ; in the grounds is a lake of considerable dimensions.  Soil, various ; subsoil, sand and gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The area of the township is 1,194 acres of land and 13 of water ; rateable value, £1,473 10s. ; the population in 1891 was 93 in the township and 92 in the parish : 50 acres have been added to Foremark from adjoining parishes.
Sexton, Joseph Pearson.

Letters through Derby arrive at Stanton-by-Bridge & thence by messenger arrive at 9 a.m.  The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne ; the nearest post office at Stanton

INGLEBY is a township in this parish, 7 miles south from Derby.  Sir Francis Burdett bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  The area is 866a. 3r. 34p. ; rateable value, £1,322 ; the population in 1891 was 96.

Sir Francis Burdett’s School, erected in 1835, for 26 infants ; average attendance, 12 ; Mrs. Marian Docker, mistress.  The elder children of this place attend Ingleby & Stanton-by-Bridge schools.

Letters through Derby arrive at Stanton-by-Bridge & thence by messenger, arrive at 8.30 a.m.  The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne & the nearest post office at Stanton

Foremark
Burdett Sir Francis bart. J.P. Foremark hall

Commercial
Goodall Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Hutchinson John, farmer, Foremark Park farm
Matthews William Jas. farmer, Bendall farm

Ingleby
Coxon Joseph, farmer
Newbold William K. farmer, Ingleby Hill farm
Pearson Thomas, cowkeeper
Poyser Richard, farmer
Stephenson Edward, farmer
Wright William, shoe maker


Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1912

FOREMARK is a township and parish, near the river Trent, 3½ miles north-east from Willington station on the Derby and Burton-upon-Trent branch of the Midland railway, and 8 south-south-west from Derby, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Repton petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union, county court district of Derby, in the rural deanery of Melbourne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.  The church of St. Saviour is a small and plain building of stone in a debased Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and a low embattled western tower containing 4 bells, the two first dated 1668 and the others 1660 and 1662 respectively : the chancel is divided from the nave by a high glazed oak screen of singular design : the communion table is a slab of grey marble, measuring 5 feet by 3 feet 6 inches, supported on a wooden frame and is the identical table consecrated by Bishop Hacket : the font, apparently Early English, consists of a bowl on a pillar-shaped base : a gallery was erected in 1819 at the west end : on the tower and the south exterior wall of the church are sun-dials, one of which is dated 1650 : there are 170 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1662.  The church was closed in 1909.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £97, derived partly from the Foremark estate, in the gift of Sir Francis Burdett bart. and held since 1904 by the Rev. Thomas James Jones B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who also vicar of and resides at Ticknall.  Foremark Hall, built in 1762 and the seat of Sir Francis Burdett bart. D.L., J.P. lord of the manor and sole landowner, is a fine stone mansion, surrounded by beautiful trees and shrubs ; in the grounds is a lake of considerable dimensions.  Soil, various ; subsoil, sand and gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The area of the township is 1,194 acres of land and 13 of water ; rateable value, £1,325 ; the population in 1901 was 58 in the civil and 152 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Letters through Burton-on-Trent arrive at 9 a.m. week days only.  The nearest post office is at Ingleby, money order office at Repton & telegraph office at Milton, about 1 mile distant.

INGLEBY is a township in this parish, 7 miles south from Derby.  Sir Francis Burdett bart. is lord of the manor and sole landowner.  The area is 903 acres of land and 22 of water ; rateable value, £1,103 ; the population in 1901 was 92.

Sir Francis Burdett’s School, erected in 1835, was closed in 1902  The children of this place attend the school at Ticknall.

Post Office, Ingleby. – Mrs. Mary Ann Forman, sub-postmistress.  Letters through Derby, via Stanton-by-Bridge, arrive & are delivered at 7.45 a.m. ; dispatched at 7 p.m. week days only.  Ticknall is the nearest money order office & Milton, about 2 miles distant, the nearest telegraph office.

Foremark
(Marked thus * postal address, Ticknall, Derby)
Burdett Sir Francis bart. D.L., J.P. Foremark hall
*Craven Andrew, head gamekeeper to Sir Fras. Burdett bart, Knowle hill
*Hall John, farmer, Home farm
Hutchinson Brothers, farmers
Hutchinson Jn. farmer, Seven spouts
Nicklinson Joseph, farmer, Bendalls

Ingleby
Coxon Joseph, farmer & tax collector
Leek John, farmer
Pearson Thomas, cowkeeper
Stevenson Edward, farmer
Wright William, shopkeeper


Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1932

FOREMARK is a township and parish, near the river Trent, 3½ miles north-east from Willington station on the Derby and Burton-upon-Trent branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, and 8 south-south-west from Derby, in the Belper division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, petty sessional division and rural district of Repton, county court district of Derby, rural deanery of Melbourne, archdeaconry and diocese of Derby.  The church of St. Saviour is a small and plain building of stone in a debased Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and a low embattled western tower containing 4 bells, the two first dated 1668 and the others 1660 and 1662 respectively : the chancel is divided from the nave by a high glazed oak screen of singular design : the communion table is a slab of grey marble, measuring 5 feet by 3 feet 6 inches, supported on a wooden frame and is the identical table consecrated by Bishop Hacket : the font, apparently Early English, consists of a bowl on a pillar-shaped base : a gallery was erected in 1819 at the west end : on the tower and the south exterior wall of the church are sun-dials, one of which is dated 1650 : an oak lectern was added in 1920, in memory of the men from the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18 : there are 170 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1662.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £135, derived partly from the Foremark estate, in the gift of Major Sir Francis Burdett bart. D.L., J.P. and held since 1924 by the Rev. Percival Edward Battersby, who also vicar of and resides at Repton.  Foremark Hall, built in 1762 and the seat of Major Sir Francis Burdett bart. D.L., J.P. lord of the manor and sole landowner, is a fine stone mansion, surrounded by beautiful trees and shrubs ; in the grounds is a lake of considerable dimensions.  Soil, various ; subsoil, sand and gravel.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots.  The area of the township is 1,194 acres of land and 13 of water ; rateable value, £1,325 ; the population of the civil parish in 1921 was 49, and of the ecclesiastical, 147.

Letters through Derby.  The nearest T. office is at Milton & M.O. office at Repton.

INGLEBY is a township in this parish, 7 miles south from Derby.  Major Sir Francis Burdett bart. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner.  The area is 903 acres of land and 22 of water ; the population in 1921 was 98.

Letters through Derby, via Stanton-by-Bridge.  Ticknall is the nearest M.O. office & Milton is the nearest T. office.

Foremark
(Marked thus * postal address, Ticknall, Derby)
Burdett Major Sir Francis bart. D.L., J.P. Foremark hall
Commercial
*Bailey Frank, farmer, Home farm
Cole Geo. Head gamekeeper to Maj. A.H. Betterton
*Eason Thos. Farmer, Foremark Park frm
Evans Wm. Morton, farmer, The Bendalls
Picton Llewelyn C. J.P. land steward to Major Sir Francis Burdett bart. D.L., J.P.  T N Repton 34

Ingleby
(Postal address, Ingleby, Stanton-by-Bridge.)
Private Residents
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book)
Wye Lt.-Col. Francis Piers M.C., R.A. Ingleby Toft.  T N Melbourne 35
Commercial
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
*°Hutchinson Gilbert, farmer, Seven Spouts farm
Mellor Frederick, farmer, Elm farm
*Stevenson Victor, farmer, Sycamore farm
°Stone Wm. farmer, Ash & Cuckoo Barn farms
Wright Eliza (Miss), shopkpr


Whipple's Directory of Derbyshire, 1935

INGLEBY is a township in the parish of Foremark, and is 7 miles south of Derby.  The population in 1931 was 98.  Chellaston, 3 miles distant, is the nearest railway station.  Ticknall, 1½ miles distant, is the nearest Money Order Office, and Milton, also 1½ miles distant, is the nearest Telegraph Office.

Atherley Thomas Ernest, labourer
Aucote Arthur Ernest, labourer
Blockley Frederick, labourer
Buxton Thomas Charles, labourer
Cliff Charlotte
Cliff Zilla
Eley William, labourer
Hopkinson Agnes
Johnson Herbert, labourer
Malpass John, furniture dealer
Mellor Frederick, farmer
Payne Charles Hallam
Stevenson Victor, farmer
Summer George, farmer, Ash Farm
Thompson George W., gardener
White John William, labourer
Wright Ella
Yeomans William, farmer, Cuckoo Barn Farm


Back to the Top
Return to the Foremark & Ingleby Parish Page
Return to the Parish Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2003 Brett Payne All Rights Reserved