Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Oakthorpe & Donisthorpe

St John's, Donisthorpe - 24 January 2001 ©
Debbie Goldsmith

Trade Directory Listings & Parish Descriptions (1827-1895)
Parish Registers  - incl. Burial Transcripts (1838-1848)
Monumental Inscriptions
 Wills
Hearth Tax Assessment (1662) & Census Transcripts (1841)
History
Maps (1791-Recent)
Photographs (Recent)
Local Links
Surname Interests
Trade Directory Extracts: Parish Descriptions
OAKTHORPE and DONISTHORPE, a village and hamlet in the parish of Church Gresley, H. of R. and G.
extracted from: The Directory of the County of Derby, by Stephen Glover, 1827-29 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)
Directory Listing

DONISTHORPE and OAKTHORPE are two hamlets adjacent to each other, about four miles from Ashby-de-la-Zouch ; they are both partly in the parish of Church Gresley, Donisthorpe extending into that of Nether Seal, county of Leicester ; and Oakthorpe stretching into Measham parish, and also into that of Stretton-en-le-Fields.  They contained together, in 1831, 757 inhabitants.
extracted from: Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory of Derbyshire, 1835 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)  Directory Listing

DONISTHORPE, a hamlet and joint township, with Oakthorpe, partly in Measham parish and partly in Seal parish, Leicestershire, forms a pleasant village, 3½ miles S.W. from Ashby de la Zouch.  1 mile W. from Oakthorpe, contains 25 houses and 103 inhabitants - of whom 49 were males and 54 females, but the whole hamlet contains 344 inhabitants.  A district church was erected here in 1838, for the joint township and a part of Ashby Wolds, Leicestershire.  It is a neat edifice, dedicated to St John, a perpetual curacy, value £120.  Bishop of Lichfield, patron, and Rev. Francis Jickling, incumbent.  The parsonage is a neat house, west of the church.  The Misses Moore principally erected the church and endowed it, aided by a grant from the Incorporated Society, and a contribution from the Marquis of Hastings.  It contains 400 sittings, of which 200 are unappropriated.  A national school was erected in 1840.  The inhabitants are principally employed at the collieries or lime works on Ashby Woulds.
OAKTHORPE. a hamlet, partly situated in the parishes of Measham and of Stretton-en-le-Fields, forms a joint township with Donisthorpe in Church Gresley parish, 4 miles S.S.W. from Ashby-de-la-Zouch.  The joint township contains 1,112 acres of fertile land, of which the tithe commisiioners, in 1845, allotted and valued 325 acres to Measham and Stretton-in-the-Field parishes, and 787 to Church Gresley ; rateable value £1,458.  Principal owners are - Sir John Robert Cave Browne Cave, Bart., Sir Charles Abney Hastings, Bart. ; Rev. Sir Nigel Gresley ; Charles S. Geaves, Esq. ; Robert Choyce, Esq. ; executors of the Marquis of Hastings ; Edward Stevenson, Esq. ; and Repton school.  This hamlet contains 139 houses, of which 75 are in Church Gresley, 7 in Measham parish, and 57 in Stretton-in-the-Field parish, and the total population 607, of which 331 were in Gresley, 32 in Measham, and 244 in Stretton.  Here is a national school, and the Methodists and Primitive Methodists each have chapels.
extracted from: History, Gazetteer and Directory of Derbyshire, by Samuel Bagshaw, 1846 (Collection of C.B. Payne)  Directory Listing

DONISTHORPE  (St John)  an ecclesiastical district, in the union of Ashby-de-la-Zouche, partly in the parish of Nether Seal, Western Division of the hundred of Goscote, Northern Division of the county of Leicester, and partly in the parishes of Church-Gresley, Measham, and Stretton-en-le-Fields, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Southern Division of the county of Derby, 3½ miles southwest from Ashby-de-la-Zouch;  containing about 1,700 inhabitants, of whom 344 are in the hamlet of Donisthorpe.  The district includes Oakthorpe and Moira;  the Moira baths are celebrated for the cure of rheumatism, and
there is a convenient hotel for the accommodation of visitors.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield [he appoints the clergyman];  net income, £150, with a parsonage-house.  The impropriate tithes of Donisthorpe have been commuted for £87.  The church, dedicated to St John, was built and endowed in 1838, at an expense of £6,000, chiefly by three maiden ladies of the name of MOORE;  it is a neat edifice, with a tower and pinnacles.  A national school was built in 1840, by Sir John CAVE BROWNE CAVE, Bart, by whom also, it is supported.
OAKTHORPE,  a hamlet, in the union of Ashby, partly in the parishes of Measham and Stretton-en-le Fields, but chiefly in that of Church-Gresley, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Southern Division of the county of Derby, 2 3/4 miles southwest by south from Ashby; containing 607 inhabitants.  A tithe rent-charge of £50 is paid to the Rector of Stretton, and one of £153 to certain impropriators.  There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
extracted from: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, Vol 2, 1848, p.69 & p.468, by Sonia Addis-Smith

DONISTHORPE and OAKTHORPE, are two hamlets adjacent to each other, about four miles from Ashby-de-la-Zouch ; they are both partly in the parish of Church-Gresley, Donisthorpe extending into that of Nether Seal, in Leicestershire, and Oakthorpe stretching into Measham parish, and Stretton-en-le-Fields.  A church was erected at Donisthorpe, in 1838, and dedicated to St. John ; there is also a school on the national plan.
extracted from: Slater's Directory of Derbyshire, 1850 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)  Directory Listing

DONISTHORPE, is a considerable village, and joint township with Oakthorpe, partly in Measham parish, and partly in the parish of Seal, Leicestershire, 3½ miles S.W. from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and 17 miles S.W. from Derby, contains 366A. 0R. 35P. of land, and in 1851, had 92 houses, and 392 inhabitants, of whom 189 were males, and 203 females ; rateable value £593 14s.  The principal owners are Sir Mylles Cave Brown Cave, Bart., Sir Charles Abney Hastings, Bart., Rev. Sir Thomas Gresley, Charles S. Greaves Esq., Robert Choyce, Esq., and Mr. William Turner.  A district Church, dedicated to St. John, was erected and endowed here in 1838, principally by the Misses Moor, aided by a grant from the Incorporated society, and a contribution from the Marquis of Hastings.  It is for the joint township and a part of Ashby Wolds, Leicestershire.  It is a neat stone edifice, with tower and one bell, and contains 480 sittings, of which 200 are free.  The living is a perpetual curacy, value £140, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev. Francis Jickling.  The parsonage is a neat brick residence, west of the church.  The Primitive Methodists have a small neat brick chapel here.  A National school was erected in 1840, at the sole expense of Lady Cave.  In 1852, this school was converted into an infant school, and is supported principally by that lady, the children paying a small trifle weekly.  The inhabitants are principally employed at the collieries and limeworks, on Ashby Wolds.  Directory Listing
OAKTHORPE, a village, and joint township with Donisthorpe, situated in the parishes of Measham and Stretton-en-le-Field, 3 miles S.S.W. from Ashby-de-la-Zouch.  The joint township contains 1,112 acres of land, and in 1851, had 241 houses and 983 inhabitants, of whom 477 were males, and 506 females ; rateable value £1,458.  This hamlet contains 745A. 3R. 5P. of land, and in 1851, had 149 houses, and 591 inhabitants, of whom 288 were males and 303 females ; rateable value £864 6s.  The principal owners are Sir Chas. Abney Hastings, Bart., John Peddocke, Esq., executors of the Marquis of Hastings, Edward Stevenson, Esq., and Repton school.  The Methodists and Primitive Methodists have each places of worship here.  Here is a lodge of the ancient order of Druids.  The tithes of the whole township were purchased in 1838, by Messrs. Browne and Kidge, of Astley, for about £800, from the executors of the late Thomas Elton, Esq.  Directory Listing
extracted from: Directory of Derbyshire, by F. White & Co., 1857

DONISTHORPE is a considerable village, and joint township with Oakthorpe, partly in Measham parish, and partly in the parish of Seal, Leicestershire, 3½ miles S.W. from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and 17 miles S.W. from Derby. Directory Listing
OAKTHORPE, a village, and joint township with Donisthorpe.  Directory Listing
extracted from: Harrison, Harrod, and Co.'s Directory  and Gazetteer of Derbyshire, 1860 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)

DONISTHORPE is a hamlet, four miles W.S.W. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, containing about 420 inhabitants, of whom 200 are in Seal parish, 163 in Church Gresley parish, and 57 in Measham parish.  The two latter portions are in Derbyshire.  Donisthorpe keeps its poor with the hamlet of Oakthorpe (600 souls), which is in Derbyshire, and lies in the three parishes of Church Gresley, Measham, and Stretton-en-le-Field.  The township of Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe, in in Ashby Union.  In 1838, a Church was built at Donisthorpe, by subscription ; and the hamlets of Donisthorpe and Oakthorpe, with part of Ashby Wolds, were formed into an ecclesiastical district, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.  It is a neat edifice, with a tower and one bell, and near it is a good Parsonage House.  The perpetual curacy, valued at £145 per annum, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev. Francis Jickling.  A National School was built here in 1840, by the late Sir John Browne Cave, Bart., whose family owns a great part of the hamlet.  Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, erected in 1853, and a Pillar Letter Box.  Post from Ashby.  Directory Listing
extracted from: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland, by William White, 1863 (on microfiche publ. by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society)

OAKTHORPE (N.B. This directory only includes the part of Oakthorpe hamlet lying within Stretton-en-le-Field parish)
extracted from: C.N. Wright's Directory of South Derbyshire, October 1874 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)Directory Listing

DONISTHORPE is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1838 from the civil parishes of Church Gresley, Measham and Stretton-en-le-Field, and Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Seal, in Leicestershire, in the rural deanery of Hartshorne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Lichfield. DONISTHORPE and OAKTHORPE hamlets form a joint township in this ecclesiatical parish.  Donisthorpe parish is in the Southern division of the county, partly in the hundred of Repton and Gresley and partly in that of West Goscote, in the union and county court district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, 114 miles from London, 3 south-west from Ashby-de-la-Zouch and 8 south-east from Burton-upon-Trent.  Here is a station on the Ashby and Nuneaton joint line of the Midland and London and North Western railways.  The church of St. John is a building in the Perpendicular style, erected in 1838, and consisting of chancel, nave, and western tower containing a clock and 1 bell.  The register dates from the year 1838.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £210, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield and held by the Rev. Francis Spedding B.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.  Here is a Wesleyan Reform chapel.  A cemetery, containing 1½ acres of ground, was opened here in 1875.  There is a colliery, worked by Messrs. Checkland, Son and Williams.  The principal landowners are the Earl of Loudoun, Sir Mylles Cave-Brown-Cave bart. Messrs. G. Cooper, S. Greaves, Drewry, and some small freeholders.  The soil is mixed : subsoil, chiefly clay.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, and oats.  The area is 447 acres ; rateable value £4,059.  The population of the hamlet of Donisthorpe in 1881 was 772.  Parish Clerk, Joseph Plummer.  Letters through Ashby-de-la-Zouch, which is the nearest money order office.  Thomas Talbot, receiver.  Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.25 p.m. on week days ; & at 10.40 a.m. on sunday.  National School, Miss Annie Jewsbury, mistress. Railway Station, William Hemming, station master.  Directory Listing
OAKTHORPE is a hamlet, in the parishes of Church Gresley, Measham and Stretton-en-le-Field, hundreds of Repton and Gresley, and West Goscote, union and county court district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, 3 miles south-west from Ashby-de-la-Zouch and 10 north from Atherstone.  There are chapels for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan Reformers.  There is a colliery worked by the Moira Company.  Lord Donington is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are the Earl of Loudoun, Lord Donington and Thomas Wright esq. and the Governors of Repton school.  The area is 715 acres ; rateable value, £2,751.  Letters through Ashby-de-la-Zouch, which is the nearest money order office.  National School, Miss Mary Greenway, mistress.  Directory Listing
extracted from: Kelly's Directory of Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire & Rutland, and Derbyshire, 1881 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)

DONISTHORPE is a parish formed in 1838 from the civil parishes of Church Gresley, Measham, and Stretton-en-le-Field, and Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Seal, in Leicestershire, in the rural deanery of Hartshorne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.  DONISTHORPE and OAKTHORPE hamlets form a joint township in this ecclesiatical parish.  Donisthorpe parish is in the Southern division of the county, partly in the hundred of Repton and Gresley and partly in that of West Goscote, Swadlincote petty sessional division, in the union and county court district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, 114 miles from London, 3 south-west from Ashby-de-la-Zouch and 8 south-east from Burton-upon-Trent.  Here is a station on the Ashby and Nuneaton joint line of the Midland and London and North Western railways.  The church of St. John is a building of grey sandstone in the Perpendicular style, erected in 1838, and consisting of chancel, nave, and an embattled western tower, surmounted by pinnacles, and containing a clock and 1 bell : there are 500 sittings, 200 being free.  The register dates from the year 1838.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, including 17 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Edward Bertram Lavies T.A.K.C.I.  Here are two Primitive Methodist chapels.  A cemetery, containing 1½ acres of ground, was opened here in 1875, and is under the control of a burial board of 9 members.  There is a colliery, worked by Messrs. Checkland, Son and Williams.  The principal landowners are Lord Donington, Sir Mylles Cave-Brown-Cave bart. Messrs. G. Cooper, S. Greaves, Drewry, and some small freeholders.  The soil is mixed ; subsoil, chiefly clay.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, and oats.  The area is 1,162 acres : rateable value, £6,621.  The population for the township in 1881 was 1,494, and of the parish was 2,600.  Parish Clerk, Joseph Plummer.  Post & Money Order Office & Savings Bank. - Thomas Talbot, receiver.  Letters arrive through Ashby-de-la-Zouch at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.25 p.m. on week days, & arriving at 7.30 a.m. & dispatched at 10.40 a.m. on sundays.  Overseal is the nearest telegraph office.  Insurance Agent :- Phoenix Fire, W. Hunt.  National School (mixed), erected in 1830 for 66 children ; average attendance, 80 ; Miss Elizabeth Moore, mistress.  Directory Listing
OAKTHORPE is a hamlet in the parish of Donisthorpe, hundreds of Repton and Gresley and West Goscote, union and county court district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and 3 miles south-west of Ashby-de-la-Zouch.  There are chapels for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan Reformers.  There is a colliery worked by the Moira Company.  Lord Donington is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are the Earl of Loudoun, Lord Donington and Thomas Wright esq. and the governors of Repton school.  Post Office, Thomas Betteridge, receiver. - Letters through Ashby-de-la-Zouch arrive at 7.30 a.m. ; sundays 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. ; sundays, dispatched at 10.20 a.m.  Ashby-de-la-Zouch is the nearest money order & telegraph office.  Wesleyan School (mixed), erected in 1875 for 108 children ; average attendance, 70 ; Miss Alice Canwell, mistress.  Carrier to Ashby, Eli Cashmore, saturdays.  Directory Listing
extracted from: Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1887 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)

DONISTHORPE  is a parish formed in 1838 from the civil parishes of Church Gresley, Measham, and Stretton-en-le-Field, and Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Seal, in Leicestershire, with a station on the Ashby and Nuneaton joint line of the Midland and London and North Western railways, 3 miles south-west from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, 8 south-east from Burton-upon-Trent and 114 from London, in the Southern division of the county of Derby and the Western division of Leicestershire, hundreds of Repton, Gresley, West Goscote, Swadlincote petty sessional division, union and county court district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, riral deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.  Donisthorpe and Oakthorpe hamlets form a joint township in this ecclestiastical parish.  The church of St. John the Evangelist, erected in 1838, is a building of grey sandstone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, west porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and one bell : the nave was restored in 1889-90, at a cost of £350, and further restorations were effected in 1891, at a cost of £220 : there are 500 sittings, 200 being free.  The register dates from the year 1838.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, icluding 17 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Edward Bertram Lavies T.A.K.C.L.  Here are two Primitive Methodist chapels.  A cemetery, containing 1½ acres was opened in 1875, and is under the control of the Parish Council of Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe and Urban District Council of Moira.  There is a colliery, worked by Messrs. Checkland, Son and Williams, and the brewery of G. and W.F. Cooper.  The principal landowners are Lord Donington, Sir Mylles Cave-Brown-Cave bart. Messrs. W.F. Cooper, S. Greaves, Drewry and some small freeholders.  The soil is mixed ; subsoil, chiefly clay.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, and oats.  The area is 1,162 acres : rateable value, including Oakthorpe, £6,746 ; the population for the township in 1891 was 1,678, and of the parish 2,955.  Post, M.O. & T.O, S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office. - Thomas Talbot, sub-postmaster.  Letters arrive through Ashby-de-la-Zouch at 6.40 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.15 p.m. on week days & arriving at 7.15 a.m. & dispatched at 11.45 a.m. on sundays.  National School (mixed), erected in 1830, for 66 children ; average attendance, 82 ; Frank Walton, master.  Railway Station, Thomas Choyce, station master.  Directory Listing
OAKTHORPE is a hamlet in the parish of Donisthorpe, hundreds of Repton and Gresley and West Goscote, union and county court district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and 3 miles south-west of Ashby-de-la-Zouch.  Here are Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan and Wesleyan Reform chapels.  Lord Donington is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are the Earl of Loudoun, Lord Donington, Thomas Wright esq. and the governors of Repton school.  Post Office. - Thomas Betteridge, sub-postmaster. Letters through Ashby-de-la-Zouch arrive at 7.15 a.m. ; sundays, 7.55 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.55 p.m. ; sundays, dispatched at 11.15 a.m.  Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.  Donisthorpe is the nearest money order & telegraph office.  Wesleyan School (mixed), erected in 1875, for 108 children ; average attendance 70 ; Alfred Baylis, master.  Directory Listing
extracted from: Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)
Back to Top
These Transcripts © 2001 Brett Payne and Sonia Addis-Smith


Parish Registers
Before 1838, registers for the parishes of Church Gresley, Measham (Derbyshire), Stretton-en-le-Field, Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Netherseal (Seal) (Leicestershire) should be searched for entries relating to Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe.  In 1838, Donisthorpe became a District Chapelry, with the addition of most of the township of Oakthorpe and the township of Ashby Woulds (formerly in Ashby-de-la-Zouch parish). Donisthorpe became a parish in the Diocese of Lichfield in 1869, then in the Diocese of Southwell from 1884. Donisthorpe was transferred from Derbyshire to Leicestershire in 1897, and has been in the Diocese of Lichfield since 1927. Parts of Oakthorpe, however, remained in the parishes of Church Gresley, Measham and Stretton-en-le-Field, although from the early 1880s onwards, the hamlet was within Donisthorpe parish.
Compiled from: Derbyshire Record Office "Parish Register List", 1998, p.40 & 67 and National Index of Parish Registers, Vol 6, Part 3, Leicestershire and Rutland, by Cliff Webb, publ. by the Society of Genealogists, 1995, p.36 & 73, kindly extracted by
Sonia Addis-Smith

Donisthorpe Baptism, Marriage & Burial Registers
The original parish registers for St John the Evangelist, Donisthorpe, are held at the Lichfield Record Office, as follows: Baptisms (1838-1974), Marriages (1838-1990) and Burials (1838-1976). The LDS Church has only filmed the Bishop's Transcripts for the period 1838-1869.
Some Donisthorpe baptisms from the period 1838-1864 (I assume extracted from BTs) are included on the IGI, and may be searched on-line from the LDS Family Search web site. Be warned, however, that they are probably incomplete. Use Batch # C059311 in the relevant field.

Donisthorpe Burials 1838-1848  TranscriptSurname Index  Transcribed by Debbie Goldsmith & indexed by Brett Payne
Debbie is currently transcribing burials for the post-1838 period, and has very kindly offered to do look-ups in the mean time. Please contact her directly with your queries.


Monumental Inscriptions
The following monumental inscriptions of the parish churchyard of St John's, Donisthorpe were collected by Nigel Wilton, and prepared for inclusion on this web site by his sister
Geraldine Bancroft.  Production of the surname index was done by Brett Payne.
St John's Donisthorpe Monumental Inscriptions
Surname Index

Wills
This section will be devoted to Transcripts of Wills relating to the parishes of Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe.  Wills often contain items of local historical interest, material of significance to unrelated families, and will sometimes include that vital piece of information which will break through the "brick wall" that has been impeding the progress of your research for so long.  If you have the transcripts of any wills which you would care to have included on this web site, please
Email me.  If you've had trouble deciphering a will, and would like some assistance, I'd be happy to give it a try.

Census Transcripts
1662 Hearth Tax Assessments 
OakthorpeDonisthorpe  © 1982 Derbyshire Record Society (Reprinted by permission)
OCRd and indexed by Brett Payne

1841 Census of Oakthorpe  TranscriptSurname Index
Transcribed by Gill Castle & indexed by Brett Payne

1841 Census of Donisthorpe  TranscriptSurname Index  (including the Leicestershire portion of the parish)
Transcribed by Gill Castle (Derbyshire) & Debbie Goldsmith (Leicestershire) & indexed by Brett Payne


History
Donisthorpe at  War by J.A. Wright
Donisthorpe at War by J.A. Wright Jenny Wright has gone to an enormous amount of effort to record the memories of thirty-three of Donisthorpe's inhabitants during the Second World War.  The routines of everyday, albeit very different, life during the war, the stories about the hardships, and the good times, the memorials to those who never returned from active service, and several first-hand accounts of the day that the village was bombed, make an absorbing read.  I can thoroughly recommend this book to all who have family from Donisthorpe.  Included on this web site - click on the photo or the link above - are brief extracts and photos from each chapter, as well as a list of all surnames included in the book.  Order your own copy of the book directly from Jenny, for a very reasonable price, which I can't believe does much more than cover costs.

Maps

Burdett's 1791 Map of Derbyshire

Ordnance Survey 1":1 mile Map (1946)

Ordnance Survey 1:50 000 Map (?1970s)

Ordnance Survey 1:25 000 Map (?1970s) Key below
 A
B
C
D
E
F
Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 Map (6":1 mile) c. 1887
Donisthorpe Oakthorpe

UK Street Maps
Overview of S Derbyshire & NW Leicestershire
Detail of Donisthorpe & Oakthorpe villages


Photographs
Recent Photographs of
Donisthorpe Village by Debbie Goldsmith

Local Links
GENUKI Donisthorpe
Measham & the Mease Valley - Archaeology & History to 1300 AD  DonisthorpeOakthorpe
Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway - A Short History
Donisthorpe - Midland Railway Photos
Donisthorpe Colliery - History
Peak District Mines Historical Society Ltd. - Coal Mines
Oakthorpe & Donisthorpe Parish Council

Surname & Historical Interests
If you would like to add your Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe surname interests in here, please
Email me.  I can also insert hyper-links from the entries in the Trade Directory Listings to your contact details. If you are able to provide some genealogical or historical information about your family and its relationship with the villages of Oakthorpe & Donisthorpe, this would also be most welcome.
Back to Top
Return to the Parish Page Index
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
This page last updated on 12 July 2002 © Brett Payne
GenDesk QueryBoard & Genealogy Chat Room