Descriptions of parishes and lists of tradesmen et al. extracted
various 19th and 20th Century Trade Directories & Gazetteers,
by Brett Payne.
Glover 1829 Glover 1833 Pigot 1835Bagshaw 1846 Slater 1850White 1857Harrison 1860 Wright 1874Kelly 1881Kelly 1887 Kelly 1895Kelly 1912Kelly 1932
|Baptisms, marriages and burials 1570-1721
Baptisms and Burials 1722-1732
Baptisms, marriages and burials 1733-1812
Baptisms 1813-1937 Marriages 1813-1837
|FHL BRITISH Film 1042082 Items 13-17|
Vestry Book 1856-1869 (Includes: Vestry Meetings and Accounts)
|FHL BRITISH Film 1042083 Items 1-3|
Bishop's Transcripts, 1661-1856
The Bishops' Transcripts, held at Lichfield Joint Records Office, have also beeen filmed:
|Baptisms, marriages and burials 1661-1810||FHL BRITISH Film 422194 Item 1|
|Baptisms, marriages and burials 1813-1856||FHL BRITISH Film 497396 Item 1|
Marriages at Chellaston, 1570-1812
Also on microfilm:
|Marriages at Chellaston, 1570-1812||FHL BRITISH Film 496693 Item 6|
Cemetery and Burial Records of Chellaston, Derbyshire, 1934-1997
These have filmed by the LDS church, details as follows:
|Register of burials, 1934-1969.
Register of graves, 1934-1997.
|VAULT BRITISH Film 2094164 Items 5 - 6|
|1841||FHL BRITISH Film 241295|
|1851 p. 480-496||FHL BRITISH Film 87770|
|1861||FHL BRITISH Film 542979|
|1871||FHL BRITISH Film 839763|
|1881||FHL BRITISH Film 1341809|
|1891 RG 12/2721 (3 fiches)||FHL BRITISH Fiche 6097831|
The following Chellaston census records have been transcribed by and are reproduced on this web site by kind courtesy of the Chellaston History Group. Formatting and indexing have been done by Brett Payne. N.B. The transcript files are slightly larger than usual for this web site, so may take a little longer than normal to load. Please be patient.
In Celerdestune, Ulsi had four ox-gangs of land to be
Land to half a plough. It is waste. There are four acres of
meadow, value in King Edward’s time 12s. now 3s. Almaric holds
In Cellesdune, Osmund had four ox-gangs of land, and a third part of
ox-gang to be taxed. Land to six oxen. He himself holds it
under the king, and has there three villanes with half a plough and two
acres and a half of meadow. Wood-pasture, three quarentens long
two broad. Value in king Edward’s time 10s. now 5s. In
was one carucate and a half of land, soke to Mileburn. Domesday
Book. 293, 311, 327.
Part of the manor of Chellaston was held under the crown, and part under Henry de Ferrers after the Conquest. In the reign of Henry III. Robert, the son of Engelaramus de Nottingham held lands here, as did William de Chelardeston, 31 Edward I.  who married Jean, granddaughter and heir of Nicholas Musard, baron of Crich. In 19 Edward II.  it appears that John de Combewell, co. Nottingham, and Idonea, his wife, claimed William Chelardeston’s lands, Joan, his wife’s lands, here and elsewhere. Idonea, we suppose, was daughter and heir to Chelardeston. King John granted to Hugh de Beauchamp the manor of Melbourn, together with a carucate of land thereto belonging, at Chellaston, which land the said Hugh gave, in marriage with his daughter, to William Fitz Geoffrey. In 4 Edward I.  William de Frescheville held two-thirds and William de Bredon one-third of the said land, which was then said to be in the wapentake of Litchurch. In 36 Henry III.  that king granted to Ralph de Frescheville free warren in several manors, and amongst them that of Chellaston is included. Witnesses to this charter are Roger de Lokington, Ralf de Bakepuize, &c. In 1307, Robert de Holland had a grant of the manor of Chellaston. In 1499, William Ashby, esq. died, and left this manor to his son William, under the honour of Tutbury. About this time and before, the Dean and Canons of the Newark College, in Leicester, held lands here, which was probably given to them by the founder, Henry, Duke of Lancaster, about the middle of the reign of Edward III. After the dissolution of the abbeys, 32 Henry VIII.  Christopher Hunt, esq. was possessed of it, and left it to his son Thomas. In 2 Edward VI.  Rowland Babington, esq. held lands here, under the honour of Tutbury, which he left to his grandson Francis, as did Sir Henry Sacheverell, who dying, 5 or 6 Philip and Mary, left his estates to his son John. In 16 Elizabeth , Sir Richard Harpur, Chief Justice of the King’s Bench held lands here, and left them to his son John, which lands are still in the possession of their descendant, Sir George Crewe, bart. The Earl of Huntingdon sold the manor-house and a considerable estate to a family of the name Whinyates, who afterwards re-sold it in parcels ; when the manor-house and about 80 acres of land became the property of Mr. Wright. Mr. Orton, of Derby, having purchased the same from the Wright family, says that the Earl of Huntingdon conveyed the manorial rights with the estate ; that he is in possession of the original deeds to that effect, and he considers himself clearly entitled to the manorial rights. The Marquess of Hastings still enjoys them, by inheritance from the Earls of Huntingdon.
'Ceolh(e)ard's farm', v. tun. The form Ceoleardesbeorge 'Ceolh(e)ard's hill', v. beorg appears in the bounds of Weston upon Trent and is almost certainly Chellaston Hill.
CHELLASTON HILL (6"), 1836 O, v. Chellaston supra.
THE GREEN (6"), the Green 1580 Lanc, v. grene.
HALL LANE (6"), cf. Halleflate 13th Dale, v. hall, flat.
NEWTON COTTAGE (6"), cf. Reginald Newton 1543 SR.
SHELTON LOCK, Sheldon Wharf 1836 O.
SNELLSMOOR LANE (6"), Snellesmere, Swellesmar' 13th Dale, perhaps 'Snell's pool', v. mere.
WESTHILL HO (6"), Westhul 13th ib, v. west, hyll.
The principal forms in (a) are 1791 EnclA; all others are Dale except where noted.
(a) the Acres; Backside; Bandlands (v. bean, land); Barley Croft; Bonehills; Bootmoor Hedge; Booton Field; Bradmoor (Brademer 13th, v. brad, mere); Bull Furlong; Burne; Church Balk; Cliff Furlong (cf. Redeclif 13th, v. read, clif); Crown Lands; Dumelows Leys; Dykes; Elder Stubbs (probably le Elrinestub Hy 3 Darley, v. elren, stubb); Fellow Lands; Fisher Pitts; Flatts; Foremans Flatt; Groves Nook; Headlands (v. heafod-land); Henshaws Croft; Hill Nook; Hollymoor; Holme (v. holmr); Hunger Hill (v. hungor, hyll); Jack o'th Ruley; Mill Moor Baulk; Nether Side (v. neodera, side); Newgate; New Taken In; Nothills; Park Nook; Pikes Lands; Pinchern Roods; Pingreaves Nook (cf. Pingreave Close 1690 DbAns xxiii); Rewley Flatt; Rushy Carr Close; Rye Butts; Sandy Hills; Shoots (v. sceat); Slade Lands; Small Meer Close; Stadmoor Flatts; Stubble Close; Thulstone Furlong (Thurleston forlong' 13th, named from Thulston supra 462); Townsend (Attetounesende de Chelardeston 1377 Cor (p), v. tun, ende); Tumbling Croft; Tuphurst (to be identified with Tuphall Close 1690 DbAns xxiii); Under the Cliff; Walker Yard; Water Galls (v. waeter, galla); Water Rundle (v. waeter, rynel); Weedy Beds; Wet Pool; Wet Thurrows; Whittinglands; Windmill Hill; Wren Park (v. infra 758).
(b) Glerynsonb' 13th; Longhol' 13th (v. lang, hol); Meruinesflat' 13th ('Merewine's division in the common field', v. flat); Middilbothin (sic) 13th (v.middel, botm); Otehul 13th (v. ate, hyll); Wyteleyes Hy 3 (v.hwit, laes).
Alabaster: A history of the gypsum industries of Chellaston,
by John Young
Published by Derbyshire Museum Service, c1990 (Nottingham : Barnes & Humby Ltd.) 68 p. : ill. (some col.), maps, ports. ISBN/ISSN 090675318X
Published by the Chellaston History Group, and available for
purchase from the Derbyshire
Family History Society.
A CHELLASTON MAN'S JOURNAL - From late 18th to early 19th C
AN INTRO. TO THE HISTORY OF CHELLASTON & ITS CHURCH
CHELLASTON THEN & NOW - comparison photos
CHELLASTON RECOLLECTIONS - old photos of the village
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids