White's 1863 Leicestershire
& Rutland Trade Directory BLACKFORDBY, sometimes called
is a village, township, and chapelry, containing 627 inhabitants, and 114A.
of land, two miles W.N.W. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and all in that parish
except a small part of Boothorpe Hamlet, which is in the parish
of Seale. Philip de Belmeis, lord of the manor of Ashby (of which
Blackfordby forms part), gave the chapel of Blackfordby, with sixty acres
attached, to the Abbey of Lilleshull, in Shropshire. In 1313, the
abbot of Lilleshull held half a knight's fee in Blackfordby of Alan-la-Zouch.
In 1534, the curate of Blackfordby received an annual pension of 40s. from
the Abbey, and a like payment is still made to the vicar of Ashby-de-la-Zouch
by the Marquis of Hastings. In 1630, William and Ralph Joyce were
freeholders here. Lady Edith Abney Hastings owns the great tithes
and most of the soil, the rest of which belongs to Thomas Stokes, Esq.,
Mr. J.H. Joyce, and smaller proprietors. The ancient Chapel,
dedicated to St. Margaret, was taken down in 1857, and a handsome Church
erected on its site by subscription and grants, at a cost of £1700.
It stands on lofty ground, which commands an extensive prospect, from Cannock
Chase to Charnwood Forest, embracing in its range no less than twenty five
village churches, and the spires of Lichfield Cathedral. It is in
the early English style, and consists of nave and chancel, together 85
feet in length. The width of the former is 25 feet, and of the latter
16. On the north side of the chancel, and separated from it by two
arches, is an aisle seven feet wide, divided crosswise by a screen.
One half is used as a vestry, and the other is intended for an organ.
On the south side, and forming the principal entrance, stands a tower,
surmounted by a broach spire, rising to the height of 100 feet. Stone
found on the spot was used for the greater part of the work. All
the sittings are open benches, and will accommodate 295 persons, including
90 children. The opening services were held October 27th, 1858.
The vicar of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, or his curate, does duty here once every
Sunday, alternately in the morning and afternoon. The burial ground
adjoining was enlarged in 1847, Thos. Stokes, Esq., and Miss Mary Joyce
Stokes, giving land for the purpose. The Parish Register of Births
and Deaths (the custom of performing the marriage ceremony here having
been long disused), commences in 1813 ; but Mr. John Hall Joyce has in
his possession a document purporting to be "A perfect and true Reigester
of all that have beene borne, and of all that have died, and of all that
have been married in the towne of Blackfordby and Boothorpe, within the
parish of Ashby-de-la-Zuch, in the county of Leicester, since the twentieth
day of February, in the yeare of our God, one thousand six hundred, fiftie
and three, by Nil'as Joyce." The last entry bears date February 7,
1799. The Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1823, and enlarged in
1860, will seat 150 persons ; and here is a National School, built
in 1843. The village feast is on the Sunday before St. James'
Day. The poor participate in the charities of Ashby, as being within
that parish, and the male children of the inhabitants are entitled equally
with those of Ashby to all the benefits of the Free Grammar School, including
the valuable exhibitions in the gift of the trustees. The interest
of several small sums left at various times by William Joyce, Henry Cantrell,
Thomas Cherribough, Richard Mugliston, Wm. Elliot, Wm. Aldridge, and Mary
Linford, is expended in bread, which is distributed to the poor on St.
Thomas' Day. Mr. Chamberlain left 10s. yearly for a sermon on the
5th of November. George Ross, of Derby, by his will, dated 12th June,
1847, left £200 to his executors, Messrs. J.H. Joyce and W. Abell,
in trust to invest the same in Government stock, and apply the yearly dividends
arising therefrom, at their own discretion, to the benefit of the poor
of Blackfordby. Mr. Ross died the same year ; his wife (Elizabeth
Joyce), at whose request the bequest was made, was buried at Blackfordby,
April 5, 1847.
POST from Ashby-de-la-Zouch,
daily. Here is a pillar letter box.
& Non-Conformist Registers
of Blackfordby, Parish of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Chapel of St. Margaret Phillimore's Atlas &
Index of Parish Registers shows registers for the period 1653-1973 to have
been deposited, presumably at the Leicestershire Record Office. However,
it also states that copies of the registers for the period 1561-1854 are
held by the Society of Genealogists. Some of the Bishop's Transcripts,
held at the Joint Record Office at Lichfield, have been filmed by the LDS
church, although there are numerous gaps in this record.
Baptisms, marriages and
LDS FHL BRITISH Film 587975
Bishop's Transcripts 1630-1895
- transcribed by Brett Payne
Records & Other Lists The LDS church has filmed
the 1841-1891 Census records for Blackfordby - details are as follows:
1841 - LDS Film No 438746
1851 - LDS Film No 87710
1861 - LDS Film No 542945
1871 - LDS Film No 839275
1881 - LDS Film No 1341748
1891 - LDS Fiche No 6097619
(RG 12/2509 - 4 fiches)
Attic at Swadlincote has the following included in their holdings:
1871 Census Index
Extract from White's
1863 Leicestershire & Rutland Trade Directory Astle Thomas, shopkeeper
Bagnall George, cashier
Baker Geo. cow leech and
Bucknall Samuel, brewer
Ensor Henry Loader, fire
brick, &c., manufacturer, Shrubbery House Gregson Charles, tailor
Harvey Rd. baker and vict.
Bell Illsley Gilbert, shopkeeper
Joyce Nicholas, archt. and
Leedham John, beerhouse
Newman James, blacksmith
Perry Capt. Wm. Fredk. Boothorpe Spriggs Emma, schoolmistress
Taylor Wm. grocer &
vict. Black Lion Timmins Thomas, baker
Underwood John, shoemaker
Bacon George, Boothorpe *Bradley Thos. (& brick,
*Brown Henry, Norris
Hill Timney James
Illsley George, Boothorpe *Joyce John Hall, The
Hall *Moore Wm. Gdfy.
Ward John Geo.