Search billions of records on

April 8, 2015



The Family of
Walter Stanley Boyer


      The third child of Lew and Henrietta Boyer, Walter Stanley Boyer was born on October 26, 1898, in Easton, Pennsylvania.  Previous sections discuss Walter's parents, Lewis and Henrietta Boyer, and other Boyer ancestors Parallel to this section are parts dealing with Walter's five brothers and one sister. See also a Photo Gallery of the Boyers of Easton. This section contains the following parts:

The Boyers of Easton
Photo Gallery of the Boyers of Easton
The Boyers of Orwigsburg
Neil Boyer's Home Page

Walter Boyer's History

        Walter Stanley Boyer was born at the home of his parents, Lew and Henrietta Waltman Boyer, at 1009 Lincoln Street, on the South Side of Easton, Pennsylvania, on October 26, 1898.  Best educated of his immediate family, Walter graduated from Easton High School and received a Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry from Lafayette College in Easton in 1922, a Bachelor of Theology degree from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1925, and a Master's degree in theology from Boston University in 1930.  He entered the Students' Army Training Corps at Lafayette in 1918 and served there until the end of World War I.  In 1925-26, he attended Nanking University's Department of Languages in China.

Walter at Lafayette, 1920 Walter at Princeton, 1925 Princeton Grad, 1925
Walter at Lafayette, 1920 Walter at Princeton, 1925

            Miriam Wagner Haas.  On August 5, 1925, just after graduating from Princeton, Walter married Miriam Irene Haas.  Miriam had been born in Easton on March 15, 1898, the daughter of Newton Raymond Haas and Emma Jane Wagner Haas.  The Wagners had a farm in Little Gap, Pennsylvania, near Lehighton and Palmerton, in Carbon County. Newt Haas ran a grocery store at 1089 Berwick Street in South Easton and lived at Berwick and McKeen Streets in a home he had bought and then expanded, not far from the home where the Boyers lived at that time, on Lincoln Street.  A biography of Newt Haas (go to page 4 of the link) was included in the History of Northampton County published by the American Historical Society in 1920. Newt and Lew Boyer were friends, and Newt’s name appears in Lew's diary, usually in the context of a visitor to the Boyer home during Lew's long illness.

            For example, there is this entry in Lew Boyer’s diary for Sunday, February 14, 1897:  

In the morning George (Apgar) was here a short time.  At noon Father Waltman came and took Elwood up home.  In the afternoon, Wm. Reichard, Omie Sawyer, Newton Haas.  In the evening, Mother Waltman, Brother Henry, and Sister Carrie Waltman were here.

              Unknown to Newt Haas and Lew Boyer on that day was that in the course of the following year, they would, respectively, become father to a girl and a boy who would be married 28 years later.  As infants, Miriam and Walter were on the Cradle Roll of the Evangelical Church in South Easton.  They went to grammar school together on the South Side before the Boyer family moved to Wilson Borough in 1918, and they were also classmates at Easton High School.  While Walter went to Lafayette and Princeton, Miriam was private secretary to a Mr. Love, who was superintendent of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad.

Miriam in her mother's Dodge, 1920 Wagner Farm, Little Gap PA
Miriam Haas in her mother's Dodge, 1920 The Wagner Farm, in Little Gap, Pennsylvania

Wedding Announcement Walter and Miriam in Shanghai, 1925
Wedding Announcement, 1925 Newlyweds in Shanghai, 1925

            During this period, Walter worked at the Ingersoll-Rand Company, where tools were being made for equipment needed by the Army in World War I, and he played tuba in the I-R company band.   The marriage was in the home of Miriam's parents, conducted by the Reverend John M. Minnich, who had been a classmate of Walter at Princeton.  Walter's brother Jack was his best man.  The Reverend Minnich later married Miriam's sister Florence, and was pastor of the South Side Presbyterian Church. 

            The Missionaries.  Twenty days after their marriage in 1925, aged 26 and 27, Walter and Miriam went to China as missionaries.  They  took the opportunity on the way to visit the grave of Dr. Frederick Krecker.  Dr. Krecker had been the first missionary of the Evangelical Church to serve in Japan and was buried in a Tokyo Cemetery after being stricken while attending a patient in Tokyo.  He was the brother of Miriam's grandmother, Priscilla Krecker Haas.

Ready to Leave for China, 1925 Waiting for the Train, 1925 Walter at Work in China, 1925
Leaving for China on Ferry Street and at the train station, 1925 Walter at work in China, 1925

            In the spring of 1927, Walter, Miriam and infant son Donald were among the last foreigners to leave the interior of China as part of the evacuation resulting from the Communist actions there.  On the boat to Shanghai, Walter had overheard (in Chinese, which he understood) people plotting to kill him.  He said he and Miriam had prayed they would be saved if the Lord wanted them to continue their work.  Suddenly, a major storm arose, keeping the Chinese crew busy until the boat docked, and they escaped.   Shortly thereafter, a headline in the local newspaper read "BOYERS SAFE AT SHANGHAI."  It said that the Boyers "had been stationed far in the interior of China, 500 miles up the Yangtse river, as missionaries of the Evangelical church.  Even on their trip into the interior they were forced to run the fire of river pirates."  Another article was headlined, "Former Miss Haas Reported Safe in China."  It noted that Miriam's parents had received a letter informing them they she and Walter were safe, "although they have been forced to close the school in which they were teaching and leave for Shanghai."

Donald is born, 1926 Miriam in Rickshaw, 1925
Miriam and Walter with newborn Donald, 1926 Miriam in a Rickshaw

            After their return, Walter taught at Albright College in Myerstown, Pennsylvania, and served as the college pastor in 1927-29.  (Albright College was moved to Reading in 1930.)  He served the Evangelical Church in Pawtucket, Rhode Island -- where his daughter Jean was born in June 1931 -- while he was studying at Boston University.  (The 1930 census showed Walter, evangelical clergyman, and Miriam, both 31, and son Donald, age 3, living in a rented house at 112 Spring Street in Pawtucket.)  Walter later held pastorates in the Evangelical United Brethren Church in Matamoras (beginning in 1932), Lebanon, Allentown and Reading, among other places. In Allentown, he served as pastor of Ebenezer Evangelical Church, on Turner Street, from 1945 to 1958, and he presided over the marriage of both of his children in that church. In the 1940s, he was honored by the YMCA of Pennsylvania, at its state convention in Harrisburg, for his work with YMCA boys in harvesting summer crops.  Walter "retired" some 41 years after his ordination, and was honored for his work at a special service of the Park EUB Church in Reading, where he had served for the last seven years. 

            Walter did basic genealogical work on the Boyers, which contributed greatly to this account of the family.  For many years, Walter's home served as the site of New Year's Day reunions of his brothers and sisters and their families, picking up a tradition of his parents, Lew and Henrietta.  Long after his official "retirement," Walter remained active, intellectually through his involvement in church affairs, including preaching, and physically through the playing of tennis.  He had played tennis just two days prior to his unexpected death of a heart attack, at his home in Allentown, on June 6, 1984, at the age of 85.  He was buried in Hay's Cemetery, South Easton, within a hundred yards of the place of his birth.  He and Miriam had been married 58 years.   

Mame's Birthday, 1959 Walter and Miriam, 1968 50th Anniversary, 1975
Walter and Miriam, in 1959, with the family of son Donald and with Walter's
Aunt Mame Waltman on her 90th Birthday
Walter and Miriam in 1968  On their 50th anniversary in 1975

            Miriam was a strong and supportive assistant to her husband in his variety of pastorates for the United Brethren Church.  After Walter died, she moved to State College, Pennsylvania, to be near her daughter Jean.  In September 1986, she and Jean appeared in photographs in a newspaper advertisement for Brookline Village, the retirement community where Miriam was living.  The advertisement quoted Miriam as saying "for me, living at Brookline Village was Jean's good idea . . . and my great decision." 

            In 1989, Miriam wrote that she was unable to come to the family reunion that year because of her difficulty in walking, but she said, "I'll be thinking of you and wondering who all is there and what you are all talking about and saying to myself, "Don't they look wonderful!  Have a wonderful time and God Bless you All."  She died at Brookline Village on August 18, 1990, at the age of 92.



Children of Walter and Miriam Boyer

            1.  Donald Stanley Boyer was the first child of Walter and Miriam Boyer.  He was born on August 9, 1926, in Kuling, Kiangsi, China, where his parents were missionaries, and returned to the United States with his parents the following year.

Donald Boyer in 1930 Donald in Senior Class Play, 1944 Donald the Soccer Ref, 1993
Donald in 1930, as a high school senior in 1944, and as a soccer referee in 1993

            In 1987, 60 years later, Don's cousin Neil visited China and jokingly wrote to Don that he had trouble finding people who remembered him.  "Each time I mention the name Donald Boyer," Neil wrote, "people either turn away or try to sell me something."  Donald wrote back, over the name Fu Ling Yu,  that this man Donald could not be found in China because "he not like to eat rice all the time and go long time ago to America where they have McDonald's.  I can find him for you.  My people have their ways.  You send $50 American money and I find him pretty good chop chop.  You not be sorry.  Next time you go to China you tell me.  I go too.  We catch this fellow and tell him what for."

            Don left Lebanon High School midway through his senior year to study at Lebanon Valley College.  While there, he was accepted by the U.S. Navy Reserve Officers Training Corps, which transferred him to Muhlenberg College and then to the University of Pennsylvania.  Among other activities while he was in college, Don used his Spanish in interpreting for Puerto Ricans at work camps in the Lehigh Valley.  A newspaper account of the time records that Don assisted with interpretation as seven migrant workers committed themselves to Christ at an Evangelical United Brethren church camp meeting near Zionsville.

            After World War II, Don returned to Muhlenberg College, where he earned letters in wrestling and soccer and became captain of the 1948 soccer team.  He did officiating in soccer and wrestling for 15 years, and then returned to Muhlenberg as head soccer coach in 1967, achieving a 10-2 record in his first season.  At one time he was president of the Berks County Wrestling Officials Association and captain of the Muhlenberg alumni soccer team.

Donald Boyer, 1992 Donald Boyer, 2001
Donald Boyer in 1992 and in 2001

            Don served in many marketing and management positions for the Atlantic Refining Company (later named Atlantic Richfield and Arco) for 35 years.  He managed Arco's Executive Seminar program in both Aspen, Colorado, and Santa Barbara, California, where he and his wife Dee entertained visiting executives and spouses from around the world.  Before he retired from Arco in 1985, he was administrative manager of Arco Chemical Company's 67 nationwide offices. 

            Following retirement, Don returned to soccer as a member of the coaching staff at Radnor High School, near Philadelphia.  In April 1986, citing restlessness, he launched a new career as sales manager for a large petroleum distributor in eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey, with responsibility for acquiring distributorships and service station accounts. 

            Donald and Dolores Diane (Dee) Davies were married on April 2, 1950, in a ceremony performed by his father at Ebenezer Evangelical Church in Allentown.  Dee had been born in Allentown on February 13, 1932, and was well-known as a fashion model for Hess's Department Store in Allentown, Pennsylvania.  She appeared in their fashion caravan, on television in Philadelphia, and in numerous newspaper advertisements.  In church-related activities, Dee taught Sunday School, sang in the choir and did youth work.  For short periods, she also managed a law office in Santa Barbara and a petroleum energy office in Allentown.  In 1987, Don and Dee were divorced.  At the time of the divorce, the family had been living in Rosemont, Pennsylvania.  In 2005, Dee was living in Pebble Beach, California.  Don and Dee had two children, David Stanley Boyer, born in 1951, and Michael Robert Boyer, born in 1957.  

            Don relocated to Jonestown, Pennsylvania, in Lebanon County.  In 1993, as an active Republican, he was elected to a two-year term on the Jonestown Borough Council, and then in 1995 he was reelected for four more years and then again after that.  Part of his responsibility as head of the "Health and Safety Department" was, in his words, "barking dogs," curb cuts, and getting the sidewalk built to the post office.  Don resigned from the Council on July 1, 2004, after serving as a member since 1993, including several years as council president.  During his term as president, the borough added two significant parcels of land to create the Jonestown Community Park, and Don was quoted in the Lebanon Daily News in connection with the Council’s renovation of the park.  More than 200 people turned out to build the park, including a children’s playground, in only four days in 1999.  With the help of $30,000 in state assistance, the council expanded the park from 16,000 square feet to 25 acres.  In 2005, Don said that the only tract of land in the borough eligible to be zoned residential was under development with more than 400 homes.  Don reported that a state trooper who attended the council’s monthly meetings said “Jonestown is the best place to live!” 

            Don was also active in Ono United Methodist Church, where he taught adult Sunday School, vacation Bible School, the Christian Life Club, sang in the choir and directed the church orchestra, which he founded.  He went to Monterrey, Mexico, in 1990, as a short-term missionary doing evangelism and church-building, and he was active in the organization Promise Keepers, and sang with the Jonestown Male Chorus.  

            On July 25, 1997, Don married Shirley Ann Zimmerman, also of Jonestown, at the Ono United Methodist Church.  They were married by the Rev. A. Philip Strickler, a college classmate of Don, assisted by the Rev. James Matchette, Don's uncle.  She had been born Shirley Ann Waltermyer on September 16, 1936, in Green Point, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Russell F. Waltermyer and Grace Mae Kohr Waltermyer.  Shirley had graduated from Northern Lebanon High School, in Fredericksburg, Pennsylvania, where she was Valentine Queen, a member of the All-County Field Hockey Team, and a participant in many other school activities.  

Don and Shirley Boyer, 1997 Don and Shirley Boyer, 2010
Don and Shirley Boyer in 1997 and in 2010

Shirley Waltermyer, 1953Shirley Boyer, 2001
Shirley in 1953 and in 2001

            In 1955, Shirley Waltermyer married Allen Zimmerman, and they had six children -- Dale, Brenda, Barry, Lori, Fred and Brad.  Allen died on March 30, 1984, after a long illness.  Shirley Zimmerman worked as a secretary for the Jonas Donmoyer Trucking Company and later for the local office of the Erie Insurance Company.  She lived in Jonestown and was a member of the Ono United Methodist Church, in nearby Ono, Pennsylvania, where she met Don.  At the church, she taught a teenage Sunday School class and was a member of the choir and numerous committees.  When Don and Shirley married, she resigned her position with the insurance company in order (in Don’s words) “to devote full time to establishing their home together and keeping up with Don’s needs.  Soon she learned that he required minimum maintenance and overseeing, and she agreed to work part-time at the insurance agency again.”  Shirley’s avocations included gardening, going to basketball games, and keeping up with her 13 grandchildren.  She also claimed to be a strong supporter of Don Boyer's soccer refereeing. 

            In 1997, Don continued to referee high school soccer -- girls’ leagues in the spring and boys’ in the fall -- as a member of the Lancaster-Lebanon County Referee Chapter.  In 2004, he hung up his cleats, resigning from almost 60 years of high school and college soccer – as a player, coach and referee.  At age 75, he was the second oldest soccer official in the Lancaster-Lebanon Referee Chapter.  

            Don also was restoring his home, a log house 150 years old.  He was also raising as many as 20 finches, and, he said, guarding them from his cats.  Still not satisfied, he wrote in 1995 "I still dream dreams.  I still feel the Lord has something more he wants me to do for him.  So I keep on listening for his direction."  

            In March 2001, Don said he found new direction when he became certified as a substitute teacher for the Lebanon/Lancaster school districts.  Although first scheduled to teach Spanish, English and history at the high school level, he also taught government, agriculture and shop classes, and at all grades, from kindergarten to twelfth grade.  He also taught students with emotional, physical and mental disabilities.  Don said his goal upon graduating from Muhlenberg College (“where men were men and girls were glad of it!”) was to be a high school teacher, and finally at the age of 75 he was realizing this goal.  Atlantic Richfield (ARCO) had sidetracked his career for 38 years, but he said he found teaching fun, exciting and challenging, with young people have such a wide range of opportunities that the 1940s did not provide.  In 2006, he was teaching four and usually five days a week and was the oldest substitute teacher in the Lebanon-Lancaster Chapter of substitute teachers. On May 8, 2009, when Don was 82, he was featured in an article -- "I Just Plain Love and Enjoy Being a Sub" -- in the newspaper, The Talon, of Cedar Crest High School, in Lebanon, Pennsylvania.

            Don and Shirley in 2006 were also busy with gardening and animal husbandry.  On several acres near their home, they were raising goats and chickens.  Actually, Don had announced that he and Shirley had had kids – the goats, which they kept in a location separate from their Jonestown home.  He reported that one of three newborn black pygmy goats had been rejected by its mother and was being bottle-fed by Don and Shirley.  In early 2005, Don said their goal was to slowly reduce the flock of pygmy goats and chickens with the goal of liquidating all of the livestock in 2005 so that they could do more traveling.  He also said they were keeping busy with lots of children and grandchildren, especially attending games, plays and musicals.


            A. David Stanley Boyer, the first child of Don and Dee Boyer, was born October 25, 1951, in Allentown, Pennsylvania.  David graduated from William Allen High School in 1969, where he was class president during his junior and senior years, recipient of the Valley Forge Freedom Foundation Award for Outstanding Citizenship, a life member of the Order of DeMolay, and an Eagle Scout. 

            A newspaper article when Dave was a sophomore in high school, pointed out that the soccer skills of his father, Don, had filtered down to the next generation.  Dave had played soccer at Valley Forge junior high school, the article said, "and developed a considerable kicking skill.  But AHS has no soccer on its athletic program.  So he plans to try out as kicker of field goals and extra points at AHS, using the soccer style of the Gogolak brothers, who started a sensational collegiate trend and are now pros.  In this method, the ball is booted by the instep in a sidewise movement.  Coach Halfacre has had trouble in recent years in bringing up a good booter.  Maybe young Boyer will solve the problem."  Dave became captain of the varsity football team.  For his major project to become an Eagle Scout, Dave undertook to introduce soccer in the two Allentown high schools.  As a result of his petitions and appeals to the school board, soccer became a varsity sport in Allentown in the fall of 1968, but Dave remained with football for his senior year.

David Stanley Boyer, 1955 David, Joanne and Heather-Ashley, 1995 David, Joanne and Heather-Ashley, 2003
David Stanley Boyer
in 1955
David with Joanne and Heather-Ashley in 1995 and 2003

            Dave graduated from Bucknell University in Lewisburg in 1973, with a degree in economics.  He played football there, and his grandfather, Walter Boyer, recorded in a family newsletter in 1972 that “Miriam and I attended the Bucknell-Lafayette game and Dave do an excellent job of punting.”  Dave also did graduate work at Lehigh University in Bethlehem.  From 1973 to 1975, he worked as an admissions counselor at Muhlenberg College.  He then moved to Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., in Allentown, where he worked for six years in industrial sales as a technical writer and as supervisor of sales services in the plastics division. 

            On August 25, 1979, Dave was married to Joanne Hall, who had been born on March 7, 1953, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania.  Joanne received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Cedar Crest College in Allentown in 1975, and a master's degree in education from Lehigh University in 1982.  She taught school in Allentown and Unionville, Pennsylvania, Avon Lake, Ohio, and also at Cleveland State University and Lorain County (Ohio) Community College. Before her daughter was born in 1992, Joanne was teaching first and second grade in Tredyffrin-Easttown School District, in Berwyn, Pennsylvania, near Devon.  Joanne was also involved in civic affairs.  She served on the board of directors of the Chester County Art Association, chairing their fund-raising and grant-writing activities.  She also initiated the association's scholarship and outreach programs. 

            From 1981 to 1986, the family lived in Bay Village, Ohio, where Dave was the industrial products representative for Sun Refining and Marketing Company, selling bulk lubricants to major industrial accounts in northern Ohio.  While still in Ohio, he became a national account representative with Citgo Petroleum Corporation and in early 1986, he moved to Devon, near Philadelphia, to become district sales manager for Citgo, managing lubricant sales in the tri-state area of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.  Dave was recognized by Citgo as the No. 1 sales manager in the Lubricants Division for the year 1986.  His success at work won him trips for himself and Joanne to France, Italy, Alaska, Hawaii and the Caribbean.  In 1995, Dave was pursuing a Master of Science degree in Dynamics of Organization at the University of Pennsylvania.  In 1996, the family moved from Devon to Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he became Manager of National Accounts for Citgo.  In 2000, they returned to Devon, where Dave continued to work for Citgo and Joanne was teaching third grade at the elementary school where their daughter had been a student.  Dave and Joanne had one daughter, Heather-Ashley Boyer, born in 1992.  

-- Heather-Ashley Boyer, daughter of Dave and Joanne Boyer, was born on November 25, 1992, at Bryn Mawr Hospital, in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.  In 2001, she was to enter third grade in Devon, and she was active in ballet, violin, harp and piano concerts.



            B.  Michael Robert Boyer, second child of Don and Dee Boyer, was born in Allentown on January 28, 1957.  He played soccer from at least the age of 5, and was only 10 years old when he was mentioned on the sports page of the Allentown Morning Call.  An article focusing on his father, Don, recalled that his grandfather, Walter, had played as a guard for coach Jock Sutherland at Lafayette in 1921.  Mike, the article said, followed in the family tradition by playing center forward on the Upper Main Line YMCA team in Paoli and by winning the fourth grade 50-yard spring championship at the Muhlenberg elementary school.  In 1972, Mike’s grandfather Walter Boyer recorded that on a visit to Donald’s house, “Mike was beaming when we saw him.  Miriam called attention to the fact that he made the assist in the one-point victory score against the opposition on Friday.  He is the only sophomore on the soccer team.  All the others are juniors and seniors.”

Michael with Dolores Boyer, 1959 Michael Boyer, 1977 Michael Boyer, 1995Michael Boyer 2010
Michael Boyer with his mother, Dolores Davies Boyer, 1959 Michael Boyer in 1977, 1995 and 2010

            Mike graduated from Allen High School in 1975 and then attended Muhlenberg College, Citrus College in California, and Bucknell University, from which he graduated in 1980.  Mike played soccer in high school, where was team captain and had all-league honors, and at college.  At age 18 he toured Eastern European countries as co-captain of an Allentown amateur soccer team, which held an overall 94-1 record.  Mike served as spokesman for the American team, which achieved a 2-2-2 record on the trip.  He was quoted in Soccer World Magazine as saying, "We respected them but we were not awestruck.  The Hungarians were particularly good passing the ball, but I feel we had it all over them when it came to physical conditioning." 

            After graduation from Bucknell, Mike worked for seven months aboard a ship for Western Geophysical, an oil exploration firm from Houston, Texas, operating out of Dead Horse, Alaska, near the North Pole.  In 1981, he became involved with hotel management, first with Holiday Inn and then with Marriott.  

            On New Year’s Eve in 1987, in San Francisco, Michael married Rebecca Ann Colpitts.  Rebecca had been born in Bakersfield, California.  They met when both were employed by Marriott, he in Santa Clara as director of sales and she in Burlingame.  At first they lived in Saratoga, California, and then bought a home in the seaside community of Half Moon Bay.  They had one child, Colin Davis Boyer, born in 1989. Michael and Rebecca separated in 1991 and were later divorced.  She remained in Monterey and remarried.  They shared joint custody of Colin. 

Colin Boyer, 1996 Michael Boyer with son Colin, 1995Colin Boyer, 2010
Colin Boyer in 1996, with his dad, Michael, in 1995, and in 2010

            In 1985, Michael was sales manager of Marriott's Camelback Inn in Scottsdale, Arizona.  In 1989, he was named director of sales and marketing at the Charleston Marriott in North Charleston, South Carolina.  Two years later, in 1991, he was transferred back to California when Marriott acquired the Sheraton Monterey and transformed it into the Monterey Marriott, and he lived in Pacific Grove.  In 1993, Michael left Marriott after ten and a half years and became director of sales and marketing of the prestigious Monterey Plaza Hotel, at 400 Cannery Row in Monterey, an area made famous by the author John Steinbeck.  In 1997, Michael was active in Mayflower Presbyterian Church in Pacific Grove, the Cannery Row Marketing Council, and the Monterey Chamber of Commerce.  He was also active in soccer and still playing at age 35, as well as hiking, rollerblading and raising Colin.  He was also coaching a select under-10 soccer team in Carmel, and his son Colin was a star defenseman. 

-- Colin Davis Boyer, son of Michael and Rebecca Boyer, was born in Redwood City, California, on May 17, 1989.  He lived for two years in Charleston, South Carolina, with his parents, and then returned to California.  He was active in baseball, soccer, biking and the youth group at Mayflower Presbyterian Church.  He entered third grade at Forest Grove Elementary School in the fall of 1997 and completed sixth grade at Pacific Grove Middle School, where he was an honor roll student and student of the month.  He was also a member of the middle school golf team at Pebble Beach, where he was shooting two over par in mid-2001. 

    In 2006, as a junior at Pacific Grove High School, Colin led his golf team to the championship of the Mission Trail Athletic League.  It was just before his 17th birthday.  A long article in the Monterey Herald on May 3, 2006, told how Colin had missed the championship in the preceding year after he made a costly mistake in the final golf match in moving his ball and was disqualified.  But in 2006, he shot a 73, overcoming the shortfall that his high school team had encountered thus far, and his team won.  The article told how Colin had brooded over the mistake for an entire year, and then in 2006 achieved what he called “redemption and poetic justice.”  Also in 2006, Colin's team had had the opportunity to play various courses in Scotland as ambassadors for their school.  Colin was also the kicker on his Pacific Grove High School football team.  In 2006, the Monterey Herald reported, he converted 63 of 66 extra-point attempts and 7 out of 10 field goals, and his punts averaged more than 40 yards. His total of 84 points ranked 14th in the country.  The Herald said in March 2007 that Colin had made a verbal commitment to play football at the University of Montana.



            2.  Jean Elizabeth Boyer, second child of Walter and Miriam Boyer, was born in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, on June 5, 1931.  She attended Allentown High School, and in 1954 she graduated from Bob Jones University in South Carolina, where she met Robert Paul Stokes.  Jean was first employed as a teacher by the Allentown School District and later by the Naperville public schools. She and Bob Stokes were married by her father at Ebenezer Evangelical United Brethren Church, on Turner Street in Allentown, on June 18, 1955.  

Jean Boyer, 1932 Jean and Cousin Mildred, 1937 Jean Stokes in 1975 Bob Stokes, 1968
Jean Boyer in 1932 With cousin Mildred Boyer, left, at wedding of Aunt Ruth Boyer Matchette, 1937 Jean in 1975 Bob Stokes in 1968

            Bob had been born in Danville, Pennsylvania, on March 4, 1931.  He was a graduate of Bob Jones University and had Master's degrees from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminar in Naperville, Illinois, and from Princeton Theological Seminary.  He was a minister of the Evangelical United Brethren Church (later United Methodist, through merger).   Bob held pastorates in the Catasaqua/Nazareth circuit (1956-58), the Hegins/Muir charge (1958-62), Millersburg Grace Church (1962-70), and Hummelstown Trinity Church (1970-82).  

Stokes Wedding, 1955 Stokes Family, 1971
The wedding of Bob and Jean Stokes, 1955 The Stokes family, 1971

            In 1982, Bob became District Superintendent of the State College District.  In 1994, he retired from the pastorate of Bethany United Methodist Church in Red Lion, Pennsylvania, where he had served from 1988 through June 1994.  After his retirement, Bob and Jean returned to live in Hummelstown.  In 1998, he began filling in as pastor of a United Methodist Church in Hershey, Pennsylvania, until June 1999, and he served as temporary pastor at other churches in the area.  In 2006, Jean and Bob moved to Cornwall Manor, a retirement community established in 1949 by the Methodist church.  It is located a few miles south of Lebanon, Pennsylvania.  Jean's aunt, Ruth Boyer Matchette, and her husband, Jim, lived there at the end of their lives.

Stokes Family, 1984 Stokes Family, 1985
The Stokes Family in 1984 . . . . in 1985
Stokes Family, 1986 Stokes Family, 1999
. . . . in 1986 and in 1999

            As a minister's wife, Jean was an active supporter of Bob in his work, in many places, as well as mother of five children:  Ann Louise Stokes, born in 1956; Daniel Robert Stokes, 1958; Richard Paul Stokes, 1961; Donald James Stokes, 1964; and Beth Eileen Stokes, 1971.  The five children organized a surprise party in Hummelstown for Jean and Bob’s 50th wedding anniversary in June 2005. In 2014, Jean and Bob were in their ninth year of residing in an independent living house at Cornwall Manor in Central Pennsylvania. Each year they planned to gather with their five children and six grandchildren to enjoy their time together. In 2014, they did this at a United Methodist camp near the Delaware River in New York.

Jean and Bob Stokes, 2005 50th Wedding AnniversaryBob and Jean Stokes, 2010
Jean and Bob Stokes in 2005.  Picture at right
taken on their 50th wedding anniversary in 2005.
Bob and Jean in 2010

50th Wedding Anniversary
The whole family at the 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration for Bob and Jean Stokes, 2005



            A.  Ann Louise Stokes, first child of Bob and Jean Stokes, was born in Allentown on August 22, 1956.  She graduated from Lower Dauphin High School in June 1974 and attended Bloomsburg State College in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, from 1974 to 1976.  She was married on August 28, 1976, to Kenneth Grundon at Trinity United Methodist Church in Hummelstown.  She and her husband moved to New Brighton, Minnesota, where Ken was enrolled at United Theological Seminary.   They divorced in 1980.

            From 1976 to 1978, Ann was employed as a secretary/receptionist at Clara Doerr Residence, a residential facility for adults with developmental disabilities.   She returned to college in 1979, and completed her undergraduate degree at St. Cloud State University in 1980, with a degree in special education.  She was employed as a counselor at St. Anne's Residence, a residential facility for women with developmental disabilities, on a part-time basis while completing her education.   In January 1980 she was employed again at Clara Doerr Residence, as a counselor.  She was promoted to Program Plan Developer in the fall of 1980.

Wedding of Ann and John, 1982 John and Ann, 2005
Ann Stokes and John McGuire at wedding in 1982 John and Ann McGuire in 2005

            On June 25, 1982, Ann married John Talford McGuire at Hobart United Methodist Church, in Minneapolis.  John had been born on December 2, 1953, in Northfield, Minnesota, the son of Paul Talford McGuire and Marlys Ann Edmonds McGuire.  John had graduated from DeLaSalle High School, in Minnesota, in 1971.  He earned a B.A. degree in Social Work and History at the University of Minnesota in 1977, and a master’s degree in social work from the same university in 1984. 

            Because both John and Ann had close ties to their families, they agreed to live in Pennsylvania (closer to Ann's family) for a period of years after John completed graduate school, but to make their permanent home in Minnesota.  In the summer of 1984, they moved to State College, Pennsylvania, near Ann's family.  John was employed as a counselor for Catholic Social Services in State College, until 1992.  Ann was employed by Skills, Inc., an agency providing vocational and residential services to individuals with developmental disabilities.  Initially, Ann provided direct care services, then moved into a supervisory position and became Director of Residential Services for Skills, Inc. in Centre County.   

            In the summer of 1992, John and Ann moved to Rochester, Minnesota, where they purchased their first home.  He began employment with Catholic Charities in Rochester in the spring of 1992, and in November, Ann began work as the Adult Services Coordinator for Arc Olmsted County, an agency providing advocacy and support to individuals with developmental disabilities, and to their families.  In the fall of 1995, she reduced her employment status at Arc to part-time, and began her employment with the Rochester Public Schools as a teacher of students with special needs in the "Transition-to-Adult Program." She was continuing that work in the fall of 2009. Ann received her master's degree in education from Hamline University in St. Paul in May 2004.  In 2009, Ann and John acquired a new family member, a two-year-old yellow Labrador named Gus, who began to dominate their lives.

            Ann and John blended their faith backgrounds, and were active participants at both Christ United Methodist Church and Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Rochester.  John was a member of the Holy Spirit Social Concerns Committee.  In her leisure time, Ann also enjoyed quilting and reading.  She also was a Girl Scout leader from 1991 to 1997.  Ann and John had a daughter, Kathryn Ann McGuire, born in 1985, and twin boys, Robert Talford McGuire, and Christopher Stokes McGuire, born in 1989.  Christopher died at birth.

Katie McGuire and Casey Stokes, 1999 Casey and Katie, 2001
Cousins Katie McGuire and Casey Stokes, in 1999 and 2001

Katie McGuire, 2002 Katie McGuire, 2005Katie McGuire, 2010Robby McGuire in 2010
Katie McGuire in 2002, 2005 and 2010Robby McGuire in 2010

-- Kathryn Ann (Katie) McGuire, daughter of Ann and John, was born on April 2, 1985, at Centre Community Hospital in State College, Pennsylvania.  She attended school in State College in 1990-1992, and in the summer of 1992 moved with her family to Rochester, Minnesota. She was a member of the Girl Scouts from 1990 to 1997.  Her interests include reading, gymnastics and theatre.  When she was in middle school, she acted in plays at the Rochester Civic Theatre -- A Christmas Carol (1996) and Oliver Twist (1997).   In the spring of 2000, Katie was confirmed as a member of Christ United Methodist Church.   She joined the youth group on four mission trips with the Appalachia Service Project and was involved in repairing homes.   In January 2005, she joined a short-term young adult mission trip to Guatemala. 

            While in high school, Katie was a cheerleader and member of the girls’ track team.  As a senior, she was a member of the Rochester All-Star Cheer Club, which placed second in National Competition in Orlando, Florida.  She graduated from John Marshall High School in 2003, and from the College of St. Scholastica, in Duluth, Minnesota, on Lake Superior, in 2007.  She majored in psychology, with a business focus.  She was admitted to the National Psychology Honor Society, Psy Chi, in the spring of 2005.  She also worked as a nurse’s aid at Assini Heights, a Franciscan convent in Rochester, Minnesota. In July 2007, she started work in the Human Resources Department of the North St. Paul School District. In 2008 and 2009, she ran in the annual ten-mile race from Minneapolis to St. Paul.

            Katie married Paul Kolodge at St. Olaf Catholic Church in Minneapolis on October 4, 2014. Both Katie and Paul were graduates of the College of St. Scholastica. They wrote their own biographies in a document prepared for their wedding.

Katie and Paul Kolodge, 2014
Katie and Paul, Wedding Day 2014
Katie McGuire and Paul Kolodge in 2014

-- Robert Talford McGuire was one of a pair of twins born in State College, Pennsylvania, on November 13, 1989.   PA.  His twin brother, Christopher, was stillborn.  Robert was born pre-maturely, and was flown via "Life Lion" helicopter to Hershey Medical Center immediately after his birth.  After five days there, he was returned to Centre Community Hospital.  He was released from the hospital at two weeks of age. 

            Robby moved with his family to Rochester in 1992, and was active in soccer and baseball in his youth.  In 2007, he began his senior year at John Marshall High School.  He had lettered for three consecutive years as a member of the high school cross-country team.  In the winter of his freshman year, he also participated in the all-city cross-country ski team and also letter in that sport.  In 2005, Robby was involved in classes at Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Rochester and anticipated confirmation in the church in October 2005.  Robby and his father enjoyed following college sporting events, with Robby cheering for Penn State while his father cheered for the Minnesota Gophers. In 2009, Robby was a sophomore at St. Mary's University in Winona, Minnesota, majoring in English education.

-- Christopher Stokes McGuire, a twin to Robert, was born on November 13, 1989, and died on the same day.  He was buried in Hummelstown Cemetery.

McGuire Family in 2005 McGuires in Japan, 2007 McGuire Family 2009
John, Ann, Katie and Robby McGuire, left in 2005, center in 2007 in Japan, and right in 2009 with Gus

             B.  Daniel Robert Stokes, second child of Jean and Bob Stokes, was born on June 27, 1958, in Allentown.  He graduated from Lower Dauphin High School in 1976.   During his high school years, he worked at Smitty's Hardware Store, on Main Street in Hummelstown.  Dan was interested in music at a very young age.  His grandfather, Walter Boyer, wrote in his family newsletter of October 1972 that “Danny (14) was elected assistant organist by the church officials while Bob and Jean were at a camp meeting near Berwick.  Bob was the evangelist.”  (This gave the impression Bob and Jean didn’t know this was going to happen.)  Dan graduated from Messiah College in Grantham, Pennsylvania, in 1980, with a degree in music.   On graduation, he received the Alumni Award, the only one given at that time  to "an Outstanding All-Around Graduate."  An accomplished organist, he received a master's degree in church music from Scarritt Graduate School in Nashville, Tennessee, in 1982.  He was organist and director of music ministries at Belmont United Methodist Church in Nashville from 1980 to 1989.  

Dan Stokes, 1995 Dan Stokes, 2005Dan Stokes in 2010
Dan Stokes in 1995, 2005 and 2010

            In 1989, Dan became the Director of Music Ministries at Christ Church, United Methodist, in Louisville, Kentucky.  In 1995, his music program had more than 625 participants.   He also directed youth choir festivals in Kansas, Virginia and North and South Carolina.  Dan was the organist for the United Methodist Festival Choir tours in 1987-1989 and 1991-1992.  With this group he traveled to Europe four times and visited New Zealand and Australia, where he was accompanist for the Methodist Festival Choir.   

            Dan resided in Louisville.  He had an interest in pump organs and managed to fit a few into his apartment decor.  He also enjoyed riding his bike and jogging.



            C.  Richard Paul Stokes, third child of Jean and Bob Stokes, was born in Reading, Pennsylvania, on October 10, 1961.  He graduated from Lower Dauphin High School in 1979, and received a degree in political science from Penn State University (at Capitol Campus, in Middletown) in 1984.  

            Dick married Lisa Marie Kennedy on October 17, 1981, at Trinity United Methodist Church in Hummelstown.  Dick's father, Bob Stokes, performed the service; brother Dan was organist; brother Don was best man, and sister Beth was junior bridesmaid.  Lisa had been born on August 21, 1961, the daughter of Gary L. Kennedy and Maxine C. Payne.  Lisa and Dick went to high school together, with their courtship beginning during rehearsals for the high school musical during their senior year.  Lisa graduated from Lower Dauphin High School in 1979.  She attended Bloomsburg State College from 1979 to 1981, and received a bachelor's degree in special education from Millersville State College in 1986.  She began working at Penn National Race Track in 1981, and in 1988 she became its Marketing Director.  In 1999, Lisa purchased BRP Productions, an entertainment brokerage firm.

Ann McGuire and Lisa Stokes, 1999 Ann McGuire, Dick Stokes, Beth Jones, 1999Lisa Stokes in 2010
Ann Stokes McGuire and Lisa Stokes, 1999 Dick Stokes and sisters Ann and BethLisa Stokes in 2010

            In 1987, Dick was working for his father-in-law, a building contractor.  He later worked at Yellow Freight in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, as a dock worker.  He received his teaching certificate in December 1994 and served as a substitute teacher in the Harrisburg City School District.  Dick coached youth softball and baseball teams from 1989 to 1998, and was an officer in the South Hanover Baseball Association from 1993 to 1999.   In 1999, he helped found the Sand Beach Girls Basketball Association for girls in grades 3-6 in South and East Hanover Townships.  Dick and his family were active members of St. Thomas United Church of Christ in Linglestown, Pennsylvania.  He began teaching Sunday School in 1991, and in 1998 served as advisor for the youth fellowship.   Dick and Lisa had two children, Benjamin David Stokes, born in 1982, and Casey Britton Stokes, born in 1986.
-- Benjamin David Stokes, first child of Dick and Lisa, was born on August 13, 1982, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  He was active in youth sports, and began participating in the South Hanover Little League in third grade.  He began golfing in 1994, and in 1997 was on the Lower Dauphin Golf Team.  In the spring of 1996 (at the end of 8th grade), he received the "Principal's Award" for leadership and citizenship.  He also received the "Penn State Senate Award" at this time.  Ben was baptized at St. Thomas United Church of Christ in 1996, and was installed as a member in 1998.  He later graduated from Widener University in Chester, Pennsylvania, and was teaching. 

-- Casey Britton Stokes, second child of Dick and Lisa, was born on December 30, 1986, at Harrisburg Hospital in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  She was active in the bell choir and children's choir at St. Thomas United Church of Christ.  She took piano and saxophone lessons for several years, and was chosen to be a participant in the Dauphin County Band Concert in January of 1998.  Casey also enjoyed sports and was involved in softball, soccer, and basketball teams.  She graduated from Lower Dauphin High School. In 2008, she was a senior at Wagner College, on Staten Island, New York, and was co-captain of Wagner's Division I women's basketball team. See her profile on the Wagner website.

Dick Stokes Family, 2005
The Dick Stokes Family: Lisa, Ben, Dick and Casey, 2005


            D.  Donald James Stokes, fourth child of Jean and Bob Stokes, was born in Harrisburg on May 27, 1964.  He worked at Smitty's Hardware Store on Main Street in Hummelstown when he was a student at Lower Dauphin High School.  While attending Penn State University in State College, he worked at Scot's Discount Store.  He graduated from Penn State in 1988 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Logistics.  He moved to Red Lion (where his parents lived at that time) and began working at McCrory's in York as a dispatcher in 1989.   He later worked as a dispatcher with Kinard Trucking Firm in York.  

Don and Stacy Stokes, 1993 Don and Stacy Stokes, 2002
Stacy and Don Stokes, in 1993 and 2002

Wedding of Stacy and Don Stokes, 1993
The wedding of Don and Stacy Stokes, 1993

            Donald was an active member of Bethany United Methodist Church in Red Lion, where his father was the minister.  Through his involvement with the church, he met Stacy Leighty, the "new girl" in the Sunday School class.    Their courtship was aided by many church sponsored activities, they reported, including a memorable hay ride!  Their wedding on December 26, 1993, was at Bethany Church, and was performed by Don's father, Bob.  Stacy had been born on April 8, 1968, the daughter of Dennis E. Leighty and Carlene E. Runkle.  She graduated from York College in May 1992 with a B.A. degree in communications and education, and she worked in the loan department of First Capitol Bank in York.  In 1997 she accepted a position as Admissions Specialist at York Hospital and reduced her hours to part-time, to devote more care to her son.   Stacy and Don were youth fellowship advisors at Bethany Church, prior to the birth of their children.  Don and Stacy had two children, Tucker James Stokes, born in 1997, and Carter William Stokes, born in 2001. 

-- Tucker James Stokes, the first child of Don and Stacy Stokes, was born on January 1, 1987, at York Hospital, the first child born in York County in 1997.  His arrival was well publicized throughout south-central Pennsylvania.   

-- Carter William Stokes, the second child of Don and Stacy, was born on December 12, 2001, in York.



            E.  Beth Eileen Stokes, fifth child of Bob and Jean Stokes, was born on November 20, 1971, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  She graduated from Red Lion Senior High School in Red Lion, Pennsylvania, in June of 1990.  She had been a photographer on her high school yearbook staff and did volunteer work at Brookline Retirement Center, where her grandmother Miriam was a resident. 

            After high school, Beth attended the York campus of Penn State from 1990 to 1992.  She transferred to Lycoming College in Williamsport PA and graduated in 1995 with a degree in Sociology.  She served as a state park chaplain during the summers of 1992 (Poe Valley State Park) and 1994 (World's End State Park).  She received her lay pastor's license in 1992 and served as an assistant pastor on the Oriole United Methodist charge from 1992 to 1994.  During the 1994-95 school year, she served as director of college ministries at First United Methodist Church in Williamsport.  In the fall of 1995 she began attending Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, D.C.  

Beth and Tom Jones, 1997
The Stokes family at the wedding of Beth and Tom Jones, 1997

Beth and Tom at their wedding, 1997 Beth in 1999 Beth and Tom Jones, 2005
Beth and Tom in 1997 Beth in 1999 Beth and Tom in 2005

            In July of 1996, Beth was appointed pastor of family ministries at First United Methodist Church in Williamsport, where she lived, commuting to Washington, D.C., for two days of classes per week.  On August 2, 1997, she married Thomas R. Jones, of Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, at Trinity United Methodist Church in Hummelstown.  Tom had been born on November 27, 1955, the son of Edward and Alyce Jones.  He was employed at Metropolitan Insurance Company in Clarks Summit beginning in 1979.  He taught karate at Marywood College in Scranton, and held a third degree black belt.  He was also interested in music and played acoustic guitar.  Beginning in 1999, Beth followed Tom’s interest in karate, and was expected to be tested for her black belt in September 2005. Beth Jones, 2009

            Following her marriage, Beth moved to Clarks Summit and continued to commute to Washington D.C. two days a week.  She graduated in May 1998 from Wesley Theological Seminary, and in July was assigned her first pastorate, at Dalton United Methodist Church, in Dalton, Pennsylvania.  Beth was ordained deacon of the United Methodist Church on June 6, 1999, at Elm Park United Methodist Church in Scranton.  She was ordained Elder on June 2, 2001, at the Annual Conference session of the Wyoming Conference in Scranton, and her father participated in the ceremony.  On September 1, 2003, she became pastor of Dorranceton United Methodist Church in Kingston, a suburb of Wilkes-Barre.  At the time, she was in her sixth year of ministry in that Conference.  At the end of 2009, Beth was named the new district superintendent for the Scranton District in the Wyoming Conference of the United Methodist Church. She was still there in 2008. The appointment was to be effective on July 1, 2010. The Wyoming Conference issued a press release to announce the appointment.


Walter Boyer's Family Genealogical Chart
The Boyers of Easton
Photo Gallery of the Boyers of Easton
The Boyers of Orwigsburg
Neil Boyer's Home Page