864. John LESHER198 was born on 5 Jan 1711.
He emigrated in 1734 from Germany. He was naturalized in 1743 in
Bucks County, PA. He died on 5 Apr 1794 in Oley, Berks Co, PA.
In 1726 Nicholas, grandson of Francious and son of Jean, and his son John, came
to Pennsylvania and in 1728 bought a tract of land two miles square (Berks County)
bordering on the old Swedish trail.
Much of the land was ore land and John became one of the first Iron Masters of
PA. He built forges and furnaces for the iron ore. He, with John Ross and John
Potts, built the first forge there.
He also opened great stone quarries. He built a large stone house, which
was known as The Castle. It and their stone mill are still standing.
His very active interest in the development and well being of his new country
made him a popular leader.
He and John Weaver served as commanders of a wagon division to Fort Henry
under Col. Weiser in the French and Indian war, June 1708.
He was elected July 8 1776, at Reading PA. A delegate to the Constitutional Convention
held at Philadelphia July 18, 1776. While thus serving he was appointed on a
committee of eleven who drafted a frame of government or Declaration of Rights.
For some reason he did not sign the Constitution, passed Sept 28, 1776.
John Lesher was a member of the General Assembly from 1776 to 1782, from Berks
During the Revolution he acted as one of the commissioners for purchasing supplies
for the army. He recruited a company of volunteers of which he was captain. He
began active service August 1, 1776 and served as Capt. and Col. to the end of
the war when he was honorably discharged.
His company was attached to Berks County Battalion of Foot (?), Pennsylvania
Militia, commanded by Col. John Patton. His company took part in the battle of
Long Island and of Germantown and Brandywine. They were with General Washington's
army there the terrible winter at Valley Forge (where Washington's headquarters
were in the home of John's friend, John Potts.)
Mary Johanna YODER.Children were: