Bowles DNA Project
This family is understood to have descended from the Bolles of Swineshead, Lincolnshire although the exact connection is not known.
See also The Bowles of London and Middlesex
Four Generations of London Publishers
The earliest known in this line was Thomas Bowles, a printer and publisher of engraved pictures with a shop in his house on the corner of Paul's Alley next to the chapter house in St Paul's Churchyard in London. Examples of his work dated from as far back as 1691 have survived. He retired in about 1712 and turned his business over to his sons. He died in 1721 at which time he was described as "as a citizen and joiner of St Gregory by Paul's; he also owned four tenements in London House Yard and a half-share in two houses in Bloomsbury. "
King James I of
England and VI of Scotland
His two sons, Thomas (II) and John followed in the family business. Thomas (II) set up his shop in St. Paul's Churchyard (1712-1763). John Bowles had set up shop at Mercer's Hall in Cheapside by 1725 and moved to The Black Horse, Cornhill by 1734. After that shop was damaged by fire in 1766 he relocated to No. 13 Cornhill (1766-1779). His son, Carrington Bowles, worked with him at Cornhill from 1753 until he took over his Uncle Thomas' business in St. Paul's Churchyard in 1764. Carrington operated his business there until 1793 when it was taken over by his son Henry Carrington Bowles and his partner Samuel Carver operating as Bowles & Carver (1793-1830).
Four generations of London printers, Thomas, John, Thomas (II), Carrington and Henry Carrington Bowles produced some of the most famous prints of portraits, political cartoons, London landscapes and world maps which were greatly in demand in the wealthy British Empire. Many of these prints exist in galleries and in private collections today.
George, Prince of
There were also two brothers James and Thomas (d. May 29, 1788 Blackheath) Bowles in the publishing industry on Newgate Street (1765-1840); who could have been sons of John (II) or at least were probably related somehow.
Article from Notes and Queries, Published by Oxford University Press, series 3, vol. 2, July - Dec. 1862
In 1799 Henry Carrington Bowles married Anne Garnault, a member of a wealthy Huguenot family connected to the New River Company. She inherited Bowling Green House in Enfield, Hertford from her brother Daniel Garnault in 1809. The Bowles tore the old house down and built a new home beside it. Myddelton House, named in honor of Sir Hugh Myddelton was completed in 1818. see Sir Hugh Myddelton and the New River Company
Unfortunately, only two of Henry and Anne's five children had children to continue the line and both were daughters thus ending the direct male Bowles of Myddelton line. Their daughter, Anne Sarah, who inherited the house, married Edward Treacher and had a son, Henry Carrington Treacher who in his turn assumed the name Henry Carrington Bowles Bowles (not a typo) in 1852 in order to meet the inheritance requirements for Myddelton House as a Bowles. Thus the line continued in a succession sense but not in the genetic male line.
Henry Carrington Bowles Bowles was a Justice of the Peace for Middlesex county and was also the last Governor of the New River Company. Two of his sons were noteworthy:
Henry Ferryman Bowles was a Justice of the Peace for Middlesex county, the Member of Parliament for Enfield, Middlesex from 1889-1905 and then again from 1918-22 and was the Major of the 7th Battalion Rifle Brigade. In 1895 Henry Carrington bought the nearby 17th century mansion called Forty Hall for his son who later gained the title of 1st Baronet Bowles of Forty Hall, Enfield. Henry Ferryman Bowles also only had daughters to pass his name on to so his son-in-law Eustace Parker assumed the additional surname of Bowles by Royal License in 1920. Their grandson, Andrew Henry Parker-Bowles married Camilla Shand in 1973; they were divorced in 1995 and Camilla went on to marry Prince Charles. It should be noted that Camilla Parker-Bowles is actually a Shand and the Parker-Bowles themselves while being the hereditary holders of the Bowles name are actually Bowles on the maternal side only and that Bowles line actually descended from Treachers in the previous generation (as mentioned above). The male Bowles line ended with Henry Carrington Bowles in 1830.
Edward Augustus "Gussie" Bowles inherited Myddelton House in 1918 as his older brother already occupied Forty Hall. He kept Myddelton House much as it was left to him by his parents, installing no electricity or telephone, although he did have gas installed in the kitchen. Gussie was a member of the Royal Horticultural Society Council and has been described as "the greatest amateur gardener of this country, and the most distinguished botanist and horticulturist serving the Royal Horticultural Society". He developed the gardens at Myddelton House into one of the finest examples of an English County Garden in England. He also bred several new varieties of flowers and wrote several books about plants. In 1968 the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority purchased the house and gardens and use Myddelton House as their headquarters.
The Gardens at Myddelton House
William Augustus Bowles
- American explorer
William Bowles appears to have only a distant connection with ancestors of the Enfield branch.
Another biograpahy on the Virtual American Biographies site
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids