Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   


St. Mewan Parish


church

Email: Rita Bone Kopp, OPC St. Mewan and
St. Stephen-in-Brannel
ststephensopc [at] yahoo [dot] com
"Mewan (St.), a parish in the eastern division of the hundred of Powder, county of Cornwall, 1 miles (w. by s.) from St. Austell, containing 1174 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cornwall, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at GBP 10. The Rev. William Hocker was patron in 1801. The church is dedicated to St. Mewan. At Polgooth, which is partly in this parish, is a celebrated tin mine." [page 285, "A Topographical Dictionary of England...", by Samuel Lewis, Volume 3, London, M.DCCC.XXXI.].



~ ~ ~


"An Historical Survey of the County of Cornwall: to which is added a complete Heraldry of the same, with numerous engravings", by C.S. Gilbert, Vol. 2 [pt. 2], 1820, page 862.

St. Mewan, a parish bounded on the east by St. Austell, on the north by St. Stephens in Brannel, on the south by St. Ewe, and on the west by Creed. It contains 2240 statute acres, and the inhabitants in 1801, were calculated at seven hundred and eighty.

The church, whose low heavy tower is pleasingly enveloped in foliage, is situated about a mile west of St. Austell, and produces a pretty effect when seen from the great road leading towards Truro. The interior exhibits nothing remarkable. There are memorials in the burial-ground, relative to the genteel families of Borlase, and Crews. The principal landholders are the honorable Mrs. Agar, Sir C. Hawkins, bart., J.S. Sawle, esq, the Rev. H.H. Tremayne, and the Rev. Robert Hoblyn. The barton of Nansisicke, formerly the seat of the family of Edwards, a branch of which still resides in the parish, is now a farm-house, the property of Joseph Sawle Sawle, of Penrice, esq. The northern side of St. Mewan is joined by a range of elevated commons, extending into the parish of St. Dennis.


ENTER





[  BACK  ]