Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Austrian Coat of Arms


AUSTRIA

Austria became an independent republic after the First World War, on October 16, 1918. Until 1918 it had formed part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire.

The eagle is the old eagle from the Empire, whereas the shield itself shows the medieval arms of the Duchy of Austria. The mural crown, hammer and sickle are symbols for the liberation of the citizens, labourers and farmers from the Imperial monarchy.


State of NIEDERÖSTERREICH

Niederösterreich was created as a Duchy in 1156 and became part of Austria in 1282. Around 1450 a large part, now mainly Oberösterreich, was removed from the Duchy.

The arms were officially granted in 1920. The arms with the five eagles first appears in 1335, as the legendary arms of the H. Leopold, who originated from the area. Around 1360 Duke Rudolf IV adopted the eagles as the arms of Old Austria. Ever since the arms represented Niederösterreich in the ducal and imperial arms.

State of OBERÖSTERREICH

The area of the present Oberösterreich became part of Austria in the 13th century. In 1918 Oberösterreich became a separate State.

The arms were granted in 1930, but the oldest use of the arms date from 1390. The arms are probably derived from the arms of the Lords of Machland, who were very powerful in the area in the 13th and 14th centuries.

State of SALZBURG

The arms for Salzburg first appear on a coin issued by Archbishop Rudolf between 1284 and 1290. The arms, however, probably date from the reign of Archbishop Ulrich of Kärnten (1246-1256), as the arms are probably based on the arms of Kärnten. The typical hat appears in the early 19th century.

Attersee
State of Oberösterreich

Nussdorf am Attersee
State of Oberösterreich

 

Salzburg
State of Salzburg

 

Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
(St. Wolfgang)
State of Oberösterreich

 

Wiesing
State of Tirol

The arms show mainly the eagle of Tirol. The eagle is placed on a fence, which symbolizes the wall of the local zoo, founded in the 16th century by the Counts of Tirol. The base shows a meadow (Wiese), which is a canting element.

Reference: International Civic Heraldry

Return to Top

Return to Coat-of-Arms Main Page


HOME

Copyright Notice