(Thanks go to the Churchman family members, for this information.)
In the 1790 "Census of Head of Household" for Chester County, Pennsylvania - William and his son, John ( b. 1748), were both listed as heads of household.
Today, the Brick Meeting House is in the vicinity of Rising Sun, Maryland. A traveler going north towards Chrome, Pennsylvania from Rising Sun, will drive about two miles through the share of Nottingham Lots owned by John Churchman (b. 1665). There are two houses built by John's sons that are still standing. One of them was built by William in 1763.
The first meeting house in the Nottingham settlement was built about 1706. Part of the present building, East Nottingham Meeting House, known locally as "The Brick", dates from 1724. The Brick Meeting House is located at Calvert, Maryland, about five miles east of Rising Sun and five miles south of Oxford, Pennsylvania. In 170, William Penn told his companions that he "Then and there set apart and dedicated forty acres of land to them and their successors - forever, for the combined purpose of public worship, the right of burial, and privilege of education". This verbal declaration of Penn was the only title by which Friends (Quakers) held the East Nottingham Meeting House, until 1765 when they were given a deed by John and Thomas Penn. William Churchman (b. 1/29/1721) was a trustee of the Brick Meeting House at this time, so his name is on the document.
The cemetery partially surrounds the Church. Next to the Church, where John and Hannah Churchman are buried, there are no markers of any kind -- then there is a half circle where small field stones mark the graves -- then small stones with inscriptions, and the later markers look like any other cemetery.
Generated by GenDesigner 2.0 beta 3.6
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids