(Thanks go to the Churcman family members, for this information.)
Traveling with the Seary family, including their daughter Hannah, John Churchman immigrated from Saffron-Walden, Essex County, England to the "New World" on April 23, 1682, on a ship called the 'Amity'. At this same time, William Penn arrived from England, to found and colonize what would become the state of Pennsylvania. John Churchman, like William Penn and the Seary's, was a Quaker. In 1704, John and Hannah were married, and took up residence in the newly formed Nottingham Township, Chester County, near Philadelphia.
Some nobble Quaker families who lived there were:
Five of John and Hannah Churchman's children, would later marry five members of the Rev. Richard Browne's family. Dinah Churchman married one of his grandsons, Mercer Brown. Susanna, John, and Miriam Churchman each married one of the children of William Brown (grandson of Rev. Richard Browne) and his wife Hester Baker. William Churchman married one of the daughters of Daniel Brown (grandson of Rev. Richard Browne) and his wife Elizabeth Kirk.
John Churchman was the first person to be buried in the cemetery adjacent to the 'Brick Meeting House'. (See Photos) The 'Brick Meeting House', was the first meeting place in the Nottingham settlement, and was built about 1706. Part of the present building, 'East Nottingham Meeting House', (known locally as "The Brick") dates from 1724. The 'Brick Meeting House' is located at Calvert, Maryland, about five miles east of Rising Sun and five miles south of Oxford, Pennsylvania. In 1701 William Penn told his companions that he "Then and there set apart and dedicated forty acres of land to them and their successors forever, for the combined purpose of public worship, the right of burial, and privilege of education". This verbal declaration of Penn was the only title by which 'Friends' (Quakers) held 'East Nottingham Meeting House', until 1765 when they were given a deed by John and Thomas Penn. William Churchman (son of John and Hannah) was a trustee of the 'Brick Meeting House' at this time, so his name is on the document.
The cemetery partially surrounds the Church. Next to the Church, where John and Hannah Churchman are buried, there are no markers of any kind -- then, there is a half circle, where small field stones mark the graves -- more small stones with inscriptions ring the outside -- and later markers look like any other cemetery.
Generated by GenDesigner 2.0 beta 3.6
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids