NEAL McCANN & MARY SHRUM
Neal McCann, b.1790 GA, married Mary Shrum, b. 1790 TN, in 1808 in Tennessee. Mary is the daughter of Nicholas Shrum Jr., b.1763 York Co., PA- d. 1851 Lincoln Co., MO) and Betsey Hostetler, b. 1760/70.
Neal's name is found spelled both as McCan and McCann in land patent records and court records. The name is of Irish origin-the MacAnnas, a sept in the territory of Clanbrassil around Lough Neagh in County Antrim, Ireland. The surname is derived from cano, meaning a wolfhound-Ireland's most ancient breed of dogs. In the United States, many MacCanns featured on the roll of officers serving with the Irish brigades during the American Civil War.
Neal and Mary were early settlers of Montgomery County, arriving about 1816. Later, the land they lived on would become part of the new county of Warren in 1833. Their neighbors included Daniel Boone and son-in-law Flanders Callaway in Charette Township. Mary's parents also came to Missouri and lived in Lincoln County. Other Shrums living in Lincoln County and enumerated in the 1830 census: John Shrum family of 10 - Bedford Township;; and the Joseph Shrum family of 7.
Land in Township 47, Warren County, Missouri
Land Patents Issued:
- 24 Sept 1821 Sect 18, Township 47N, Range 2 West. 80 acres. Patent imperfect. Not issued.
- 8 Oct 1835. Sect. 13, Township 47N, Range 3 West. 40 acres.
- 14 Jan 1836. Sect. 18, Township 47N, Range 2 West. 40 acres.
Doctor J. Jones visited made a visit to see Neal McCann on 20 February 1836. Shortly thereafter Neal McCan/McCann died. The following affidavit filed 27 April 1836 provides the names of his eleven children and wife, heirs to his estate on 27 April 1836.
State of Missouri
I Turner Roundtree do make oath to the best of my knowledge & belief that Neal McCan died leaving the following heirs to wit: Polly McCan, widow- Jesse McCan, Salama Skinner, Rhoda Cooper, Polly McCan, Matilda McCan, Delila McCan, Mahala McCan, Lewis McCan, Sarah McCan, Ruhama McCan and John M. or W. McCan, children, that the deceased died without will, that I will make a perfect inventory of and faithfully administer all the estate of the deceased and pay the debt as far as the assets will extend and the law direct, and account for and pay all assets which shall come to my possession or knowledge.
Sworn and subscribed to before me this 27th day of April, AD 1836 Carty Wells, clerk
NEAL McCAN & MARY SHRUM
Family genealogy research by: David McCann & Dee Townsend
Neal McCan. born after 1790, Georgia. between 20 February and 27 April 1836, Warrenton, Warren County, Missouri
1. Jesse McCANN, b. ca. 1811. Spouse: Thalba WILLIAMS
2. Salama McCANN, b. 1810/1815. Spouse: Alexander SKINNER
3. Rhoda McCANN, b. 1815. Spouse: Elihu COOPER.
4. Elizabeth McCANN, b. 1810/1815. Spouse: Lawrence LANKFORD/LANGFORD
5. Matilda McCANN, b. 1818/19. Sp 1: William COOK; Sp 2: James BONHAM; Sp 3: Jesse HIGBEE
6. Delilah McCANN, b. 1818. Sp: Flory Fountain TAYLOR
7. Mahala McCANN, b. 1820/21.
8. Lewis Duncan McCANN, b. 1824. Spouse: Mary Ann JOHNSON
9. Sarah McCANN, b. 1827. Sp 1: Jesse CARTWRIGHT. Sp 2: Robert Porter NEEL
10. Ruhama McCANN, b. 1830. Spouse: Robert Porter NEEL
11. John W. McCANN, b. 1830.
Note: The surname is spelled both McCan and McCann on various documents.
(1) Jesse McCANN, born about 1811 TN. Died 20 Sept 1883 Howell Co., Missouri..
Children all born in Warren County, Missouri:
(2) Salama McCANN, b. 1810/15, Tennessee.
(3) Rhoda McCANN, b. 1815, Tennessee.
(4) Polly (Elizabeth) McCANN, b.1810/15, Tennessee.
(5) Matilda McCANN, b.17 March 1818/19, Warren Co., MO. Died. 3 March 1903 Kansas City, Missouri.
(6) Delilah McCANN, b.1818, Warren Co., Missouri; d. 1899 Beetown, Grant Co., Wisconsin
6-a. John Lawrence Taylor, b.27 August 1840. Warren Co., Missouri; d. 1899.
- Military Service: Co. C, 2nd Cavalry, WI Volunteers.
- Married 11 March 1866, Beetown, Grant Co., Wisconsin
- Spouse: Aurelia McDANIEL 1845-1923 Grant Co., Wisconsin
- Both buried in Beetown Cemetery, Grant Co., Wisconsin
6-a-1. Nellie Taylor, b.11 Feb. 1867, Grant Co., Wisconsin
6-a-2. William H. Taylor, b.9 Dec. 1868, Grant Co., Wisconsin
6-b. Louisa Frances Taylor, b.1843. Marion Co., Illinois
- Spouse: James Alexander GARNER.
- Married 23 August 1863, Beetown, Grant Co., Wisconsin
6-c. Mary Taylor, born about 1845/46. Grant Co., Wisconsin
- Spouse: Josiah PECK.
- Married 5 October 1865, Grant Co., Wisconsin
6-c. Sarah Taylor, b. about 1848, Grant Co., Wisconsin
6-d. Laura Taylor, b. 8 March 1850, Grant Co., WI. Died 1891 Geneseo, Rice Co., Kansas
- Spouse: Charles GUIER, b. 22 Feb 1841, Grant Co., WI; d.1914, Geneseo, Rice Co., KS.
Son of Gideon Guier, Philadelphia, PA and Jane Kirkpatrick, Ohio. Military Service: Co. H, 7th Regiment, WI Infantry.
- Married: 30 December 1868, Grant Co., Wisconsin
- Moved to Jo Daviess Co., Illinois. Lived there from 1872-1878.
- Moved to Geneseo, Rice Co., Kansas. Fall 1878.
6-d-1. John Edwin Guier, b. 11 Dec 1865, Beetown, Grant Co., Wisconsin.
6-d-2. Eula Guier, b. about 1884, Geneseo, Rice Co., Kansas.
6-d-3. Frank Guier. Galt Township, Rice County, Kansas. Farmer.
6-d-4. Hattie Guier. Died at infancy. Age eighteen months.
6-e. Josephine Taylor, b.14 May 1854. Grant Co., WI.
- Spouse: William Cole McDANIEL (1850 WI-1904 MT).
- Married 5 June 1871, Grant Co., Wisconsin
- Immigrated to Philipsburg, Montana
6-e-1. Claude M. McDaniel, b. 1872, Beetown, Grant Co. Wisconsin
6-e-2. Charles A. McDaniel, b. 1874, Beetown, Grant Co., Wisconsin
6-e-3. Rosie F. McDaniel, b. 1881, Beetown, Grant Co., Wisconsin
6-e-4. William C. McDaniel, b.1886, Beetown, Grant Co., Wisconsin
6-f. Helen Armilla Taylor, b. about 1862. Grant Co., WI.
- Spouse: Charles Sebastian ENGLER.
- Married 9 March 1882, Grant Co., Wisconsin
(7) Mahala McCANN, b. 1820/21, MO. Present in 1830 census. Not in 1840 census.
(8) Lewis Duncan McCANN, b. about 1824, Warren Co., MO.
- Spouse: Mary Ann JOHNSON, b. 22 Oct 1825, NC; d. 12 Oct 1882 MO.
- Mary Ann is the daughter of John Johnson and Mary Irvin, North Carolina who live in Elkhorn Township, Warren Co., MO.
Sister Isabella Johnson married Presley Oakes son of Charles Taylor Oakes and Mary Archer (m. 23 Dec 1822 Rockingham, NC).
Johnson family came to Missouri in1831.
- Married 28 November 1844, Warren Co., Missouri
- Military duty: Corporal, Lincoln Co., MO Militia. Co. G, 37th Regiment Enrolled MO Militia. Union Forces
8-a. Martha J. McCann, b.1845 Warren Co. Missouri
8-b. John W. McCann, b.1848 Warren Co., Missouri
8-c. Mary W. McCann, b. 27 April 1849. Warren Co., Missouri
8-d. Laura F. McCann, b.1852/53. Warren Co., Missouri
8-e. Louis Neal McCann, b. 29 March 1855, Lincoln Co., Missouri.
8-f. William Francis McCann, b. 7 April 1858. Warren Co., Missouri
8-g. Margaret Isabella McCann, b. 21 May 1861, Warren Co. Missouri
8-h. Theodore Olmer McCann, b.1 June 1863, Warren Co. Missouri
8-i. Alice McCann, b.1866 Missouri.
(9) Sarah McCANN, b. 9 Dec 1827, Warren Co., Missouri; d.15 May 1890, Lacona, Iowa.
- Spouse 1: Jesse CARTWRIGHT, b. 1811 TN d. aft 1850 in California on gold mining expedition.
- Married: 27 May 1841, Warren Co., Missouri
Children (1850 Grant Co., WI Census)
9-a. Minerva Cartwright, b.1837 Tennessee (previous marriage/or niece)
9-b. Matthew H. Cartwright, b. 1842 Missouri
9-c. Elizabeth Ellen Cartwright, b.1845 Wisconsin
9-d. William P. Cartwright, b.1848 Wisconsin
9-e. Sarah M. Cartwright, b. late 1850 Wisconsin
- Spouse 2: Robert Porter NEEL, b.12 March 1823 Kentucky; d. 20 Nov 1906, Lacona, Iowa.
- Married 4 September 1853, Grant Co., Wisconsin
9-f. Mary Isabelle Neel, b. 1854, Monroe Co., Iowa.
9-g. Phama Almedia Neel, b. 23 Aug 1855, Monroe Co., Iowa; d.2 April 1866, Warren Co., MO.
9-h. Martha Matilda Neel, b. 28 Dec 1857, Monroe Co., Iowa.
9-i. Emma Neel, b.22 Dec 1861, Warren Co., Iowa.
(10) Ruhama McCANN, b. about 1830 Warren Co., MO; d. 1849 Grant Co., Wisconsin
- Spouse: Robert Porter NEEL, b.12 March 1823 Kentucky; d. 20 Nov 1906, Lacona, Iowa.
- Married 18 May 1848, Grant Co., Wisconsin. Note: After Ruhama died in 1849, Mr. Neel married her sister,
the widow-Sarah McCann Cartwright in 1853.
Children: (1850 Grant Co., WI Census, living with Sarah McCann Cartwright)
10-a. William P. Neel, b.1849. Grant Co., Wisconsin; d. before 1860.
10-b. John J. Neel Born, b. 1849 Grant Co., Wisconsin.
(11) John M. or W. McCANN, b. after1830, Warren Co., Missouri.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids