Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

1873 St Allen Post Office Directory

Zelah Chapel
Photograph by Steve Beazley, Copyright 2002 - 2007


ST ALLEN

Rev. George MORRIS M.A.IncumbentRectory
John APPLEDOREMillerLanner Mill
John BASSETFarmerCralso
James BENNYCarpenterHenver Turnings
Oliver CARVETHFarmerNancarrow
William CARVETHFarmerBoswellick
James COCKFarmerTolcarne
Cornwall Blasting Power Works (John TONKIN Manager) Bishops Wood
Richard GILLFarmerTrerice
John HOOPERFarmerEast Downs
Paul HOCKINGFarmerBowling Green
Nicholas HOSKINGSFarmerKillyvose
John HOSKINSMiller & FarmerGwarnick Mill
Paul HOSKINSFarmerHands
William Henry HOSKINSFarmer
Cornelius HOTTENFarmerTrefronick
James HOTTENFarmerTrenerry
James KENDALLFarmerHoneycombs
William LAMPSHIREFarmerPenglaze
Albert LANYONFarmerLower Town
Elial LANYONFarmerHenver
Richard LANYONFarmerPolstein
Samuel LANYONFarmerLanner
Mrs Richard SAMPSON & SonsFarmersTolgrogan
Robert VINCENTFarmerRoskief

ZELAH

Richard ARTHURBoot & Shoemaker
James BENNYCarpenter & Wheelwright
John BENNYFarmer
John BORLASEHawkins Arms
John DAWEFarmer & Assistant Overseer
John GREGORShopkeeper
John HOSKINSShopkeeper
John JOSEHalf Moon & Farmer
Richard KENDALLFarmer
Misses L & I LANYONGrocers & Drapers
Thomas LETCHERBlacksmith
John RAWLINGBoot & Shoemaker
Abraham REEDBlacksmith
Hannibal ROWEShopkeeper
William THOMASFarmer
Nicholas TRUSCOTTCarpenter

St Allen, with the township of Zelah, is a parish and a straggling village, 4 and three quarter miles from Truro station of the West Cornwall railway, and 1.5 from the turnpike road from Truro to Zelah, in the western division of the County, Hundred of Powder, Truro Union and County Court District, Rural Deanery of Powder, Archdeaconry of Cornwall and Diocese of Exeter, and is situated on the river St Allen.

The Church of St Allen is an ancient edifice, chiefly in the perpendicular style: it consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, and porch, with a square tower having 3 bells, and surmounted with a minaret on the north-east corner, and contains and ancient monument to the MARTEN family, of Trefronick, dated 1626.

The register dates from the year 1680. The living is a rectory, endowed in 1314, yearly value 147, with residence and 118 acres of glebe land, in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and held by the Rev. George MORRIS, MA, of Balliol College, Oxford.

The Lay Impropriator, Viscount FALMOUTH, receives 271 5s tithe-rent-charge. There are Sunday schools: those of the Church held at St Allen, and the Methodists at Zelah.

A fair for cattle is held at Zelah in May; and St Allen Feast is held on Rogration Sunday. The Lord of the Manor is the Bishop of Exeter, and the chief landowners are C.T.H. HAWKINS, Esq., of Trewithian, and Charles PRIDEAUX-BRUNE Esq., of Padstow.

The soil is loamy; the subsoil of a slaty nature. The crops are chiefly wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The acreage is 3,501; rateable value, 3,175; and the population of this parish in 1871 was 774.

The township of Zelah is 1 and three quarter miles north west from St-Allen. The Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels are situated here.

Parish Clerk:- Henry SWEET

Letters through Truro, which is the nearest money order office

Assistant Overseer:- John DAWE of Zelah




© Copyright Blanche Charles, 2003 - 2008
All Rights Reserved