1910 Perranzabuloe Trade Directory
White House Court, Perranzabuloe
Photograph by Steve Beazley, © Copyright 2002 - 2007
PERRANZABULOE or St Piran-in-the-Sands is a large township and parish, on the sea coast and on the road from Trurb to Perranporth and from Redruth to St Columb, and is 5 miles north-north-east from Chacewater station on the West Cornwall section of the Great Western railway, 7 north-west from Truro and 8 north-east from Redruth, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Pydar, petty sessional division of Powder West, Truro union and county court district, rural deanery of Powder, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The Perranporth and Newquay branch ot the Great Western railway runs through the parish, and has stations at Perranporth and Goonhavern. Parts of the parish are greatly overblown with sea sand and in the adjoining hills are rabbit warrens. Navigation is rendered perilous along this coast on account of the rocks by which it is skirted.
The present church is the third which has been erected in this parish : the earliest was the church or "oratory" of St. Piran, an early British saint, who came from Ireland in the 5th century, having been consecrated by St. Patrick for a mission to Cornwall; this building from its structural peculiarities has been considered by competent authorities to date from the 6th century, and is supposed to have been erected over the tomb of St. Piran, and a headless skeleton, conjectured to be that of the saint, was found buried beneath the altar, when the oratory was first discovered and cleared from sand in 1835; its external dimensions were found to be, length 29 feet, breadth 16½ feet, height of gables, 19 feet; the masonry was of the rudest kind, china clay being substituted for lime; the entrance door was at the south side, with a semicircular arch ornamented with a leopard's head carved on the key-stone and a human head on each side at the spring of the arch; these, together with the corbels, are now in the Truro Museum: it is supposed that this oratory was first overwhelmed with sand in the 9th century, when another church was erected, on the further side of a stream which kept back the shifting sands; this was rebuilt in 1420, in a style of some magnificence, and was safe from the encroachments of the sand for more than a century after: the course of the stream having been turned and its waters drawn off by the working of mines, the sand encroached still further and in 1803 it was resolved, after some discussion, to remove and rebuild the church; accordingly the tower, windows, arches, pillars and porch were removed to a part of the parish called Lambourne, three miles distant, where now stands the present church of St. Piran, a cruciform building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south aisle and south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 3 bells: on the north side of the nave is a tablet of white marble and underneath is the following inscription —"The first stone of this parish church was laid in the year 1804, after two former ones had been successively overwhelmed with the sand of the desert in which they were imprudently built;" in 1879 the church was reopened, after having undergone restoration throughout, at a cost of £791; the galleries were removed, the church reseated, the chancel raised and a carved oak pulpit and western screen constructed from the wood of the old benches: there are 340 sittings. On the site of the second church stands a tall, round-headed cross, 9 feet high and about 2 feet wide at the base. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1562; marriages, 1603; burials, 1653, but the earlier portions consist of imperfect fragments. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £220, with 2 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Truro, and held since 1909 by the Rev. Richard Tolson Schlesinger Tolson B.A. of Keble College, Oxford. A new vicarage house was erected in March, 1888.
The inhabitants of this parish are chiefly employed in mining and agriculture. The Oates's charity of about £12 yearly is distributed among poor parishioners who have not received parish relief; also the Cleather's charity of £2 yearly is distributed; £1 being for poor parishioners not in receipt of parish relief, and £1 for a sermon. St Piran's Well, a small baptistery, was distant half a mile north-east from the church and inclosed with granite walls; the remains of the stone work have been removed to Chyverton, in this parish. North of the site of the well is St. Piran's round, a turfed amphitheatre and one of the most interesting specimens of the old open-air Cornish theatre now remaining; it is 130 feet in diameter, with a rampart 10 feet in height, encircling the summit, and rises in seven steps; the whole area will hold about 2,000 persons and in mediaeval times exhibitions of miracle plays were held here; within the round is a trenched passage, communicating with an ovoid-shaped recess. Near the manor house of Tywarnhayle is a small island, on which formerly stood a chapel, called Engarder, the ruins of which were visible in 1733. Chyverton is the seat of Mrs. Peter, Major-Gen. Viscount Falmouth K.C.V.O., O.B. the Rev. Sir Vyell Donnithorne Vyvyan bart. of Trelowarren, of Mawgan-in-Meneage, Francis Gilbert Enys esq. of Enys, St. Gluvias, and the Rev. St. Aubyn Hender Molesworth-St. Aubyn M.A. of Clowance, Crowan, who are lords of the manor, George Coulter Hancock esq. of St. Agnes, and Mrs. Peter are the chief landowners.
The soil varies greatly; the subsoil is shelf and spar. The chief crops produced are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 10,881 acres of land, 16 of water, 8 of tidal water and 296 of foreshore; rateable value, £883; the population in 1901 was 2,465 for the ecclesiastical and 2,695 for the civil parish.
PERRANPORTH, about 2 miles north-west from the church, with a station on the Perranporth and Newquay branch of the Great Western railway, is a village on the coast, much frequented in the summer months as a bathing-place, on account of its fine sandy beach. The chapel of ease of St. Michael, a building of stone in the Early English style, was erected and opened in 1872, and consists of chancel and nave. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. The Convalescent Home was built at the expense of J. Passmore Edwards esq. of 51 Netherall gardens, Hampstead, London N.W. who also provided the endowment fund of £6,000, the trustees of which are the governors of the Eoyal Cornwall Infirmary, Truro. There is also a Home of Rest for Women. Pilchard fishing is carried on. A Board of Trade rocket apparatus is kept here.
The following are small hamlets, with their distances from the church:—
BOLINGEY, 1 mile north-west,- with a Wesleyan chapel;
CALLESTICK, 1 mile south-east, - with a Wesleyan chapel;
PENHALLOW, three-quarters of a mile south, with a United Methodist chapel;
PERRANCOMBE, 2 north-west;
ROSE, 2 north-north-east, -with a Wesleyan chapel;
VENTONGIMPS, 1 mile south-east, and GOONHAVERN, 2 miles north-east, with a United Methodist chapel; there is also at Goonhavern a halting place on the Chacewater, Perranporth and Newquay rail motor car service of the Great Western railway.
Post, M. O. & T. Office, Perranporth (letters should have Cornwall added).— Mrs. Norah Victor-Westcott, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive at 7.40 a.m. & 1 & 7 p.m.; dispatched at 11.10 a.m.. & 4.30 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays
Post Office, Bolingey.—Mrs. Ann Jane Nicholls, subpostmistress. Letters arrive through Perranporth, Cornwall, at 8.25 a.m.; dispatched at 8.45 a.m. & 4.10 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays. Perranporth, 1 mile distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Post Office, Callestick (letters should have Cornwall added).—Frederick Trelease, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 7.10 a.m. & 1.30 p.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays. Perranporth, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Post Office, Goonhavern.—Mrs. Mary Ford, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive through Callestick, Cornwall, about 10 a.m.; dispatched at 3.55 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays. Perranporth, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Wall Letter Boxes.— Cocks, cleared at 4.50 p.m.; Lambourne, cleared at 4.25 p.m.; Mount Treamble cleared at 3.15 p.m.; Rose, cleared at 11.40 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.; Station road, cleared at 9.40 a.m. & 4.25 p.m. & Tywarnhayle road, cleared at 9.30 a.m. & 3.30 p.m. all week days only; Wall Letter Box, Chyverton, cleared at 4.20 p.m. week days only
PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS
The undermentioned schools are under the control of the Truro & Falmouth District Education Committee; Anthony A. Clinnick, Boscawen street, Truro, secretary
Goonhavern, erected in 1876, for 261 children; average attendance, 185 ; William Tresidder, master
Penwartha, erected in 1879, for 200 children; average attendance, 76; Montague Richards, master
Perranporth (infants), erected in 1898, for 78 children; average attendance, 48 ; Miss Philippa Williams, mist.
Perranporth, Henry Pearce, station master
Goonhavern, Rail Motor halt
Truro- Richard Mitchell, Robert Mitchell, Henry Parkin & Charles Tregoning, Wed. & Sat. ; returning same days
Redruth—Richard Mitchell, Henry Parkin & Charles Tregoning, FriPERRANZABULOE. Marked thus * receive letters through Perranporth Marked thus t receive letters through Callestick. *Cotton Rev. Charles Leigh Stapleton (curate), Vicarage *Hodge Anthony, Kirkdale t Peter Mrs, Chyverton *Tolson Rev. Richard Tolson Schlesinger B.A. (vicar), Vicarage *Trenery Charles Henry, Glenview COMMERCIAL. t Bartle Jn. farmr. Higher Penwartha t Bartle Wm. Hy. farmr., Miry bottom t Batten Susan Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Worthyvale Bennetts Thomas Hy. farmer, Rose-in- vale (letters through Scorrier) t Bown Herbt. Thos., farmr. Perranwell *Clark Stephen, coal & manure merchant & estate & insurance agent, Treamble *Crowse (The) & Carne Quarry Co. (macadam) (Stephen Clark, sec.); offices, Treamble; quarries, Treamble siding, G. W. R *Glanville Constantine, frmr. Hendra *Grigg Sidney, farmer, Reen t Grubb Hy. Martin, frmr. Perranwell *Harding Wm. farmer, Lower Reen t Higgins Philip, farmer, Polvena t Johns John, farmer, Rees *Lockett Simon, farmer, Hendra Croft *May Thos. Hy. farmer, Higher Reen t Mewton Albert, farmer, Engilley *Mewton Saml. farmr. Chyverton frm *Mitchell Harlan, farmer, Hendrawna *Newton Matthew, farmer, Lambourne t Northcott Thos., farmer, Lambourne t Northey Jn. frmr. Higher Penwartha Pascoe Edward, Tanner's Water inn, Tanner’s Water, (letters through St Newlyn East) *Penna Simeon J & Ernest E, farmers, Stampas *Penna Edward, farmer, Hendra Penna Jn. Arth. farmer, Saddle-rock, (letters through St. Newlyn East) Penna Simeon, farmer, Treamble *Penna William Henry, farmer *Perran Mining Co. (Stephen Clark, sec.), Treamble *Phillips William, farmer, Penhale t Perranzabuloe Nursing Association (Mrs. J. Retallack, hon. sec.), Ventongimps t Prout John, farmer, Penwartha t Richards Edward, farmer, Penwartha *Richards Mark, builder, Cocks Rose Wm. farmer, Montrose (letters through Scorrier) *Rowland William, frmr. Pencrennow *Rundle Percy, farmer, Trevellance t Sampson Sydney, farmer, Engilley t Trenerry William Henry & Son, farmers, Chynayle & Lambourne *Trenerry Edgar Williams,land agent, accountant, clerk to Parish Council & assistant overseer, Cocks Hill *Trevethan Frederick, farmer, Mount t Trevethan Michl. frmr. Ventonvease *Trevethan Win. farmer, Tresawsen *Tyzzer James, farmer, Treworthan *Tyzzer William, farmer, Treworthan *Uglow William, farmer, Gear t Warne Joseph, farmer, Carneboa *Warne Josiah, farmer, Nansmellyn t White John King, farmer, Karnkief BOLINGEY. - Letters through Perranporth. Chudleigh Charles, Ockiep house Hodge Anthony & John Jervis, millers (water) Hore William, boot maker Nicholls Ann Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, & post office Robins William H. Bolingey hotel Trevethan Thomas, butcher Trevethan William, farmer Wakeham George, farmer CALLESTICK. - Perranzabuloe should not be added to postal address. Berryman Josiah, cattle dlr. Pendowm Hawkey Arnold, farmer Reynolds Thomas, farmer Rogers Alfd. farmer, Callestick Veor Stephens Herbert, farmer, Golla Trenerry Samuel, shopkeeper Trevethan Michael, farmer Trudgeon Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Little Callestick GOONHAVERN. - Letters through Callestick, Cornwall. Bircham Arthur J. beer retailer Ford Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. Post off Knight John, carpenter Menadue Clarinda (Miss), shopkeeper Nicholls Nathaniel, farmer Parkin Henry, carrier Salmon Arthur, blacksmith Tyzzer Richard I. Farmer PENHALLOW. - Letters through Callestick. Jenkin John, farmer Payne Henry Edwin, shopkeeper Rilstone Edward J., carpenter Salmon William Henry, blacksmith Trebilcock Wallace, carpenter Welsh Ernestine (Mrs.), Plume of Feathers P.H PERRAN COMBE. - Letters through Perranporth, Westcott John Collett Thomas, farmer Locke John, farmer PERRANPORTH. - Perranzabuloe should not be added to postal address. PRIVATE RESIDENTS. Gush Rev. Robert Hugh (Wesleyan Methodist), Hillside Hunkin Miss, The Crescent Johnston William John, Fernleigh Marshall Francis, Somerleigh Mence William Charles, Piran house Mitchell Misses, Avala Mitchell Thomas, Green bank Oliver Mrs. Sunnyside Pill Mrs. Droskyn Roberts James, Old Vicarage Roberts William, Beach villa Roberts William, Bella Vista Tamblyn Mrs. Claremont house Tamblyn William, Tywarnhayle road Thomas William, Tywarnhayle Tregoning Misses, Tywarnhayle Truman Rev. Francis (Wesleyan Methodist) Turner Joseph Vaughan, St. George's Weatherill Rev. William Henry (Wesleyan Methodist), Massaic COMMERCIAL. Alfred Mines Limited (Fras.Marshall, manager & sec) Bice Amelia (Mrs.), lodging house Bice Elizabeth (Mrs.), lodging house Capital & Counties Bank Ltd. (subbranch) (open Thursdays, 10 to 3); draw on head office, 39 Threadneedle street, London E 0 Childs Harry W. carpenter Clark Sabina (Mrs.), aparts. Trelawn Convalescent Home (Wm. O. Mence M.R.C.S.Eng., hon. surgeon; Miss Rimington, matron) Ellery Edwin T. photographer Ellery James Trebilcock, apartments Goodfortune Tin Mine (Reed, Beckett & Johnston) (J. Turner, manager) Harvey-Mitchell Samuel, cycle & insurance agent Healey John F. insurance agent House of Rest for Women (Miss Tuck, matron) Johnson John Charles.Tywarnhayle ht) Knight Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper Lloyds Bank Limited (sub-branch), open Tuesdays 2 to 4; draw on head office, 54 Lombard st,.London EO Martyn & Son, shopkeepers Martyn Frederick L. auctioneer, see Trebilcock & Martyn Menadue James, shopkeeper Mence William Charles M.R.O.S.Eng.,. L.R.C.P.Lond., physician & surgeon, Piran house Mewton Kate (Mrs.),refreshment rms Mitchell Alfred & Son, butchers Mitchell Francis Trebilcock, aparts Mitchell Harlin Kernick, apartments, Eversleigh Mitchell Richard, carrier Mitchell Sampson, shopkeeper Mitchell Thos. tin streamer & farmer Mitchell William, builder Nobel's Explosives Co. Ltd. (Joseph Vaughan Turner, manager) Pearce William, Perranporth hotel Perranporth Lawn Tennis Club (Montague Richards & Edgar W. Trenerry, hon. secs) Perranporth Men's Institute (Harry Robins, hon. sec) Richards John, grocer Rickeard Elisha, hair dresser Robins T. H. & Sons, carpenters Robins Thos. Hy. (Mrs.), apartments Stephens Henry, carpenter Taylor James, apartments Trebilcock & Martyn, auctioneers Trebilcock Francis, apartments Trebilcock Frank, draper Tregoning Charles, carrier Tremewan John, painter Trevethan Edwin, aparts. Trevose Trevethan Thomas, butcher White Caleb, boot maker ROSE. - Letters through Perranporth. Davis John & Ernest, carpenters Bice William, boot maker Hooper John, farmer Lockett Simon, farmer Menadue William John, pork butcher Penna Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper Symonds James, blacksmith Taylor Brothers, builders Taylor John Rose, shopkeeper VENTONGIMPS. - Letters through Callestick Higgins Philip, farmer Martyn & Son, millers (water) Retallack John, farmer & road surveyor to the Truro Rural District Council Reynolds Joseph, farmer Reynolds Thomas, farmer
© Copyright Blanche Charles, 2003 - 2007
All Rights Reserved
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids