1910 St Newlyn East Trade Directory
St Newlyn East Pub
Photograph by Steve Beazley, © Copyright 2003 - 2007
NEWLYN, or St. Newlyn East, with a part of the hamlet of Mitchell, is a large parish and village situated in an elevated position, commanding a fine prospect, 4 miles south-south-east from Newquay station on the Great Western (Cornwall Minerals) railway, and with a "halt" on the Chacewater and Newquay rail motor car service of same railway, 10 north from Truro and 8 south-west from St. Columb, in the Mid division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Pydar, union and county court district of St.Columb Major, rural deanery of Pydar, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Newlyn is a venerable cruciform edifice of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, transepts, south aisle, south porch with parvise and a lofty embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 5 bells; beneath the east end of the south aisle is the burial place of the Arundells of Trerice, wherein many of that family are interred; against the wall above is a mural monument of marble to Lady Margaret Arundell, 1691, with a well-executed bust and the family arms; there are piscinæ in the chancel and south transept, and the rood stairs remain in the north wall; in the chancel there are memorial windows to the Rev. James Jenkin Keigwin B.A., former curate, d. 1829, and Mary Ann (Richards), his wife, d 1839; the Rev T H Britton, M.A. vicar here 1856-80, and Miss Britton, his daughter, and to Mr. G. G. Bullmore, for 30 years churchwarden, and a memorial brass to the Rev. James Jenkin Keigwin mentioned above: in 1883 the church was completely restored under the direction of Mr. J. D. Sedding, architect, at a cost of £2,500, when the chancel was refloored with marble and Portland stone, a rood screen of carved oak erected as a memorial of Archbishop Benson's connection with the diocese, the interior reseated with oak benches, and the Norman font renovated and adorned with marble shafts; the church was reopened Dec. 27, in the same year; a new organ was provided in 1893 at a cost of £250: there are 350 sittings.
The register of baptisms dates from the year 1560; burials and marriages, 1559. The living is a vicarage, net income £300, with, residence and about 11 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Isaac Broad Eade, who is a surrogate.
There is a Mission room at Trevarthian gate, seating 45, where divine service is held every Thursday evening. In the village is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, and there are others at Mitchell, Rejerrow, and Kestle Mill, in this parish. A cemetery of one acre was formed in 1882 at a cost of £250, and is under the control of the Parish Council. An addition to the churchyard adjoining this cemetery has also been laid out and duly consecrated; the land was given by C. H. T. Hawkins esq.
The baronial mansion of Trerice was formerly the seat of the Arundell family, barons Arundell, of Trerice, and for some time the residence of Sir John Arundell kt. M.P. for Cornwall and subsequently for the borough of Tregony, who was present with Queen Elizabeth at Tilbury Fort in 1588, and in 1646, at the advanced age of 87, bravely defended Pendennis Castle against the forces of the Parliament: of the original house, erected in 1572, a large portion is still standing, but the rooms on the north side, becoming dilapidated, have been pulled down, to the great disfigurement of the structure. The estate of Degembris was purchased from the Tregians, of Golden, in the reign of James I. by the Arundells, from whom it has since passed, with other estates, into the possession of Sir Charles Thomas Dyke Acland bart, of Killerton, Exeter. Tresillian House, the seat of Lieut.-Col. Edward Gully Bennet J.P. was purchased from the Davies family by a Mr. Gully, from whose family it passed in marriage to an ancestor of the present inheritor : the manor of Trerice was formerly vested in the Arundells of Lanherne, and afterwards became the property of Lady Augusta Clifford. The manor of Cargoll, according to the Domesday Survey, was anciently attached to the priory of Bodmin. The Bishops of Exeter formerly had a palace here. The lords of the manor and principal landowners are Sir Charles Thomas Dyke Acland bart., Major-Gen. Viscount Falmouth K.C.V.O., C.B., the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, Lieut. -Col. E. G. Bennet and George Horace Johnstone, of Trewithen, Probus. The lay impropriators of the rectorial tithe rent-charge, commuted at £757, and of 111 acres of rectorial glebe, are now the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, to whom the great tithe reverted on the death of Mr. Heywood Johnstone.
The soil varies; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 8,363 acres of land and 8 of water; rateable value, £7,841; and the population in 1901 was 1,202. The ancient borough of Mitchell, or St. Michael, lies partly in this parish and partly in St. Enoder, particulars of which, are given under the latter heading.
Post, M. O. & T. Office.— Mrs. Mary Tamblyn, subpostmistress. Letters should be addressed St. Newlyn East, Grampound Road. Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 8.15 a.m. & are dispatched thereto per mail cart at 4.40 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays
PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS
Newlyn (mixed), built in 1877, for 200 children ; average attendance, 115 ; Charles Webber, master
Oxnam's Infant, for 65 children; average attendance,. 56; Miss Buckingham, mistress
These schools are under the control of St. Austell & St. Colurnb District Education Committee; G. P. Bunt, St. Austell, clerk
Carriers to Truro. — Gray & Bennetto, Wed. & Sat. returning same dayPRIVATE RESIDENTS Barden Rev. William H. (Wesleyan Methodist), The Manse Bennet Lieut.-Col. Edward Gully J.P.Tresillian house
(letters through Summercourt, Grampound Road) Bullmore Jas. Christian J.P. Tregair Eade Rev. Isaac Broad (vicar), The Vicarage Felton Walter Braithwaite Tremain James, Kestle mill Webber Charles COMMERCIAL Argall Henry, frmr.Shepherds & Metha Argall Martin Thomas, shopkeeper Barbey Thomas, shoe maker, Trevoal Bennetto Charles & Sons, carpenters Bennetto Israel, carpenter Bennetto Mary (Mrs.), gro.& ironmgr Bennetts Jn. miller (water),Trewerry Bice Francis Fredk. frmr. Trendrean Bullmore George Green, assistant overseer & assessor,
clerk to the Parish Council, Newquay Bullmore Jas. Christian J.P. farmer & assessor & collector of income & land
taxes & vicarial tithes Tregair Cemetery (George Green Bullmore, clerk to the parish council) Chapman Joseph, mason, Trevoale Cocking William, blacksmith Cocking Wm. Thos. frmr. Tregurless Curtis William, butcher & farmer Curtis William, farmer, Penhallow Davies Mary (Mrs.), farmer Davies William, farmer, Trevilson Daw Richd. (Mrs.),frmr. Church town Eva Thos. Jas. farmer, Nancemere Felton Walter Braithwaite L.R.C.P. & S. & L.M.Irel., physician & surgeon, & medical officer
& public vaccinator 4th district, St. Columb Major union Glanville Henry, farmer, Traffel Glanville Thomas, farmer, Newham Glasson James Russell, farmer, Trescowthick Glasson Arthur farmer, Rejerrow Grey John, farmer, Fiddler's green Hawke Charles Henry, registrar of births & deaths for Newlyn subdistrict, Mitchell Hawkey George, mason Hawkey John, mason Hocking Samuel, farmer,Fiddler's grn Kent Richard, farmer, Scotland Knowles Harry, temperance hotel Lanyon Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper Lanyon William, farmer, Cargoll Lanyon William, farmer, Treludderow Lawer William, mason Manhire Frederick, farmer, Mitchell Manhire Simeon, butcher Martin John, blacksmith Martyn James, shopkeeper Martyn Richard, wheelwright Miners Charles, farmer, Polgreen Mitchell William Jn. Farme, Cost is lost Pomeroy Philip, master mariner Prisk Wm. Jn. Feathers P.H. Mitchell Richards William, farmer, Nanhellan Rounsevell John, farmer, Tredinnick Rowe Jn. Allanson, farmer, Rejerrow Rowe Joseph Hicks, farmer.Nancolleth Rowe Richard, farmer, Parknoweth St. Newlyn Reading Room & Institute -
(W. B. Felton, president; W. Lanyon, treasurer; C. Webber, sec) Sangers Amos, farmer, Kestle mill Searle John G. farmer, Ventonerran Searle Wm. farmer, Lower Treluddra Stephens Benjamin, farmer Stephens Jas.miller (water), Rejerrow Symons Thomas H. grocer Tamblyn William Rogers, shoe maker Tippett Richard & Arthur, farmers, Lappa & Trevilson Tremain Harry, farmer, Tregonning Tremain William, farmer,Trevarthian Tremaine William Hy. farmer,Trerice Treneer William Tremain, farmer, Little Degembris Trethewey Jas. Rowe, farmer, Goonwinnows Trethewey Richd. frmr. Church town Williams James, shoe maker Woodley James Matthews, farmer,. Great Degembris Woodley Thos. Jn. farmer, Trenance
© Copyright Blanche Charles, 2003 - 2008
All Rights Reserved
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids