Royal Oak pub, Cauldwell
© Copyright Rita Dowse, 2004
CAULDWELL is a township and chapelry, 4 miles south from Burton-upon-Trent and 3 south-west from Gresley station on the Derby and Birmingham section of the Midland railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, parish of Stapenhill, Swadlincote petty sessional division, union and county court district of Burton-upon-Trent, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and Diocese of Southwell. (sic)
The chapel of St Giles is an ancient building of grey sandstone, now chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells, cast in 1865 : of the original structure there remain in the nave two very small lights of rude workmanship, one on each side, with circular heads, and there is another in the north wall of the chancel ; these are undoubtedly of pre-Norman work, and must have been there when Abbot Briteric gave the church at Stapenhill and its appurtenances to Burton monastery : there are inscribed stones on the floor of the chancel to Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Edmond SLEIGH, of Derby, and wife of Collingwood SANDERS (1588 - 1652); to Major Henry SANDERS, of London (1582 - 1616); and to Collingwood SANDERS, lord of Cauldwell and Ireton (1578 - 1653), and a modern brass to Sir Thomas GRESLEY bart, MP, d Dec 18, 1868 : the east window is stained : the church was renovated in 1843 and restored in 1865, and has 80 sittings.
The register of baptisms and burials, incorporated with that of Stapenhill, dates from 1679 ; marriages were solemnised at Stapenhill. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Stapenhill, average tithe rent-charge £110, net yearly value £321, with 89 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Marquess of Anglesey, and held since 1875 by the Rev Edmund WARBECK BA of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Stapenhill. Here is a small Baptist chapel.
Cauldwell Hall, the seat of Lieut-Col Charles MILLIGAN JP who is lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a fine mansion of brick, surrounded by picturesque grounds, with an ornamental piece of water. The soil varies ; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,028 acres ; rateable value, £2,080 ; the population in 1881 was 164.
WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 5.35 pm. Letters through Burton-upon-Trent arrive at 8 am. The nearest money order office is at Linton and telegraph office at Gresley station.
The children of this parish attend school at Rosliston and Linton.
Stapenhill Parish Registers are held at the Derbyshire County Record office, in Matlock and have not been filmed by the LDS. Stapenhill Bishops' Transcripts, however, have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered through their family history libraries. There are however, major gaps in the BTs - namely between July 1708 - June 1711; August 1747 - August 1762; Sep 1770 - 1800.
|MILLIGAN Lieut-Col Charles, JP||Cauldwell Hall|
|BEARD John||Farmer, Breach Farm|
|BEARD Thomas||Farmer, Morris Croft|
|DURANT Marcus||Royal Oak Public House|
© Copyright Blanche Charles, 2004
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids