The elder Chancellor emigrated to the Colonies with his three sons and initially settled in VA. Then, the father and two sons removed to SC, leaving Jackson in VA. Once the Revolutionary War began, the father sided with the British, while the two sons fought against the British. The elder Chancellor was never seen or heard from after the separation in SC.
468. George STRATFORD was born in 1707 in Randwick, Standish, Gloucestershire, England. He was christened on Sep 27 1707 in Randwick, Standish, Gloucestershire, England. He married Judyth GREENING on Sep 10 1728 in Randwick, Standish, Gloucestershire, England. [Parents]
480. Samuel WEST was born about 1732. He died about 1800 in , , VA. [Parents]
From the book, "Joseph West and Jane Owen", by Celeste Terrell Barnhill, "Samuel West, b. 1732. He was a lieutenant and later a captain in the Pennsylvania Regiment. He was commissioned a lieutenant Apr 8, 1759 and again May 7, 1759. April 30, 1760 he is a captain with Col. Anthony Wayne."
482. Capt Ely KERSHAW RWV was born about 1743 in Sowerby, West Riding, Yorkshire, England. He died in Dec 1780 in Enroute, to Bermuda, under exile. He married Mary CANTEY on Nov 19 1769 in Camden, Camden District, SC. [Parents]
Ely came to Charleston with his brothers Joseph and William about 1750. He served with Colonel William Thomson's Rangers and rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel. He was exiled by the British after the surrender of Charleston, and died aboard ship enroute to Bermuda.
Initially, he served as a clerk for Joseph Kershaw who was a backcountry agent for the mercantile firm of Ancrum, Lance & Loocock. In 1763, he signed articles of partnership with his brother Joseph, John Chestnut, William Ancrum and Aaron Loocock. Together, they operated a highly successful mercantile company until its dissolution on 8 Dec 1774. He owned a store in the Cheraw District and accumulated thru grants some 950 acres on the PeeDee River and Juniper Creek. It was on his land that the town of Cheraw was founded. Furthermore, with his partners, he was the recipient of another grant for 400 acres on Juniper Creek . However, in 1774, he moved from the PeeDee area to Camden, where he continued his business association with his brother Joseph. On 19 Nov 1769, he married Mary Cantey and they produced three children.
Politically active, he was appointed a commissioner to supervise the building of a courthouse and jail in the Cheraw District . As a result, he received £3,000 of public money. Additionally, he became embroiled in a controversy over the site of the buildings. Despite a legislative order that the courthouse be located at Long Bluff, he and the other Cheraw commissioners began construction at Cheraw Hill. Charging that the commissioners had moved the site in order to attract business to Kershaws' store, settlers successfully petitioned the legislature against the change. Other local offices and memberships he held included: tax inquirer and collector for St. Mark Parish [1764, 1766] and for the Waterees ; vestryman [1770-1772, 1773-1774]; churchwarden [1774-1775] for St. David Parish; and member of the Mount Sion  and South Carolina  societies.
He supported the Whig cause from the beginning of the American Revolution. The Distrcit Eastward of Wateree River elected him to the First Provincial Congress . A member of the Second General Assembly [1776-1778], he again represented the District Eastward of the Wateree River in the Third General Assembly [1779-1780]. Simultaneously, he served in the military, receiving his Captain's commission in the Third Regiment of Rangers on 18 June 1775. Promoted to Lt. Colonel by February 1779, he was present that year at a skirmish with Tories on Beach Island near Augusta.
Confirmation of marriage information found in the "South Carolina Gazette" newspaper, Thursday, 30 November 1769; "The 19th instant Mr. Eli Kershaw, of Rockingham, was married to Miss Mary Cantey, daughter of Capt. John Cantey, of Camden."
483. Mary CANTEY was born in 1749. She died in Camden, Kershaw, SC. [Parents]
484. John TRUESDEL II or RWV was born about 1740 in Kinghill, Clonduff, Co Down, Ireland. He died on Jul 24 1806 in , Lancaster, Kershaw District, SC. He was buried in Jul 1806 in , Lancaster, Kershaw District, SC. He married Mary HOLLINSWORTH about 1763 in County Down, Ulster Providenc, northern Ireland. [Parents]
Revolutionary War Veteran - Private, South Carolina Militia Served in Col. Joseph Kershaw's Regiment [DAR Patriot Index, Centennial Edition, Part 3, page 2981.]
Came to the US in 1772 aboard the brigantine "FREE MASON", landing at the port of Charleston. Petitioned the immigrant council for his bounty land on 06 Jan 1773. As one of 53 eligible passengers, including several neighbors from the Rathfriland area, John was in line for an immigrant bounty of 250 acres of land. All petitioners were certified as being properly accredited protestants in good standing [meaning at the time Anglicans]. Only six of the petitioners were able to pay for their warrants, John not being one of these. Based on his grants, John Truesdel settled in the Flat Rock between the present county seat of Kershaw Co and Heath Springs.
John was a poor correspondent, not writing to his people back in Kinghill until 1792, twenty years after his departure.
In places, through errors, Molly is given the surname of "Miller". She was a Hollingsworth, sister of half sister of Hena Hollingsworth [see letter of 1773]. The Hollingsworth tradition parallels that of the Truesdale - Cromwellian soldier at Drogheda, moving later to County Down. While Molly must have been a Presbyterian in order to marry John Truesdel, elsewhere in Ireland at this time the Hollingsworths were Quakers. Both John and Molly are buried in unmarked graves above Kershaw toward Heath Springs.
Listed in the DAR Patriot Index-Centennial Edition - Volume # 3, page # 2981. Received 300 acres of land on Hanging Rock Creek on 5 Jun 1786 as "Bounty Land" for service during the Revolutionary War. Sold the land to Hollingsworth on 18 Sep 1817 for $150.oo.
John's wife, Mary, was well along in a pregnancy prior to their departure from Ireland. During the voyage, she delivered twin boys, one of whom was stillborn. The one who lived was named Hollingsworth. The stillborn boy, who was buried at sea, was given the name of "Seaborn". Since that time, the name has been used frequently by not only the Truesdel/dell/dale families, but also by other lines who married into the family as a way of perpetuating the story of the twin who did not make it.
Shows on 1800 Census, Kershaw Dist.: 1/-/-/1/-/1/-/1/-/-//-/-/
Addition to the emigration information above....the "FREE MASON" was part of a 5 ship group that sailed from Ireland to Charlestown, SC in October of 1772, landing there in December 1772.....the land bounty was figured at 100 acres for head of household, and 50 acres each for other taxable persons of the same family....since John could not afford the bounty price, he was left with the option of taking "lesser quality" land further inland, so he chose the land in Camden District.....the 5 ships were under the "leadership" of one Reverend William Martin, bringing about 800 "seceeders" with him to the US....
John Truesdel was shown on the manifest as John Thursdale............
Further information concerning the emigration of this large group of people aboard the five ships of the Rev. Martin; the ships were the "JAMES AND MARY", "LORD DUNLUCE", "PENNSYLVANIA FARMER", "HOPEWELL" and "FREE MASON". These ships did not arrive together, but came over individually over a period of weeks. The average travel time then was 7 - 9 weeks.
LORD DUNLUCE sailed from Larne on Oct. 4, 1772 (this is the largest of the ships and the one Rev. Martin sailed on)
PENNSYLVANIA FARMER sailed from Belfast on Oct. 16, 1772
HOPEWELL sailed from Belfast on Oct. 19, 1772
FREE MASON- 250 tons. Master John Semple: agen, J. W. & G. Glenry. Hill Wilson, Geo Anderson. Wm. Booth, Merchant, Owners. Sailed from Newry on Oct. 27, 1772
485. Mary HOLLINSWORTH was born about 1732 in Annahunshigo, Drumballyroney, Down, Ireland. She died on Mar 15 1815 in Flat Rock, SC. She was buried in Kershaw, SC. [Parents]
486. Samuel USSERY died in 1818 in Hanging Rock, Kershaw, SC. He was buried in 1818 in Hanging Rock Cem, Hanging Rock, Kershaw, SC. He married Rachel Louisa. [Parents]
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids