8. Moses Robeson HUGHES was born on Nov 03 1846 in E Hanover Twp, Dauphin, PA. He died on May 23 1920 in Pine Grove, Schuylkill, PA. He was buried on May 25 1920 in Jacob's Luth., Pine Grove, Schuylkill, PA. He married Adelia Klahr STEIN on Aug 22 1869 in Jacob's Luth., Pine Grove, Schuylkill, PA. [Parents]
Aged 73 years, 6 months, 20 days.
The following was found written on a sheet of paper torn from a ledger book, passed from Madeline Fidler to Bill Fidler and then to Nancy Hughes Yorty: "M.R. HUGHES...died Sunday morning May 23rd at about six minutes of two o'clock. Brothers Charles and Irvin with mother was present at the time of his death and Charles' wife. He departed life with these words - give me a drink of water - and they saying - goodbye, goodbye, goodbye - apparently giving each one of the family goodbyes. He was buried on May the 27th 1920 on Thursday forenoon at St. Jacobs Church. After the funeral the six sons and mother got together and talked things over regards the funeral expenses and went to his library and looked to find any statement that he might have made in writing and found nothing more than what he had given John and Charles when he was in Sanatarium [and serving his tools] but found his bank book and wallet. The book contained a balance of #314.56 cent and a 50 dollar bond. The wallet $77.47 in cash. John being the oldest was requested to secure the money in bank and pay the funeral expenses and what ever is left to turn same over to the widowed mother."
Found the family on the 1880 Federal Census in Pine Grove, Schuylkill County, PA. Source: FHL Film 1255193, NatArchFilm T9-1193, page 317D. So much trouble finding them becaise of the way they had the name on the census:
Robert M. Hughes
John W. son
Idah R. dau
Levi R. son
Charles F. son
9. Adelia Klahr STEIN was born on Apr 27 1852 in Pine Grove, Schuylkill, PA. She died on May 21 1931 in Pine Grove, Schuylkill, PA. She was buried on May 23 1931 in St Jacobs Cem, Pine Grove, Schuylkill, PA. [Parents]
Aged 79 years, zero months, 24 days.
Information on this family gathered from Nancy Hughes Yorty, Madeline Hughes Fidler, Franklin Stewart Hughes, Jacob's Lutheran Church and Cemetery Records, US Census records, St John's Evangelical Church and Cemetery Records, Marriage and Death Records from the Schuylkill County Historical Society and the book "Lament for the Molly McGuire's". Additional information gathered from the book "Johann Jacob Klahr" by Rex O. Matthews and personal family records.
10. William Harvey SHADLE was born on Jan 16 1871 in Spring Glenn, Schuylkill, PA. He died on May 15 1957 in Tremont, Schuylkill, PA. He was buried on May 18 1957 in German Luth Cem, Tremont, Schuylkill, PA. He married Anna Jane "Jennie" ARTZ in 1894 in , Schuylkill, PA. [Parents]
Aged 86 years, 3 months, 29 days.
He spent his working years as a coal miner, working his way up from a miner to "Stable Boss" at the Middle Creek Mines. These mines were shut down during the depression, and he retired at that time.
Shows on 1920 Census in Tremont, living on North Street. In the home at that time were his wife, Jennie, younger daughter, Esther, and elder daughter, Lottie.
As best as anyone can remember, his death was caused by heart problems associated with old age.
11. Anna Jane "Jennie" ARTZ was born on Jun 15 1877 in Hubley, Schuylkill, PA. She died on Mar 20 1944 in Tremont, Schuylkill, PA. She was buried on Mar 23 1944 in German Luth Cem, Tremont, Schuylkill, PA. [Parents]
Aged 67 years, 2 months, 7 days.
She suffered from quite a few years of smaller strokes that eventually took their toll on her. The last 4-5 years of her life, she was totally bedridden.
12. David Ferdinand HILTON was born on Jan 26 1875 in Hickory Head, Lancaster, SC. He died on Mar 08 1950 in , Kershaw, SC. He was buried on Mar 11 1950 in Shamrock Bap Cem, Shamrock, Kershaw, SC. He married Allie Clementine BAKER in Nov 1897 in White Bluff Ch, White Bluff, Lancaster, SC. [Parents]
Death was caused by a combination of heart problems and pneumonia.
Aged 75 years, 1 month, 10 days.
Shows on 1900 Census, Lancaster County, Flat Creek Township. According to information supplied, they had been married 3 years and had only had the one living child.
Shows on 1910 Census, Kershaw County, Buffalo Township, dwelling #350. Occupation listed as "farmer". Indicated that they had been married about 13 years, having had 5 children with 4 still living.
Shows on 1920 Census, Kershaw County, Buffalo Township, dwelling #334. At home then were his wife, and both of his daughers.
Shows on 1930 Census, Buffalo Township, Kershaw County, SC. At home then were his wife and a grand daughter whose name and age are not legible. It appears to be Nancy, but too bad to call.
Charter Member of the Shamrock Baptist Church.
13. Allie Clementine BAKER was born on Jun 02 1876 in White Bluff, Lancaster, SC. She died on Jul 18 1962 in Bethune, Kershaw, SC. She was buried on Jul 21 1962 in Shamrock Bap Cem, Shamrock, Kershaw, SC. [Parents]
Said to have had heart problems for a number of years, but was only ever known to take "digitalis". Stayed active until she suffered a stroke at 86 years of age. This was the very first time she had ever been admitted to a hospital. Did her own housework, etc. until the stroke, which was the ultimate cause of her death.
Aged 86 years, 1 month, 16 days.
Charter Member of the Shamrock Baptist Church.
14. William Edward ELLIOTT was born 1 on Apr 02 1863 in Shepard, Kershaw, SC. He died on Mar 24 1938 in Shepard, Kershaw, SC. He was buried in Mar 1938 in Providence Cem, Cassatt, Kershaw, SC. He married Sarah Rebecca WEST on Feb 12 1890 in , Camden, Kershaw, SC. [Parents]
Death caused by heart problems. Aged 74 years, 11 months, 22 days.
Shows on 1920 Census, Kershaw County, Buffalo Township.
Shows on 1910 Census, Kershaw County, Bethune, dwelling #336. Occupation listed as "farmer". Indicated that they had been married about 20 years, having had 12 children, with 8 still living.
Shows on 1900 Census, Kershaw County, Dekalb Township. According to information supplied at the time, they had been married 10 years, had had 6 children, with 5 still living.
From an article in the "Bethune Observer" dated 9 July 1914; - "I hereby announce myself a candidate for the office of Township Commissioner for Buffalo Township, Kershaw County. I will abide the result of the Democratic primary. W.E. ELLIOTT."
15. Sarah Rebecca WEST was born on Mar 01 1875 in Westville, Kershaw, SC. She died on Feb 22 1959 in Providence, Kershaw, SC. She was buried in Feb 1959 in Providence Cem, Providence, Kershaw, SC. [Parents]
Death caused by a stroke. Aged 83 years, 11 months, 21 days.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids