Generation Four -- The Thomas Benedict Family
he sailed (end of May 1637) with his step-sister, Mary Bridgham, from Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, to America arriving at Boston abt 20 June 1637 and was in Salem, Massachusetts Bay Colony, by August 1637.
Thomas married abt 1639, his step-sister, Mary Bridgham, prob at Salem, Massachusetts Bay Colony; she was bapt. 15 November 1618 at Morningthorpe, Norfolk, England, the daughter
of John and Grace (--?--) Bridgham; Mary's mother, Grace, was buried at Morningthorpe
on 18 February 1628/29. Mary died about 1718 at Norwalk, Connecticut.
After living in several towns (Southold, Huntington, and Jamaica) on Long Island in New York, Thomas and Mary removed, in 1665, with their family to Norwalk, Connecticut, where Thomas was elected Norwalk's first town clerk.
He died at Norwalk, Fairfield County, Connecticut, between the execution of his will on 28 Feb 1689 and the inventory of his estate on 18 Mar 1689.
Ch. (all born at Southold, Long Island, New York; exact order uncertain)
1. Thomas, b. abt 1640; d. Nov 1688, Norwalk; m. Jan 1665, prob at Jamaica, New York, Mary Messenger. She was born 1642 in Jamaica, died 1699 at Norwalk.
2. John, b. abt 1641; d. aft 1727, Norwalk; m. 11 Nov 1670, at Norwalk, Phoebe Gregory. She was born abt 1650 at Norwalk, died 12 May 1737 at Norwalk.
3. Samuel, b. abt 1649; d. abt 1 Apr 1727, Danbury, Connecticut; m. 2nd 7 July 1678, at Norwalk, Rebecca Andrews. d. aft Feb 1723, at Danbury; they were among the earliest settlers of Danbury, Connecticut (1684-5).
4. James, b. 6 Feb 1649/50; d. abt Aug 1717, Danbury; m.1st 10 May 1676, at Norwalk, Sarah Gregory. They were among the original settlers of Danbury (1685).
5. Daniel, b. abt 1652; m. Mary Marvin at Norwalk; d. aft Feb 1723, at Danbury.
6. Mary, b. 4 Dec 1652/3; m. Lt. John Olmstead at Norwalk.
7. Elizabeth, b. abt 1654; m. aft 1676, John Slawson at Norwalk.
8. Sarah, b. abt 165-; m. 19 Dec 1679, at Norwalk, James Beebe. They were among the earliest settlers of Danbury, Connecticut (1684-5).
9. Rebecca, b. abt 165-; m. Dr Samuel Wood, born and educated in England. They were very early settlers of Danbury.
Map of Norfolk (1610)
Map of Suffolk (1610)
|Site Map||Thomas Benedict's Origins -- Updated||Benedict Topics Homepage|
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids