19 May 1743 - 23 Feb 1819
Henry Beeson and his wife,
(18 Nov 1745 d. 1821) moved from Berkeley Co, VA (now WVA) to Red Stone Creek,
Fayette Co., PA about 1768 where he built a grist mill on the stream. A settlement
grew around his land which came to be known, first as Beeson's Mill, then Beesontown.
On July 4, 1776, Henry opened up the land to be sold in lots. In 1796, along with
his brother, Jacob, the two joined their settlements and formed Uniontown, PA.
This link leads to the story of the founding of Uniontown.
A bronze table in the Uniontown Courthouse bears the following inscription:
In memory of Henry Beeson
Born May 19, 1743 Died Feb 23, 1819
Founder of Uniontown and the Donor of the
Central Public Grounds on which this
Court House Stands
Henry and Mary lived in Uniontown until around 1804 when they moved to
Mount Pleasant, OH. They both died there, Henry in 1819 and Mary, soon after, in 1821.
The will of Henry Beeson.
Henry Beeson and Mary Martin had the following children:
- Jesse Beeson b. 5 Dec 1767 d. 22 Mar 1826 m. (1st) Mary Campbell,
dtr of William and Mary Campbell at Redstone Mtg., PA, (2nd) Elizabeth Skiles,
dtr of Jacob and Martha Skiles.
- Jacob Beeson b. 3 Apr 1769 d. 13 Feb 1820 m. (1st) Lydia White,
dtr of Leonard and Mary White, (2nd) Judith Ann Broughton.
- Mary Beeson b. 18 Oct 1770 d. 1786 (HHB says also on 18 Oct).
- William Beeson b. 9 May 1772 d. 8 Nov 1840 m. (1st) Maria Norris,
(2nd) Eva Vedder dtr of General Vedder of Hudson, (3rd) Mrs. Mary Butler
in Stark Co., OH.
- Richard Beeson 29 Dec 1773 d. 9 May 1856 m. Ann Oliphant, dtr. of
Samuel Oliphant and Elizabeth (Holmes) Harris in Columbiana Co., OH.
- Henry Beeson b. 29 Mar 1776 d. 20 Jun 1832 m. Jane Skiles, dtr of
Jacob and Martha Skiles.
- Ann Beeson b. 1 July 1777 d. 10 Nov 1860, lived in Mt. Pleasant, OH,
never married and was a well-known botanist.
- Hannah Beeson b. 22 may 1779 d. 2 Dec 1838 m. Jonah Harris, son
of William Harris and Elizabeth Holmes at Sandy Hill Meeting, PA.
- John Beeson b. 5 Apr 1781 d. 10 Mar 1869 m. (1st) Sarah Schooley, dtr
of Elisha and Rachel (Holmes) Schooley in Columbiana Co., OH (2nd) Martha Whittier,
dtr of Jacob and Mary Whittier, (3rd) Elizabeth Carson.
- Rebecca Beeson b. 4 Jun 1783 d. 5 Sep 1856 m. Isaac Brown, son of
Daniel and Miriam Brown. They had no children and lived in Mt. Pleasant, OH.
- Phebe Beeson b. 20 May 1785 d. 20 Mar 1869 m. John Schooley, son of
Elisha and Rachel (Holmes) Schooley at Middleton, Columbiana Co., OH.
- Edward Beeson d. in infancy
- Charity Beeson b. 3 Aug 1791 d. 14 Feb 1867 m. Jacob Flanner, son
of William and Peninah Flanner at Short Creek Mtg., OH.
Beeson Family Homepage
Send me an e-mail!