Subj: Beddingfield, Bedenfiel, Benefiel Research
Hi gang. Today's info.is a compilation of data from several subscribers to our effort. First is more detail about the young man killed in Vietnam from Jeannie:
George Clyde Beddingfield was from the village of Zirconia where I live. He was the first casulty from Henderson County, NC.
The first Beddingfield in this area was Nathaniel Beddingfield, born 30 January 1792 in Georgia and died 07 April 1866 in Henderson County, NC. He married Manerva Catherine Merritt of Merrittsville, SC. (Henderson County, NC borders Greenville County, SC). This Beddingfield family lived near the NC/SC line and had 19 children. Two of the children died in the year of 1832 and three small children died in the year of 1844.
1. male infant Beddingfield
2. Mahala A. Beddingfield, b. 10 September 1820
3. John C. Beddingfield, b. 20 January 1822, Henderson Co. NC; d. 1 February 1892, Rockwall, Texas
4. George C. Beddingfield, b. 08 April 1823, Henderson Co. NC; d. 20 April 1900, Henderson County, NC
5. Serepta Beddingfield, b. 03 May 1824
6. Ezekial Merritt Beddingfield, b. 14 March 1825, Henderson Co. NC; d. 07 November 1862, Richmond, VA
7. Frances Ann Beddingfield, b.21 March 1826
8. James Henry Beddingfield, b. 20 August 1827, Henderson Co. NC
9. Charles C. Benjamin Beddingfield, 22 November 1829, Henderson Co NC;d. 17 July 1864, POW Camp Douglas, IL
10. Louisa Jane Beddingfield, b. 14 December 1830
11. Flemming Hodge Beddingfield, b. 09 March 1832
12. Sarah Elizabeth Beddingfield, b. 15 April 1833
13. Manerva Catherine Beddingfield, 02 May 1834, Henderson Co.NC; d. 30 July 1899, buried Bartlett Ward Cemetery, Henderson Co.NC
14. William Thomas Jefferson Beddingfield, b.17 August 1835,Henderson Co. NC
15. Clarrisa Margaret Beddingfield, b. 06 February 1837
16. Narcissa Eveline Beddingfield, b. 04 April 1838
17. William Franklin Beddingfield, b. 23 April 1839
18. Rebecca Elmina Beddingfield, b. 27 November 1842
19. Levi David Beddingfield, b. 26 February 1844, Henderson Co. NC; d. 18 July 1928, Henderson Co. NC.
Just one thought to end this bit of information .....Imagine how many diapers Manerva must have washed!!!!!!!!!!
Jeannie Lindsey (wife of Glen Lindsey six generations down)
The next genealogy comes from Kathryn, who has been stuck for a while. Can anyone help her out?
"My Grandmother was a Benefield. Her name was* Carrie Altory Benefield. She married Fred Guy Barnes both from Missouri. They married in California.
Husband: Barnet BENEFIELD (Carrie's Father) b. 20 Dec 1836 Martin Co, Indiana
Wife: Sarah FLETCHER (Carrie's Mother) b. 8 Aug 1848 Shoals, Martin, IN
Minnie A. BENEFIELD b. 14 Sep 1869 West Shoals, IN
Alfred H. BENEFIELD b. 26 Jan 1871, Rich Hill, Bates, MO
A.B. BENEFIELD b. 2 Oct 1872,
James BENEFIELD b. 28 Jul 1874
Alice BENEFIELD b. 1 Apr 1882
**Carrie Altory BENEFIELD b. 18 Jan 1886, Rich Hill, Bates, MO(twin)
Cordie V. BENEFIELD b. 18 Jan 1886 , Rich Hill, Bates, MO (twin)
Bertha V. BENEFIELD b. 20 Oct 1888, Rich Hill, Bates, MO
Grandfather: Robert BENEFIELD b. 1803
Grandmother: Elizabeth BLAIR b. 1807
Mary Ann BENEFIELD, b. 10 May 1829 Martin, IN (m. John ASBELL)
**Barnett BENEFIELD b. 20 Dec 1836
And that my friends is all I know about the BENEFIELDS! I would love to make a connection." Hold on, Kathryn. Maybe your break is coming!
Ann writes this:
"My husband's family are Bedenfield's. They are from Mississippi, Carthage, Leake County. In 1900 the name spelled Beddingfield and was changed in the 1910. The earliest name we have is Sillar or Selah Beddingfield in 1900. She was born about 1850 in Alabama. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
THE EARLIEST I FOUND BEDDINGFIELD'S IN ALABAMA WAS 1820. THEY WERE JAMES AND CHARLES. OTHERS WERE IN LIMESTONE COUNTY. IN THIS YEAR CHARLES' NAME WAS SPELLED BENNINGFIELD. IN 1830 I FOUND THREE: N. BEDINGFIELD IN DALLAS CO.; CHARLES AND GEORGE BENNEFIELD IN CONUCHE COUNTY. IN 1840 I FOUND: CHARLES AND JAMES IN LAUDERDALE COUNTY,WITH A SPELLING OF BEDDINGFIELD AND APPEARS TO BE THE SAME TWO IN LIMESTONE CO. IN 1820; N. BENAFIELD IN DALLAS CO. AND ALSO W.BENAFIELD;JAMES BENEDIELD IN GREEN CO.: CHARLES, GEORGE AND HENRY BENEFFIELD IN CONUCHE CO. IN 1850 THERE WAS AN INCREASE IN BEDDINGFIELD'S IN ALABAMA.
GEORGE BEDDINGFIELD ---CONUCHE CO.
JAMES BEDDINGFIELD-----DALLAS CO.
HENRY BEDDINGFIELD-----CONUCHE CO.
LARY BEDINGFIELD-------DALLAS CO.
ARONALD BENINEFIELD----BARBAR CO.
WILLIAM BENDFIELD------RANDOLF CO.
CALEB------------------ " "
NEEDHAM----------------- " "
WILLIAM------------------ " "
LOUISA AND ROBERT-----RANDOLF CO.
ALL OF THESE WERE WHITE. I FOUND ONE BLACK IN DALLAS COUNTY IN 1880 AND HIS NAME WAS DANIEL WITH A SON NAMED CALLIE. IN 1900 DANIEL WAS FOUND IN LIMESTONE CO. WITH OTHER BLACK BEDDINGFIELD'S. SO, THERE MUST BE SOME CONNECTION BETWEEN THE BEDDINGFIELD'S IN DALLAS COUNTY AND LIMESTONE COUNTY. AT ANY RATE, YOU CAN OBSERVE THE BEDDINGFIELD'S MOVING ACROSS ALABAMA.
I FOUND THE FIRST BEDDINGFIELD IN MISSISSIPPI IN 1840,BUT HIS NAME WAS SPELLED BENNINGFIELD. THERE WAS A BARFIELD STARTING IN 1830. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS ANOTHER SPELLING FOR BEDDINGFIELD OR NOT. THIS IS ALL I HAVE FOR NOW." In the interim, Ann has updated me with the following:
"I found a Manda Edwards with a 9 year old Lewis Beddingfield in her household in 1870 in Conway, Leake County, Mississippi. There is also a Narcilla or Narissa and a William Beddingfield in the household of Peter Whelan from Ireland. Samuel Beddingfield in household of Ulack Watkins and someone named Elizabeth. These people had all come from Alabama and moved into Mississippi.I talked to a lady about 90 years old in Columbus, Ga. She said her husband had come from NC. They settled in Ga., but his brother continued on to Tx. Check it out. I also talked with Adrian Beddingfield in Atlanta. Her family comes from NC and has lived there for many generations.
I will put Part 2 of the Larue Co., KY marriages in the next issue.
Remember, be sure to go to original records to verify facts and share what you find with us! Thressa