This is another name for the Indian Reservation in Shamong township, where the village of Indian Mills stands.
The northwest portion of the township was occupied by a tribe called the Edge-pe-lick at an early date, until about the year 1800 when they moved west. Their burial ground ws about 1/4 mile from where Godfrey Hancock's sawmill stood in 1883, according to historian E.M. Woodward. Even as early as 1883, there was nothing left to mark the site of the burial ground any longer.
The following story regarding the Edgepillock Indians comes to us from Edwin Salter's History of Monmouth and Ocean Counties, published in 1890.
|"The last remnant of the Indians who frequented Old Monmouth, had their principal settlement at a place called Edge Pillock, about three miles from Atsion in Burlington County, from whence they removed to Oneida Lake, New York, 1802. Before their removal, members of this tribe with their families would visit the shore once a year and spend some time fishing, oystering, making baskets, etc. The most noted among the Indians who regularly visited the shore were Charles Moluss, his wife, and wife's sister, who bore the euphonious names of Bash and Suke, among the ancient residents of old Stafford Township, but in Little Egg Harbor, Burlington County, where they also were frequent visitors, Moluss' wife was known as Batsheba and considered as a kind of Indian Queen, on account of the great respect shown to her by her people and by the Quakers of Burlington, because of her possessing more intelligence, and having a more prepossessing personal appearence than the rest of her tribe. At Tuckerton, when her company visited there to put up their tents, Bathsheba was generally invited to make her home with some of the principal inhabitants of the place. At Barnegat, her company generally camped on the place lately owned by Captain Timothy Falkenburgh, where they were on friendly terms with the whites and quite disposed to be hospitable, but Bathsheba, the Indian Queen though she may have been, occasionally prepared Indian delicacies for the table which the whites seldom appreciated. Some thirty years ago Eli Collins, a well remembered aged citizen of Barnegat, told the writer of this, that when he was a young man, one time he had been out from his home all day, and on his way back, stopped at the hut of Moluss. His wife Bash, or Bathseba, was boiling something in a pot which sent forth a most delightful odor to a hungry man, and he was cordially invited to dine. As he had been without anything to eat all day he willingly accepted the invitation; but he soon changed his determination when he found the savory smelling dish was top hat soup.|
Woodward provides a map of the area, presumably from about the time of his book's publication (1883), showing the tracts of land and who owned them on the Brotherton tract.
|8||John Burd, then Thomas Wilkins|
|32||John Groom (?)|
This page was last updated on March 7th, 2002
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids