The Nichols page is finally ready! I am indebted to Jerilyn for most of this
information, and also for her patience in waiting for this page to finally get done!
It is in two sections right now, the first part is smaller and describes the family of Samuel
Nichols and his descendants. The second and larger part describes the family of Abram Nichols.
DESCENDANTS OF SAMUEL NICHOLS
Samuel Nichols (b. about 1837) married Nancy Ford (she lived from about 1839 to 1908.) They were the
- Howard Alonzo Nichols, although he went by Alonzo all his life. Alonzo died in
June of 1948, at the home of his daughter, Ada Cappucio, in
Green Bank, New Jersey. Ada lived in the building that was formerly the old schoolhouse. Alonzo
had suffered three strokes within a years time prior to his death.
Alonzo married Adelia Ford, the daughter of Samuel Quaily Ford and Hannah Ford. Adelia died in April, 1906
in Burlington County and is buried in the cemetery at
Green Bank. His name appeared in a poll book for 1894 from
Tyler Town, but was absent from the 1892 poll book.
- Frank Nichols (1858-1939). He was married to Cora Belle Ford (1882-1954).
She was born in Green Bank and died in Woodbury, Gloucester Co.; they were married about 1896.
- George Nichols, b. abt 1852
- John W. Nichols. His name appears on the 1892 and 1894 Poll Books for
Tyler Town; thanks are due to fellow researcher Jerilyn
for identifying this man from an interview with her uncle, who grew up in Washington
Township. I have been told he originally hailed from
- Elsworth Nichols. He was born in 1866, and also voted in Tyler Town in 1892 like his
brother, John. According to a resident of the area, Neither John or Elsworth ever married.
- Georgianna Nichols, b. abt 1869. She married William Patten, whose name appears on the poll books for
Tyler Town in 1892.
- William Nichols, b. abt 1874. He married a woman named Abbey.
- Isaac E. Nichols, b. abt 1866
- Mary A. Nichols (1858-1927). She married Samuel Coleman (1855-1917).
They are buried in the Methodist Cemetery in Williamstown, Gloucester Co., NJ.
They were the parents of :
- Howard Coleman (1875-1953)
- Harry Coleman (1876- )
- Edward Coleman (1878- )
- Rebecca Coleman (she was under the age of 5 as of the 1885 census)
- Richard Coleman (he fell into the 5-20 yr age bracket on the 1885 census)
- William Coleman (he fell into the under 5 category in 1885)
- Mary Jane Coleman (1885-1944). She married William J. Green (1883-1957) and lived in Williamstown, NJ.
These are the children of Alonzo and Adelia:
- Samuel Nichols, born 24 Jul 1898, died 29 July 1968 in Hammonton. He is buried in
His wife was Hilda Martin.
- Gertrude Nichols, born 14 Jan 1902 in Green Bank.
She married Albert Edward Gainsford, jr. in Elkton, MD in Nov 1919. Gertrude died
in Cherry Hill, New Jersey of cancer on 1 Aug 1995.
Albert was born in Tonbridge Wells, England on 20 Nov 1900 and died 27 Aug 1990 in National Park, NJ.
He was the son of Albert Edward Gainsford and Eliza Jane Sourle (this was her name from a prior
marriage, maiden name is uncertain.) Albert, jr. came from England with his parents and two
sisters as an infant. He worked at McAndrews and Forbes in Camden, NJ and was the first President and
a charter member of the Erial Volunteer Fire Co. and a member of the NJ Fire Police Association.
His father was a naturalized citizen and is buried in Bridgeton, NJ with his wife, Eliza Jane, whom
Their children of Gertrude and Albert, jr. were:
- Joseph Gainsford (1920-1921). He is buried in Green Bank cemetery.
- Gerald Merlyn Gainsford, born 6 Sep 1923. She married Evelyn Virginia Beehler (30 oct 1927-20 Oct 1998),
the daughter of Nelson Jay and Anna Alma (Herron) Beehler, on 4 Apr 1944 in Bel Air, MD (they divorced in 1963).
Their children were:
Gerald served in the US Army during the Second World War. He also worked as a baker's helper
at an A & P store, and was by religion a Methodist. His wife, Evelyn, operated a
day care center for 40 years.
Gerald married another woman in 1963 by name of Anita Sweet.
- Jerilyn Gainsford, born 16 Dec 1944 in Audubon, NJ.
- Ronald James Gainsford, born 26 Aug 1948 in Philadelphia, PA
- Howard William Gainsford, born 29 Aug 1926. He married Elizabeth Palmer in
the summer of 1956 in Hammonton, NJ, whom he subsequently divorced.
- Edward Albert Gainsford, born 20 Oct 1929. He married Evleyn V. Gainsoford on 23 Jan 1965 in Lake Pine, NJ
- Samuel Walter Gainsford, born 29 Dec 1936. He married Marian (Sandy) Blevins.
- Gertrude Adelia Gainsford, born 21 Dec 1939. She married Harry Candera,
whom she subsequently divorced.
- Andrea Victoria Gainsford (adopted)
- Ada Nichols, born ca. 1905. She married Paul Cappucio on 15 Dec, 1924 in Hammonton, New Jersey. Ada
died on 25 June 1970 of heart trouble; she is buried in the cemetery at
The children of Frank Nichols and Cora Belle Ford were:
Descendants of Abram Nichols
- Emma Rose Nichols, born 3 Aug 1897 and died sometime prior to 1974. She was married
to Charles Prince and they were the parents of:
- Frank Prince
- Dorothy Prince
- Hannah Matilda Nichols, born 19 Aug 1899 in Green Bank, NJ.
Shed died on 7 Feb 1974 at the Burlington County Hospital.
- Grace May Nichols, born 26 Oct 1901, died Nov 1978 in Green Bank.
- Frances M. Nichols, born 7 May 1904 in Green Bank.
He died 29 June 1970 in Hammonton, Atlantic County, NJ.
- Charles Delong Nichols, born 16 may 1907 in Green Bank,
and died 2 Feb 1961 in Mount Holly, NJ. He married Eleanor Ford and was the father of :
- Charles Nichols, b. 6 Apr 1936 and died 28 Dec 1980
- Jesse Nichols, b. 10 May 1937 died 1 Feb 1990.
Abram Nichols was born about 1807 somewhere in New Jersey. He ran a hotel somewhere in Washington
Township. Abram was married twice; the first time to Mary Ann Crowley,on 5 Jan 1830 in
Green Bank, the second time to
Mary Ann Crowley was the daughter of Samuel Crowley and Tabitha Ford. She died on 18 April 1857,
in Green Bank, where she is buried. His second wife, Elizabeth Crowley was also the daughter of
Samuel and Tabitha Crowley.
Abram's children by his first wife (Mary Ann) were:
- Ann Katherine Nichols, b. 1832 in
Green Bank. She married Benjamin White, about 1852. They were the parents of:
- Mary Ann White, born 18 Mar 1854 in Green Bank and died 24 Sep 1855 in that
- Sarah A. Nichols, b. abt 1833 in Green Bank. She married abt 1850 a glass blower by
name of David Cline (1828-??). They had the following children:
- Sarah C. Cline, b. abt 1849
- Rachel A. Cline, b. abt 1852
- Abram N. Cline, b. abt 1854
- Anna L. Cline, b. ca 1857
- Mary M. Cline, born Jan 1860
- Samuel C. Nichols, b. 28 Mar 28 Mar 1835 in Green Bank. He was christened at St. Mary's
Catholic Church (no longer standing) in Pleasant Mills, on 11 Oct 1835. He married Cordelia
M. Weeks,(1834-??) daughter of James Weeks and
Phoebe Wilson. By occupation he was a sailor. His godparents were listed as Herman Myrose
and Anna Cliff, although I have no idea who they are. Samuel and Cordelia had the following
- Horace Nichols, b. abt 1859
- Mary Elizabeth Nichols, b. 10 Nov 1861 in Mullica Township, Atlantic Co. She married
Frank Briggs (16 Mar 1859 - 8 Oct 1835). Mary died on 14 Aug 1952 in Collingdale, PA.
They raised the daughter of a neighbor whose wife had died about the same time as their
son John. Her name was Helen Gannon and she was known to the family as Aunt Helen.
The children of Mary and Frank Briggs were:
- Samuel Nichols Briggs, who married Emma Hermann
- Frank Briggs, b. 14 Dec 1886, Philadelphia. He married Jeannette Russel.
- John Briggs, who died at the age of one or two.
- Laura Nichols, who married John Walls.
- Lydia Nichols
- Lewis Nichols, who married Mary Devault and had:
- Ray Nichols, who married Frances Gerew. Ray died 5 Nov 1941.
- Della Nichols, who married Mr. Grawe
- Lewis D. Nichols, who married Mary
Weeks (21 Aug 1900 - ??) abt 1920. Mary was the daughter of
Charles Ridgeway Weeks and Martha Smith. Lewis and Mary were the parents
of Doris Nichols, who married Harold Van Arsdale.
- Anna Nichols, who married Earl Foster.
- Gula Nichols, who married a Mr. Abernathy and had:
- Florence Abernathy
- Laura Abernathy
- Lena Abernathy
- Isadora Nichols, who married Edward Mulligan and had:
- Frank Mulligan
- Dorothy Mulligan
- Edward Mulligan
- Harry Mulligan
- Laura M. Nichols, b. 8 Jul 1860 in Green Bank. She died on 22 Aug 1863, also in
Green Bank, where she is buried. Oddly, there appears also a headstone in the cemetery
for an Abraham Nichols with the same birth and death dates but I don't know who he is.
- Israel Nichols, b. 4 Jan 1870 in Green Bank.
- Ray R. Nichols, born 12 Jul 1876 in Green Bank.
- Israel Nichols, born 1838 in Green Bank. He married on 10 Jul 1875 Armenia Lake
(15 Aug 1848 - 8 May 1883), daughter of James Leeds and Abigail Webb. Israel died on 22 Feb
1878 at sea.
They were the parents of Molly Nichols, born 25 May 1876, died 30 Aug 1877.
- John S. Nichols, b. 25 Jan 1840 in
Green Bank. He died on 29 Aug 1841, in Green Bank, where he is buried. There is an
inscription on his headstone which reads: "Sleep on sweet babe, and take thy rest,
God called thee home, He thought it best.".
- John Nichols, b. abt 1841. He married, in 1855 (? this date seems a bit suspicious,
as he would only be 14 years old!) Sue Carey.
- Alonzo Nichols, born abt 1844 in New Jersey. He married Nellie Hall.
- Mary Melissa Nichols, born 11 Dec 1847 in
Green Bank, and died on 21 Jun 1857 in that same town. On the
1860 Census, a Mary
Nichols appears, 12 years old, making her born about 1848, living in the home of
- Charles Nichols, born abt 1850 in Green Bank. He married Elsie Hall Shriver abt 1867.
Elsie had a son from a prior marriage. Charles was a doctor by occuupation.
- Jane Nichols, b. abt 1853.
This page was last updated on Oct 29th, 2007