Mellisa's family came from Pike County, AL
Entry from her daughter, Mary Ann Margaret Green's, Bible
I've been told these are the ancestors of Melissa Sellers. I don't have documentation except for her parents. There is documentation for some of these ancestors, but I haven't researched it myself. This is one of those fortunate genealogy lines which came to me fully developed. There are many Sellers family researchers who are very helpful...Tom <Hesed1@aol.com> has been particularly so. I was thrilled to get this information so easily because I've had to struggle so hard (some times without success) with other lines of my family.
Generation No. 1
1. Melissa Sellers, born 1838 in AL. She was the daughter of 2. Samuel Joseph Sellers and 3. Rebecca Fowler. She married (1) James A. Green. He was born 1830 in GA, and died 1903 in Lynn, Winston Co., AL. [I have no idea who his parents were.]
Generation No. 2
2. Samuel Joseph Sellers, born 1809 in Brunswick, NC; died 1887 in Walker Co., AL. He was the son of 4. Samuel Sellers and 5. Sarah Stanaland. He married 3. Rebecca Fowler.
3. Rebecca Fowler, born 1820 in AL; died 1899 in AL. She was the daughter of 6. John W. Fowler and 7. Elizabeth ?.
Generation No. 3
4. Samuel Sellers, born April 17, 1788 in North Carolina1; died July 11, 1857 in Pike County, Alabama. He was the son of 8. Elisha Sellers and 9. Mary Willets. He married 5. Sarah Stanaland July 31, 1806 in Brunswick County, North Carolina.
5. Sarah Stanaland, born August 04, 1786 in Brunswick County, North Carolina; died July 07, 1867 in Pike County, Alabama. She was the daughter of 10. Hugh Stanaland and 11. Sarah Ogden.
6. John W. Fowler He was the son of 12. John Fowler and 13. Elizabeth Rackley. He married 7. Elizabeth ?.
7. Elizabeth ?
Generation No. 4
8. Elisha Sellers, born 17351; died 1801. He was the son of 16. Benjamin Sellers and 17. ? ?. He married 9. Mary Willets Abt. 1781 in Brunswick, NC.
9. Mary Willets, born Abt. 1760 in Brunswick, NC1; died 1. She was the daughter of 18. Samuel Willets and 19. Ann Leonard.
Child of Elisha Sellers and Mary Willets is:
4 i. Samuel Sellers, born April 17, 1788 in North Carolina; died July 11, 1857 in Pike County, Alabama; married Sarah Stanaland July 31, 1806 in Brunswick County, North Carolina.
10. Hugh Stanaland1, born Abt. 1750 in Craven County, North Carolina1; died Bef. February 28, 1835 in Brunswick, NC1. He married 11. Sarah Ogden 1806 in Brunswick, NC1.
11. Sarah Ogden
Child of Hugh Stanaland and Sarah Ogden is:
5 i. Sarah Stanaland, born August 04, 1786 in Brunswick County, North Carolina; died July 07, 1867 in Pike County, Alabama; married Samuel Sellers July 31, 1806 in Brunswick County, North Carolina.
12. John Fowler He married 13. Elizabeth Rackley 1776 in Sampson Co., NC.
13. Elizabeth Rackley, born 1755 in Bute Co., NC.
Child of John Fowler and Elizabeth Rackley is:
6 i. John W. Fowler, married Elizabeth ?
Below is an off site link which is an excellent resource for any one interested in the Sellers family.
Excerpt from Tom's email:
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999
...As you already know from your census research, your Melissa Sellers was a daughter of Samuel Joseph Sellers and his wife Rebecca Fowler. What you apparently suspect but don't know for sure is that Samuel J. is the son of Samuel Sellers (1788-1857) and Sarah Stanaland (1786-1867), originally of Brunswick Co., NC, and by 1835, pioneers of what is today Bullock Co., AL (in 1850, still part of Pike Co.).
Samuel J.'s parentage, besides being suggested by the close proximity in the 1850 census, is proven by the elder Samuel's 1857 Pike Co. will (I have a copy), subsequent estate records, and by the Samuel Sellers Bible record, of which I have a transcript. The elder Samuel's parentage is demonstrated by the same Bible record, Elisha Sellers' 1813 estate settlement, and by every published work on the subject! Elisha, then, is a son of Benjamin...who left a will in Edgecombe Co. NC in 1761. Finally, deeds show that Benjamin was a son of a Matthew Sellers who died about 1740...
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids