MICHAEL DODD FAMILY
Generation No. 1
1. Michael Dodd (b. 1779; GA) md. (1) Anna ? (2) ? (3) Sally Price in 1829
in Saline Co., AR
He was enumerated in the 1830 census of Wayne Co., MO. [8 males, 4 females]
He was listed in the 1840 census of Saline Co., AR. [6 males, 5 females]
The 1850 census of Saline lists Michael and Sally with two children, Mary (18; MO) and Michael (10; AR) Mary was Michael's step-daughter, Mary Price. I don't know what Sally's maiden name was.
Theres a huge gap between James Solomon and Elijah. I have no idea who the missing children were or where they went. Some of his children probably remained in IL or MO.
Excerpts from Carl Lynch's letter, dated 12-3-1972:
"We know that when Michael Dodd was a young man he moved to Missouri and then to Saline Co., Arkansas. Several of his children followed him to Arkansas, but we are not sure that all of them did. I am not sure whether Michael Dodd's first wife died before or after he arrived in Arkansas. She was evidently still living when the 1830 census was taken in Wayne County, Missouri. He had ten children living at home then and Jesse was married. From this he had at least eleven children. We cannot account for all of them, but the courthouse in Wayne County, Missouri, burned in 1854 and all records were lost. I believe that Michael had relatives in Georgia, and that some of them moved to Alabama and later to Arkansas.
You mentioned David O. Dodd...Yes, I think that it is quite probable that the David Dodd listed on the 1850 Census for Saline County was a brother to Michael Dodd, Sr."
Excerpts from Mrs. Hatchett's letter, dated 11-29-1972:
"David O. Dodd and my grandfather, Charles W. Dodd, were first cousins. From a clipping taken from Chronicles of Ark--The Years of the Civil War, I find this: David Owen Dodd's father was Andrew Marion Dodd. David O. was born in Lavaca County, TX, 1846. His father, an Arkansan, came to L. R. [?] before the outbreak of the War and later settled in Saline Co."
Mrs. Hatchett sent the following Bible records:
David Dodd (d. 1860) md. Sallie Sanders 10-31-1811 in Franklin City, GA [Should
this be Franklin Co.?]
Their son: David Washington Dodd (b. 5-13-1839/d. 8-18-1879) md. Susan Anthony Kimber.
David W. and Susan (Kimber) Barton children:
1. Charlie Washington Dodd (b. 1862) md. Ella Corinne Langford in Dardanelle, AR 1882.
2. Edward K. Dodd (b. 1863)
3. Cora E. Dodd (1867)
4. May B. Dodd(b. 1868)
5. Emma Dodd (b. 1870)
6. Annie E. Dodd (b. 1873)
7. Julia N. Dodd (b. 1875)
End of Bible records.
Is David O. Dodd and his father, Andrew Marion Dodd, related in some way to Michael Dodd, Sr.???
Children of MICHAEL DODD are:
2. i. JESSE2 DODD, b. 1806.
3. ii. WILLIAM DODD, b. 1808, GA?.
4. iii. JAMES SOLOMON DODD, b. 1809; d. Abt. 1886, AR/bd. Cunningham Cem., Royal, AR.
5. iv. ELIJAH DODD, b. 1829, MO.
v. MARY PRICE, b. 1832; Stepchild; m. JOHN ENGLISH.
6. vi. MICHAEL DODD, JR., b. 1841, Yell Co., AR; d. 1894.
Generation No. 2
2. JESSE2 DODD (MICHAEL1) was born 1806.
Jesse Dodd md. twice. His second wife was Jane Husk [Saline Co. Marriage Book A, p. 83]
Children of JESSE DODD are:
i. ELIZABETH3 DODD, b. 1932.
ii. CATHERINE DODD, b. 1839.
iii. NANCY DODD, b. 1844.
3. WILLIAM2 DODD (MICHAEL1) was born 1808 in GA?. He married RUTH ?.
Children of WILLIAM DODD and RUTH ? are:
i. MICHAEL W.3 DODD, b. 1835, MO; m. LUCINDA COLLIER.
7. ii. SARAH ANNE "SALLY" DODD, b. 1841, MO.
8. iii. RUTH CAROLINE DODD, b. Abt. 1847, MO.
9. iv. MARY MARTHA DODD, b. 1849, MO.
10. v. WILLIAM L. DODD, b. 1854, AR.
vi. EMILY DODD, b. 1856, AR.
11. vii. FRANCIS "UNCLE FRANCE" DODD, d. Owensville, AR?.
4. JAMES SOLOMON2 DODD (MICHAEL1) was born 1809, and died Abt. 1886 in AR/bd.
Cunningham Cem., Royal, AR. James Solomon md. twice. His second wife
was Maudie Kindreck. James Solomon had 15 children, but I don't know which
children went with which wife. Maudie was the mother of James Solomon, Jr.,
but other than that, I don't know. [Letter from Pearl Dodd Merriott]
I spoke with a descendant, Russ Dodd, in the early 1970's. He said Solomon lived at Beartown which is about 12 miles nw of Owensville, AR.
Children of JAMES SOLOMON DODD are:
i. WILLIAM ELIJAH3 DODD, m. NELLIE COCKRELL.
ii. LEVI FRANKLIN DODD, m. ANNIE COCKRELL.
iii. ARILLA "RILLA" DODD, m. JACK MONK.
iv. MARION DODD.
v. JAMES SOLOMON DODD, JR., m. ALMA MCDONOUGH.
5. ELIJAH2 DODD (MICHAEL1) was born 1829 in MO. He married (1) LOTTA JAMES. He married (2) MARY (WHITE?) HEFLEY. Elijah Dodd was md. three times. I don't know how many children he had. The following dates belong either to Elijah or his first wife, Lotta James: 8-14-1830/6-23-1908.
Children of ELIJAH DODD and LOTTA JAMES are:
12. i. JAMES3 DODD.
13. ii. ANDREW ALLEN "DREW" DODD.
14. iii. HENRY DODD.
15. iv. ISSAC MONROE "IKE" DODD, b. 1865, AR; d. 1936.
v. MARY DODD.
vi. SARAH EMILY ISABELL "BELL" DODD, b. 1874.
6. MICHAEL2 DODD, JR. (MICHAEL1) was born 1841 in Yell Co., AR, and died 1894. He married NANCY ELIZABETH ENGLISH 1865.
Children of MICHAEL DODD and NANCY ENGLISH are:
i. MARION3 DODD. Died young. Never md.
16. ii. EMILY DODD, b. 1870.
17. iii. THEODOSHIA "DOSHIA" DODD, b. 1867, Yell Co., AR; d. 1923, AR/bd. Antioch Cem., Saline Co., AR.
18. iv. SOPHRINIA DODD, b. Yell Co., AR.
19. v. LUCINDA "CINDY" DODD.
20. vi. ELMER PEMBERTON DODD, b. 1877, Yell Co., AR; d. 1958, Hot Springs, AR.
Generation No. 3
8. RUTH CAROLINE3 DODD (WILLIAM2, MICHAEL1) was born Abt. 1847 in MO. She married JAMES MELTON VAUGHN, son of REUBEN VAUGHN.
After Ruth's death, James M. Vaughn md. Ruth's sister, Mary.
Children of RUTH DODD and JAMES VAUGHN are:
i. WILLIAM WILEY4 VAUGHN, b. 1867.
ii. SAMANTHA JANE VAUGHN, b. 1869; m. CHARLES "CHEEB" WARD.
iii. JAMES THOMAS VAUGHN, b. 1873.
iv. JOHN VAUGHN, b. 1875.
v. BENJAMIN T. VAUGHN, b. 1878.
vi. ALICE VAUGHN, b. 1879.
vii. JOSEPH ELMER VAUGHN, b. 1880.
viii. MARTHA EVELYN VAUGHN, b. 1883.
9. MARY MARTHA3 DODD (WILLIAM2, MICHAEL1) was born 1849 in MO. She married
JAMES MELTON VAUGHN.
Children of MARY DODD and JAMES VAUGHN are:
i. ARENA4 VAUGHN.
ii. LOUIS VAUGHN.
iii. MAC VAUGHN.
iv. ARTHUR VAUGHN.
v. FRANK VAUGHN.
From: Carole CARMAY@aol.com
This is all I have on James Dodd, I don't know what happened to him or Anna after 1850. Maybe I have the wrong James Dodd? However, they did live in the same area even though they were enumerated in Hot Spring Co. AR in 1850 and I assumed he was also a son of Michael.
1. JAMES2 DODD (MICHAEL1)1 was born Abt. 1823 in Wayne Co. MO. He married ANNA JAMES July 24, 1842 in Saline Co. AR2, daughter of REV. JAMES and MASSA TERRY.
Children of JAMES DODD and ANNA JAMES are:
i. WILLIAM3 DODD, b. Abt. 1842, AR.
ii. GEORGE DODD, b. Abt. 1844, AR.
iii. SARAH DODD, b. Abt. 1848, AR.
1. 1850 Hot Spring Co. AR census for James Dodd, 528.555,
Dodd, James - age 27 mw Farmer MO
Anna - age 23 fw MO
Willliam - age 8 mw AR
George - age 6 mw AR
Sarah - age 2 - fw AR.
2. Saline Co. AR Marriage Book A, Marriage Record for James Dodd and Anna James, pg 42, Dodd, James to Anna James, July 24, 1842, by S. T. Collier, JP.
I'm sure there is no way for us to prove it, but I would bet that your sources were correct on Elijah's wife being a James.
You mentioned Laban James. We may be kin after all. If the Jesse in Grainger Co. TN was my Jesse and I believe he probably was, then Laban could be his brother. This is what I've rounded up on Laban.
b 1769 NC md Rebecca McBride in Grainger Co. TN in 1800.
1808 - Grainger Co. Tax List in Capt. John Smith's Co.
1820 - Limestone Co. AL - 6 sons & 2 daughters
1823 - 10-4-1823 - sold land to Solomon Buford on Kelly Creek, Lincoln Co. TN
1860 - Winston Co. AL #116, age 91
It may be that the birth date I have for James Solomon Dodd may be incorrect. This needs to be checked out.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids