The engraver of the following picture of Joynsons Paper Mill would probably have been on Church Hill, near Church Hill Wood when he made it.
Best viewed using MS Internet Explorer
click picture to enlarge
This wood engraving of William Joynson & Son's mill at St. Mary Cray, Kent was first published in The Illustrated London News of 18 July 1891. At that time the mill was producing high-quality writing papers. The high-glazed papers were watermarked JOYNSON SUPERFINE and the semi-rough were watermarked with a WJ & S monogram above the words ST MARY CRAY KENT.
To the right of the picture you can see the spire of St Mary's Church.
William Jacob BARROWS and his sons William and Isaac and daughters Isabella and Mary worked here during seven years, which spanned at least 1848, when Emma was born, to 1851, when the census was taken.
Sample of paper produced by the mill in about 1900
Photos of Joynsons Paper Mill site today (2000)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids