JULIUS MILLER RICHARDSON
JULIUS MILLER RICHARDSON for the past seventeen years has practiced law in New Philadelphia, and is a native of Tuscarawas County, where his character and ability have made him prominent not only in his present profession but also as an educator, public speaker and citizen.
Mr. Richardson was born on a farm three miles northeast of Shanesville, Tuscarawas County, November 4, 1862, son of Ambrose George and Catherine (Correll) Richardson. The Corrells came from Pennsylvania Dutch stock. His parental grandparents, George and Barbara (Walter) Richardson, came to Tuscarawas County in 1812. The great-grandparents, George and Mary (Morehead) Richardson also came to Ohio about the same time. George Richardson was born in Loudoun County, Virginia, and his wife in Ireland. There is a well authenticated tradition that he was a soldier in the American Revolution, one proof of which is that he was given a land grant in Ohio, his patent being signed by President Madison. An acquaitance told members of the family after his death that he had frequently heard him say that he was a Colonial soldier in the struggle for American Independence. The Richardsons are of English origin, their first place of settlement in Colonial times being in the vicinity of Baltimore, Maryland, and from there they moved to Loudoun County, Virginia, and then to Ohio. Ambrose George Richardson was a farmer and subsequently a weaver, was a democrat, and he and his wife were Presbyterians. His father, George Richardson, had been a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, and many of his descendants have held to the same faith.
Julius Miller Richardson was the second in a family of seven children. He grew up on a farm under the unfavorable conditions that followed the Civil war, and had to become self reliant and begin earning his own living at an early age. He attended the public schools in the county until he was sixteen, later the village schools at Shanesville, Ohio, and when he was sixteen was given his teacher's license. He began teaching at the age of eighteen and for nine consecutive years spent the winter seasons teaching and the summer seasons farming. In 1894, upon examination, he was granted a high school life certificate to teach in Ohio. Mr. Richardson for ten years had charge of the Mineral City schools, for one year was principal of a school in Canton, resigning and for seven years serving as superintendent of the McConnellsville schools. While teaching he studied law and his preceptor for several years was Charles H. Fouts of McConnellsville. Upon examination before the state board he was licensed to practice law Jun 18, 1907. Mr. Richardson for many years did a great deal of work as a lecturer during that period of his life. For some time he was listed as a lecturer by the Grant Lyceum Bureau, and appeared before Chautauqua and other audiences, his best know subjects being Shakespeare and Robert Burns.
Since 1907 Mr. Richardson has applied his time and energies to the practice of law at New Philadelphia, and has attained success in this profession, as in teaching, through reliance upon his individual talent and great industry. He is a staunch republican, is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and Loyal Order of Moose.
Mr. Richardson married, June 8, 1884, Miss Lena Brick, a native of Tuscarawas County. Their four children are: Elizabeth, now Mrs. F.O. Deibel; Milton Clarence, who married Sarah Thompson; Gertrude, now Mrs. Dewey Beaty; and Katherine, wife of Howe Tebeau.
From History of Ohio, 1925
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids