THE GREEN PAGE
is considered by some genealogists to be either the father or uncle of
TIMOTHY GREEN. Roger- Green enrolled "Sizar" (meaning he enrolled as a
reduced fees) at St. Catherine's, Cambridge, Easter of 1631. He
B.A. 1634--35 and his M.A. 1638, ordained a priest 9 March 1638-39. He
is next noted in Nansemond County, Virginia ministering to the
inhabitants there. He is credited with founding North Carolina's first
settlement in July 1653 on the bank of the Roanoke River, and on the
south side of the Chowan and tributary streams. The grant reads as
follows: "Upon the petition of Roger Green, Clerk
(title applied only to ministers of the Church of England), on behalf
himself and the Inhabitants of Nansemond River, it is ordered by the
present Grand Assembly, that 10,000 acres of land be granted unto 100
such persons who shall first seat (settle) on the Moratuck or Roanoke
Rivers and the branches thereof---provided that such seaters settle
advantageously for security...... that there be granted the said Roger
Green the rights of 1,000 acres of land.
(Hening I, p.380)
Reverend Roger Green returned to England where on 2 September 1661, he
presented a pamphlet to the Lord and Bishop of London, entitled
"Virginia's Cure", in order to show the unhappy state of the Church in
Virginia and the remedy of it.
He was also one who examined into the competency of all ministers of
the colony. He officiated at Jamestown, and was still living in 1671.
(Colonial Church in Virginia, p.246)
Abt 1673, Anne Farneffold, Northumberland Co., VA
Anne was the daughter of Minister John Farneffold of Fairfield Parish
in Northumberland County, Virginia, circa 1673. The births of their
children are registered in the Parish of St. Stephen's Church in
b. 30 May 1674
m. ca 1697 Hannah Kent Smithwick
ch: Thomas, Elizabeth, John, Farnifold, James, Jane
d. 1714 Killed by Tuscarora Indians
Titus a Planter, lived on plantation next to Farnefold in October 1711,
Co., NC was assigned a patent for 400 acres in Westmoreland County,
March 1662, due by new right for transporting 8 persons. (This land was
granted to Richard Codsford in 1654 and then to Henry Patton in 1657.
If they did not clear part of the acreage as required in a certain
amount of time, the land was granted to someone else.)
The land was an the south side of the Petomeck (Potomic) River known by
name Sandy or Raggett Point.
(Cavaliers and Pioneers, 1623-66, Patent Book 4, p.365)
On 8 October 1668, 'Tymothy Green's land and Machotic path are mentioned as
adjoining 600 acres in Northumberland County patented to Phillip Evans and Hugh Harris.
(Cavaliers & Pioneers, Vol.II, p.51)
| HOME |
This Page Last Updated: Sunday, 25-Mar-2012 14:21:18 MDT