Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

MEEANEE
A Huge collection of transciptions from Hawkes Bay , Poverty Bay Newspaper
Painstakingly transcribbed by Elaine, and her wonderful team
Your Time has been appreciated and I am delighted to be allowed to put them on my site

The information on these pages is for genealogy research only. It may be linked to but not copied in any form without the owners permission
Meeanee Store Owners and Postmaster/Mistresses from 1862
1862 Richard D.Maney
1867 James Neagle
1867 George Fannin
1868 Hector Peacock
1873 John Peacock Speedy
1880 George Cornish
1881 John Simmons
1881 Arthur Mabbett
1882 James & Margaret Peacock
1887 James & Margaret Peacock
1916 Claude Oliver
1952 Peter 7 Audrey Baker
1965 Barrie & Judy Smyth
1970 William J R Sutcliffe
1971 Mrs Leola E Lister
1980 Phillip & Carol Young
1983 Richard & Flora Baldwin
1992 Joscelyn and Ian Murray
1994 Rex & Val Chapman
The New Zealand Post Office was converted to NZ Post in 1982 now called
Post Centre. An Uninterrupted record of 140 years plus.

PresbyterianChurch as early as 1858. During travels Rev.David Bruce came to Napier to investigate the need of an appointment of a Minister to Hawkes' Bay.Meeting held on 9 June 1858 In Munn's Royal Hotel.The chairman was Mr Alexander, a settler at Ahuriri.The church to be built was named St.Paul's.
Rev.Peter Barclay from Scotland,the first Presbyterian Minister to H.B. arrived at Onepoto from the White Swan on 6 June 1859.
Rev.John McMichael arrived from Ireland in 1865 and took up the work as Minister at Meeanee.Dedication and opening held Sept.30.1866 .The floods of 1867 caused him to resign in August 1868.He resigned his charge at Meeanee,moving to Victoria Australia, where he died 5 Feb.1877
Just 2 weeks later Oct 15 1866 the Battle of Omarunui took place

List of Presbyterian Parish Ministers, to serve at Meeanee. -from 1865-1992
1865-1868 Rev John McMichael
1870-1871 Rev A Shepherd
1871 P J Riddle
1876-1888 Stewart,D Rodger & Mr Benning
1888-1889 J M Smith
1889-1893 S Douglas
1893-1895 R McCully
1895-1904 C Connor
1904-1908 J W Hayward

1961 Duncan Jamieson.His inaugural meeting was a memorable one-he told a story of the male lion in Africa who had killed a bull and so full of his own importance, that he let out a great roar of triumph.A hunter heard the roar and shot him. The moral "when you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut".
Rev S Butler from U S A followed, before Rachel Paulin took over in Jan 1992.


Presbyterian Settlers recorded at Meeanee 1866/67
Alley Henry Taipo,Meeanee
Badley Paul Butcher,Meeanee
Baty John Dairyman,Meeanee
Beattie John Meeanee
Bousefield O L W Meeanee River
Brandon S G Meeanee South Block
Breingan Robert Tutaekuri River
Brown & Skillicorn Fellmongers Meeanee
Brown Agnew Meeanee South Block
Brown Cartwright Meeanee south block
Burton William Market gardener Meeanee
Cooper George Sisson Meeanee South Block
Davis Edward Meeanee River
Dolbel Philip Meeanee South Block
Elbourn William Meeanee Flat
Francon John Mission Meeanee flat
Frame William H Purimu Creek,Meeanee flat
Gebbie Thomas Meeanee Flat
Gill Joseph Tutaekuri
Hallassey Michael Meeanee flat
Hallett James Tutaekuri River,near bridge
Hammond John Meeanee flat
Harland Mrs Sunnyside,Meeanee flat
Hawkins J ames Tutaekuri river
Hill Matthew Meeanee south block
Hill William Saddler,Meeanee
Howard Henry Meeanee flat
Jeffares Thomas Meeanee south block
Knox Hugh Meeanee flat
Lever John R Baker & confectioner,township
Lorigan Bartholomew Meeanee Flat
Miller & Lindsay Meeanee South block
McHardy Alexander Meeanee south block
Oliver George Andrew Meeanee flat
Orr & Todd Carpenters township
Peacock Hector&David Merchants
Powdrell Thomas Tutaekuri river
Parson S Meeanee South block
Renauf Henry Meeane south
Russell William R Redclyffe
Sealy Henry Papakura block
Sharley Henry Meeanee river near Puketapu
Sharley James Meeanee flat
Smith Edward Nonus,Hakowai Tutaekuri
Sneller George Meeanee flat
Spence George Blacksmith,township
Sutton I R Nurseryman Meeanee flat
Sturm F W C Nurseryman Greenmeadows
Tiffen Henry S Greenmeadows
Tuke Edmund Meeanee

The Anglican Church 1866 From 1866 to 1873 Anglicans held services in the Presbyterian Church at Meeanee on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month. These services were taken by the Re Henry St Hill and Rev John Townsend. In 19272 Rev Samuel Dutton Green was appointed to look after Meeanee,Puketapu,Clive and Havolock North. He lived at Meeanee.In 1872 he lost his 15 month daughter Mabel.His wife Lizzie died in childbirth same year.He stayed in Meeanee until end of the year then went overseas with his other children.
Services then taken by Rev John Townsend until first Vicar wa appointed at Taradale, Rev Phillip Cuthbert Anderson in Sept. 1873. He left Taradale in Sept 1877 and it appears that there were no further services in Meeanee. A petition on 6th Feb 1880 from residents to the Vestry, for services in Meeanee. -to the Rev J Spear in the form of a letter from Taradale School Com approving use of Meeanee schoolroom for divine services. There were 3 Sunday schools formed in the parishs 1884, at Taradale,Meeanee and the Shamrock hotel
at Awatoto.
The Anglican Church St Thomas's was built at Meeanee on section 108 Meeanee township. Land given Mr George Rymer 1886 to be used as a church. Mr Rymer was a Methodist, and his daughters were Aanglican parishioners. Clere and Clere Wellington drew the plans and architects were Messrs Cooper and Finch Napier.
Church consecrated 26 May 1887 by the 2nd Bishop of Waiapu, Rt Rev Edward Craig Stuart.Mrs Tymer played harmonium.
In 1890 there were 60 children attending the Sunday School.
14 Aprill 1899 "Mrs Highley was thanked for her canvass in connection with procuring an organ for St Thomas" This is still in the church today. Church had electricity in 1929 and in 1948 the cross was given vy Sam Parson and his family.Carved Bishop's chairs remain a mystery! They were said by several Meeanee residents to be the work of a Mrs Florence Peacock who lived behind the school. Alter said to have come from Hurkarere College.
Earliest names from Meeanee mentioned on files are as follows:
1867 James Neagle Storekeeper/Postmaster
1871 Edward Davis
1872 Rev Sam Dutton Green,John Orr,Edmund Tuke
1873 ...Burton-John H Baldwin- Mrs Carr ...Cheer- George- S Fraser-..Gillice James Hallett -William Harris- ...Harvey Rowland Hill-...Hillhouse-...Howell-Samuel Laird ...McMurray ...McNight-R Marshall-...Martin-...0'Dwyer-Simeon Newbould-John Parson-James Peacock-Peacock family-Thomas Peddie-Henry Powdrell-Edward Rabone-Fr Reignier-Miss Reynolds-George Rymer-H.Shirley-James Sharley-Harvey Sladen-...Speedy-...Willan Snr-Joseph Wells
1875 E H Beauchamp-L D Bickerton-W.Farrer-Joseph Hallett-James Lopdell-Charles Mitchell-S D Powdrell-Frank Roper-E Sladen

Ministers to serve at St Thomas's Meeanee from 1887
1883 Rev C Laurence Tuke
1893 Rev Alfred P Clarke
1924 Canon Alfred Hodge
1927 Rev Frederick Frost
1935 Canon Alfred Hodge
1944 Rev Matthew Calder
1949 Rev John C J Wilson
1956 Rev Raymond C Aires
1958 Rev Terence M Loten
1976 Rev A Huntly Dryburgh
1993 Rev Wayne M Thornton

1868 The Settlers-Meeanee Businesses.
Anderson John Carpenter
Brown James Fellmonger
Burton William Market gardener
Hammond John Brick maker
Hill William Saddler
Lever John,R Baker and confectioner
Maney Richard D Hotelkeeper
Mitchell& Kelly Fellmongers
Mitchell & Orr Boiling down establishment
Neagle James Storekeeper
Orr John Carpenter & wheewright
Peacock & Co Wholesale & retail merchants
Roper Frank Drover of stock
Rymer George Express to & from Meeanee
Smith W Francis Auctioneer
Smith James Carpenter
Sneller George Market gardener
Sutton I R nurseryman Farming and Agriculture
Bicknell John
Dempsey & Higgins
Dolbel Richard
Ford & McHardy
Francon John
Gebbie Thomas
Gill Joseph
Hallet James
Harpham Wm
Hawes R R
Hawkins James
Hawkins T
Hom J
Howard Henry
Jeffares Thomas
Johnston J
Lorigan Bart
Marshall Robert
Miller & Lindsay

Miller Thomas
Murphy John
Oliver George A
Parsons S
Powdrell Thomas D
Renouf HENRY
Sealy Henry B
Sharley James
Smith Edward N
Stewart & Horn

Tuke Edmund
Webb H E
Whitmore G.S
1869-Lever's Hall build at Meeanee and removed to Hastings street after
disastrous 1867 flood.
Next hall build by Mr John Richard Lever in 1869.Many functions were held at the hall,including a Ball held to celebrate Walter Hallett's marriage to Miss Cole on 27 Sept 1879.Manchester Unity held its meetings at the hall in 1871, and the Orange Lodge appear to have purchased ther Hall around 11872,Rev Anderson the Anglican Vicar of Taradale, secured the use of the Orange Hall Meeanee in 1873.


Meeanee early settlers
1867 NEAGLE James
1873 DAVIS Edward
1872 GREEN Rev.Sam Dutton ORR John TUKE Edmund
1873 BURTON BALDWIN John H CARR Mrs CHEER FRASER George S GILLICE HALLETT James HARRIS William HARVEY HILL Rowland HILLHOUSE HOWELL LAIRD Samuel
McMURRAY McKNIGHT MARSHALL R MARTIN 0'DWYER NEWBOULD Simeon PARSONS John PEACOCK James PEACOCK Family PEDDIE Thomas POWDRELL Henry
RABONE Edward FEIGNIER Fr REYNOLDS Miss RYMER George SHIRLEY H SHARLEY James SLADEN Harvey SPEEDY WILLAN Snr WELLS JOSEPH
1875 BEAUCHAMP E H BICKERTON L D FARRER W HALLETT Joseph LOPDELL James MITCHELL Charles POWDRELL S D ROPER Frank SLADEN E
Ministers to serve St Thomas's Meeanee from 1887
1883 TUKE REV.C.Laurence
1893 CLARKE Rev.Alfred P
1924 HODGE Canon Alfred
1927 FROST Rev Frederick
1935 HODGE Canon Alfred
1944 CALDER Rev Matthew
1949 WILSON Rev John C J
1956 AIRES Rev Raymond
1958 LOTEN Rev Terence M
1976 DRYBURGH Rev A Huntly
1993 THORNTON Rev Wayne M

Artesian Wells at Meeanee.
10 November 1866, a meeting was held at the Meeanee Hotel to consider the sinking of artesian wells. A Committee was formed of G.PEACOCK J. BATY H.SEALAY.
Several settlers offered to pay 10 pound each towards sinking of the well on the most central property of Mr G.Peacock

The following are recorded as being settlers in Tutai Kuri (sic)
1858 BREINGAN Robert BOUSEFIELD O L H W CARTER Charles Rooking (a builder from Wellington) had freehold at Meeanee CANNON Williamm A. CHAPMAN James
DAVIS Edward DAVIS Williamm GRINDALL James FRANCON John HALLETT James HAWKINS James MOCHALIN Bazil REIGNIER EULOGE Sharley Thomas Jnr SHARLEY Thomas SMITH John

Names of Interest Meanee
Reference Muskets & Marshes
Laraine KNIGHT
Page 281 1871
ALANACH Alexander Baker
ALLEN Henry Billiard marker
ALLEN Arthur Butcher
BARRY John Storekeeper
BICKERTON Lewis D Storekeeper
BINNIE Louis Storekeeper
BURSTON Harry Blacksmith
CATNACH*?CATANACH John Storeman
DAVIS John Chas Blacksmith
DEMPSEY Cornelious Coach Proprietor
DEW Samuel Policeman
DRYDEN Stephen J Painter
GOGHLAN Patrick Policeman
GOLD John Alexander Tanner
GOLDING Samuel Bootmaker
GORDON Alexander Butcher
GREEN George Blacksmith
HIGGINS William Storekeeper
HILL Roland Butcher
JOHNSON William G Accountant
JONES Alexander Pounder
JONES W S Blacksmith
LAWTON Thomas Blacksmith
LIVINGSTON William J Policeman
Mac CARTNEY Arthur Publican
Mac CORMACH Archibald Cab driver
Mc CALLUM Duncan Accountant
Mc DONALD Norman Butcher
Mc DONALD Alexander Publican
Mc WILLIAMS William Carter
MUNN David Groom
NICHOLS David Wheelwright
O'SHANNESSY** James Saddler
OLIVER James Bricklayer
PARKER John Morris Poundkeeper
PAYNE Thomas C Groom
ROBERTSHAW Henry Storekeeper
ROSE W Publican
STEPHENS William F Hotelkeeper
WALDRON Thomas B Butcher
WILLIAMS Edward Blacksmith
**This family early 1880"s married into the Burke family-Mary BURKE/O'SHANNESSEY


1874 Hawke's Bay Almanac Business Directory Page 281 Reference Muskets and Marshes Laraine KNIGHT

ALLANACH A Baker
BALDWIN M Fellmonger & Woolscourer
BULLOCH J Fellmonger & Woolscourer
DONOVAN Danis Carrier
GALLAGHER Francis Carpenter
HILL William Saddler
HILL Roland Butcher
M'ILROY John Blacksmith
MITCHELL C Fellmonger & Woolscourer
OCK AH
Market gardener
RABONE E Carpenter
ROPER Frank Drover
RYMER George Coach Proprietor
SPEEDY J C Storekeeper
VAUGHAN D Meanee Hotel
WILLAN Thomas Dairyman
WILSON James Wellsinker


2002-2005 Barbara Andrew