Search billions of records on

Hawkes Bay Herald
April -
A Huge collection of transciptions from Hawkes Bay , Poverty Bay Newspapers
Painstakingly transcribed by Elaine, and her Fantastic team
Your Time has been appreciated and I am delighted to be allowed to put them on my site

The information on these pages is for genealogy research only. It may be linked to but not copied in any form without the owners permission

HB Herald, Mon. Apr. 1, 1895
Birth -

MACKERSEY - On the 22nd March, at PUKIKORA, WAIPUKURAU, the wife of C.L. MACKERSEY, a daughter.

Deaths -

ELMES - Sergeant John ELMES, late of the Royal Engineers, after a long and painful illness, aged 70 years. (It is difficult to interpret whether this is 70 or 79 - Judy).

The funeral will leave his late residence, Havelock-road, at 5 p.m. to-day (Monday). Friends please accept this intimation.

CORBIN - At TARADALE, on March 30th, William CORBIN, aged 70 years.

Funeral will leave for TARADALE cemetery at 3 o'clock on Tuesday.

Margaret MANLEY was fined 20s and costs for drunkenness, in default 48 hours' imprisonment at the S.M. Court on Saturday.

The following is indicative of the fact that "kids" were much the same then as now:

"We noticed a group of seven or eight boys, ten years old or thereabouts, and one girl, vigorously puffing cigarettes in a paddock off Tennyson-street last night.

The Examiner say:-
On Wednesday two deserving men walked from WOODVILLE to the ORONA drainage work in the hope of finding employment. When they got there they found there had been 500 applicants there before them.

Henry CARPENTER, aptly described as a "loafer" and "a walking public nuisance," was sentenced to two months' imprisonment by Messrs LARGE and SUTTON, J's.P., on Saturday morning, for stealing an overcoat from a lad named JARMAN. The accused asked JARMAN to show him a boardinghouse, and the latter was walking along near the post-office with him for this purpose when CARPENTER snatched his overcoat, and promptly disappeared.

Mr William CORBEN, an old and respected resident of TARADALE, died suddenly on Saturday afternoon at a quarter past 3. He had been suffering from heart disease for a long time, and for the last four years had been attended by Dr. de LISLE, who has unhesitatingly afforded a certificate obviating an inquest. The decased, who was about 72 years of age and who had property in NAPIER, where he resided for some time, was found in a fit in the yard, where he had been working, by members of his family, who conveyed him into the house where he died shortly afterwards. The late Mr CORBEN, who had many personal friends owing to his kindly and genial disposition, leaves a wife and five children to mourn their loss.
HB Herald, Tues. Apr. 2, 1895

JACKSON - At "Royston," WANGANUI, on the 30th March, the wife of Henry Herbert JACKSON, of a son.


CLARKE-TAYLOR - On March 29th, at the Bishop's Chapel, AUCKLAND, by the Venerable Archdeacon CLARKE, uncle of the bridegroom, Frederick Samuel CLARKE (Oirig Station), second son of Samuel Ludbrook CLARKE, OTAHUHU, to Margaret Amy Innes TAYLOR, youngest daughter of the late William Innes TAYLOR, GLEN INNES, WEST TAMAKI, and granddaughter of the late General TAYLOR, ST. HELIER'S.
T. MANSFIELD and J. CALDERS were each fined 2s 6d and costs yesterday morning for having failed to register their respective dogs TRAY, and were ordered to license them forthwith.

Messrs P.A. HERMAN and Co. will offer on Friday next the whole of the furniture and effects of Dr. HAIGH of HASTINGS, who is about to leave the district. The furniture is almost new, and the traps and horses to be offered at the same time are so well known that buyers will no doubt avail themselves of securing one of them.

The old boat shed in Wellesley road, along with the Union Rowing Club's plant, were totally destroyed by fire at 3.30 o'clock this morning. The fire was first observed by two railway employees, who hastened to the spot, but all they succeedced in saving was a pleasure boat belonging to Mr W. SLATER. The building and plant were insured, but it is said that the amount is considerably short of the club's loss.

Mr Frank TREGELIES had a large number of words to say about "Poetry" in the Athenaeum last night. He said them off many tedious sheets of foolscap, and out of divers books, and he said them in a mournful and wearisome manner which caused the healthy-sized audience to squirm painfully in its seat. Mr TREGELIES evinced a praiseworthy knowledge of the authors, but a sad lack of elocutionary training, and if he will allow us to give him a word of friendly advice, he will remedy this defect before posing as a platform lecturer again.

William WILLIAMS, of RISSINGTON, was charged at the S.M. Court yesterday with being the owner and driver of a vehicle plying for hire within the borough of NAPIER without a license. Mr SAINSBURY represented the Corporation, and Mr CORNFORD defended. The evidence of the prosecution was to the effect that the defendant drove the RISSINGTON coach to and fro regularly and carried passengers. Mr CORNFORD contended that defendant was simply carrying out a private contract, and that there was no evidence of his having plied for hire. After hearing argument at length Mr TURNBULL reserved his decision.
HB Herald, Wed. Apr. 3, 1895
Messrs F. and D. PIRANI have entered into partnership in the proprietorship of the MANAWATU Standard.

S.W. FITZHERBERT, of PALMERSTON NORTH, jumped 5 ft 5 in at WANGANUI the other day, which is the school record for NEW ZEALAND.

We are pleased to learn that the jockey GALLAGHER shows signs of a speedy recovery, and will probably be about again in a few days.

A young man named CATTANACH met with an accident yesterday at PORT AHURIRI. He was engaged in loading a railway truck, and while lifting a piano slipped, the instrument falling on him and injuring his collarbone. He was removed to the hospital.
HB Herald, Thurs. Apr. 4, 1895
Judy Weller

Miss JOYCE, eldest daughter of Mr J. JOYCE, M.H.R., was married to Mr G. FIELD, PORT LEVY, on Saturday. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. P. W. FAIRCLOUGH at the residence of the bride's parents, LYTTELTON. Mr and Mrs FIELD are to live at PAHIATUA.

An exceedingly pleasant little reunion took place at the Masonic Hotel last night on the occasion of a presentation to
Mr E.T. SAYERS by the NAPIER Operatic and Dramatic Society. Nearly 30 gentlemen were present, and Mr J.W. CARLILE, president of the society, occupied the chair.......Mr CARLILE, in making the presentation, made a very able and humorous speech, referring to Mr SAYERS' valuable services to the operatic and dramatic world of HAWKE'S BAY, and expressing his best wishes for his future welfare.......In replying, the recipient heartily thanked the society for their present, which he should value very highly, and it would always remind him of the pleasant time he had spent with them

HB Herald, Fri. Mar. 5, 1895
Michael CUDDEBY was sentenced to five days' imprisonment by Dr. CARO, J.P., yesterday, for soliciting aims at CLIVE.

During the progress of the fire at HASTINGS last night, Mr Joe RIVERS, who was assisting in the removal of furniture, &c., became so overpowered with the heat and excitement that he swooned away and had to be carried to his home before he could be restored.

The following NAPIER bowlers have decided on being present at the WELLINGTON Easter tournament:-


The saga continues (Judy):-
Mr C. SORRELL, the well-known photographer of Dickens street, NAPIER, has forwarded us a photograph of 'PANSY", the handsome Maori girl who recently caused such a sensation in NAPIER by careering round on a bicycle in the habitiments of the "New Woman". "PANSY" is such a good looking young lady that Mr SORRELL must have found small need for retouching the likeness, which, however, is a very high class production from an artistic point of view. It would seem as though the NEW ZEALANDER of MACCAULAY's vision is indeed verging LONDON bridgewards.

The Star Football Club held its annual meeting last evening at the Masonic Hotel. The following officers were elected:-

President, Mr G.H. SWAN
Vice-presidents, Messrs F. MOELLER, T.W. BEAR, W. TAYLOR, C. PALMER, H. STEWART, and J. GILBERD
Captain, H. BEAR (re-elected)
Vice-Captain, G. MUNRO
Committee, Messrs J. RYAN, W. GILBERD, and W. SELLAR.
Mr C.P. LINDERGREEN was elected secretary, treasurer, and delegate to the Rugby Union.

A very pleasing function took place at the Greenmeadows Hotel on Wednesday night, when a number of residents of TARADALE and surrounding districts, through Mr RYMER, who made an excellent speech, presented ex Constabled LEITCH with a purse of sovereigns in appreciation of his many years of arduous service, and in token of his personal popularity. The City Band, which was in attendance, serenaded Mr LEITCH, and was present at the function aforesaid. Afterwards an adjournment was made to the Taradale Hotel, where the health of the guest of the evening was drunk in bumpers.
HB Herald, Sat. Apr. 6, 1895

FIELDER-MERLEY - At NAPIER, on March 30th, James FIELDER to Elizabeth MERLEY. South papers please copy.
Mr W.S. TAYLOR having resigned the local agency of the Dresden Piano Company, Mr Hugh APLIN, well known in musical circles, has been appointed in his place. The company intend holding a clearing sale today.

The following players will represent the WAIAPU Cricket Club v. the St. Crispin's Cricket Club, on the Recreation Ground this afternoon:-


Messrs F. SUTTON, J.H. VAUTIER, W.R. BLYTHE, J. BARDEN, and J.S. LARGE, Justices of the Peace, met yesterday for the purpose of revising the jury list. Mr John T. RECALLS(?) produced a medical certificate to show that he was unfitted for service, and he was exempted. Mr G.E. RICHARDSON was exempted on the plea that he was over the statutory age (60). The Bench complimented the police on the manner in which the list had been compiled.

Mr M. LASCELLES has resigned from the NAPIER licensing committee, as he finds that he cannot legally hold that position at the same time that he is acting as Deputy Official Assignee.

The Deputy Official Assignee went out to HASTINGS to conduct two meetings of creditors in the estates of Messrs STAFFORD and WILLIS yesterday afternoon, but there was no quorum in either case.

The HASTINGS Rifle Volunteers mustered strongly last night, and were treated to a serviceable drill. Captain CHICKEN and Lieutenant STUBBS attended to conduct the examinations of Corporals COOK and MORRIS.
HB Herald, Mon. Apr. 8, 1895

FREETH - At Elizabeth road, BLUFF HILL, on April 5th, the wife of P.C. FREETH, of a son.

THORNTON - At Karamu road, HASTINGS, on the 6th April, the wife of T.M. THORNTON, of a son.
Dr. SOMERVILLE has commenced the practice of his profession at HASTINGS.

Mr Thomas FOREMAN has donatede ?2 to the HASTINGS Fire Brigade in recognition of their services at the recent conflagration.

Mr J. MAGINNITY has removed his music rooms from the Herald Chambers to premises over the South British Insurance Company.

A writ claiming ?200 damages has been served on Mr C.M. WHITTINGTON, editor of the WAIPAWA Mail, at the instance of Mr H.P. COHEN.


WILLIAMS-HOWELL, at Dartmoor, PUKETAPU, on the 26th March, by the Rev. A.P. CLARKE, Walter John WILLIAMS, fourth son of W. WILLIAMS, RISSINGTON, to Isabel May, youngest daughter of Isaac HOWELL, both of PUKETAPU.

Here's a state of things! There are 899 ratepayers in the Borough of NAPIER, and up to the present 564 have omitted (more forgetfulness in the majority of cases, we feel sure) to pay their rates. Perhaps this will set as a reminder.

On Friday night, Mr BRILL, the late landlord of the PETANE Hotel, was tendered a farewell social and dance in the pavilion adjoining the hostelry by his many friends. On Saturday night Mr LEITCH celebrated his occupancy of the premises as the new landlord in a similar manner.

Mr Ben JOHNSTON and two sons of Mr NORTHE were rendered very ill by eating tinned sardines on Saturday, and it was found necessary to summon medical aid. Dr. MILNE-THOMSON attended promptly, and administered emetics, with the result that the patients were soon out of danger, and are now almost well again.

We understand that Mr W. CARNELL has notified Captain FORSTER (clerk of the S.M. Court), Mr O'ROURKE (bailiff), and Mr J.V. BROWN, that he intends shortly to serve a writ on them claiming ?1000 for illegal arrest and imprisonment, causing him suffering in mind and body. Up to the present the principals are understood to view the matter in a jocose light.

George FUSZARD was charged at the S.M. Court on Saturday with assaulting William MILLIGAN with intent to do bodily harm. The police asked for a remand for seven days, which was granted, bail being allowed the accused on his own recognisance of ?100 and two sureties of ?50 each. Mr CRESSWELL is representing FUSZARD. The details of the contretemps leading up to the assault were recounted in our last issue.

We have been informed that the young man George BOWERS, who went from here some six or seven months ago to COOLGARDIE, has turned up at his home in ENGLAND. There were several rumors circulated recently as the BOWERS having been killed on the goldfields, but his friends received word by the SAN FRANCISCO mail that he had been ordered away from WESTERN AUSTRALIA by the doctor, and went Home to pay his relatives a visit.

William CLEMENTS was charged at the S.M. Court on Saturday with failing to provide for his wife and child. CLEMENTS pleaded that he had offered many times to provide his wife with a home at HASTINGS, where living was cheaper, but she had refused to go out there. Mrs CLEMENTS said the defendant had wanted her to go and live in a Maori pah but she had emphatically declined the invitation. She also said a number of other things uncomplimentary to defendant, and the Bench was obliged to threaten to stop the proceedings unless she desisted. Eventually Mr TURNBULL ordered CLEMENTS to contribute 7s 6d a week towards the support of his wife, and 5s for the child.

The recently erected schoolroom at PAPAKURA was opened on Friday evening with a social and dance. The children were entertained at a capital tea, the tables being presided over by Mesdames M'CAULEY, FOURNEAUX, BEE, HUNT, and MARCHANT.........The schoolroom, which will be formally opened on Monday, has been erected at a cost of about £160 on three acres of land donated for the purpose by Mr J.G. GAUNT(?)........

HB Herald, Tues. Apr. 9, 1985
At the S.M. Court, HASTINGS, yesterday, before Messrs BEILBY and M'LEOD, J.P.'s, a man named H.R. HOLLIER was convicted of grossly indecent conduct towards children, and was sentenced to six months' hard labor.

At the S.M. Court yesterday morning two men named DAVIS and M'LEOD were fined 10s each and costs for being drunk while in charge of a horse at FARNDON.

Thomas WILSON, with a previous record, was fined 5s and costs for the same offence.

W. Kinross WHITE was fined 20s and costs for boarding a train while in motion.

Messrs FALTON and COHEN were the presiding Justic
We regret to learn of the death of Mr M.J. M'GRATH, a very old resident of NAPIER, at the age of 67 years.

Yesterday afternoon John FALLAHEE, of HAMPDEN, was charged before Mr TURNBULL, S.M., at WAIPAWA, with failing to maintain his wife and children. The wife, who lives in NAPIER, alleges that owing to his drunkenness and cruelty she left him three years ago, taking away her children with her. He was remanded till Saturday next at NAPIER, bail at £50 being allowed.

Saturday's Post says:-

Mr F.W. TRIGGS, of NAPIER, who was at one time a resident of WELLINGTON, is now one of the leading bicyclists in HAWKE'S BAY. A few days ago he rode 102 miles in 9½ hours, half the distance being done against a strong south-west wind. It is his intention to make an attempt to break SHORLAND's record for the WELLINGTON-NAPIER road. He will leave NAPIER at
6 o'clock on Friday evening, and expects to do the journey in about 23 hours.....

HB Herald, Wed. Apr. 10, 1895
Death -

TAYLOR - At CLIVE, on 9th April, Thomas George, youngest son of Matthew and Margaret TAYLOR, aged 6 years.

The funeral will leave the parents' residence for the HAVELOCK cemetery at 2.30 p.m. today (Wednesday).
In answer to a correspondent we stated in yesterday's issue that the 18th Regiment left NAPIER in the early part of 1868. This was an error. The correct date is February 24th, 1870, though January 22nd, 1870, is the time given in "Hadyn's Dictionary of Dates."
The following annual mail contracts for the NAPIER district are gazetted:-

NAPIER, and PETANE, daily coach, C. VILLIERS, £15.
NAPIER and PUKETAPU, daily coach, G. RYMER, £30.
NAPIER, RISSINGTON, and PUKETITIRI, twice weekly coach, A. M'INTYRE, £70.
NAPIER Post offices and PORT AHURIRI.....daily, wheeled conveyance (express), MAHONEY and SONS, £195.
NAPIER and TARADALE, daily coach, G. RYMER, '55.
NAPIER, TARAWERA, and TAUPO, weekly coach, CROWTHER and M'CAULEY, £250.
NAPIER, MOHAKA, and WAIROA, weekly, horse, F.W. MANEY, £87 10s.
PORT AHURIRI and vessels in harbor as required, Union S.S. Company, £100.

HB Herald, Thurs. Apr. 11, 1895

In the cricket match ST. CRISPINS v. CLIVE tomorrow the former will be represented by the following:-


Mr R(?) HARDING and Mrs HARDING returned from ENGLAND this afternoon to WAIPUKURAU. It is stated that the former's health has much improved, and many will, with me, hope it is so.

HB Herald, Apr. 12, 1895

George FUSZARD was fined ?3 and costs (half the fine to go to the prosecutor) for assaulting W. MILLIGAN at OMAHU recently, the evidence elicited being similar to that detailed by us at the time. Dr. SPENCER and Mr J.W. NEAL, J.P.'s, presided, and the case occupied some considerable time, the charge being altered from one of unlawful assault in the first instance to common assault.

As the result of a fight between two men named James KNOWLES and Gerald DOWLING at PORT AHURIRI on Wednesday night, both appeared before Dr. SPENCER and J.W. NEAL, J.P.'s, yesterday, charged with creating a breach of the peace.

The former was fined 5s, in default 24 hours, and the latter 10s or 48 hours, the costs to be divided.

A prohibition order was subsequently granted against DOWLING at his own request. Mr CRESSWELL represented DOWLING and Sir W. WASTENEYS appeared on KNOWLES' behalf

HB Herald, Mon. Apr. 15, 1895

A letter from a NEW ZEALAND lady in VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA, conveys some further particulars of the death of Mr Neil HEATH. It seems that for some time past he had been in failing health, and had been advised by his friends to seek medical advice, but he replied that he knew how to doctor himself. One day he left his lodgings at midday, and did not return. Inquiries set on foot showed that he had gone by rail into the bush, some miles away, and on search being made his body was found on a fallen trunk, in a sitting posture. The local papers mention that there was a very large attendance at the funeral, all the teachers and school authorities and trustees in town being present, and the coffin was covered with beautiful flowers and wreaths. Mr HEATH's untimely death caused a great shock in VICTORIA, where he had made many warm friends, and was highly esteemed.


A number of changes have been made in the police force in this district. Constable O'CONNOR, an old and deserving officer, has been appointed to take charge of the TARADALE district, and Constable EALES will take his place. Constable MONTGOMERY, who has been "on the beat" in NAPIER for many years, and whose good qualities and strict attention to duty has earned him the esteem of the peace-loving portion of the community, has been transferred to WANGANUI, and Gunney HAY, of the Permanent Artillery, will take his place.

Ernest WRIGHT, who was arrested at AUCKLAND on Wednesday, and charged with the larceny of a watch and chain of Douglas WATT, of HASTINGS, is likely to have more than one charge preferred against him. It appears that Mr A. ROBERTSON, trainer for Mr RATHBONE, entrusted WRIGHT with two letters containing cheques to be left at HASTINGS for Mr LUCKIE and Mr DANVERS. However, on inquiries being instituted it was found that neither gentleman had received the letters, and on going to the bank it was found that the cheques had been cashed.
HB Herald, Tues. Apr. 16, 1895

Death - BAKER - On the 15th April, at her residence, Roslyn road, Alice Winifred, wife of Horace BAKER. Funeral private.

Mr MEADS, of PARAEKARETU, has an immense stone, or rather a rock, on his farm, and the question is where did it come from. Geologists would probably say that it was brought down by ice during the glacial period. But the Maoris on being asked reply with - "He Kawhatu uo te Atua," which means a stone from God, a meteoric stone. It is estimated to weigh 40 or 50 tons. As there are no other rocks of the same order, or of any kind, to be found for miles around which might give a clue as to where it came from, after all the Maoris may be right when stating that they believe it to be a meteorite. The rock rests on a high ridge, and is 15 minutes' walk from the RATA railway station seawards.

It is asserted that the accident to Mr M'DONALD on Sunday night, which caused him to fall between the Ahuririri and the wharf, was chiefly caused through there being an insufficiency of light in the vicinity. Mr M'DONALD did not jump from the rail as at first stated, being, in fact, gallantly engaged in rendering assistance to a lady when the accident occurred. The Harbor Board should attend to this lighting mattr at once.
HB Herald, Wed. Apr. 17, 1895

John FALLAHEE was ordered to pay 5s a week each towards the support of his two children by Mr TURNBULL, S.M., yesterday morning. The evidence showed that the defendant and his wife had not agreed for some time. Mr TURNBULL animadverted strongly on the fact that a warrant had been issued for FALLAHEE's arrest when an ordinary summons would have answered the purpose, and refused to allow solicitor's fee......

A large and enthusiastic meeting of the members of the Hawke's Bay County Football Club was held at the Pacific Hotel last night, Mr H.H. HUNT in the chair. The following officers were elected:-

Secretary, Mr George EBBETT
Assistant secretary, Mr Friday TOMOANA
Captain, Mr C . CAULTON
Vice-captain, Mr J. MacDOWELL

It was resolved to commence practice at once. A vote of thanks was passed to Mr J.N. WILLIAMS, he having granted permission to the club to use his polo field.

There was a fair attendance at St. Augustine's schoolroom lat evening, when a concert was given in aid of the funds of St. Augustine's Sunday school. Musically the concert was very successful, a number of items being re-demanded. Instrumental selections were given by


Mrs E. FAULKNOR, Misses R. CHEGWIDDEN, D'AUTHERAU, and MAYSON, and Messrs W. SIMPSON, A.H. HERON, MACKAY, J.G. SWAN, C.P. CLARKE, and C. SAUNDERS were the vocalists........

HB Herald, Thurs. Apr. 18, 1895


RATHBONE-BAKER - On 17th April, at St. Peter's Church, WAIPAWA, Isabella, eldest daughter of the late Mr H.J. BAKER, to Herbert Melville, eldest son of Mr W. RATHBONE, WAIPAWA.

Messrs ALDER, ROLDER, COLLINS, and WHITEMAN have been elected members of the committee of the Working Men's Club, and Mr W. GRUNDY a life member of the institution.

We are pleased and proud to chronicle the fact that the NAPIER Naval Artillery were specially complimented by Lieutenant-Colonel PITT at FEILDING on their soldierlike appearance and good behavior.

The Wimbledon Hotel was burned down at 2 o'clock yesterday morning. The hostelry was occupied by Mr John TODD and owned by Mr John CRIPPS, and was insured for ?1250 altogether, ?650 being the risk on the building and ?300 on both furniture and stock.

Our TIKOKINO correspondent writes:-

"Last week while out with a local lady angler, Master P. BUCHANAN gave valuable assistance in the capture of a large eel. The monster, which was 52 inches in length, and measured 16? inches round the girth, weighed 18? lb. Then he adds: The fishing season ends today."

A Catholic social was held in the Town Hall, HASTINGS, last night, a most enjoyable evening being spent. The arrangements were most completely carried out under the superintendence of Mrs CULLEN, and Mr W.Y. DANNETT carried out the duties of the M.C. to the manner born.

The new bell for the Catholic Church at HASTINGS was landed ex the Indramayo yesterday. It looks a beauty, weighs about 9 cwt, and we learn is composed of a special alloy to produce a sweet tone. As it has been anxiously waited for, it will soon be pealing from its tower over the plains of HERETAUNGA.


This morning a man named Thomas BURNS was charged before the local Bench with being drunk and incapable. His face was cut and bruised in a most shocking manner, which he said was caused by falling, and he shook with the effects of drink. It transpired that he was before the same Bench ten days ago on a similar charge, when he was allowed to go free to return to his employ at TE APIRI, that he had been there but was discharged, probably because of his dreadful state. He was fined 20s with costs, or in default seven days' imprisonment in NAPIER gaol.

Mr TURNBULL, S.M., will have an interesting sitting tomorrow, including a case against a publican for allowing an unlawful game, to wit, Yankee grab, on his licensed premises; and the long talked about claim by Dr. MIRBACH against Mr S. M'GREEVY to recover ?120, the purchase money for the Town Board's section and ?10 penalty; also the case of WAIPAWA County Council v. Dr. Dr. MIRBACH for county rates.

The annual meeting of the NAPIER Liedertafel was held last night, after the ordinary practice, Mr G.E. SAINSBURY, president of the society, being in the chair......The following officers were then elected for the year:-

Mr G.E. SAINSBURY, president (re elected)
Messrs W.E. FRASER, N. KETTLE, E.W. LYNDON, and Dr. JARVIS, vice-presidents
Committee, Messrs W.M. DAVIDSON, T. MORRISON, J.G. SWAN, C. DEANE, and H. MARTIN
Librarian, Mr W.P. FINCH
Honorary secretary and treasurer, Mr A.E. JACKSON.

Mr SHARP thanked the society for having elected him as conductor, and said he should do his utmost to promote the interests of the Liedertafel......

HB Herald, Fri. Apr. 19, 1895


WILLIAMS - At Te AUTE, on the 18th April, the wife of the Rev. A.F. WILLIAMS, of a son.

The Rev. W. COLENSO, F.R.S., has generously given ?100 towards the fund for supplying the ministrations of religion in the poorer districts of the diocese of WAIAPU.

Francis MIDDLETON was charged yesterday before Mr VAUTIER, J.P., with having no visible means of support, and was sentenced to six months' hard labor. The unfortunate creature had only recently been liberated from incarceration after doing a sentence of six months, efforts to reform her in the meantime having failed.

A horse wandered into Mr F.C. FULTON's garden yesterday morning, and on being turned out immediately dropped dead.

The secretary of the hospital, and the master of the Refuge, acknowledge with thanks a parcel of illustrated papers from Mrs J.H. COLEMAN, WAITIRIRAU.

A meeting was held last evening, when it was decided to form a Hawke's Bay Camera Club. Mr HUMPHRIES was elected president, Mr BRIDGES vice-president, and Mr H. OWEN secretary.....

HB Herald, Sat. Apr. 20, 1895
A horse wandered into Mr F.C. FULTON's garden yesterday morning, and on being turned out immediately dropped dead.

The secretary of the hospital, and the master of the Refuge, acknowledge with thanks a parcel of illustrated papers from

A meeting was held last evening, when it was decided to form a Hawke's Bay Camera Club. Mr HUMPHRIES was elected president, Mr BRIDGES vice-president, and Mr H. OWEN secretary.....
HB Herald, Mon. Apr. 22, 1895
We regret very much to learn that Mr BLOXSOME, of NAPIER, who has been over twenty years in the telegraph service and who is very popular with his comrades in all parts of the colony, has been obliged to resign owing to failing eye-sight.

A rumor is flying about HASTINGS that the Minister for Lands has fixed an envious eye on the LONGLANDS estate, about a mile and a half from HASTINGS, at present in the occupation of Mr M'HARDY, and it is whispered that some HASTINGS residents suffering from land hunger intend to petition the Government to acquire the property aforesaid.
HB Herald, Tues. Apr. 23, 1895

TICKNER - On the 22nd April, at the residence of his brother, James TICKNER, eldest son of the late James TICKNER,

The funeral will leave the deceased's late residence at 2.30 today (Tuesday) for HASTINGS cemetery.
We regret to learn that Mr and Mrs C. HAMMER, well-known in NAPIER, have lost their son Henry, who died recently at PALMERSTON NORTH.

A committee meeting of the Hawke's Bay Athletic Club was held yesterday, Mr J.L. CATO in the chair. The following new members were elected:-

A young man named COX, aged 16, has been arrested at ORMONDVILLE charged with attempting to criminally assault a girl 10 years of age, and remanded for detention in NAPIER for eight days on the application of the police.

At the S.M. Court yesterday morning Arthut DORRETT, appearing for the second time in three days on a charge of drunkenness, was fined £1, in default four days.

Arthur NEWMAN, similarly charged, was fined 5s, in default 24 hours' imprisonment.

James CHASE was ordered to be sent to the Mount Eden gaol, AUCKLAND, for three months for failing to comply with an order of the Court for the payments of 2s a week towards the support of his father, the sum of £6 4s being due.
A meeting of those interested in the formation of a football club amongst the shop assistants was held at the Cafe last evening,
Mr F.B. STALLARD in the chair. There was a good attendance. It was decided to form a club to be called the "Tradesmen's Football Club," and the following office bearers were elected:-

President, Mr F. MOELIER
Vice-presidents, Messrs S. CARNELL, M.B.R., W.R. BLYTHE, J.P. THOMSON, A.E. EAGLETON, J. RINGLAND,
Captain, F.B. STALIARD
Vice-captain, A. PIRIE
Secretary and treasurer, E. ELLYETT
HB Herald, Wed. Apr. 24, 1895
We hear that the Rev. D. SIDEY has had the degree of D.D. conferred upon him in absentia by the Senate of Edinburgh University. We congratulate the reverend gentleman on attaining the well deserved honor.


This afternoon the body of the late Mr James TICKNER was laid to rest in the HASTINGS cemetery. There were a good many sympathisers in attendance as the funeral cortege passed from the deceased's late residence to St. Matthew's Church, where the Rev. J. HOBBS conducted a portion of the service, and there would have been many more but for the heavy showers. Some members of the choir were in attendance and sang appropriate hymns. The chief mourners were Mr John TICKNER and Mr Arthur TICKNER, brother and nephew of the deceased
HB Herald, Thurs. Apr. 25, 1895
Mr F.L. HUTCHINSON, who for six years past has been connected with the Bank of Australasia in NAPIER, has resigned his position with a view to proceeding to MUNICH to perfect his art studies there. During his stay in this town Mr HUTCHINSON, by reason of his genial character and social disposition, has made a host of friends. His chief hobby - putting on one side the brush - is rowing, and as captain of the NAPIER Club, he has done much to foster acquatics in our midst.........
HB Herald, Fri. Apr. 26, 1895

EVANS - BRILL - In St. Paul's Church, by the Rev. PATERSON, Henry John EVANS, second son of J. EVANS, Esq., sheepfarmer, PARCORA, TIMARU, to Emilie Wilhelmina, eldest daughter of T.E. BRILL, Esq., NAPIER.

At a recent LONDON old postage stamp sale a "QUEENSLAND first issue shilling violet imperfect" was sold for £33, and a "NEW ZEALAND water mark one penny brown," sold for £35.

At a social in connection with the NAPIER Christian Endeavor Society, held last night, opportunity was taken to present
Miss COWELL, who has been for some years associated with the society, and who is shortly to be married, with a handsome marble clock suitably inscribed. Mr KELLY, the president, made the presentation, and Rev. J. PATERSON also took opportunity to pass some complimentary remarks as to the zeal which the recipient had invariably exhibited in church matters.


A very young girl, one of Mr F. SHANLY's daughters, had a bad accident this morning. She was carrying a jug of boiling water when her foot slipped and the water spilled down the inside of the leg, scalding her so badly that in taking off her stocking, the skin peeled off. A speedy and judicious use of flour in the first place and a lotion of linseed oil and lime water afterwards had a soothing and beneficial effect.

Mr M. MORONEY's condition still continues to improve.


One of Mr ELLINGHAM's stable lads, E. BELL, met with a nasty accident this morning whilst exercising a filly belonging to
Mr PORTLAND. The horse fell, and the lad coming down heavily sustained a fracture of his collar bone. Dr. LINNEY attended the sufferer, and he is now progressing favorably.
HB Herald, Sat. Apr. 27, 1895

ADAMS-MEAGHER - On April 22nd, at Mission Station, MEANEE, by the Rev. Father BINSFELD,
Percy ADAMS to Bridget MEAGHER.
The NEW ZEALAND Times says that Mrs RANDALL's collection of chrysanthemums was the feature of the WELLINGTON show and excited general admiration, notwithstanding that they had been picked about a fortnight and exhibited at NAPIER.

Mr P. GILL, formerly of MASTERTON, and lately of INVERCARGILL, and who has been connected with life insurance for the last eleven years, has been appointed inspector of agents for HAWKE'S BAY province by the National Mutual Life Association of Australasia, Limited, and has opened an office in NAPIER at the corner of Browning and Herschell streets.
HB Herald, Mon. Apr. 29, 1895


ADAMS - Mary Ann, the beloved wife of John ADAMS, aged 40. Jersey papers please copy. The funeral will leave her late residence Western Spit, at 2 p.m. this day.

Mr ISITT leaves WELLINGTON by the Gothic for ENGLAND on 2nd May.

Mr Charles HUGHES, an old HASTINGS resident, has returned there to live after a lengthy stay in MASTERTON, where, besides carrying on a lucrative business, of which he recently disposed, he occupied the position of borough councillor so creditably that many regrets were expressed by his civic brethren at his resignation.

HB Herald, Tues. Apr. 30, 1895
BIRTH - LUSK - On the 19th April, at her residence, Milton-terrace, Mrs Hugh B. LUSK, of a daughter.

Several residents of NAPIER have been bar bound at WAIROA during the last few days. Mr TURNBULL, who was on a visit to WAIROA, was thus unable to get back to settle Court business and to hold a sitting of the Assessment Court as arranged.

At the S.M. Court yesterday morning Messrs SUTTON and LUGE, J's.P., sentenced Catherine BROWN to seven days' imprisonment for using grossly indecent language in a public place. Mr CRESSWELL, who represented defendant, explained that she had been suddenly taken unwell, and was unable to attend. Evidence went to show that on the 10th instant the accused whilst drunk had made use of the language in a right of-way off Havelock-road in the hearing of a number of passers-by.

The first wedding in St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church took place yesterday, when Mr G.W. TEMPERLEY and Miss Clara DURNEY were united in the bonds of holy matrimony. The Rev. Father GROGAN performed the ceremony, the bride being given away by her father, Mr T. DURNEY, Mr Alfred BODEN acting as groomsman. The bride and her attendant bridesmaids, the Misses DURNEY (2) and Rose SAMSON, looked charming as they took their places in front of the altar. The church was crowded with friends and well-wishers of the happy couple, and they were the recipients of hosts of good wishes and a perfect shower of rice as they left the church. Mrs St. CLAIR played the "Wedding March".

HB Herald, Wed. May 1, 1895
Deaths SCOTT -
On the 15th April, at 3, Norwood Mount, HEADINGLEY, Catherine, widow of the late John SCOTT, jun., and also the beloved sister of Ellen BRIDEN, formerly of New Zealand.
Interment at Lawnswood today (Monday).

At HAVELOCK, on the 27th April, Isaac Charles VAUGHAN, aged 77 years.

The latest addition to the telephone exchange is Mr S.S. RUDDOCK, commissioner agent, Tennyson street, No. 253.

The body of the late Mr VAUGHAN, a very old resident of the HAVELOCK district, was interred in the HAVELOCK cemetery yesterday, the Rev. Canon St. HILL conducting the last sad rites.

We learn from the WAIROA paper that Mr MEIN, ex-manager of the Kiwi station in that district, has been presented by his fellow employees with a gold albert and pendant as a token of regard.

Mr NORTHCROFT, Stipendiary Magistrate at AUCKLAND, has warned larrikins who congregate at street corners and insult passers by, that in future, in any cases where they are strong enough to bear such punishment, he will order them to be flogged. The curse of this colony, he added, is want of parental control.

Mr Alexander WALTER(?) has been appoointed an officer under the Fisheries Conservation Act, 1884, for the counties of WAIPAWA, PATANGATA, HAWKE'S BAY, and WAIROA, and all boroughs situated within the said counties.

A man named George ELLIS has been captured by Constable BERRYMAN near TAUPO on a warrant charging him with forging and issuing valueless cheques. He was persistently shadowed by the local police, who gave the information whbich culminated in his detention. The accused is said to have obtained the horse on which he was journeying to TAUPO from a resident of TARADALE by means of a valueless cheque. Constable RUTLEDGE has been entrusted with the task of bringing him back to NAPIER.

Mr T.E. BRILL, late of TARAWERA, and more recently landlord of the PETANE Hotel, has taken over Mr C. SIDDELL's interest in the Royal Hotel, opposite the Recreation Ground. Mr BRILL is a publican of experience, and well and favorably known to the travelling public, and we have no doubt he will make a success of his new venture. He intends making special provision for athletes, and to reserve special rooms for their convenience. In connection with the above it is interesting tonote that the Royal was one of the first hotels established in NAPIER, Captain MUNN, quite a celebrity in his way, being the first landlord in those days long gone by.

There was a very large attendance at St. Paul's Presbyterian Church yesterday morning. to witness the marriage of Mr Charles B. HOBSON, of TAKAPAU, with Miss Annie COWELL, daughter of the late Dr. COWELL, of NAPIER.......

Mr T. HOBSON, brother of the bridegroom, acted as best man, and the Misses HOBSON, T. COWELL, and SMALL (2), were bridesmaids. The service was full choral, Mr APLIN presiding at the organ. The Rev. J.G. PATERSON performed the wedding ceremony, the bride being given away by her brother, Mr James COWEL......

HB Herald, Thurs. May 2, 1895 Coleman shield

The following team has been selected by the match committee of the NAPIER Naval Artillery to represent the corps in the competition for the Coleman challenge shield:-

Captain SMITH

Lieutenants - FANNING and GURR,





HB Herald, Fri. May 3, 1895

RICHMOND - At TOMOANA, on the 2nd May, the wife of W. RICHMOND, of a son.

The amended statement of assets in the estate of Albert KARAITIANA shows the total amount owing to unsecured creditors to be ?2214 9s 7d. The assets are estimated at ?5042.

In the HASTINGS S.M. Court, before Messrs BEILBY and M'LEOD yesterday morning, William WEBB was charged with being of unsound mind, and was ordered to be sent to the WELLINGTON asylum, on the authority of Drs. LINNEY and SOMERVILLE. WEBB is suffering from religious manis.

Sat. May 4, 1895 ROSE presentation
An interesting ceremony took place last night at the Criterion Hotel, when Mr W.H. ROSE, late of DALGETY and Co., was presented by the members of the NAPIER Rowing Club with a gold sovereign case, on the occasion of his leaving NAPIER for COOLGARDIE. The presentation was made by Mr F.L. HUTCHISON, captain of the NAPIER Rowing Club, who in a feeling speech alluded to the services Mr ROSE had rendered the club both as hon. treasurer and as a member of the senior representative crew.......

Mr A.D. SOMMERVILLS' residence, Madeira road, has been added to the telephone exchange list (No. 256).

R.D. JOHNSTON, alias George ELLIS, appeared at the S.M. Court yesterday morning charged with passing a forged cheque of the value of ?10 6s on a TARADALE resident on the 25th April, and was remanded on the application of the police till Thursday next. Several other charges are pending against the accused.

Mr M. COLLETT had an accident on Wednesday night while driving home in the dark, being thrown out of the trap. Hos ankle was injured, and he is not likely to get about for a fortnight, and the splashboard of the trap was smashed.

Mr Alexander WALTER(?) has been appointed an officer under the Fisheries Conservation Act, 1884, for the counties of WAIPAWA, PATANGATA, HAWKE'S BAY, and WAIROA, and all boroughs situated within the said counties.

KNIGHT FIRE At 8 o'clock last night the violent ringing of the HASTINGS fire-bell betokened another conflagration in the centre of the town. It was soon discovered that the seat of the fire was in the two-storied shed at the rear of Mr B.L. KNIGHT's timber yard used for the storage of seasoned timber, &c......An examination showed that the fire had broken out in the corner of the shed where a quantity of charcoal in bags had been stored, which was soon glowing like a furnace, and that the flames had found their way into the upper portion of the premises. The manual engine was at once utilised, with the result that in a short time the fire was under control. The steam engine was also in readiness, but was not required. The premises were covered by a risk in the South British office for ?250, but the stock destroyed, valued at ?40 or ?50, was uninsured.
HB Herald, Mon. May 6, 1895

A remittance man named W.A. BAMFORD died rather suddenly at the Provincial Hotel yesterday. Dr. JARVIS was called in by Mr GLEESON, the landlord, about 8 o'clock in the morning and found the man in a very bad state, and about 1 p.m. he died. The deceased had resided with Mr GLEESON for three or four years, but recently went on a visit to SYDNEY. He returned about a month ago broken in health and depressed in spirits, and his health slowly got worse, culminating in his death as stated.

Dr. JARVIS certified his death to be due to failure of the heart's action due to excessive drinking, and reported to the coroner to that effect. The latter having consulted the police decided to dispense with an inquest. We have our doubts as to the wisdom of this course. It is only right that in a case where a man has drunk himself to death particulars should be forthcoming.

CLARK - At PATANGATA, on May 2nd, the wife of William CLARK, of a son.

ANDERSON - At DENDERAH, Hukarere road, on the 2nd May, the wife of W.F.J. ANDERSON, of a son.


LESLIE - At Sir Henry Barkley Hotel, Fitzroy, MELBOURNE, and late of NAPIER, David LESLIE, aged 54 years, after a painful illness. Deeply regretted.

BAMFORD - On the 5th May, W.A. BAMFORD, son of the late Mr Edwin BAMFORD, of Ruby Hall, BROMBOROUGH, ENGLAND.

The funeral will leave the Provincial Hotel at 2.30 o'clock today. - W.M. NEWMAN, Undertaker

HB Herald, Tues. May 7, 1895

The Rev. Charles CONNOR was last night inducted to the charge of the PORT AHURIRI and MEANEE Presbyterian Churches. Mr CONNOR was recently pastor of the church at WAKARI, NORTH CANTERBURY.

We are pleased to see that our suggestion that an inquest should be held on the body of the unfortunate man BAMFORD was adopted by the authorities, for though we regret the lamentable circumstances disclosed in evidence, we recognise more than ever that their secretion would have been the secretion which leads to a festering public scandal.

Our WOODVILLE correspondent informs us that the following was the result of the poll taken on Saturday last for five members for the WOODVILLE Road Board:-

J. PINFOLD, sen. 20

The first five were declared elected.

At the S.M. Court yesterday morning, before Mr TURNBULL, S.M., Agnes FULBROOK, for whom Mr DINWIDDIE appeared, asked that an order previously made against her husband for support of herself and family be increased from 30s per month. After hearing evidence the Bench ordered the defendant to pay ?2 10s a month in future.

On the application of Ellen KAVANAGH the Bench ordered her son to contribute 5s a week towards her maintenance.


RUSSELL - At Tuna Nui, on May 6th, the wife of Herbert RUSSELL, of a son.

At the S.M. Court yesterday morning James OLIVER and James GRAHAM were each sentenced to seven days' imprisonment for drunkenness.

HB Herald, Wed. May 8, 1895

The MEANEE Hotel was destroyed by fire yesterday. The building was owned by Mr H.C. ROBJOHNS, and occupied by Mr P. DONEY. The fire started about half-past 11, and the building being old and inflammable burned at a terrific rate. When the fire was first noticed by Mrs DONEY the flames were issuing from the wash-house, but although strenuous efforts were made to combat the conflagration in its incipiency the main building was soon one mass of flames, a stiff breeze assisting the fire.....

Thurs. May 9, 1895 Waipawa Court

Our WAIPAWA correspondent writing yesterday says:-

Constable RIORDAN arrested Edward Mothead SYMONS at WHAKARARA this morning at 6 o'clock on a charge of obtaining
19s 6d by false pretences from one Thomas WOOLLEY, at NORSEWOOD, by means of a cheque on the Bank of New Zealand, WAIPAWA. Other charges are pending against him. He will appear at the Magistrate's Court in the morning, and probably a remand will be applied for.
The following team has been selected to represent the F. Battery in the shooting for the Coleman shield on the 24th May:-

Lieutenants HUGHES and BERRY
Sergeant-Major HUGHES
Quartermaster-Sergeant FOX
Bombardiers SWINDLEY and GARNER
Emergencies, Gunners GRINDELL, WHITE, and GARNER.

The school committee wasted a tremendous amount of time last night in discussing a motion which was quite out of order, though eventually carried, making certain recommendations to the Board anent the apppointment of an assistant master. Considering that Mr PITCAITHLY's resignation has not yet been accepted, nor indeed considered by the Education Board, and that the latter body has, consequently, not had the opportunity of inviting applications, the course taken by the committee was premature to say the least of it.

GISBORNE people will be pleased to learn that coast settlers have taken some steps to mark their appreciation of services rendered by Mr John WALKER, who for so many years caried the coast mails with a regularity which put even the steamers in the shade. Several of the residents of TOKOMARU BAY met the other evening at the residence of Mr W.D.S. M'DONALD (says a correspondent of the Herald) for the purpose of presenting Mr WALKER with a purse of sovereigns as a mark of appreciation of his past services. Mr M'DONALD made the presentation on behalf of the subscribers, and many kindly things were said of the recipient's genial good nature and his ever readiness to oblige. Mr WALKER suitably responded, and a very enjoyable evening was spent with songs and stories.

HB Herald, Fri. May 10, 1895 local news

Our WAIPAWA contemporary says:-- It is rumored that Mr Joseph IVESS intends starting a daily paper at HASTINGS.

Both Dr. SWEET and Mr MOELLER have received letters from Joe GALLAGHER, Mr L.D. NATHAN's jockey, and his friends, speaking in the highest terms of the treatment he received while lying injured in the hnospital, and thanking both for their invariable kindness and attention.

Mr GLEESON wishes us to explain that the amounts mentioned in the late Mr BAMFORD's diary, ?38 and ?15, as owing to him, were incurred by the deceased while on a trip to SYDNEY with Mr GLEESON. On their return the deceased wished to pay the latter ?63 in full satisfaction, but Mr GLEESON refused to take more than the amount strictly due to him, whereupon the deceased expressed his intention of making a substantial present to Mr GLEESON's son. The latter replied that he could do as he liked about that.

An interesting little ceremony took place last night, when Mr J.G. SWAN, in view of his approaching marriage, received a very handsome and novel present from the Cathedral choir, of which he has been a member for the last five years. The presentation, which consisted of a valuable plated egg-boiler, was made by Dean HOVELL in the Cathedral vestry.......

At a meeting of the Garrison Band held last evening Mr T.R. WALTON was elected secretary, pro tem, in place of Mr A.E. RENOUF, resigned. Mr M'MICHAN was appointed corporal, and Mr J. HOLT lance-corporal.

Mr Hugh APLIN, who recently took over the management of the Dresden Piano Company's NAPIER branch, has been making a number of importations of music and instruments of late, and his establlishment is now crammed with goods of all descriptions.

At a meeting of the HASTINGS Bowling Club, held last night, it was finally decided to buy the ground at present in use from Mr JULL. Messrs TYREMAN, FOREMAN, MADDISON, REYNOLDS, and NEWBIGIN were elected a finance committee, and Mr J. REYNOLDS was appointed secretary pro tem.
HB Herald, Sat. May 11, 1895 Hastings Rifle

The following team has been selected by the match committee of the HASTINGS Rifle Volunteers to fire for the Coleman shield on Queen's Birthday:-

Captain LEWIS,
Lieutenant WARE,
Color-Sergeant ROSS,
Sergeants SHANLEY and NORTHE,
Corporal MORRIS

Corporal COOK,
Privates HASTIE and FEARN.
Townspeople living in the vicinity of Carlyle street and Hyderabad road will be glad to learn that Mr G. RYMER has established a bus service for their convenience. It will be seen elsewhere that a time-table has been arranged, giving twelve trips each way daily, between the junction of the railway crossing and Newton's corner, starting at the hours stated. The fare has been placed at a low scale, 3d each way.

HB Herald, Mon. May 13, 1895

Dr. INNES, of GISBORNE, has treated a very serious case of diptheria successfully, with anti-toxin.

Mrs BESANT's daughter (Mrs BESANT-SCOTT), of MELBOURNE, was recently admitted into the Roman Catholic Church. Her granddaughter embraced the Catholic faith some time ago.

The NAPIER visitors to HASTINGS yesterday desire to record their sense of Mr Le BAS' skill and carefulness and punctuality in driving them out and home. A comfortable bus and a spanking team in the hands of a good driver!

An old man named Joseph DESTER died suddenly at the PETANE Hotel at 8 o'clock on Saturday morning, it is supposed from senile decay, at the age of 74 years. An inquest was held later in the day, but we have not as yet heard the result.

HB Herald, Tues. May 14, 1895

A vigilant search has been made, but so far without success, for the convict FOGGAN, who escaped from the gaol works at MOUNT COOK, WELLINGTON, on Thursday afternoon last.

The following will represent the Rivals in their match against the United Tradesmen's Football Club. The match will be played on the Recreation Ground on Wednesday afternoon, commencing at 3 p.m.


By the last San Francisco mail news arrived that Mr W.J. WILLCOCKS, local agent for the New Zealand Shipping Company, and now on a visit to England, had been taken seriously ill and was an inmate of a London hospital. His many friends will be pleased to learn that later intelligence by the Brindisi mail reports him improving. We hope to hear shortly that he is completely restored to health, and able to enjoy his well-earned holiday.

Mr TURNBULL presided at the R.M. Court yesterday, when William WILLIAMS, on a charge of plying for hire as the driver of a carriage, not having a license to do so, was fined 21s, costs 15s, and solicitor's fee ?1 1s.

E.E. MORTON had to pay a fine of 15s, costs 10s, and witnesses' expenses 14s, or go to prison for four days, for having behaved in a violent manner at a railway station.

Robert MARTIN, for breaking a pane of glass in one of the Bus Company's vehicles, was fined 10s, costs 9s, witness's
expenses 5s, and damage 3s, in default four days in gaol.

R. SPIERS, who did not appear, was fined ?1 for over indulgence in alcoholic liquors.

The Cathedral Vestry, at its meeting last week, passed a cordial vote of thanks for Mr J. MAGINNITY for presiding at the organ during the interval between the departure of Mr Maughan BARNETT from NAPIER and the arrival of Mr SHARP. The Vestry also voted a sum of money for the purchase of a suitable present as a small recognition of Mr MAGINNITY's services as temporary organist and choirmaster. The presentation, which was made yesterday by the Dean of WAIAPU, consisted of a handsome pair of field-glasses, and in presenting them, whilst conveying the thanks of the Vestry to Mr MAGINNITY, the Dean added that he felt personally very grateful to that gentleman for his services, as well as for the invariable courtesy he had shown towards him (the Dean) whilst he acted as organist........

At the S.M. Court yesterday Arthur NEWMAN, alias NEWMAGIN, pleaded guilty to a charge of drunkenness, but not guilty of attempting to commit suicide.......The S.M. fined him 20s and 2s costs for drunkenness, and ordered him to pay 10s 6d for maintenance in gaol.......
HB Herald, Wed. May 15, 1895


HUNT - At HASTINGS, on the 14th of May, the wife of Horace H. HUNT, of a son.

The annual meeting of the HASTINGS Fire Police was held at the brigade station, Captain TYERMAN in the chair. After some routine business was attended to the following officers were re-elected:-


The offer of Dr. SOMERVILLE to promote an ambulance class in connection with the Police was accepted with thanks.

In the S.M. Court yesterday morning H. WILLIAMS and J.G. GILBARD brought a claim against A. HOLLIS of ?5 0s 3d, for the manufacture of castings, &c. The plaintiffs were nonsuited with costs ?2 2s. (Mr DINWIDDIE for plaintiff, Mr SAINSBURY for defendant.

Another non-suit case was that of MOSSMAN v. TAMATI, claim 8s 6d, plaintiff failing to produce evidence of assignment of book-debts. (Mr DINWIDDIE for plaintiff, and Mr LUSK for defendant).

Says the HAWERA Star:-

Mr E.C. HORNER, of PATEA, had a strange experience the other evening. With his wife and another lady he had been to ALTON to a dance, and when he commenced the return journey home in the evening found his horse, contrary to usual experience, a "jibber." By alternate punishment and coaxing, and after much delay, and the need for the ladies to walk a considerable distance over a muddy road, he reached the metal, and then the horse travelled home at a rattling pace. Arrived home, Mr HORNER found he had been given a strange horse in place of his own, and inquiries showed that the substitute had never been in harness previously. A lucky escape, one would think, from a perilous predicament.


HODGSON - On May 12th, at Hastings street, HASTINGS, Cyril Mervyn LOVELL, only son of Benjamin OLIVER and Susannah HODGSON, aged 3 years. Blenheim papers please copy.

A game of football was played on the Recreation Ground yesterday afternoon between the Rivals and Tradesmen's Football Club, when the latter won by nine points (three tries) to nil. Tries for the victors were obtained by BLAKELEY, WICK, and GILLESPIE.

The first winter social in connection with All Saints' Church, TARADALE, was held in the schoolroom on Tuesday evening, the room being well filled. The following ladies and gentlemen kindly assisted:-


A capital programme was gone through, and encores were numerous. The organist, Mr C.P. CLARKE, played the accompaniments, and the singing of the National Anthem terminated a very pleasant evening.


VAUGHAN - At HASTINGS, on the 15th May, Percy, the eldest son of R.G. VAUGHAN, aged 23 years.

The funeral will leave the late residence of the deceased this day, at 3 p.m., for the HASTINGS cemetery

HB Herald, Fri. May 17, 1895 local news

We hear that Dr. ROSS, late of WAIROA, but later of WOODVILLE, intends removing to WAIPAWA.

Mr F. PIRANI, M.H.R., has been elected a member of the WANGANUI Education Board, defeating Mr S.H. DREW by 58 votes to 19.

Mr A. Ward LASCELLES has left with us the largest pomegranate we have ever seen. It was grown in his garden in Shakespeare road.

Some time ago Mr W.J. CAVERHILL, of HAWERA, sent Home a sheep to a great-aunt in Ross-shire, north of Scotland, and the other day received a letter acknowledging receipt, in which she said, "I think I never saw a nicer sheep; it was so firm and beautiful, and it came so fresh, just being like new killed."

HB Herald, Sat. May 18, 1895


EAKINS - On 17th May, 1895, at her mother's (Mrs DAVIE) residence, Clive square, NAPIER, Amelia Margaret Emma EAKINS, wife of John Arthur EAKINS. Deeply regretted.
Interment private.

Inspector PENDER is to go Home to bring out Leonard HARPER. We trust the veteran officer will enjoy his well-earned trip.

We regret to hear that Constable HARVEY (the Port Admiral) is laid up with a severe attack of rheumatism. May he soon be back on the beat again! Constable CREEKS has taken the welfare of the Port into his hands until that happy time arrives

HB Herald, Mon. May 20, 1895

The funeral of the late Mr Percy VAUGHAN, which took place on Saturday, was largely attended by sympathisers and friends. The body was interred in the HASTINGS cemetery, the Rev. J. HOBBS conducting the last sad rites, and the choir of St. Matthew's Church sang an anthem at the grave.
HB Herald, Tues. May 21, 1895

At the S.M. Court yesterday morning two boys named respectively John CAMPBELL and Harry GILL were fined 10s and costs 7s each for riding round street corners at faster than a walking pace.

At the S.M. Court yesterday morning, before Mr TURNBULL, S.M., Frederick TIFFEN was charged with cruelly treating a fox terrier dog by striking it against a verandah post. Defendant, who was represented by Mr HUMPHRIES, pleaded not guilty, and said though he did smack the dog's head against a verandah post it was not done violently. Evidence for the prosecution was given by Messrs Walter LYNDEN, S.J. FREEMAN, and M. LASCELLES, and a fine of ?2 with costs was recorded against the defendant.

Dr. LINNEY having certified that deceased died from heart disease, it is not considered necessary to hold an inquest on the body of the late George HATHERALL, whose sudden death at HASTINGS was chronicled yesterday.

Quite a shock was caused in NAPIER yesterday when it became known that Mr J. GRUBB, Assitant Inspector of Post-offices, had died suddenly in AUCKLAND the previous evening. Mr GRUBB was for many years postmaster at NAPIER, where his obliging disposition and strict attention to business made him a host of warm friends. He was one of the smartest officers in the service, possessing an instinctive shrewdness and foresight which, had he devoted himself to commercial pursuits, would have placed him in the front rank of business men. He would shortly have been entitled to a pension, when he looked forward to coming back to NAPIER.

HB Herald, Thurs. May 23, 1895


SPEEDY - At BURAVIEW, on the 16th May, Fanny Beatrice, the beloved daughter of John and Diana SPEEDY, aged 16 years and 1 month.

A quiet wedding was celebrated at St. Matthew's Church, HASTINGS, yesterday, the Rev. Canon St. HILL being the celebrant. The contracting parties were Miss G. COLLISON and Mr Thomas HOLDEN. The choir of St. Matthew's were present, and sang two appropriate hymns, and the organist played the "Wedding March" at the conclusion of the ceremony.

The following will represent the Harriers against Clive on Saturday next:-

Full-back, W. CHEER

Three-quarters, AWHI, STEVENS, and GARRY



Emergencies, F. LYST, JACK, L. JOLL, and PARSONS.
HB Herald, Fri. May 24, 1895


At St. Andrew's Church, HULLS, on May 15th, by the Rev. F.D. RUSSELL, Horace Weston, sixth son of William KLINGENDER, Esq., of Riverdale, PATEA, to Rachel, second daughter of Rhys THOMAS, Upper Tutaenui, MARTON.

We are glad to hear that Constable HARVEY has resumed duty at the Port, having got the better of the rheumatism which laid him low for a time.

The local police have received information that all efforts to recover the body of John VIDDLER, who was drowned in the Akiteo river, as the result of a boating accident on the 19th instant, have proved ineffectual, and it is surmised that the corpse of the unfortunate man floated right out to sea, the river at the time of the fatality being in a high state of flood.

On Wednesday night the engine of the express train struck a boulder lying on permanent way near the gasworks, with the result that the cross brake shaft was broken and the engine was slightly damaged otherwise. Detective KIRBY being informed of the occurrence arrested a youth named CROW on suspicion of having placed the obstacle on the line. The accused will appear before the Bench this mlorning to answer the charge.

We are informed that the boy CROW, who was arrested on suspicion of placing the boulder on the railway line near the gasworks, made his escape from the police barracks yesterday morning, but was promptly recaptured after a short sprint.

A fortunate escape from a fatal accident happened at the crossing of Emerson and Dalton streets yesterday morning. An infant was observed to run close under the head of a horse attached to a dray laden with timber. The driver, who was seated on the load, immediately pulled up, and Mr BIRD, foreman of Messrs WILSON and Co.'s boot store, rushed out and rescued the child, who was under the horse's legs. Beyhond one or two bruises caused by the hoofs of the animal, the little fellow was uninjured. The rescue was a smart one, and Mr BIRD deserves great credit for his promptitude.

HB Herald, Sat. May 25, 1895

The boy CROW, charged with placing a boulder on the railway near the gasworks, appeared at the S.M. Court yesterday morning, being reprsented by Mr C.D. KENNEDY. On the application of the police a remand was granted till Monday next.

An accident of a most remarkable nature occurred on the REDCLYFFE bridge on Thursday last. It appears that Mrs CODD was driving over the bridge, accompanied by a lady friend and child about 10 months old. The horse suddenly shied whilst crossing the bridge, and the result of this was that the child was thrown from its mother's arms over the rails into the TUTAEKURI river, a distance of fully 30 feet. The little one, strange to say, floated down the river for about fifty yards, being probably held up by its clothes, and was eventually rescued by a Mr WATERHOUSE, who was in the vicinity, and who had to wade into the water waist deep, apparently none the worse for the accident, and sustaining as far as we can learn, no damage from its sudden immersion, although it was several minutes in the chilly water.
At the S.M. Court yesterday before Mr TURNBULL S.M

HB Herald, Mon. May 27, 1895

VAUGHAN - At midnight on the 25th May, at WAIWERA, Ernest, second son of R.G. VAUGHAN, of HASTINGS.

CATHERWOOD - On 9th April, at 23, Charles square, Hexton, LONDON, E.C., Mrs CATHERWOOD, relict of the late Dr. CATHERWOOD, and aunt of Mr C.W.C. GIBSON, late of NAPIER, aged 74.


Mr James STEER, an old residednt of WAIROA, died on Friday, aged 60. He was buried yesterday, a large number of the representatives of the local Court Lord CLYDE, A.O.F., being present to pay a last tribute of respect to their departed brother.

Mr A. ECCLES informs us that he is now thoroughly established in his new premises at HASTINGS, which have been built specially for the conduct of a large chemist's and druggist's business. Mr ECCLES' name has been so long before the public that nothing further need be said except that the purity of his drugs and chemicals is well known in HAWKE'S BAY.

A large crowd assembled in the S.M. Court on Saturday morning, when Mrs LAWS was brought before Mr TURNBULL, S.M., charged

(1) That on the 30th October she did steal the sum of ?100, the property of Thomas Coupland HARDING and others (trustees of the Rechabite Tent), and

(2) That on the 30th October she did forge a receipt for ?110 5s, and knowing it to be forged did deal with it as if it were genuine.

Detective KIRBY asked for a remand till Friday next to allow the prosecution to prepare their case and make arrangements for other charges. The remand was granted. Mr DINWIDDIE represented the accused.

Mrs LAWS, who is now awaiting trial on different charges of dishonesty acquiring money, was arrested by the SYDNEY police on a warrant from WELLINGTON within a few minutes of the departure of a mail boat Homeward bound in which she had taken passage. When the accused was searched, only the small sum of 2s 2d was found amongst her belongings, and the whereabouts of the money she is alleged to have dishonestly acquired is still a mystery.

After appearing at the Water Police Court, SYDNEY, and being remanded, Mrs LAWS met with a serious accident which necessitated her detention in a hospital for seven days. The horses attached to the prison van, in which she and a number of other prisoners were being conveyed to the goal, bolted, and the vehicle capsized, being dragged some distance, many of the occupants, including Mrs LAWS, being considerably knocked about. The unfortunate woman brought back with her from SYDNEY her four months' old baby, which had accompanied her on her journey.
HB Herald, Mon. May 27, 1895

Within the brief space of ten days Mr and Mrs R.E. VAUGHAN, of HASTINGS, have been called upon to sustain a terrible bereavement. While two of their sons were laid down at their own house with tyhphooid fever, another son at the WAIROA was stricken with the same disease. On the 15th instant PERCY, the older son, succumbed at HASTINGS. Towards the end of last week telegrams of a surprising nature arrived from WAIROA, and on Sunday afternoon about 5 o'clock, a telegram was received stating that ERNEST, aged 21 years, had also fallen a victim to the fever's ravages.

The Rev. John HOBBS, who had visited the bereaved family, made the news known during the evening service at St. Matthew's Church, and in place of his announced serman, said that he was unable to deliver it, being much moved. He dwelt upon the varikous phases of sorrow, and said their only antidote was spiritual recognition and hope. Two funeral hymns were sung, and the "Dead March is Saul" was played, whilst the large congregation stood in silent sympathy.

The sorrowing parents and family will have some consolation in knowing that their terrible sorrow is shared with them by their many friends in the district.
HB Herald, Tues. May 28, 1895



At LONDON, on May 20th, Frederic Huth MEINERTZHAGEN.

The body of the late Ernest VAUGHAN will probably be brought down from WAIROA to be buried in the HASTINGS cemetery.

A son of Mr E. BOURGEOIS had an arm broken on Saturday through falling while jumping from a fence.

Messrs GLENDINNING and Sons have completed their contract for the completion of the MOHAKA bridge, which is now open for traffic.

We call the attention of our readers to the organ recital to be given in the Cathedral tonight by Mr SHARP. Another admirable programme has been prepared for the occasion. The recital commences at 8 o'clock.

Yesterday afternoon Mr TURNBULL, Registrar, granted an order for the adjudication in bankruptcy of S.R. NORTHE of HASTINGS, on the petition of A.T. GORDON. Mr LEWIS appeared to support the application.

Many old friends of Mr MEINERTZHAGEN will be sorry to learn of his demise in LONDON on 20th instant. He left NAPIER in 1879 on an extended tour through AMERICA and the Continent of EUROPE, and was again amongst us in 1885, but very shortly after left for ENGLAND, where he resided until his death. He leaves three daughters. Deceased was in his 49th year.

Two juvenile patients are at present being treated in the hospital for diphtheria, one the son of Mr H. LIMBRICK, and the other a son of Mr SOMMERVILLE, of White road. Both were in a very serious condition and were treated with anti-toxin, in the latter case tracheotomy being also found necessary. On inquiry at the hospital late last night we learned that both were progressing satisfactorily.

At the S.M. Court yesterday morning, John MARTIN pleaded "Not Guilty" to a charge of drunkenness.......He was fined 5s, and ordered to pay costs totalling ?1 11s 6d. In connection with the same matter W.R. LEES, the owner of the cab, was charged as the licensed driver, with being drunk.

We are pleased to learn that Mr T.W. BALFOUR, who after 33 years' service in the Bank of New Zealand, during the last 17 of which he filled the position of manager in this town, does not intend leaving NAPIER when he severs his connection with that institution on Tuesday next, the 4th June. We understand he has secured offices in Mr COOPER's premises opposite the Post and Telegraph Office, next to the New Zealand Shipping Company, where he intends commencing business as insurance, land, estate, and general agent, sharebroker, &c, at the beginning of next month, and no doubt from his long experiences and general knowledge of the town and district he will soon acquire business. We heartily wish him every success in his new venture.

The lad Adam CROWE, who is age nine years, appeared at the S.M. Court yesterday morning charged with wilfully placing an obstruction, to wit, a large stone about 30 lb in weight, on the railway line near the gasworks. Mr KENNEDY appeared for the accused, who pleaded not guilty. Evidence was given by Robert DURANT, engine driver, Sydney SYKES, locomotive fireman, and Detective KIRBY as to the circumstance of the train colliding with the stone, and the boy's subsequent arrest on suspicion, similar to the details of which have already appeared in these columns.

Evidence as to the good character of the boy was given by Mr C.H. EDWARDS, Manager of the Gas Company, Miss R. CHEGWIDDEN, school teacher, and Mr A.H. HERON, Sunday school superintendent. The former said boys were in the habit of throwing stones on the line.

The accused, giving evidence on his own behalf, admitted that he had placed a stone on the line, but denied that the stone produced in Court was the one which he had put there. Mrs CROWE, the boy's mother, and Elizabeth CROWE, his sister, deposed that the boy went home on the night of the accident about 5 o'clock, and did not go outside again.

After Mr KENNEDY had addressed the Bench, pointing out that the evidence for the prosecution lacked corroboration, that malice had not been proved, and that in all probability this particular stone had been placed on the line by some other boy, Mr TURNBULL said, taking into consideration the boy's truthfulness and good character, and the doubt which existed about the stone, he would dismiss the case. At the same time he hoped this case would prove a lesson to boys who were known to be in the habit of placing stones on the railway line.

HB Herald, Wed. May 29, 1895

Mrs SHEATH, a well-known former resident of NAPIER, whose musical attainments and histrionic gifts made her the most popular of local stage performers, was married on Thursday last in WELLINGTON to Mr F.W. COPE, who is in the employ of REUTER's Telegraph Agency Company.
A case heard at the S.M. Court yesterday morning should be a warning to advance agents of theatrical companies, Mr J. VIGOR BROWN, acting for the Theatre Royal Company, obtaining a verdict of ?30 with costs against the well-known firm of WILLIAMSON and MUSGROVE, who engaged the Theatre Royal from March 4th to 9th, and who neither appeared no sent along the rent.

Last evening a very pleasing ceremony took place at Messrs GLASSFORD and HERON's establishment in Emerson street.

Mr George WARREN, head bread baker for the firm, who learned his trade with Mr HERON, and rose by merit to the leading position he now occupies, is about to be married today at HAVELOCK, and those among whom he has worked so long took the opportunity on the eve of his wedding to present him with tokens of their regard...........

The funeral of the late Ernest VAUGHAN will take place today. The body, which is being brought from WAIROA, will arrive at HASTINGS by train at half past three, where it will be met by the funeral party. The cortege will proceed from the railway station to deceased's late residence, where a portion of the burial service will be read, before proceeding to the cemetery

HB Herald, Thurs. May 30, 1895


WILLIAMS - At Te AUTE, on May 25th, Clemont, infant son of Rev. Arthur F. WILLIAMS.


Mr C. Tilleard NATUSCH, well-known in MASTERTON and the FORTY-MILE BEACH districts as a first-class architect, has been charged with the erection of four shops in HASTINGS, and calls tenders for the erection thereof. We understand Mr NATUSCH intends embracing HASTINGS and NAPIER in the scope of his future operations.

Mr G. REVANS, who for many years has been a capable and trusted employee of the Bank of New Zealand, who for the last eight or nine years has been stationed at NAPIER, and whose friends are legion, will retire from his connection with that institution at the end of this month on a well-earned pension. We learn that Mr REVANS is likely to remain in NAPIER and launch out in business on his own account.

A football match, RIVALS v. TRADESMEN, was played on the Recreation Ground yesterday. The game was of a most interesting nature, resulting in a win for the TRADESMEN by 26 points to 6. For the losing team J. FRASER and R. WAITE scored, but failed to improve. For the winners J. WICK, J. BROWN, H. PIRIE, and H.B. STALLARD scored tries, one only being converted, and F. LAWS potted three goals. Mr NORRIS acted as referee.

The funeral of the late Ernest VAUGHAN, which took place at HASTINGS yesterday, was very largely attended by settlers from far and near. The body was taken from the train to the residence of the deceased's father, where the first part of the funeral service was read by the Rev. John HOBBS. The choir of St. Matthew's, who were present, sang "One Let Him Whose Sorrow," very impressively, after which the cortege proceeded to the cemetery, where the last sad rites were conducted, the choir at the termination of the service singing "On the Resurrection Morning."

HB Herald, Sat. June 1, 1895


DODDS - At Napier Hospital, on 30th May, William DOODS, aged 29 years.
Interment at DANEVIRKE - T. DURNEY, Undertaker.

GRAY - At his residence, at KAIKORA NORTH, on May 31st, Ebenezer GRAY, aged 46. Deeply regretted.
The funeral will leave his late residence for the new cemetery, KAIKORA NORTH, on Sunday, June 2nd, at 2 p.m.

We understand that Constable RUTLEDGE has been appointed to the charge of the TARADALE police district, in succession to Constable LEITCH, who resigned some time ago. Constable RUTLEDGE has proved himself a most efficient officer, and the appointment is well-merited and judicious, we should say.

HB Herald, Mon. June 3, 1895

Mr PITCAITHLEY, B.A., second master of the NAPIER District School, was on Saturday presented by Mr E.D. LESLIE, on behalf of a number of teachers who have been receiving special instruction from him, with a handsome set of plated dessert ware in memento of their appreciation of his services

Mr W. WOOD, headmaster of the High School, has, we regret to learn, been very ill of late. He went down to WELLINGTON en route to BLENHEIM, to consult Dr. CLEGORN, but was so unwell that he was obliged to remain in WELLINGTON for a day or two. Then he decided to retrace his steps, and came back by steamer to NAPIER on Saturday.

An accident of a serious nature occurred to Mr Thomas HORNE of HASTINGS yesterday. He was out driving, accompanied by one of his children, when through some unexplained cause his horse bolted, with the result that the vehicle was overturned in Queen street, and the occupants were thrown violently out on to the road. Mr HORNE was found to be so seriously hurt that he had to be conveyed home in a drag, and is now in the hands of a doctor.

The Examiner reports that Mr C. HALL, M.H.R., is in the doctor's hands.

The vital statistics of NAPIER for May are:-
Births 24
Mariages 12
Deaths 11.

Messrs WILSON and DAVIES, dentists, have removed their HASTINGS branch from WILLIAMS and KETTLE's buildings to
Mr ECCLES', chemist.

HB Herald, Tues. June 4, 1895
The Rev. W. COLENSO, F.R.S., met with a painful accident last week, getting one of his thumbs jammed by the door of a railway carriage.

Mr A. TURNBULL, S.M., dealt yesterday morning with police cases as follows:-

Mary BURKE, who had been arrested on Saturday evening in the vicinity of the Provincial Hotel, for creating a disturbance was dismissed with a caution, as she was a first offender and had been locked up since Saturday evening.

W.L. LEES, charged with being drunk while in charge of a cab , was represented by Sir W. WASTENEYS, and pleading guilty was let off with a fine of 10s and costs 17s 6d.

H. ROGERS, for plying for hire at the railway without a license, was fined 1s and costs 7s.

Three yhouths, TOOP, LAWRY, and M'GRATH, were charged with disorderly conduct at an early hour on Monday morning in the White road. The first two were fined 10s and costs or 48 hours. The last, who had been allowed bail, forfeited his deposit, ?1 2s, for failing to appear in answer to the charge

HB Herald, Wed. June 5, 1895

McALLISTER - At the NAPIER Hospital, on June 4th, 1895, Donald McALLISTER, aged 45 years. (AUCKLAND and WELLINGTON papers please copy.)

The funeral will leave the NAPIER cemetery at 3.30 to-day (Wednesday).

T. DURNEY, Undertaker
Mr PITCAITHLEY was presented with a set of gold sleeve-links by his pupils of the sixth standard of the NAPIER district school yesterday.

The Examiner says that Mr JARDINE, master of the MAUGA-ATUA school, was thrown from his horse at WOODVILLE on Monday. Dr. MILNE took two hours to stitch up the wounds in his head and face.

An infant son of Mr T. BOWE, a well-known settler of FOXTON, met with his death under painful circumstances on Saturday last. The child was eating a piece of carrot, which became embedded in its throat, and death resulted from suffocation. Much sympathy has been expressed with the parents of the unfortunate victim of the accident.

A woman named Jessie JOHNSTON, a resident of CLIVE, appeared at the S.M. Court yesterday morning to answer a charge of having no lawful visible means of support. The woman presented a wild and haggard appearance, and was obvviously "not quite herself." Mr TURNBULL decided to remand the woman for a week for medical examination.

Mary BURKE, another unfortunate somewhat similarly situated, was ordered to pay ?1 and costs or go to gaol for seven days for dunkenness.


An interesting marriage took place yesterday afternoon at the Cathedral, Dean HOVELL officiating, when Mr Charles WYATT, of WELLINGTON, was united in matrimony with Miss Maria STARKEY, daughter of Mr T. STARKEY, of Hastings street.

There was a large number of onlookers, principally ladies, and at the conclusion of the ceremony the parties were plentifully besprinkled with rice.

The bride was given away by her father, and was attended by Miss RYDER. Mr H.P. WYATT, brother of the bridegroom, acted as best man.

HB Herald, Thurs. June 6, 1895
We understand that Mr GLEESON has sold the lease of the Provincial Hotel to a WELLINGTON resident

The secretary to the hospital acknowledges with thanks a parcel of illustrated papers from Miss CAMPBELL, POUKAWA.

The lad STARKEY was brought before Mr F. SUTTON, J.P., yesterday morning, charged with stealing ?3 17s from the residence of John HANNA, Owen street, and remanded till today on the application of the police, who will probably ask for his committal to an industrial school.


Mr S. RIDGWAY, who has for some years been in the well-known business of Messrs BURNET and Co., has purchased their HASTINGS branch from that firm, and will now conduct it on his own account.

HB Herald, Thurs. Fri. June 7, 1895


HIGGINS - At NAPIER, on the 6th June, 1895, William Charles, aged 3 years 7 months, son of Mr John HIGGINS.

The funeral will leave the parents' residence, Marine parade, at 2.30 to-morrow (Saturday), 8th inst., for the NAPIER cemetery.

T. DURNEY, Undertaker.

Detective KIRBY arrested a boy named William STARKEY, between 10 and 11 years of age, last night on suspicion of stealing the sum of ?3 17s from a dwelling. He will appear at the S.M. Court this morning to answer the charge.

Mr G. ROSS, who has been working on Mr G.T. HALL's section at MAKURI, has shown the Examiner a remarkable discovery he made there, namely the vertebrae of a whale embedded in limestone. This is an important discovery from a geological point of view.
HB Herald, Sat. June 8, 1895


JULL - On June 7th, at WAIPAWA, Charles Aubrey, son of Mr A.E. JULL, aged 2 months. - Interment private.


KEATING-LEITH - At TAUPO, on May 29th, 1895, by the Rev. Father SMEARS, John Joseph, second son of John KEATING, of NAPIER, to Christina Mary, second daughter of James LEITH, of AUCKLAND.

HB Herald, Mon. June 10, 1895r

In response to several requests, and in order to suit the convenience of pupils residing in the vicinity, Mr W.T. SHARP has decided to give pianoforte and singing lessons in future at Messrs MILNER and THOMPSON's on Wednesday and Saturday mornings.

The police arrested a man named Francis THOMPSON on Saturday at NAPIER on a charge of failing to provide for the maintenance of an illegitimate child at WOODVILLE. He will be brought before the Bench today, and will probably be remanded to WOODVILLE.


CAVERHILL - On June 7th, 1895, at GREYTOWN, WAIRARAPA, Mary Adeline, beloved wife of Charles R. CAVERHILL, and only daughter of J.H. BALDWIN, MEANEE, HAWKE'S BAY, aged 23 years. WELLINGTON papers please copy

Those in quest of some real prime beef will do well to attend the sale announced by the HAWKE'S BAY Farmers' Co-operative Association, Limited, at STORTFORD LODGE yards, HASTINGS, at 1.30 p.m. on Wednesday next. The cattle are a very superior lot of bullocks, and come from Mr Douglas M'LEAN's herd, MARAEKAKAHO.

The boy William STARKEY pleaded guilty to the charge of stealing ?3 17s from the residence of John HANNA at the S.M. Court on Saturday morning. Mr CRESSWELL, who represented the accused, asked that he be leniently dealt with, as it was proposed to send him into the country and away from temptation. Mr TURNBULL decided to give him an opportunity to commence a fresh career, and ordered that he be convicted and discharged.

A narrow escape from drowning occurred on Saturday afternoon off the Eastern Spit. Mr Walter JOHNSON of the Deeds Office was on his way to the pier when he noticed an object floating on the surface of the water some 60 to 80 yards from the shore, and on hurrying to the beach saw that it was the body of a child. Mr JOHNSON, who was suffering from a severe cold, immediately divested himself of his clothing and swam out and brought the child to the shore, to all appearnce lifeless, and summoned the assistance of Messrs HAWKE and PEAKE. The child, which proved to belong to Mr Dennis M'CARTHY, was taken to the house of Mr HUNT, and Dr. MENZIES was telephoned for. After two hours' rubbing and the necessary restoratives having been applied, the child regained consciousness. Mr JOHNSON was supplied with dry clothing by one of the neighbors, and was driven home by Dr. MENZIES.


A sad accident occurred at WAIPUKURAU on Thursday afternoon. A youth named PILCHER in company with another young man went out duck shooting in the lake. PILCHER was wading in a lagoon putting out decoys, when he suddenly caught sight of some ducks, and hastily snatched up his gun as it lay in the boat by the barrels. In doing so one of the hammers caught against the seat, and on being released fell on the nipple and exploded, sending the charge through the palm of his hand and wrist, shattering the bones nearly to the elbow. He was taken to the county hospital, where Drs. GODFRAY and REED amputated the arm at the elbow joint.

HB Herald, Tues. June 11, 1895

A scholar at the PORT AHURIRI district school named Lily HERON met with a nasty accident yesterday afternoon. It appears that she was exercising on one of the ring swings when she suddenly let go and fell to the ground, breaking one of her arms just above the wrist. She was taken to her home by Mr TRIMMER, the second master, and medical aid was called in.

At the meeting of the Wanderers' Bicycle Club last evening it was decided that the members should give Mr J.O. SHORLAND all the assistance possible in his efforts to establish a 100 miles amateur record, provided that proper arrangements were made.

Mr SHORLAND will probably start on his self-imposed task tomorrow on the Recreation Ground.

At the S.M. Court yesterday morning,

Francis THOMPSON, charged with failing to support his illegitimate child was remanded to WOODVILLE, where the case will be heard on Thursday. Bail was allowed, accused in ?50 and two sureties of ?25 each.

Jessie JOHNSTON was ordered to be committed to gaol for 14 days for vagrancy.

William M'INTYRE was fined 5s and costs 14s, for working a bus horse while suffering from a sore shoulder.

William LeBAS, Thomas PRATER, and William GEBBIE, were each fined 2s 6d with costs for plying for hire on railway premises without a license.

A charge against William BOYD of using indecent language was dismissed. Mr CRESSWELL represented plaintiff, and Mr LUSK appeared for defendant.

2002-2008 Barbara Andrew