Some of the residents up to abt 1940
The information on these pages is for genealogy research only. It may be linked to but not copied in any form without the owners permission
ADAMSON, Mrs MARY was a postmistress in 1908 she died in 1933 aged 66.
AGENT, ALFRED and PAULINE at school in 1943
ALLAN, JOHN a ferryman in 1870
ALLDRIDGE, RUSSELL EDWARD at school 1941
AMBERGER, PHILLIP lived there in 1920
APPLETON, RAYMOND at school in 1941
ARBON, ARTHUR baker 1919
ARNOLD, H had a blacksmiths shop
AUTHEMAN, CECIL had a house built in 1925
AUTHEMAN, Mrs ANNA school-teacher 1918-20
AVERY, LESLIE at school in 1934
BACKMAN, ALEXANDER at school in 1929
BAIRD, MALVERN at school 1921
BATT, JIM, ROY, ALFRED and IVAN at school-1943
BELL, WILLIAM a ferry-man in 1870
BERRY, WILLIAM was from Warwickshire, England b, 24th March 1867.
BERRY, VIC son of William b, Feb 1916.at Hari Hari.
BLACK, FRED left school at the age of 11 to work for J.J.McKay
BLACKMAN, BLANCHE MARY and CHARLOTTE ELIZA at school in 1935
BOYD, WILLIAM PHILLIP built a hut in 1910
BRAZZELS, DINNIE in the area in 1905
BURNSIDE, THOMAS, HELEN and GEORGE at school- 1923
BURROWS, HELENA MARIE on land in 1910
BURROWES, GORDON and SHIRLEY at school in 1933
BUTLER, JOHN FRANCIS came from Okarito in 1884. He moved to Whataroa in 1905.
CAMERON, THOMAS JOHN at school 1935
CARLEY, FRANK foreman of a road gang
CASSELLS, JACK LYELL pupil in 1933
CHINN, W a bullock team driver. lived in a 2 roomed hut in 1907
CHISNALL, WALTER licensee of the Hotel in Oct 1929
CLARE, CHARLIE was a horse teamster
CLAY, DOUGLAS school-teacher 1927-31
COLLETT, JACK and MICK roadmen in 1901
CONNELLY, NGAIRE ISABEL at school in 1941
COOPER, ARTHUR had a house built in 1909 He had a Harness shop in 1907
COOPER, EDNA DULCIE at school- 1921
CROAWELL, DAVID at school-1929
CRON, OLIVE, MONICA , LESLIE, HAZEL and ELVA at school-1939
DAEKON, CECIL at school in 1936
DANNIER, FLORENCE school-teacher 1887
DARRAH, Mr had a store in 1919
DAVY, CHARLES sold his farm to the Fergusons
DENIA, RACHEL school-teacher 1889
DENSEM, NOEL lived there in 1950
DIEDRICH, JOHN there in 1926
DONAGHUE, ROBERT roadman in 1904
DONAVAN, THOMAS FRANCIS and MARY at school in 1922
DOUGLAS, CLIFFORD at school in 1935
DUNCAN, BILLY and wife MARGARET ANN came from Hokitika. Billy and son Jimmy helped build some of the early houses.
ERQUHART, ALEX had a Hotel built.
FAIRHALL, REX WILLIAM and MAY at school in 1928
FERGUSON Brothers were the 1st Settlers .
FERGUSON, SAMUEL GEORGE marr Helen Dunlop.
FERGUSON, HENRY BROWN drowned in the Big Waitaha River.
FERGUSON, THOMAS SAMUEL died in ChCh Hospital at age 52.
FERGUSON, Mrs JANET drowned in the Mikonui river in Nov 1909
FORD, TOM had a house built in 1916
FOSTER, ROBERT, GRACE and JOHN EDWARD at school 1929
GERK, GEORGE a mailman killed in a accident at Cooks river
GIBSON, ALF a roadman in 1904
GILL, MAY married Harold Hende in 1915
GILTRAP, GEORGE, ERNEST and JOSEPH at school in 1925
GLASS, CHARLES PETER b, 1874. marr ELIZABETH COOK 1895. They had 8 children
GLASS, JAMES NATHAN b, May 1905 marr Catherine Marie Fahey
GLASS, JESSIE died 31st Jan 1901 aged 2 years.
GLASS, CHARLIE died aged 51 years.
GRAHAM, DAVE aND JACK moved from Ross
GRAHAM, JEANIE marr George Robertson 24th July 1929
GREEN, WILLIAM HENRY b, Sept 1838 from London arr N.Z in 1862
GROWCOTT, THOMAS lived there in 1905
HADDOCK, PATRICK JOHN bought a large block of land in 1901 and split it up amongst his 4 sons.
HADDOCK, TOM returned from the war in Feb 1916
HADDOCK, Mrs FRANK died feb 1932
HADDOCK, EUGENE worked on a road gang and later settled on land.
HANSEN, PETER had 4 cows shot by stock inspector in Jan 1916.
HANSEN, OTTO killed at war 1918
HARLE, ANNIE school-teacher 1921
HAY, DANIEL school-teacher 1947-53
HENDE, PETER est a Ferry service in 1878. Became the 1st Postmaster 1880.Peter and Caroline Hende came from Denmark. They had 7 children.
HENDE, JEN JENSON Snr died 8th Jan 1903(probably from the effects of a accident when his horse fell on him.)
HEWER, JACK had a farm, he was from the North Island and arr here in 1919
HEWER, TED was a butcher for a while in 1929
HOLLEY, TOM there in 1928
HOLLEY, EDNA, LILY, EILEEN, JACK , CLIFFORD and SYDNEY at school in 1924
IRWIN, RICHARD at school in 1927
JAMIESON, ALEX brought a store in 1911.also had a boarding house in 1912
JOHNSTON, JOYCE BELLE at school in 1924
KARNBACH, WILLIAM marr ANN ELIZABETH GRAHAM 23rd Jan 1873. they had 12 children..
KELLY, TOM school-teacher 1937-43
KIDD, HARRY had a house built in 1925
KIDD, THOMAS FRANCIS at school in 1936
KING, ROBERT MUIR formerly worked on the roads and later took up land
KING, HUGH CAMPBELL " " " "
KIRBY, EDNA, GRACE, ARTHUR and EDWARD at school in 1924
KYLE, BRUCE at school in 1935
LAMBERTON, LORNA at school in 1933
LEVETT, HARRY and BILL
LEWIS, HENRY leased the Hotel 1926 to 1929
LUCAS, CHARLES DONALD was born in Australia in 1872. was in Hari Hari in 1901 and married Anna Hende 1907. Anna Lucas died in June 1920 aged 41 years
LUCAS, PETER JOHN son of above b, Jan 1908 married Margarita Thiele
LUCAS, CHARLES JAMES b, 1912. and THOMAS b, June 1920 marr Valerie Searle
LYNSKEY, BRIAN school-teacher in 1944-46
MCCONNON, W.T from Greymouth, leased the local Hotel for a short while.
MCDONALD, GEORGE school-teacher 1932-34
MCLENNON, JOHN housebuilder 1906
MCMILLAN, PAT and BOB butchers Oct 1928
MCMILLIAN, JACK and ARTHUR at school in 1925
MCNICHOL,MARGARET school-teacher 1905-06 MCPHERSON, HANNAH there in 1909
MALONEY, MARTYN in Hari Hari in 1910.
MANSHIP, LONA LILIAS at school in 1936
MEHARRY, BOB county overseer
MICHELL, CORAL and LESLIE at school in 1924
MITCHELL, PERCY and ERIC bridge builders 1943
MITCHELL, FRANCIS, SAMUEL, AGNES, MYRTLE and AYLMER at school in 1927
MINEHAN, JAMES and brother JEREMIAH FRANCIS took up land in 1908 and est a small sawmill. James marr MARY LOUISE HARRIS
MOONEY, TOM lived in a hut south of Grahams Creek
MOORE, NOEL at school in 1933
MORRISH, GEORGE HAMISH formerly a road man , later took up land.
MUIR, JEAN MARGARET at school in 1933
MURPHY, THERESA school-teacher in 1900-08
NANCEKIVELL, ALICE school-teacher 1909-11
NEILSEN, CHARLES, HENRY and ROBERT moved to Hari Hari
NOLAN, Mrs PADDY died 25th Sept 1903
NORMAN, CHARLES PHILLIP b, 1839 in the Channel Islands.travelled to Australia after gold in 1858, then Otago. He built the Kokatahi Hotel in 1886
NORTHCROFT, NANCY and FLORENCE at school in 1927
OATES, DORIS HAZEL at school in 1937
OWENS, BASIL, WILLIAM and VICTOR at school 1925
OXENAM, ERNEST and JOHN at school in 1922
PALMER, THOMAS, WALTER, DOUGLAS, MARGARET and JOAN at school in 1927 PAMMENT, FRED a service car driver in 1920 .. Fred and May Pamment took over a farm in 1933
PATRICK, ANNA school-teacher 1912-17
PAUSEN, VIC a mill worker
PEARSON,VIC bridge-builder in 1943
PETERSON, HANS JACOB b, 1835 in Denmark marr CHRISTINE HENDE. Hans was, amongst other things, a boat builder. their children were Peter (went to Australia) METTA (marr Frank Bukingham from nelson) ANNA marr a Mr McGoldrich and lived in Invercargill and CHRISTINA marr Charlie Shearer from Mikonui
PLATT, JACK and ELIZABETH at school in 1934
PURCELL, PAT there in 1904
OBRIEN, JACK a early resident.did all kind of jobs .
ODONNELL, PADDY house burnt down in 1933
PERRY, GEORGE and GARNET there in 1920
PETERSON, JAN married a Hende girl.
RAMAGE, RON left area in 1925
REEDY, DANIEL a ferryman in 1870
REGNAULT, ELSIE MARGARET at school in 1934
ROBERTSON, GEORGE SCOTT died of blood poisoning aged 63 in 1920. he was a school-teacher in 1890/92. resigned from teaching in 1900. he was marr to Caroline Hende in June 1899 they had 3 sons ALAN, LOUIS and GEORGE
ROBERTSON, CAROLINE died sept 1927, aged 49 years
ROBERTSON, LES his house was built in 1925. In 1938 it burned down
ROSE, CHARLIE brought Augustus Thorpes land, sold it on to William Searle
ROSS, JAMES WOOLHOUSE on land here in 1913.
ROWLEY, GEORGE bought a store and land in 1928. His store burnt down in 1937
ROWLEY, JOHN, GREGOR and ROBIN at school in 1928
SCHRAM, KENNETH, COLIN and BEATRICE at school in 1926
SCOTT, STANLEY at school in 1924
SEARLE, TED and BERT butchers in 1928
SEARLE, WILLIAM b 19th Jan ..marr NELL MUIR in 1892 they had 7 sons
SEARLE, WILLIAM and sons JACK and GEORGE farmed land
SEARLE, GEORGE had a garage built in 1927
SHARLAND, JESSIE school-teacher 1922--1925
SHARP, WALTER school-teacher 1935
SHEARER, CHARLIE married NITA HEWER Sep 1916
SMITH, FREDERICK came from Gillespies in 1886. He moved to Whataroa in 1902.
SWEENEY, HAROLD PATRICK at school in 1938
THIELE, RITA born in 1912
THIELE, LUCY school teacher 1886,
THIELE, MARION school teacher 1887
THOMSON, JIM there in 1920
THORPE, AUGUSTAS HENRY a rimu miner, brought 356 acres of land in 1904
VITISKI, FRANK and WALTER roadmen in 1904
WADE, ROBERT WENTWORTH came from Hokitika in 1896.a roadman. lived in a hut at the top of Mount Herculies. Gave up this job sometime after 1899 and it was taken over by Charles Peter Glass
WALL, brothers WILLIAM, ALFRED and SAMUEL arr N.Z 1892 and after goldmining at Rimu, took up land at Hari Hari. another brother AMOS farmed at Kokatahi.
WALLACE, JAMES came from ireland
WALSH, VERONICA and KEVEN at school in 1932
WEENINK, D brought a farm off W CHINN in 1920
WELLER, BILLY here in 1904
WHITISKIE, MONA and MARTHA at school in 1925
WOODHAM, FRED lived there 1923.
WOODHAM, ARTHUR died in March 1920
WOOLHOUSE, James there in 1913
© Barbara Andrew 2002-2005
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids