Search billions of records on

Extracts of the Green Family
A Huge collection of transciptions from Hawkes Bay , Poverty Bay Newspaper
Painstakingly transcribbed by Elaine,and her wonderful team
Your Time has been appreciated and I am delighted to be allowed to put them on my site

The information on these pages is for genealogy research only. It may be linked to but not copied in any form without the owners permission
Cath Green Hampden School 1886-1888
Sewing was a specialty under Mrs Jane DOAR (Teacher 1883-1889.) In 1886
Florence BUCHANAN won Captain RUSSELL's prize competition gaining a sewing
machine as first prize for "patching and seating trousers". Cath GREEN
gained second
Prize of a workbox. Harriet INGRAM was highly commended
for stocking darning. Cath INGLIS and Laura HARKER took the prizes in
1887, and again in 1888 Maggie VESTY won the sewing machine. This competition
was open to all schools in the Hawke's Bay Education District and to win
thee years in succession was a considerable achievement.

George Green Influenza Epidemic 1918 Hampden
The day word arrived that World War One was over in 1918 the circus arrived in Tikokino. Two days later there was an outbreak of influenza in the village. Mrs A PARKINSON remembered that the circus folk got the blame for bring the "plague" to the healthy inhabitants. An inhalation chamber powered by a traction engine was installed in the village near the present store at the request of the Waipawa County Council. It was hoped that inhaling the medicinal steam would help cure the disease, but several local people died including Jim Mathews,George GREEN and Amy Isabel TICKNER Josiah HOWARD died of post influenza pneumonia.

Tilly Green 1960 Tikokino
In 1960 S.J.E.STEPHENSON from Waipawa established a branch at Tikokino on Jim GAIR's property in Buckland Street later shifting to Murchison Street onto property purchased from Tilly GREEN.

In 1972 REEVES Transport Tikokino sold out to S.J.STEPHENSON's Transport and that transport business is still operating today.

Blacksmith George Green
George GREEN was blacksmith from 1882. He set up a blacksmith shop in OwenStreet at one time employing several men to work the two forges. This shop became the Tikokino Garage as automobiles began to replace horse drawn vehicles; the garage being run in succession by Gibby OLDHAM, Bruce WHITWORTH and the Peter HARRIS. For a short time Tikokino could boast of two garages. A scond one stood for a number of years in the late 1950's and 1960's on the corner of Highway 50 and Sedgewick Street.


George Green was the Hampden blacksmith and is acknowledge as establishing the first blacksmith shop in the village, on the site of the old garage in Owen street in front of what is now, Mr Peter HARRIS's Garage and Workshop.

Sarah and George Neville GREEN left Suffolk, England, bound for New Zealand on the "Winchester". Disembarking at Napier they first settled at Taradale, later at Takapau and arrived at Hampden in the year 1882. Of the seven children that survived infancy, three girls Kate, Mary and Helen were often included in the prize list of the annual sewing examinations held in Hawke's Bay.

William the eldest son was born before his parents left England. He later took over his father's blacksmith shop before marrying a local girl.
Ada STOKES, and taking up a farm at Springhill. Charles the second son was born in New Zealand, married a Kereru girl, Matilda SIMMONS and they brought up five children in Hampden. There were two other boys Frank and George. A description appeared in the Waipawa Mail on September 13 1888 regarding the wedding of Miss Kate GREEN.

"On Monday evening our little township was very gay and lively. The ringing of bells, hammering of tins and firing off of guns lead one to believe something unusual was going on. Mr L ANDERSON led Miss K GREEN to the alter that day and the tin pot band were playing lively music to them. At 10.30pm a volley of shots was fired and immediately after some sweet music from a Concertina. Thos in
sleep who were awakened thought the Prussians were upon them. By midnight all was quiet."

In 1896 Mr GREEN build large stables and a coach house, both of which were to be used in connection with the Hampden Coach Service.
George GREEN remained in Hampden until his death on 14th May, 1904, aged 65 years. His wife Sarah later went to live with her daughter at Paki Paki and died on August 21st 1917.

2002-2005 Barbara Andrew