Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
DOVEDALE SCHOOL
(Nelson) 1869 and 1909
Compliments of
nola_moses@hotmail.com
The information on these pages is for genealogy research only. It may be linked to but not copied in any form without the owners permission
The old Dovedale school was built in 1869 ( it was demolished in 1969.) on land owned by a Mr John Thorn..The first commitee was elected on September 4th 1869 members were:
John Thorn, James Knell, James Wilson, Job Best, William Win and Hugh Kenyon: The first teacher being a Mr Severne of Riwaka:

Pupils in a photo of 1898 are.
COLEMAN, Ellice COZENS, Will EBAN, Violet and Ruby
FREEMAN, Amy and Stan LOVERIDGE, Len and ? PARKINSON, Marion, and Sarah,
SILCOCK, Claude, and Alf SMITH, Ivy and Edna THOMAS, Bert
THORN, Allan, Murial, Kath, Martin and John. TYRELL, Lottie VAUGHAN, Hope, and Claire,
WIN, Alex, Stanley, Evelyn, and Gertrude    
School photo of 1909 with some of the names above plus these:
Teachers Miss Turner and Mr Gapper COWIN, Pat, Frank and Bob COZENS, Noble and Mac
EBAN, Roy FREEMAN, Fred HALL, Ron, and Lance,
HAWKES, Nolan, Vic, and Marion THORN, Noel, Hugh, Edith, and Ken, VAUGHAN, John, Frank, Eric and Nita
WIN, Don, Fred, John, Mervyn, Eileen, Merle and Linda    
Barbara Andrew 2002-2005