Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

                    DEVONPORT POLICE

The first Police in Devonport were controlled by the Flagstaff Highway Board.
Later a member of the Armed Constabulary was stationed at Devonport. 
Then came the Municipal Police Act and then the
New Zealand  Government  
controlled the Police.

The Highway District Trustees, on March 25th. 1869, examined applications 
for the office of Constable, which had been received in response to adverts: 
Messrs. G. BANKS and C. BAILEY applied and Mr. BANKS was appointed 
at a salary of 3 a month, " to be increased from July next if he performed his duties 
efficiently". Commisioner NAUGHTON, of the Armed Police at
Auckland, complied 
with the request of the District Trustees and supplied a suit of clothing for Constable 
BANKS.

By September 27th. 1870, Constable S. GEE had succeeded Constable BANKS,
but  there is a gap of three months in the records, so it is not possible to
indicate why or how the change was made; but as he was paid 2.6s "on
account" of salary on September 27th. 1870, he presumably had taken up his 
duties   about the beginning of September. Constable GEE was also appointed,
October 12th. 1870, Inspector under the Thistle Act, Weeds and Water course
Act and Poundkeeper, at a salary of 12 per annum: and exclusive commission
on Dog Tax and Cattle Regulation Fees. These duties had been carried out
                                            previously by the Ranger.

  
PETITION TO THE GOVERNMENT TO REQUEST THAT A SPECIAL
          CONSTABLE BE STATIONED AT DEVONPORT. July 14. 1873.

T
homas BROHAM Esq.,
Inspector Armed Constabulary.

"Sir, We, the undersigned residents of the North Shore respectfully request
you will be good enough to permanently locate at the
North Shore, a member
of the  Armed Constabulary. The very large increase in the population of the District 
and the number of straying cattle render it absolutely necessary that a Constable who
  can devote his whole time should be located here, as the present 
pay allowed to special Constables does not enable them to devote  
sufficient time to the requirements  of the District.We shall be glad 
to learn that you will be enabled to comply with the request of the 
Residents in this increasing suburb of the City.
Your obedient servants:
 William AITKIN, R. & R. DUDER,  J. W. SWANSON,  G. C. KEMP,
 P. A. PHILLIPS JP. ,  Fred G. SOMERFIELD, John WYLES,  George RUST,
William MacSPORRAN,  John BASS, Charles BAILEY,  Wm. Hoile BROWN,
Arhtur BRADLEY, George BROWN, Wm. S. COCHRANE, John BRASSEY,
Chas. DACRE, J. W. FRASER, R. MACKAY, Edward BARTLEY, Wm.J.EVANS,
                                                        Israel HURST."

                Mr. Wm. BOND was nominated and duly appointed.   

In the middle of May, 1877, Constable DEWS A.C. was stationed at Devonport,
being the first of the specially trained police to be appointed.  On Augyst 27th.
1877, he became Sanitary Inspector for the District.

Constable MOOR, A.C. was appointed late in 1878, and Const. HUTCHINSON
                                             A.C. replaced him in 1882.

The first of the regular Police lived in the gable-end house close to where the
present Post Office was in 1924. At a later date a residence for the Police Officer
was rented in
Clarence Street. A new Police Station and Sergeants quarters
                            were provided in
Rattray Street, late in 1923.

The Trustees idea of the Duties appertaining to the Office of Policeman may
be gathered from the Resolution carried on Feb 4th. 1871, that Constable GEE
be offered a Salary of 1 per week, from Feb 1st.1871, for duties as Ranger,
Collector of Cattle Fees, Poundkeeper, Inspector under the Dog Nuisance
Act, Thistle Act, Weeds and Watercourses Act,  and, when his duties
permitted, to lend a hand in clearing watercourses and thistles and generally
                                                    make himself useful.

On May 9th. the Constable resigned , as the Trustees refused to indemnify
him for costs (12. 17s.6d) incurred in two actions versus Mr. ORMES
                                            (Butcher),
Victoria Road.

The Devonport Station was raised in status in 1878,  with Sergeant GILLIES
               taking control. Staff  from then until 1924 included:

Constable M. O'BRIEN.                 Constable John COTTER
Sergeant P. McGRATH                   Sergeant GILLIES (trsfd. to Thames)
Constable COLLIS                          Sergeant KELLY (trasfd. to Wellington)
Constable Dennis ROWLES         Constable McDONALD
Sergeant BASKIVILLE                    Constable WILLIAMSON
Constable WILLIAMS                    Constable MILLER(trsfd. to  Waipu)
Constable LOWRY                          Constable ROBERTS
Constable O'GRADY                      Constable DRISCOLL             
Constable BERRY                            Constable ECCLES
Constable McINTOSH                   Constable O'HARA
Constable MOLONEY                    Constable McCARTHY
Constable CLAYDON                     Constable CLIST
Constable T. CANNON                  Constable CAMPAGNOLI (trsfd. to Auck)
Constable FOWLER                        Sergeant LANDER
Sergeant HAMMOND                     Constable CANNON
Constable MALLABOND               Sergeant MILLER
Sergeant ROWELL                           Constable RUANE

                                Constable GIBBS.

bar64.gif (3871 bytes)