DEVONPORT NEW ZEALAND EARLY GOVERNMENT
In 1848 the setting up of
the "Hundred of Pupuke" gave the landholders
Among the first Council Members were Allan and James O'NEILL, who owned part of Stanley Point and the present O'Neills Point. Sir Frederick WHITAKER owned the 5 acre block fronting
Mr. W.J.HURST (whose name is perpetuated in
On Dec. 19th. 1851 the first By Laws were drawn up.. These were signed by Thomas POYNTON and P. MELAVIN.
The course of Politics was as rocky then as it is today. In 1853 an advertisement was inserted in the paper, protesting against the Election, for a variety of reasons.
The following names were appended to the Advertisement:
W. MENARY. B. MENARY. G.H. ALDRICH, ROBT. MACKAY, M.SHEA,
F.P. GARDNER, E. BIDDLE, W. DAVIS,
J. ANDREWS, H. WILSON, B. BUTTERWORTH W. TREVARTHEN,
R. PHILP, T. DUDER, A. ALISON, W. OLIVER, T. HAMMOND, E. HAMMOND,
R. EAMES, W. NICHOLSON,
P.MCNENNY, T. POYNTON.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids