The land comprising the Borough
of Devonport was part of a big
land purchase, made by the Governor, Capt. HOBSON, in 1840/41
about 12 months after the purchase of the City of
included in a deal that included all land from Rodney in the North
17th. January, 1854, when the entire Island, of 4,512 acres, with a
height of 854ft., was sold to the Crown for £15. This was signed by
the Owner, Na Nga Tai, and witnessed by John Grant JOHNSON,
(in the sea called Te Rapu) with Otata,
and Motukoropapa were sold to James MAXWELL for 10 casks, 4 D.B.
guns, 80 blankets, 1 box cartouch (cartridge?) boxes, 5 hats, 5 pair black
trousers. 5 goen pieces and 5 shawls.
In 1890 an enthusiast had some edible Crabs brought
on Rangitoto.. History does not record what happened to them! Then In 1892
Mr. Jno STUBBS was granted a lease of 5 acres of the
£5 per annum, to establish Salt Works. This venture did not prosper!
In 1896 Mr. T. O'MEAGHER (Tim Doolan), a Solicitor at Paeroa,
on Rangitoto - to make the
With the help of a donation from the Government
and the Devonport Ferry
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids