POLISH GLOSSARY & GUIDE.....
This page is designed to be a quick reference guide for answers to common questions pertaining to Polish genealogy and heritage. The table is indexed alphabetically by subject with short explanation or a link to a more detailed source. And, we've included a link to AmazonSearch if you are interested in learning what Polish books are available.
Tip: Leave this window open in the background while you are browsing ATPC, then you can refer to it whenever you like.
Subject - reference
[atpc] = on site, [open] = off site - All links open in new window, close when done!|
- Alphabet, Polish - [atpc]
- Certificate, Polish, where to apply - [open]
/ Calculate Day of any date, i.e., January 1, 1890 = "Tuesday" [atpc]
/ Julian-Gregorian - when it changed [atpc]
/ months, foreign - Table for Polish, Latin, OCS, Ukrainian, Russian and German [atpc]
/ postal, Polish - see Postal
- Census abbreviations - [open]
- Dictionary, Polish/English - see Translation, dictionary
/ Email, find - [open]
/ Home pages, business - [open]
/ Home pages, communities - [atpc]
/ Home pages, genealogy, general - [atpc]
/ Home pages, genealogy, Polish - [atpc]
/ Home pages, Polish, indexed - [atpc]
/ telephone, business - [open]
- Food, Polish word - Glossary [atpc]
- Illness, German - see Translation, illness, German-English
/ ports, US - entry points [open]
/ records, US - history, genealogy, education [open]
- Julian calendar - see Date, Julian-Gregorian
/ given, equivalent - cross reference English to foreign names (pdf requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) [atpc]
/ given, equivalent - Explanation for English/Polish names [atpc]
/ given, practice of - Polish naming convention, [open-1] [open-2]
/ surname, change, immigraiton [open]
/ surname, meaning - Understanding of [atpc]
/ surname, suffixes - Understanding of [aptc]
/ mail, postal date - Date on Polish mail is 8-digit numeric code ("14010210" = "14" is day 14, "01" is month of January, "02" is year of 2002, "10" is time of 10 am.)
/ postal system, Poland - (pl="Poczta") [open]
- Powiat - Polish for "district".
- r - see Rok
- Rok - Polish word for year. Often represented with an "r" on old grave stones.
/ dictionary - [open]
/ illness, German-English - Table [open]
/ Polish-English - common genealogy words [atpc]
/ Records, documents - Polish, Latin, Ukrainian, Russian [atpc]
- Wigalia - Traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner.
- Woj - abbreviation for "Wojewo~dzstwo" (Providence in English)
- Wycinanki - Polish paper cutout art