Search billions of records on
John Raymond Jenkins



    John Raymond Jenkins (his friends and family called him Raymond) was born May 15, 1891 at Weston, Idaho, the son of John and Maria Jensen Jenkins. What education he received was at Newton, Utah, which was only to the fifth grade. In his early teens he went up into Idaho to work, mostly around Grace and Alexander, where he worked until shortly before he was married, at which time he moved to Star Valley, Wyoming to help run one of his father's ranches. One early experience he had while working in Alexander for his brother-in-law, Eli Hanson, he never quite forgot. While working in the fields they were struck with lightning which killed several horses and stunned him. Eli was hit quite bad, but Raymond recovered sufficiently enough to work with him and saved his life.
     In Freedom he met the woman who was to become his lifelong wife and companion, Lula Irene Haderlie. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple, September 15, 1915. This trip was made by team and covered wagon to Newton, Utah. Lula's brother, L.H. Haderlie and his fiance, Joan Lindholm, were to be married the same day so they started out for Utah in two covered wagons. Along the way Raymond was notified that his younger brother, Seymour, had died so he took the train from Soda Springs, Idaho in order to get there in time for the funeral. Lula drove the team and wagon from Soda Springs to Newton, Utah where she met Raymond and they took the train from there to Salt Lake City.
     Raymond never participated too much in public affairs, but during his early life, before and after he was married, he played in brass bands around Alexander, and Grace, Idaho; Newton, Utah, and in Star Valley, Wyoming. He played the cornet and E flat Alto horn. He served for several years as ward teacher and worked actively in the Elder's Quorum on the welfare projects. For several years he served in the Freedom-Etna Farm Bureau organization.
     Eight children were born to Raymond and Lula, two who have preceded him in death. A girl, Wilda Marie, passed away at the age of six months and a son, Lavor H. was killed at the age of 20 on Iwo Jima during World War II. Raymond's life was centered around his family, and though he didn't take part much in church or public affairs he encouraged his family to attend to their church duties. He sent a son and daughter, Darrel and Lera, on missions and two sons served in the armed forces. Lavor served in World War II, and Theron served in Germany.
     In 1940 the good health Raymond had always enjoyed started to leave when he came down with arthritis, which grew worse with the years until he finally came down with Parkinson's disease, which finally claimed his life on June 4,1955 at the age of 64 years. During all of his sickness he continued to have a pleasing disposition and a good outlook on life, trying to get around on his own and not be a burden on any one. During this long illness he was waited on with loving care by his wife, who carried a burden which few people knew of.
      Raymond loved to hunt and fish, a sport which he participated in until his health prevented him from going in the hills to hunt, but he continued to fish as long as he could hold a pole. Like a true hunter, though, he liked to recall time and time again the hunting trips he took.


John Raymond Jenkins on his wedding day
John Raymond Jenkins as young man
Lula Irene Haderlie, his wife
Baby, Wilda Marie Jenkins


Return to the top

Return to the Family & Life Histories index

Return to Our Family Tree main page