Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Antigo, Wisconsin Genealogy Gopher
City of Antigo and Langlade County, Wisconsin Genealogical Research Sources

Home > School Class Lists > Historical School Locations

face looking over break line

Langlade County Historical School Locations

School building pictures and histories can be found at Town Histories Told By Old School Districts.

School Records: Check May and June newspapers. Unknown if any official school records still exist. If anyone has any such information please contact the webmaster.

Some of the section numbers in the locations below for some schools may not be correct because of general locations marked on maps. I am continuing to do further research and correct mistakes as I find them. Any help would be appreciated.

School NameTownLand Description Location -- Road Intersection
-- GPS coords. -- Misc. Information
First City SchoolCity of AntigoThe first school (a log cabin) in the village of Antigo was started in 1879 and located at the NE corner of Superior and Third. The first teacher was Anna Sheriff.
(45° 8.6' N, -89° 9.11' W)
Antigo Ward SchoolsCity of Antigo First Ward
506 Graham Ave.
NW Corner of Fulton St. & Graham Ave.
(45° 8.83' N, -89° 8.90' W)
Bldg razed 1961. Site now North Elementary
Second Ward
837 Clermont St.
SE corner of Clermont St. & 2nd Ave.
(45° 8.68' N, -89° 9.23' W)
Bldg razed 1962. Site now Langlade County Resource Center
Third Ward
NE corner of Deleglise St. & 2nd Ave.
(45° 8.70' N, -89° 9.70' W)
Bldg razed 1962. Site now childrens' park.
Fourth Ward
1232 7th Ave.
North side Seventh between Elm St. & Deleglise St..
(45° 8.30' N, -89° 9.86' W)
Bldg razed 1961. Site now West Elementary
Fifth Ward & Junior High
815 7th Ave.
West side of Clermont between 7th Ave. & 8th Ave.
(45° 8.20' N, -89° 9.26' W)
Bldg now Middle School.
Sixth Ward
220 7th Ave.
NE corner of Virginia St.& 7th Ave.
(45° 8.27' N, -89° 8.62' W)
Bldg razed 1961. Site now East Elementary
Antigo Unified DistrictCity Elementary Schools North Elementary
506 Graham Ave.
(45° 8.83' N, -89° 8.90' W)
East Elementary
220 7th Ave.
(45° 8.27' N, -89° 8.62' W)
West Elementary
1232 7th Ave.
(45° 8.30' N, -89° 9.86' W)
Antigo Unified DistrictRural Elementary Schools Aniwa Elementary
North side of 1st St. just west of Alma St.
(45° 0.52' N, -89° 12.75' W)
First Aniwa school built in 1883 and burned about 1909. Replace by another log building. New large wooden school build in 1920s.
Aniwa, Apple Grove, Maple Grove, Mayking, Highland, Fairview, Franklin and Sugar Bush schools consolidated in 1958 as Joint School District No. 2. Joined Antigo District in 1960.
Closed 2003, razed 2012
Crestwood Elementary
W8464 County Highway "AA"
(45° 6.58' N, -89° 4.35' W)
Lily Elementary
State Highway "55"
SE corner Highways "55" & "52."
(45° 18.40'N, -88° 51.21' W)
Closed 2003
Mattoon Elementary
507 Stone Ave., Mattoon
(45° 0.49' N, -89° 2.43' W)
In 1962 the Mattoon High School closed and the Mattoon School District consolidated with The Antigo Unified District.
Closed 2013
Pleasant View Elementary
W11141 County Highway "H"
(45° 7.07' N, -89° 12.67' W)
Consolidate in 1962 Hillside, Strassburg, Elmhurst, Sunnyside, Ferndale, Clover Valley, Eau Claire, Riverview, Longfellow and Fernwood schools.
Closed 2013
River Grove Elementary
N5620 County Highway "H"
(45° 13.90' N, -89° 13.90' W)
Consolidated in 1961 Good Luck, Elmwood, Bluebell, Rosedale, Little Chicago and Deerbrook schools. (Liberty Bell, Freibel and Badger at the time already were part of Deerbrook.)
Closed 2007
Spring Valley Elementary
N4754 County Highway "BB"
(45° 12.05' N, -89° 4.33' W)
Consolidated in 1962 Selenske, Gillis, Spring Brook, Bryant, Neff Switch and Malcolm schools.
Closed 2013
As of the 1962 consolidation, a single one-room school remained in operation in Langlade County. It was located at Parrish and was expected to join the Rhinelander school district. There were three two-room schools -- Sunny Slope, Elton Graded and Wilson Graded - and one four-room school, at Polar. Need information on when and where these were consolidated.
Antigo High SchoolCity of Antigo First Building (Established 1883)
404 Superior St.
NW corner of Superior St. & 7th Ave.
(45° 8.29' N, -89° 19.15' W)
Second Building (Constructed 1884)
837 Clermont St.
SE corner of Clermont St. & 2nd Ave.
(45° 8.68' N, -89° 9.23' W)
Third Building (Constructed 1890)
815 7th Ave., City Block 63.
South side of 7th Ave. between Clermont St. & Edison St.
(45° 8.23' N, -89° 9.30' W)
Fourth Building (Constructed 1916)
815 7th Ave., City Block 63.
(45° 8.23' N, -89° 9.30' W)
Fifth Building (Constructed 1994)
1900 10th Ave.
NE corner of Western Ave. & 10th Ave.
(45° 8.02' N, -89° 10.63' W)
Apple Grove
Dist. # 4
NorwoodFirst Bldg: log structure in Sec. 18, T30N, R12E on George Garrett farm about 1879.
Second Bldg: log structure in Sec. 20, T30N, R12E on Dallas Chappel Farm in 1883.
Third Bldg: NW 1/4, Sec. 20, T30N, R12E on C.O. Peterson Farm in 1897. On County Highway "W."
(45° 4.35' N, -89° 4.40' W)
Arbutus
Dist. # 4
AinsworthFirst Bldg: The first classes were taught in the Hy Polar home.
Second Bldg: log structure. It was know as the Polar School NE 1/4, Sec 34, T34N, R12E, Polar/Wilcox property on State Highway "55" south of Pickerel Creek.
Third Bldg: A frame structure that was erected on the west side of State Highway "55" in Section 27 near John Harvey home. It also burned down in 1906. It was known as the Arbutus Hill School.
Fourth Bldg: Frame structure rebuilt immediately the same year but directly across the highway on the east side. Later used as home for several families. Was still standing in 1922.
Fifth Bldg: Brick structure erected in Section 34 on Church Lane just west of intersection of State Highway "55" and County Highway "T." In 2006 Bldg used as the Arbutus Lutheran Church.
(45° 23.14' N, -89° 58.30' W)
Badger
Dist. # 1
PeckFirst Bldg: log structure erected NW 1/4, Sec. 20 T32N, R10E in 1886 and is known as the Beck School after P.G. Beck, the town's first chairman.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1908 near the Methodist Church, SW 1/4, SW 1/4, Sec. 17, T32N, R10E, NE corner of Badger Road & Town Forest Road.
(45° 14.93' N, -89° 16.95' W)
Bldg was razed in the 1960's.
Bass Lake SchoolUphamSee Summit Lake District. Located in section 12 T33N, R10E when Paine Lumber Co. had headquarters there. Closed in 1913 and area consolidated with Summit Lake District.
Beck SchoolPeckSee Badger District.
Black Brook SchoolPeckSee Hawley. School held at the Mose Hawley home on the banks of the Eau Claire River in Sec 27, T32N, R10E in 1880. Near intersection of County Highways "C" and "H."
Blue Bell
Dist. # 4
PeckFirst Bldg: log structure erected in 1880 on Mrs. Fedelia Maltby land in NW corner of Sec. 31 at the intersection of County Highway "I" and Rangeline Road.
Second Bldg: log structure erected in 1883 on the Yopes farm in NE corner of Sec. 31.
Third Bldg: frame structure painted blue erected in 1891 NE 1/4, Sec 31, T32N, R10E (Joint District of Peck & Vilas). The old log structure was sold to John Halembeck, Sr. and physically moved to Sec. 32 where it was used as a residence. This Bldg was razed in the 1940's.
Fourth Bldg: frame structure erected in 1909 (building & bell painted blue, thus the name Blue Bell), NW 1/4, NW 1/4 Sec. 32, T32N, R10E. SE corner of Bluebell Road and Town Forest Road.
(45° 13.09' N, -89° 16.93' W)
This location is about 1/2 mile north of the old blue school at County Highway "I" and Town Forest Road. (Ghost Town of Morley.) Building was sold to John & Julia Zupon. It remained where it was and used a repair shop until it was destroyed by fire in 1975.
Boulder Hill
Dist. # 3
AntigoFirst Bldg: log structure on land donated by John Ford Sec. 36, T31N, R11E.
Second Bldg: frame structure SW 1/4?, Sec. 36, T31N, R11E, near intersection of Forrest Road & Crestwood Road.
(45° 7.48' N, -89° 3.89' W)?
Brown Bear
Dist. # 2
UphamSee Shanks School. First Bldg: log structure erected 1884, SW 1/4, Sec 31, T33N, R10E, Near intersection of County Highway "J" & Brown Bear Road.
(45° 17.80' N, -89° 18.15' W)?
It was closed in the early 1940's? and consolidated with Badger and Kempster Districts.
Bryant
Dist. # 2
PriceFirst Bldg: log structure erected in 1885 in the village SW 1/4, Sec. 32, T32N, R12E
Second Bldg: frame structure. Location?
Third Bldg: brick structure erected approximately same location as first bldg probably on north side of State Highway "52."
(45° 12.49' N, -89° 1/42' W)?
Callsen
Dist. # 4
Summit & ParrishFirst Bldg: log structure erected in 1886 at the quarter post of Sections 29 and 32 T34N, R9E (now Parrish) On County Highway "H."
Second Bldg: frame structure erected 1893, SW corner of the intersection of County Highway "H" and Callsen Road. NE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 31, T34N, R9E. (now Parrish) This Bldg burned October 1916.
Third Bldg: brick structure erected 1917 on the same site as the second building.
(45° 23.66' N, -89° 24.13' W)
Chamberlain
Dist. # 5
AntigoFirst Bldg: log structure S 1/2, Sec. 31 on banks of Springbrook
Second Bldg: frame structure
Third Bldg: brick structure erected in 1908, NE 1/4, SW 1/4, Sec. 32, T31N, R11E, 329 Forrest Ave.
(45° 7.51' N, -89° 9.02' W)
In 2006 the building used as a storage shed.
Clark
Dist. # 7
PolarFirst Bldg: log structure erected just across the road from the frame structure erected in 1910. This might have been the Logan house which was used for one year as a school?
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1910, NE 1/4, Sec. 12, T31N, R12E, in the vicinity of intersection of Oak Road and Sherry Road.
(45° 11.41' N, -88° 56.26' W)?
Clover Dale
Dist. # 6
AinsworthFirst Bldg: Frame structure erected 1909, SE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec 6, T33N, R12E, NW corner of County Highways "T" and "U." Later it was moved to the Elcho School and used as a band room
(45° 22.30' N, -89° 1.73' W)

Antigo Daily Journal Feb 7, 1932: Picture of Brandow School. Built about 1884 in what was Clover Dale District. Anna Stengl Muchlinski identified all children in picture.

Clover Valley
Dist # 1
AckleyFirst Bldg erected 1884, NW 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec. 35, T31N, R10E, SE corner of the intersection of County Highways "HH" and "Y."
(45° 7.52' N, -89° 12.52' W)
Cozy Corner
Dist. # 1
EvergreenFirst Bldg: one room log structure erected in Sec. 25 built circa 1879.
Second Bldg: frame structure built unknown date in
SE 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec. 26, T31N, R13E, NW corner of the intersection of County Highway "P" and Fitch Road.
(45° 7.93' N, -88° 49.65' W)
It was used until 1949 when the Washington School Bldg was moved to the site.
Closed in 1961 when consolidated with White Lake District.
Deerbrook Graded
Jt. Dist. # 3
NevaFirst Bldg: frame structure erected in 1883 on John Novak farm a mile south of Neva Corners. It burned down after many years. Another source said it was abandoned.
When a school was built in Kempster in 1902 there were then two schools in this district. In 1904 the Kempster School became Joint District No. 1 with Peck.
Second Bldg: unknown type structure erected at what was known as the Deerbrook sand pit in the old platted village of Reeves according to Dessureau (a different source says it was at the top of hill in Deerbrook?). Most of Reeves is in the NW corner of County Highways "B" and "E" and little in the SW corner. This second bldg also burned down. When it did the school children moved to a frame structure that was built at Neva Corners (Corner School). When the brick school was built this building was enlarged and used as a granary for a while before being abandoned. Has been restored by restoration committee.
Third Bldg. brick structure erected in 1904 in SW 1/4, SW 1/4, Sec. 29, T32N, R11E. At the intersection of County Highways "B" and "E" Not sure which corner?
(45° 13.19' N, -89° 9.37' W)?
After 1904 there was only one school in this district.
Eau Claire
Dist. # 5
AckleyFirst school was home of Albert Reggotski.
Second Bldg: Near Prasalowicz place in Sec. 21 on banks of East Branch of Eau Claire river.
Third Bldg: brick structure erected 1910, NW 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 21, T31N, R10E, SE corner of Spring Road and Highland Road.
(45° 9.62' N, -89° 14.98' W)
Edison
Dist. # 5
PolarFirst Bldg: log structure erected 1880. Location?
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1889. Location? Nelson Joles purchased bldg in 1905.
Third Bldg: brick structure erected in 1905. School officials considered operating two school buildings in district before brick structure was built but abandoned idea. School named after Thomas Edison, inventor and scientist. SW 1/4, SW 1/4, Sec. 5, T31N, R12E, NE corner of intersection of Edison Road & Hill Road.
(45° 11.44' N, -89° 1.76' W)
Elcho Graded
Dist. # 1
ElchoFirst Bldg: frame structure erected in 1887.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1902 on block 14 of village plat. Originally one story but second story added later.
Third Bldg: brick structure?
Elcho High School
Dist. # 1
Village of ElchoErected in 1921 in village. NW 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 13, T34N, R10E, SW corner of State Highway "45" and Owano St.
(45° 26.25' N, -89° 11.03' W)
Elm Grove
Dist. # 7
LangladeFirst Bldg: Residence of Christopher Priem for a year and two months of the second term.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1908, SE 1/4, Sec. 16, T33N, R13E, on State Highway 55.
(45° 20.20' N, -88° 52.03' W)?
Third Bldg: frame structure erected after 1922?
Elmhurst
Dist. # 5
RollingFirst Bldg same site as second Bldg in village. It burned down Dec. 19, 1919.
Second Bldg was brick structure, SW 1/4, Sec. 21, T30N, R11E, NE corner of Wilson Road & Old 26 Road? (need to verify)
(45° 3.74' N, -89° 10.82' W)?
In 2006 structure being used as a residence.
Elmwood
Dist. # 4
VilasFirst Bldg: log structure erected 1882, SE 1/4, SE 1/4 Sec. 4, T32N, R9E. One mile south of County Highway "J" on North Pratt Road.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1898 on the quarter post of sections 25 and 26. On County Highway "I" south of County Highway "C."
Third Bldg: brick structure erected 1921, SE 1/4, Sec. 26, T32N, R9E, One-half mile north of intersection of County Highway "I" and Game Farm Road.
(45° 13.50' N, -89° 19.56' W)
Elton Village
Dist. # 5 or 6
EvergreenFirst Bldg: log structure erected about 1885, SE 1/4, Sec. 17, T31N, R13E, On State Highway "64."
(45° 10.11' N, -88° 52.94' W)
Second Bldg: frame structure erected about 1902 same location? Additon built about 1912
Closed in 1963 when consolidated with White Lake District.
The Elton School Preservation Society has preserved this building in Elton. It is open during community events and for tours by appointment.
Fairview
Dist. # 7
AntigoFirst Bldg: frame Bldg: SE 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec. 27, T31N, R11E, NE corner of County Highway "F" and Parkway Road.
(45° 8.44' N, -89° 6.86' W)
In 2006 structure remolded and used as residence.
Ferndale
Dist. # 2
AckleyFirst Bldg: rough frame structure erected in 1886, Sec 35
First Bldg was moved to the NW 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec 26, T31N, R10E, on land owned by John Bahr, Sr.
Second Bldg: brick structure same NW 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec. 26, T31N, R10E, SE corner of intersection of State Highway "64" and County Highway "HH."
(45° 8.38' N, -89° 12.52' W)
Bldg razed. Site today location of Ackley Town Hall.
Fernwood
Dist. # 4
RollingFirst Bldg: log structure in Sec. 6 used for four years
Second Bldg: more pretentious log structure used until 1894 in Sec. 7
Third Bldg: brick structure, NE 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec. 7, T30N, R11E, SW corner intersection of Fernwood Road and County Highway "X."
(45° 5.66' N, -89° 12.32' W)
Forest
Dist. # 7
UphamFirst Bldg: log structure erected on Sec. 28. Frame addition added later.
Second Bldg: brick structure. NW 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec 28, T33N, R10E, About 1/8 mile SE of intersection of Kleever Road & Forest Road.
(45° 18.71' N, -89° 14.95' W)
Forest Dale
Dist. # 5
AinsworthFirst Bldg: log structure, SE 1/4, Sec. 29, T33N, R12E, near intersection of County Highways "A" and "S."
Second Bldg: Frame structure erected 1905 same location at First Bldg. Closed before 1922 when no school-age children in four family district.
(45° 18.78' N, -89° 0.84' W approx.)
Forest View
Dist. # 3
VilasFirst Bldg: log structure. Location?
Second Bldg: frame structure. Location?
Third Bldg: brick structure erected in 1900 NE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 29, T32N, R9E. SW corner of intersection of County Highway "C" and Bluebird Lane.
(45° 13.98' N, -89° 23.34' W)
Franklin
Dist. # 3
PolarFirst Bldg: log structure ( 16 x 18 feet) erected in 1881 on land leased from E.P. Bridgeman.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1883. Location? It was condemned in 1915.
Third Bldg: brick structure erected in 1916. NW 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec. 32, T31N, R12E, SE corner intersection of Creswood Road and Hill Road.
(45° 7.93' N, -89° 1.90' W)
Freeman
Dist. # ?
LangladeFirst Bldg: frame structure
Second Bldg: frame structure Sec 14?, T33N, R13E
Intersection of State Highway 52 and County Highway "A"
(45° 20.98' N, -88° 49.73' W)
Friebel
Dist. # 3
PeckFirst Bldg: log structure erected NW 1/4, Sec. 27, T32N, R10E in 1881on banks of Eau Claire River. One of the oldest districts in the county.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in Sec. 22 in 1890. One-eighth mile north of County Highway "C." Bldg was sold to Friebel family, moved to Friebel farm and used as a chicken coop.
Third Bldg: frame structure erected in 1894/95 NE 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec 27, T32N, R10E, SW corner of County Highways "C" and "H."
(45° 13.10' N, -89° 13.91' W)
In 1906 addition of put on south side of building.
TheUnified District No. 1, River Grove Elementary School was built on this site in 1961. The old Friebel school building remained on this site just north of the new school and was used as storage shed for the Unified District No. 1. In 1990 it was sold to David Nicholson and physically moved somewhere.
Gillis
Dist. # 2
NevaFirst Bldg: frame structure erected in 1883. In 1910 building was remodeled and additions made. In January 1920 it burned down. Location?
Second Bldg: brick structure erected in 1920, (NW?)SW 1/4, Sec. 22?, T32N, R11E
(45° 14.35' N, -89° 6.64' W, Need to verify this location on Hwy "V."east of Neva.)
Good Luck
Dist. # 2
VilasFirst Bldg: log structure erected 1891. Location?
Second Bldg: frame structure erected 1909 in Sec. 6
Third Bldg: frame?/brick? Structure, SW 1/4, Sec. 8, T32N, R9E, SW corner of intersection of Dump Lane and McCloud Road.
(45° 16.26' N, -89° 23.76' W)
Green Valley
Dist. # 3
PriceFirst Bldg: log structure erected in 1884 in Sec. 17.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected short time later in Sec 19. In 1911 this structure was moved across the highway onto Sec. 20 and was used as a Methodist Church.
Third Bldg. brick structure erected in 1911. SE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 19, T32N, R12E, NW corner intersection of County Highway "O" and Hill Road.
(45° 14.45' N, -89° 1/73' W)
Hawley SchoolPeckSee Black Brook & Friebel Districts. In 1890 one acre of land is leased from Moses Hawley by District No. 3, Town of Vilas, Lincoln County.
Highland
Dist. # 2
PolarFirst Bldg: brick structure erected in 1881 1/2 mile from brick bldg.
Second Bldg: frame structure 1/4 mile from brick bldg. Addition added. Sold to Mrs. William Henry and used as residence.
Third Bldg: brick structure. NE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 20, T31N, R12E. Located south side of State Highway "64" just west of intersection with Gruenberg Road.
(45° 9.67'N, -89° 1.12' W)
Hillside
Dist. # 1
RollingFirst Bldg: First teacher, Mrs. Phillip Bray taught in her log home, Sec. 12, T30N, R11E
Second Bldg: log structure NE 1/4, sec. 13, T30N, R11E
Third Bldg: SE 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec 12, T30N, R11E, One-half mile north of County Highway "D" on east side of Hillside Road.
(45° 5.75' N, -89° 7.35' W)
In 2006 structure is being used as a residence.
Hollister
Dist. # 6
Wolf River/
Elton
First Bldg: frame structure erected in 1878 on Sec. 19.
Second Bldg: ? structure erected on the Dorszeski farm in 1890. School was discontinued in 1908.
Third Bldg: brick structure erected on land donated by M.J. Wallrich in Sec. 18, T32N, R14E.
(45° 14.87' N, -88° 47.5' W approx. Assume on State Highway "55.")
Fourth Bldg: Dessureau wrote a new school was being planned. I don't know if was every built?
"The second school in the county was started at Nine Mile Creek, now known as Hollister."
Kempster
Jt. Dist. # 1
NevaFirst Bldg: frame structure erected in 1902 NW 1/4, Sec. 6, T32N, R11E
"On the west side of Highway No. 39, North of Kempster Hotel" in 1919. Now County Highway "B."
(45° 17.38'N, -89° 10.0' W approx.)
Kennedy School
Jt. Dist. with Peck
AckleyFrame structure erected in 1880 in NW corner of SE 1/4 Sec. 11, T31N, R10E, Near intersection of County Highway "H" and River Road (Need to figure out District Name?)
(45° 10.99' N, -89° 13.20' W approx.)
Kent
Jt. Dist. # 1
Price/
Langlade
First Bldg: log structure in Sec. 24 in Village of Kent.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in same Sec. 24
Third Bldg: brick structure erected in 1918 when joint district with Langlade formed. SW 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 19, T32N, R13E, One-half mile south of State Highway "52" on the east side of Langlade-Price Road.
(45° 14.63' N, -88° 55.57' W)
Operated until the 1950's and has been torn down.
Koepenick SchoolUphamSee Summit Lake District. Closed in 1913 and area consolidated with Summit Lake District.
Koepenick Dist. # 6UphamFirst Bldg: frame structure erected in 1892 in Sec. 19, T33N, R11E
Second Bldge: brick structure erected 1902/1903, NW 1/4, Sec 19, T33N, R11E.
(45° 20.20' N, -89° 10.00' W approx.)
District was originally a part of District No. 2 created August 10, 1895.
Kosciousko School
Dist. # 2
ElchoSub district of Post Lake. Bldg: frame structure, NW 1/4, Sec 21, T34N, R11E
(45° 25.24' N, -89° 7.47' W approx.)
Lakeside School
Dist. # 1?
ElchoSee Elcho District. Bldg: frame structure Sub-district of Elcho? SW of Village of Elcho. See 1927 atlas of Langlade County showing old school districts.
Langlade SchoolOconto CountySee Wolf River Graded District. Before Langlade was a county, in 1873, the first school in the area was built in section 3, T31N, R14E. It was nothing more that a log cabin and the first teacher was Miss Addie Wescott of Shawano.
Langlade SchoolWolf River/
Elton
See Wolf River District.
Liberty Bell
Dist. # 1
VilasFirst Bldg: brick structure. SE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 11, T32N, R9E. On County Highway "H", one-half mile north of the Lloyd Creek Road Intersection.
(45° 16.20' N, -89° 19.50' W)
Lily
Dist. # 8
LangladeFirst Bldg: one-room log structure erected in Sec. 27
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in Sec. 34.
Third Bldg: frame structure erected 1895 Location?
Fourth Bldg: brick structure erected 1914, NW 1/4 SE 1/4, Sec. 34, T33N, R13E, SE corner State Highways "52" & "55."
(45° 18.40' N, -88° 51.21' W)
Lincoln
Dist. # ?
PolarFirst Bldg: Home of William Peters
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1912 in Sec. 25, T31N, R12E, Probably on Fifth Ave. Road near Lost Lane?
(45° 8.36' N, -88° 56.99' W approx.)
Little Chicago
Dist. # 3
NevaFirst Bldg: frame structure moved in 1886 to SE 1/4 Sec. 8, T32N, R11E
Second Bldg: brick structure erected in 1912 when district created. 1/8 mile NW of intersection of County Highway "V" and Little Chicago Road.
(45° 15.90' N, -89° 8.23' W)
Longfellow
Dist. # 3
AckleyFirst Bldg: log cabin erected 1878 just to east of Second Bldg
Second Bldg: Frame structure erected 1880
Third Bldg: brick structure erected 1910, all Bldgs located at NW 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec. 9, T31N, R10E, On Range Line Road 1/2 mile west of Ackley Road.
(45° 10.97' N, -89° 12.58' W)
Malcolm
Dist. # 1
PriceFirst Bldg: frame structure erected in 1883, SW 1/4, Sec. 27, T32N, R12E, District organized in 1907
Second Bldg: brick structure erected in 1909 same location near Sherry Junction. Near intersection of State Highway "52" and Polar Road.
(45° 13.12' N, -88° 59.27' W approx.)
Maple Grove
Dist. # 3
NorwoodSW 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec. 29, T30N, R12E
NE corner intersection of County Highway "D" and Maple Grove Road.
(45° 2.66' N, 89° 4.35' W)
Markton
Dist. # 5
Wolf River/
Elton
First Bldg: frame structure erected in 1873 on Sec. 30, T31N, R14E.
Second Bldg: brick structure erected in 1915. NE 1/4, Sec. 31, T31N, R15E. Located on the west side of State Highway "55" 1/4 mile north of Menominee-Langlade County Line or just over 1/4 mile south of County Highway "M."
(45° 7.31' N, -88° 39.88' W)
Marsh
Dist. # 6
AckleyFirst Bldg: log structure erected in 1886, 3/4 mile SE of brick school site.
(45° 11.30' N, -89° 17.95' W, guess)
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1894, NW corner, NW 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec. 7, T31N, R10E. (Joint Ackley & Peck District)(Was painted blue.)
(45° 11.30' N, -89° 18.16' W, guess)
Third Bldg: brick structure erected in 1908 Sec. 6, T31N, R10E, intersection of Range Line Road and Mendl Road (guess)
(45° 11.75' N, -89° 18.20' W, guess) This new bldg is 1/2 mile north of frame school painted blue in Sec. 7, which was moved from the 1894 site and used as a woodshed for this new Marsh School. The Marsh school building was sold to John & Julia Zupon unknown date. It was dismantled and rebuilt in Section 31 of Peck where it was used as their residence. Much research needs to be done to verify these locations. The sources I used were very confusing!!
Mayflower
Dist. # 2
AntigoFirst Bldg: frame structure. Location?
Second Bldg: brick structure erected 1914, SE 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec. 8, T31N, R11E, One-fourth mile NW of State Highway "45" on Angle Road.
(45° 11.17' N, -89° 8.89' W)
Structure in 2006 is being used as a residence on Angle Road.
Mayking
Dist. # 6
NorwoodSW 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec. 2, T30N, R12E, Intersection County Highway "S" and Mayking Road.
(45° 6.11' N, 89° 0.73' W)
McKinley School
Dist. # 4
EvergreenSee McKinley-Wilson District.
McKinley-LincolnEvergreenName of District? McKinley School in Sec 11 of Evergreen; Lincoln School in Sec. 25 of Polar and too far away to be consolidated. Much confusion about this district. Was there also a Lincoln School in Evergreen? More research needed!
McKinley-Wilson
Dist. # 4
EvergreenDessureau: Two different schools buildings in same district.
First Bldg: McKinley School erected in Sec. 10 and later moved to Sec 11.
Second Bldg: McKinley School, a frame structure erected August, 1915, in Sec. 11, on Fraley Road?
(45° 10.96' N, -88° 40.06' W very approx.)
Third Bldg: Wilson School contracted for August 7, 1915 in S 1/2 of Sec. 14, T31N, R13E, About 1/2 mile west of County Highway "P" on Wilson School Road, north side of road.
(45° 9.68' N, -88° 50.03' W)
This bldg burned on April 1, 1942. A new bldg was built in the fall of 1942 and the McKinley bldg closed so there was only one school building now used in the district.
In June 1944 the area was reorganized with Districts 1, 4, and 7 attached to District 6 and it became the only district in the township.
The Wilson School closed in 1963 and consolidated with White Lake District.
Neff Switch
Dist. # 6
AntigoFirst Bldg moved from second Bldg location when Selenske District severed from territory of this district.
Second Bldg: frame structure, NW 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 11, T31N, R11E, On Neff Switch Road 1/4 mile west of County Highway "BB."
(45° 11.48' N, -89° 4/43' W)
Neva CornersNevaSee "Old Corner School." Sec. 29 or 32?, T32N, R11E
Used after Reeves school burned.
Normal School/
Langlade County Teachers College
City of AntigoStarted on the second floor of the Antigo Public Library at 404 Superior St. then a building was built at 411 Superior St. located on what used to be called the "flat iron" block because of its triangle shape.
(45° 8.29'N, -89° 9.11' W)
Old Corner School
Jt. Dist. # 3
NevaSee Deerbrook District. This was the second of two school buildings in the Deerbrook District before 1904 and was/is located at Neva Corners. The Old School Restoration Committee has preserved this building. It is located in Neva Corners at the intersection of County Highways "A" and "B." It is open to the public between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
(45° 13.19' N, -89° 8.62' W)
Ormsby
Dist. # 6
PeckBldg: frame structure erected 1906 SW 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 16, T32N, R10E
On Eau Claire River at Ormsby Pond. School district created in 1906 and discontinued in 1920/21 due to the lack of students. In 1926 school was reopened. In 1929 the Bldg was sold to Ben & Del Ullman, moved to Sec. 29, and used as residence until razed in the 1980's.
(45° 15.37' N, -89° 15.15' W approx.)
Parrish
Con. Dist. # 1
Parrish or
old North Summit
First Bldg: Frame structure erected in 1890, NW 1/4, SE 1/4, T34N, R3E, It was moved from the south to north part of town. It was remodeled into a house, but burned down in February of 1921.
Second Bldg: Brick structure erected in 1917, NE 1/4, Sec. 19, T34N, R9E
(45° 25.42' N, -89° 24.17' W approx.)
Pearson
Dist. # 3
AinsworthFirst Bldg: Log structure erected in 1885/6 in Sec. 3, T33N, R12E between Sam Preston's and John Powell's land. North and across road from present (2006) town hall. Built by J. Pearson Hughes and Henry Seaman
Second Bldg: Frame structure erected in 1891, NW 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec. 10, T33N, R12E, SE corner of County Highway "T" and "TT." Site of current (2006) town hall. This structure was later moved to Cloverdale District and used as a store.
Third Bldg: Brick structure erected in 1916 on current (2006) town hall site. Later used as town hall. Structure razed in 1994 when new town hall built.
(45° 21.82' N, -88° 59.25' W)
Pickerel
Dist. # 1
LangladeFirst Bldg: log structure erected in 1873 in Sec. 7
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1893 in Sec. 7,
Third Bldg: brick structure erected in 1915, NW 1/4, Sec 7, T33N, R13E
(45° 21.56' N, -88° 54.61' W approx.)
Pine Grove
Dist. # 6
RollingErected 1883, SE 1/4, Sec. 27, T30N, R11E, Maybe near State Highway "45" and Huggins Road?
(45° 2.64' N, -89° 9.45' W guess)
Pioneer
Dist. # 1
AntigoSE 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec. 17, T31N, R11E
NW corner of intersection of State Highway 64 and Pioneer Road
(45° 9.75' N, -89° 8.08'W)
Structure razed.
Polar Graded
Dist. # 4
PolarFirst Bldg: School was first held in Moritz Mueller's residence.
Second Bldg: log structure erected in 1878 on the same site as the third school building in Sec. 15.
Third Bldg: frame structure. After many years it was moved and became a church.
Fourth Bldg: frame one-story structure. Second story added later. SE 1/4, Sec. 15, T31N, R12E, On State Highway 64 east side of Village on south side of road?
(45° 10.11' N, -88° 59.25' W approx.)
Post Lake
Dist. # 2
ElchoFirst Bldg: log structure by C.W. Maney in Sec. 10, T34N, R11E
Second Bldg: log structure erected shortly after by Knute Anderson.
Third Bldg: frame structure erected SW 1/4, Sec 11, T34N, R11E, Maybe near intersection of County Highway "K" and Post Lake Drive?
(45° 26.45' N, -89° 4.82' W guess)
Also see sub districts Kosciousko and Sunset.
Price
Dist. # 3
PriceSee Green Valley District.
Red River
Dist. # 2
NorwoodSW 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec. 26, T30N, R12E
In Village of Phlox. On the north side of State Highway "47" about midway between South Street and North Street.
(45° 3.08' N, -89° 0.91' W)
Reeves SchoolNevaSee Deerbrook District. SW 1/4, Sec. 30?, T32N, R11E
Built after Kempster School was erected.
Riverside
Dist. # 1
Norwood
First Bldg: On line between sections 11 and 14, T30N, R12E.
On Marl Rd.
Second Bldg: SW 1/4, Sec. 14, T30N, R12E, On Riverside Rd.
(45° 4.40' N, -89° 0.79' W approx.)
Was Milltown District No. 2 when part of Shawano County.
Riverview
Dist. # 7
AckleyFirst Bldg: Village of Heinemann
NW 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 28, T31N, R10E, NE corner of Riverview Road and Highland Road.
(45° 8.63' N, -89° 14.96' W)
Bldg moved to Paul Wanca farm and used as storage shed.
Rocky Glen
Dist. # 3
SummitFirst Bldg: log structure erected in 1899. NW 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec 11, T33N, R9E, 16 x 20 feet. On Rocky Glen Road at center of Sec. 11.
(45° 21.50' N, -89° 19.87' W)
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1903 in Sec. 11, 26 x 36 feet . Same location where Rocky Glen Road turns straight north and straight west.
Rosedale
Dist. # 5
PeckFirst Bldg: It was an old mill store building at Vaughn which was used because of overcrowding at the Kennedy School.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1906, SW 1/4, SW 1/4, Sec. 35, T32N, R10E, NE corner of County Highway "I" and Rosedale Road.
(45° 12.25' N, -89° 13.18' W)
Bldg sold to Robert & JoAnn Teal and used as their residence
Schuman
Dist. # 1
PolarFirst Bldg: log structure erected on Sec. 18 in 1887 ("18" might be a Dessureau mistake. "28" might be correct section.)
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1902. NE 1/4, Sec. 33, T31N, R12E, SW corner of Crestwood Road and Polar Road.
(45° 7.91' N, -88° 59.50' W)
Selenske
Dist. # 4
AntigoDessureau misspelled this name as "Selenski."
SE 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec. 14, T31N, R11E, NW corner of intersection of State Highway 64 and County Highway BB
(45° 9.75' N, -89° 4.40' W)
Structure still standing in disrepair in 2006.
Shanks SchoolUphamSee Brown Bear District.
Sherry
Dist. # 3
EvergreenFirst Bldg: log structure built by Upham Lumber Company for their lumber camp was used in 1899. It was located opposite the home of James Lambert in Section 6.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected in 1906 one-half mile from first school in Sec. 7, T31N, R13E. Probably located on Sherry Road near Sherry Cemetery.
(45° 11.14' N, -88° 55.65' W guess)
Closed in 1940. Area divided between Districts 4 and 6.
Sleepy Hollow
Dist. # 1
SummitFirst Bldg: log structure on Robert Cummings property in SE 1/4, Sec. 19, T33N, R93, near intersection of 2nd Avenue & Center Road
Second Bldg: frame structure SE 1/4, Sec 29, T33N, R9E, near 1st Avenue & Pine River Road. Building has collapsed.
(45° 18.43' N, -89° 23.61' W approx.)
Foundation not visible from road.
Spring Brook
Dist. # 5
NevaBldg: frame structure erected in 1905 SE 1/4, SE 1/4, Sec. 26, T32N, R11E, Intersection of County Highway "B" and Spring Brook Road.
(45° 13.20' N, -89° 4.31' W)
This building has been restored and is now located at the County Fairgrounds in Antigo. The Langlade County Retired Educators group members volunteer to give tours during the county fair and by appointment at other times..
Strassburg
Dist. # 2
RollingFirst Bldg: classes held in home of Henry Peters
Second Bldg: log structure on same site which after several years burned down.
Third Bldg: Erected 1893 and used until 1961: SW 1/4, SW 1/4, Sec. 24, T30N, R11E, Intersection of State Highway "47." and Cty Hwy D
(45° 3.52' N, -89° 7.31' W)
Stimson SchoolPeck - Lincoln Co.Prior to 1879. Log structure located east of present Town Forest Road in Sec. 5, T32N, R10E. Possibly the first school in the Town of Peck. Teachers board at Thomas Stimson home. In 1886 school is closed and building becomes residence.
(45° 17.18' N, -89° 17.02' W guess)
Sugar Bush
Dist. # 5
NorwoodSE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 5, T30N, R12E
On Cty Hwy AA, just west of Crestwood Elementary School.
(45° 6.55 'N, 89° 4.42' W)
Summit Lake
Con. Dist. # 1
UphamFirst Bldg: frame structure erected in 1882, NW 1/4, Sec 1, T33N, R10E. Used for a number of years and then sold to Lutheran congregation. It was physically moved 1/4 mile and used as a church.
Second Bldg: brick structure erected 1908 on same site but farther back from the road.
(45° 22.63' N, -89° 11.75' W guess)
Also see Bass Lake & Koepenick Schools.
Sunnyside
Dist. # 3
RollingFirst Bldg: log structure.
Second Bldg: frame structure, erected 1888, same site as first Bldg on NE 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec. 10, T30N, R11E. When new school built old building was moved to Simon Farm and used as chicken coop.
Third Bldg: brick structure. SE 1/4, SW 1/4, Sec. 3, T30N, R11E, One-fourth mile west of State Highway "45." Site now location of Rolling Town Hall.
(45° 6.13' N, -89° 9.52' W)
Sunny Slope
Dist. # 2
SummitFirst Bldg: Albert Leistikow sold a log structure to district in Sec. 28 in 1889. It was 16 x 24 feet with a floor of rough pine lumber.
Second Bldg: log structure SE 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec 27, T33N, R9E, 22 x 32 feet in size.
Third Bldg: brick structure erected in 1917. Same location on County Highway "H' 1/4 mile north of Bavaria Road.
(45° 19.07' N, -89° 21.80' W)
In 2006 building used as residence.
Sunset
Dist. # 2
ElchoSub district of Post Lake. Bldg: frame structure, NW 1/4, Sec 17, T34N, R11E
(45° 26.11" N, -89° 9.33' W guess)
Swamp Creek
Dist. # 7
AinsworthBldg erected 1914 by Charles W. Fish Lumber Co., NW 1/4, SW 1/4, Sec 8, T34N, R12E. North side of County Highway "K." It closed in 1940.
(45° 26.41' N, -89° 1.58' W approx.)
Turner SchoolUphamSee Forest District
Vaughan (The First)Ackley - Lincoln Co.Log structure erected 1877, NW 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 4, T31N, R10E
(45° 12.23' N, -89° 15.07' W approx.)
Washington
Dist. # 7
EvergreenFirst Bldg: unknown structure built about 1910 in section 20.
Second Bldg: frame structure built in 1912 and used until 1928 when burned by fire started by two pupils.
Third Bldg: frame structure built after the fire in Sec. 29, T31N, R13E, near intersection of Blackhawk Road & Harmon Road.
(45° 8.36' N, -88° 53.50' W guess)
Closed in 1945 with students going to Elton.
White Lake Village School
Dist. # 1
Wolf River
Elton
First Bldg: brick structure erected 1917 in the Village (Sec. 20) on four acres donated by the Yawkey-Bissel Lumber Co. because their employees' children had so greatly increased the school enrollment they couldn't all fit in the frame school building. Location: "...east and west from the railroad track to the main road."
(45° 9.35' N, -88° 45.89' W)
White Lake Rural School
Dist. # 1
Wolf River/
Elton
See White Lake Village. First Bldg: frame structure erected in 1893, NE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 29, T31N, R14E. Intersection of County Highway "M" and Erdman Road. Or, NE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec 21?
Second Bldg: brick structure erected in 1913 NE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec. 29, T31N, R14E.
(45° 8.78' N, -88° 45.87' W guess) Or, NE 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec 21?
School under jurisdiction of the school board of the White Lake Village schools. Dessureau said it was still used in 1922. He also said it was vacated for three years. (Maybe, only when enrollment was too low to operate?)
White Lake Union Free High School
Dist. # 1
Wolf River/EltonFirst Bldg: The high school opened in 1921 in the grade school building.
Second Bldg: In February 1923 the high moved into a new building.
(45° 9.35' N, -88° 45.89' W)
Whittier
Dist. # 8
UphamFirst Bldg: An old frame structure of Langlade Lumber Co. Camp No. 6 was rented for 1921-22 school session.
Second Bldg: brick structure erected 1922 probably in 36, T33N, R11E
(45° 17.80" N, -89° 3.79' W guess)
Wilson
Dist. # 4
EvergreenSee McKinley-Wilson District.
Wolf River
Dist. # 4
Wolf River/
Elton
See Langlade School. First Bldg: frame structure erected in 1890 just west of the bridge in Sec. 3, T31, R14E.
Second Bldg: frame structure erected "near the dugout" in Sec. 10.
Third Bldg: frame structure. One of the first two bldgs was used by a Mr. Shannon as a blacksmith shop.
Fourth Bldg: brick structure erected in 1908, NE 1/4, Sec 10, T31N, R14E.
(45° 11.37' N, -88° 43.55' W guess)
(I think location was on State Highway "64" not more than 1/2 mile east of State Highway "55." Need to verify this!)

face looking over break line

table of contents
Web Site TOC
send email
E-mail the Webmaster
Last Updated:

All Rights Reserved.