Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Antigo, Wisconsin Genealogy Gopher
City of Antigo and Langlade County, Wisconsin Genealogical Research Sources

Home > Map Research Tools > Civil Town Changes

face looking over break line

Changes in the Territory of Langlade County

Map 1
Michigan Border
Part of
T42N, R11E
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
Michigan Border
Part of
T42N, R12E
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
Michigan Border
Part of
T42N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
Michigan
T41N, R11E
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
T41N, R12E
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
Michigan Border
Part of
T41N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
Michigan Border
Part of
T41N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
T40N, R11E
Now Vilas Co.
Washington
T40N, R12E
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T40N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
T40N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
T39N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
Three Lakes
T39N, R12E
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T39N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
Argonne
T39N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Popple River
T38N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
Three Lakes
T38N, R12E
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T38N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
Argonne
T38N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Ross
T37N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
Piehl
T37N, R12E
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T37N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
Argonne
T37N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Ross & Caswell
T36N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
Monico
T36N, R12E
Now Forest Co.
Crandon
T36N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
Lincoln
T36N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Laona
T35N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
Schoepke
T35N, R12E
Now Forest Co.
North Nashville
T35N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
Lincoln
T35N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Laona
T34N, R11E
Now East Elcho
T34N, 12E
Now North Ainsworth
T34N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
South Nashville
T34N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Freedom
T33N, R11E
Now East Upham
T33N, R12E
Now South Ainsworth
T33N, R13E
Now North Langlade
T33N, R14E
Now North Wolf River
T32N, R11E
Now Neva
T32N, R12E
Now Price
T32N, R13E
Now South Langlade
T32N, R14E
Now Middle Wolf River
T31N, R11E
Now Antigo
T31N, R12E
Now Polar
T31N, R13E
Now Evergreen
T31N, R14E
Now South Wolf River
"New" County on February 27, 1879
It was attached to Shawano County for government and judicial purposes. At that time it consisted of 42 full townships and 5 partial townships covering territory in four different present day counties. No towns were named until 1881. By an act of the state legislature the name was changed to "Langlade" in February 1880.

1880 Census Towns

"New" County was created on February 27, 1879 and renamed "Langlade" in February 1880. However, no Towns were named by the Langlade County Board until February 19, 1881. This creates the interesting situation of the 1880 Federal Census. The 1880 census lists Langlade County as having the three enumeration districts of Carpenter, Langlade, and Springbrook. These may have also been the names of three districts having chairman on the Shawano County Board which had administrative jurisdiction for Langlade County. I am trying to find out what townships were in each of these districts? The problem is that sources I have checked say that the microfilm rolls of the census of Wisconsin for the 1880 Census do not have the enumeration district descriptions. That historical information seems to have been lost. So, I guess the only way to figure this out would be by checking the names and referencing to other resources to figure out as to which townships are in which districts!

Map 2
Michigan Border
Part of
T42N, R11E
Original Gagen
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
Michigan Border
Part of
T42N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
Michigan Border
Part of
T42N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
Michigan
T41N, R11E
Original Gagen
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
T41N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
Michigan Border
Part of
T41N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
Michigan Border
Part of
T41N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
T40N, R11E
Original Gagen
Now Vilas Co.
Washington
T40N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T40N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
T40N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
T39N, R11E
Original Gagen
Now Oneida Co.
Three Lakes
T39N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T39N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Argonne
T39N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Popple River
T38N, R11E
Original Gagen
Now Oneida Co.
Three Lakes
T38N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T38N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Argonne
T38N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Ross
T37N, R11E
Original Antigo
Now Oneida Co.
Piehl
T37N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T37N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Argonne
T37N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Ross & Caswell
T36N, R11E
Original Antigo
Now Oneida Co.
Monico
T36N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
Crandon
T36N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Lincoln
T36N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Laona
T35N, R11E
Original Antigo
Now Oneida Co.
Schoepke
T35N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
North Nashville
T35N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Lincoln
T35N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Laona
T34N, R11E
Original Antigo
Now East Elcho
T34N, 12E
Original Polar
Now North Ainsworth
T34N, R13E
Original Polar
Now Forest Co.
South Nashville
T34N, R14E
Original Polar
Now Forest Co.
Freedom
T33N, R11E
Original Antigo
Now East Upham
T33N, R12E
Original Polar
Now South Ainsworth
The
Lost
Nation
T32N, R11E
Original Antigo
Now Neva
T32N, R12E
Original Polar
Now Price
T31N, R11E
Original Antigo
Now Antigo
T31N, R12E
Original Polar
Now Polar
T30N, R11E
Original Milltown
Now Rolling
T30N, R12E
Original Milltown
Now Norwood
Menominee Reservation
"Langlade" County on February 19, 1881
The state legislature detached the "Lost Nation" area from Langlade and attached it to Shawano County. Six Towns within the county were established and named Rolling, Norwood, Antigo, Polar, Carpenter and Gagen.

Map 3
Michigan Border
Part of
T42N, R11E
Original Gagen
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
Michigan Border
Part of
T42N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
Michigan Border
Part of
T42N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
Michigan
T41N, R11E
Original Gagen
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
T41N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Vilas Co.
Phelps
Michigan Border
Part of
T41N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
Michigan Border
Part of
T41N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
T40N, R11E
Original Gagen
Now Vilas Co.
Washington
T40N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T40N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
T40N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Alvin
T39N, R11E
Original Gagen
Now Oneida Co.
Three Lakes
T39N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T39N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Argonne
T39N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Popple River
T38N, R11E
Original Gagen
Now Oneida Co.
Three Lakes
T38N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T38N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Argonne
T38N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Ross
T37N, R11E
Original Antigo
Neva (1883)
Pelican (1883)
Now Oneida Co.
Piehl
T37N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
Hiles
T37N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Argonne
T37N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Ross & Caswell
T36N, R11E
Original Antigo
Neva (1883)
Pelican (1883)
Now Oneida Co.
Monico
T36N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
Crandon
T36N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Lincoln
T36N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Laona
T35N, R11E
Original Antigo
Neva (1883)
Pelican (1883)
Now Oneida Co.
Schoepke
T35N, R12E
Original Gagen
Now Forest Co.
North Nashville
T35N, R13E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Lincoln
T35N, R14E
Original Carpenter
Now Forest Co.
Laona
T34N, R11E
Original Antigo
Neva (1883)
Now East Elcho
T34N, 12E
Original Polar
Price (1883)
Now North Ainsworth
T34N, R13E
Original Polar
Price (1883)
Now Forest Co.
South Nashville
T34N, R14E
Original Polar
Price (1883)
Now Forest Co.
Freedom
T33N, R11E
Original Antigo
Neva (1883)
Now East Upham
T33N, R12E
Original Polar
Price (1883)
Now South Ainsworth
T33N, R13E
Original Langlade
Now North Langlade
T33N, R14E
Original Langlade
Now North Wolf River
T32N, R11E
Original Antigo
Neva (1883)
Now Neva
T32N, R12E
Original Polar
Price (1883)
Now Price
T32N, R13E
Original Langlade
Now South Langlade
T32N, R14E
Original Langlade
Now Middle Wolf River
T31N, R11E
Original Antigo
Now Antigo
T31N, R12E
Original Polar
Now Polar
T31N, R13E
Original Langlade
Now Evergreen
T31N, R14E & West 12 Sections of R15E
Original Langlade
Now South Wolf River
T30N, R11E
Original Milltown
Now Rolling
T30N, R12E
Original Milltown
Now Norwood
Menominee Reservation
Langlade County in 1883
The state legislature directed Shawano County to detach the "Lost Nation" area from its territory and again attach it to Langlade County. Shawano County however did not comply and the legislature had to again order the detachment in 1885.

Map 4
T34N, R9E
Original Ackley
Now Parrish
T34N, R10E
Original Ackley
Now West Elcho
T34N, R11E
Original Antigo
Neva (1883)
Now East Elcho
T34N, 12E
Original Polar
Price (1883)
Cleveland (1884)
Now North Ainsworth
Forest Co.
T33N, R9E
Original Ackley
Now Summit
T33N, R10E
Original Ackley
Now West Upham
T33N, R11E
Original Antigo
Neva (1883)
Now East Upham
T33N, R12E
Original Polar
Price (1883)
Cleveland (1884)
Now South Ainsworth
T33N, R13E
Original Langlade
Now North Langlade
T33N, R14E
Original Langlade
Now North Wolf River
T32N, R9E
Original Ackley
Now Vilas
T32N, R10E
Original Ackley
Now Peck
T32N, R11E
Original Antigo
Neva (1883)
Now Neva
T32N, R12E
Original Polar
Price (1883)
Now Price
T32N, R13E
Original Langlade
Now South Langlade
T32N, R14E
Original Langlade
Now Middle Wolf River
T31N, R9E
Original Ackley
Now West Ackley
T31N, R10E
Original Ackley
Now East Ackley
T31N, R11E
Original Antigo
Now Antigo
T31N, R12E
Original Polar
Now Polar
T31N, R13E
Original Langlade
Now Evergreen
T31N, R14E
& West 12 Sections
of R15E
Original Langlade
Now South Wolf River
Marathon Co.T30N, R11E
Original Milltown
Now Rolling
T30N, R12E
Original Milltown
Now Norwood
Menominee Reservation
Langlade County in 1885
The state legislature again directed Shawano County to detach the "Lost Nation" area from its territory and again attach it to Langlade County. The legislature created Forest County by detaching all townships north of Township 34 from Langlade County and Township 34, Ranges 13 & 14. It also detached Townships 31, 32, 33, and 34, Ranges 9 and 10 from Lincoln County and attached this area known as the Town of Ackley to Langlade County. This outline shape of Langlade County has not changed with only changes in the territory of individual towns which are shown in town maps below.

Map 5
T30N, R11E
Original Milltown
Now Rolling
T30N, R12E
Original Milltown
Now Norwood
1898 Boundary Error Found in Statutes in 1907
Chapter 2, section 5, paragraph 5, Wisconsin Laws of 1898, gives a legal description of Langlade County which inadvertently cut off Rolling and Norwood. This error was not discovered for nine years until 1907, by E.F. Nelson, who represented Rolling township in the State Assembly. The error was quickly corrected by the legislature. However, legally Rolling and Norwood was not part of any county for those nine years.

face looking over break line

Changes in the Territory of Towns

Town of Ackley

T34N, R9E
Now Parrish
T34N, 10E
Now West Elcho
T33N, R9E
Now Summit
T33N, R10E
Now West Upham
T32N, R9E
Now Vilas
T32N, R10E
Now Peck
T31N, R9E
Now West Ackley
T31N, R10E
Now East Ackley
Town of Ackley on April 11, 1885
Ackley was created on March 4, 1879 in Lincoln County. Ackley became part of Langlade County on April 11, 1885 after it was detached from Lincoln County. At the time Ackley consisted of 8 townships.

T32N, R9E
Now Vilas
T32N, R10E
Now Peck
T31N, R9E
Now West Ackley
T31N, R10E
Now East Ackley
Town of Ackley on February 2, 1886
The Town of Summit was detached February 2, 1886. Then Summit and Ackley each consisted of 4 townships.

T31N, R9E
Now West Ackley
T31N, R10E
Now East Ackley
Town of Ackley on November 11, 1886
The Town of Vilas was detached November 11, 1886. Then Ackley and Vilas each consisted of 2 townships.

face looking over break line

Town of Ainsworth

T34N, R12E
Now North Ainsworth
T33N, R12E
Now South Ainsworth
Town of Ainsworth November 17, 1904
The Town of Ainsworth was organized on November 17, 1904 from territory that was detached from the Town of Langlade.

face looking over break line

Town of Antigo (Springbrook)

T37N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
T36N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
T35N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
T34N, R11E
Now East Elcho
T33N, R11E
Now East Upham
T32N, R11E
Now Neva
T31N, R11E
Now Antigo
Town of Antigo February 19, 1881
Before 1879 this territory was part of the Town of Langlade in Oconto County. On November 13, 1879 it was detached from Oconto to form "New" County called the Town of Springbrook and was under Shawano County administrative jurisdiction. All townships north of T31N, R11E were detached from the Town of Antigo January 11, 1883 to form the Town of Neva. Antigo has remained as one township ever since.

T31N, R11E
Now Antigo
Town of Antigo January 11, 1883
All townships north of T31N, R11E were detached from the Town of Antigo on January 11, 1883 to form the Town of Neva. Antigo has remained as one township in area ever since.

face looking over break line

Town of Carpenter

See Maps 1, 2, and 3 above for territory townships.
Town of Carpenter 1881-1885
The Town of Carpenter was created on February 19, 1881 and vacated on January 7, 1885.

face looking over break line

Town of Cleveland

T34N, R12E
Now North Ainsworth
T34N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
South Nashville
T34N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Freedon
T33N, R12E
Now South Ainsworth

Town of Cleveland November 15, 1884
The Town of Cleveland was created on November 15, 1884 from territory that at the time was in the Town of Price.

T34N, R12E
Now North Ainsworth
T34N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
South Nashville
T34N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Freedon
T33N, R12E
Now South Ainsworth

Town of Cleveland April 11, 1885
The Town of Cleveland was split in half on April 11, 1885 when T34N, 13E and T34N, 14E were attached to Forest County. The Town of Cleveland was vacated on November 15, 1886 and the remaining two townships attached to the Town of Langlade.

face looking over break line

Town of Elcho

T34N, R9E
Now Parrish
T34N, R10E
Now West Elcho
T34N, R11E
Now East Elcho
Town of Elcho on February 23, 1887.
On February 23, 1887 the County Board detached T34N, R9E and T34N, R10E from the Town of Summit and T34, R11E for the Town of Neva to create the Town of Elcho.

T34N, R10E
Now West Elcho
T34N, R11E
Now East Elcho
Town of Elcho on November 13, 1889.
On November 13, 1889 the County Board detached T34N, R9E from the Town of Elcho to create the Town of Parrish.

face looking over break line

Town of Elton (Wolf River)


T33N, R14E
Now North Wolf River

T32N, R14E
Now Now Middle Wolf River
T31N, R13E
Now Evergreen
T31N, R14E
Now South Wolf River
& West 12 sections of R15E
Town of Elton (Wolf River) on November 10, 1886.
On November 10, 1886 the County Board detached T31N, R13E; Towns 31, 32 and 33 North of Range 14 East; and the west 12 sections of T31N, R15E from the Town of Langlade to create the Town of Elton.

T33N, R14E
Now North Middle Wolf River
T32N, R14E
Now Now Middle Wolf River
T31N, R14E
Now South Wolf River
& West 12 sections of R15E
Town of Elton (Wolf River) on February 26, 1896.
On February 26, 1896 the County Board detached T31N, R13E from the Town of Elton (Wolf River) to create the Town of Wolf River (Evergreen). The Wolf River name was changed to the Town of Evergreen on May 19, 1896. Then on April 25, 1925 the name Town of Elton name was changed to the Town of Wolf River.

face looking over break line

Town of Evergreen (Wolf River)

T31N, R13E
Now Evergreen
Town of Evergreen (Wolf River) February 26, 1896
On February 26, 1896, the County Board detached T31N, R13 E from the Town of Elton (Wolf River) and created the Town of Wolf River (Evergreen). The named was changed from Wolf River to Evergreen on May 19, 1896.

face looking over break line

Town of Gagen

See Maps 1, 2, and 3 above for territory townships.
Town of Gagen 1881-1885
The Town of Gagen was created on February 19, 1881 and vacated on April 11, 1885.

face looking over break line

Town of Langlade (Lost Nation)

T33N, R13E
Now North Langlade
T33N, R14E
Now North Wolf River
T32N, R13E
Now South Langlade
T32N, R14E
Now Now Middle Wolf River
T31N, R13E
Now Evergreen
T31N, R14E
Now South Wolf River
Town of Langlade (Lost Nation) 1879-1881

The Town of Langlade was created on March 2, 1876 in Oconto County. On February 27, 1879 it was detached from Oconto and attached to "New" County. However, on February 19, 1881 the State Legislature detached this territory from Langlade County and attached it to Shawano County. This created the saga of the Lost Nation. In 1883 the State Legislature ordered the territory detached from Shawano County and returned to Langlade County. It was not until April 3, 1885 that an election of citizens created the Town of Langlade again as part of Langlade County.

T33N, R13E
Now North Langlade
T33N, R14E
Now North Wolf River
T32N, R13E
Now South Langlade
T32N, R14E
Now Now Middle Wolf River
T31N, R13E
Now Evergreen
T31N, R14E
& West 12 sections of R15E
Now South Wolf River
Town of Langlade April 3, 1885
The territory became part of Langlade County on the April 3, 1885 when an election was held establishing the Town of Langlade.

T33N, R13E
Now North Langlade
T32N, R13E
Now South Langlade
Town of Langlade November 10, 1886
On November 10, 1886 the County Board detached T31N, R13E; Towns 31, 32 and 33 North of Range 14 East; and the west 12 sections of T31N, R15E from the Town of Langlade to create the Town of Elton.

T34N, R12E
Now North Ainsworth

T33N, R12E
Now South Ainsworth
T33N, R13E
Now North Langlade

T32N, R13E
Now South Langlade
Town of Langlade November 15, 1886
On November 15, 1886 the County Board vacated the Town of Cleveland and attached T33N, R12E and T34N, R12E to the Town of Langlade.

T34N, R12E
Now North Ainsworth

T33N, R12E
Now South Ainsworth
T33N, R13E
Now North Langlade

T32N, R13E
Now South Langlade
Town of Langlade/Lily November 18, 1898
On November 18, 1898 the County Board created the Town of Lily. Two months later on, January 25, 1899, the Board rescinded the ordinance that created Lily and the Town of Langlade remained the same.

T33N, R13E
Now North Langlade
T32N, R13E
Now South Langlade
Town of Langlade November 17, 1904
On November 17, 1904 the County Board detached T33N, R12E and T34N, R12E from the Town of Langlade and created the Town of Ainsworth.

face looking over break line

Town of Lily

T33N, R13E
Now North Langlade
T32N, R13E
Now South Langlade
Town of Lily November 18, 1898
On November 18, 1898 the County Board created the Town of Lily. Two months later on, January 25, 1899, the Board rescinded the ordinance that created Lily and the Town of Langlade remained the same four townships.

face looking over break line

Town of Neva

T37N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
T36N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
T35N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
T34N, R11E
Now East Elcho
T33N, R11E
Now East Upham
T32N, R11E
Now Neva
Town of Neva January 11, 1883
All townships north of T31N, R11E were detached from the Town of Antigo on January 11, 1883 to form the Town of Neva.. A second source gives the date May 3, 1883?

T34N, R11E
Now East Elcho
T33N, R11E
Now East Upham
T32N, R11E
Now Neva
Town of Neva December 13, 1883
On December 13, 1883 townships 35, 36 and 37 were detached from the Town of Neva to form the Town of Pelican.

T34N, R11E
Now East Elcho
T33N, R11E
Now East Upham
T32N, R11E
Now Neva
Town of Neva April 11, 1885
On April 11, 1885 the State Legislature severed all townships north of T34N from Langlade County.

T33N, R11E
Now East Upham
T32N, R11E
Now Neva
Town of Neva February 23, 1887
On February 23, 1887, T34N, R11E was detached from the Town of Neva to become part of the Town of Elcho.

T32N, R11E
Now Neva
Town of Neva November 16, 1894
On November 16, 1894, T33N, R11E was detached from the Town of Neva to become part of the Town of Upham. Neva has remained one township in area ever since.

face looking over break line

Town of Norwood (Milltown)

T30N, R11E
Now Rolling
T30N, R12E
Now Norwood
Town of Norwood (Milltown) February 19, 1881
The Town of Milltown (or Mill) was detached February 19, 1881 from Shawano County and attached to Langlade County. Norwood and Rolling were not part of the original "New" County in 1879, but were two of the six original named towns of the county in 1881.

T30N, R12E
Now Norwood
Town of Norwood (Milltown) February 19, 1881
Milltown was separated into two Towns of Norwood and Rolling on April 15, 1881.Norwood was once part of Towns of Hutchinson and then Milltown (Mill) when part of Shawano County.

face looking over break line

Town of Parrish

T34N, R9E
Now Parrish
Town of Parrish on November 13, 1889
and November 13, 1923

On November 13, 1889, T34N, R9E was detached from the Town of Summit and created the Town of Parrish. On January 25, 1899 the County Board vacated the Town of Parrish and attached T34N, R9E to the Town of Summit again. However, on November 13, 1923 the County Board detached T34N, R9E from the Town of Summit and recreated the Town of Parrish.

face looking over break line

Town of Peck

T32N, R10E
Now Peck
Town of Peck on January 28, 1891
On January 28, 1891 T32N, R9E was detached from the Town of Vilas and was used to create the Town of Peck.

face looking over break line

Town of Pelican

T37N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
T36N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
T35N, R11E
Now Oneida Co.
Town of Pelican December 13, 1883
On December 13, 1883 towns 35, 36 and 37 were detached from the Town of Neva to form the Town of Pelican. Pelican remained a Town in Langlade County until it was attached to Forest County April 11, 1885.

face looking over break line

Town of Polar

T34N, R12E
Now North Ainsworth
T34N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
South Nashville
T34N, R14E
Now Forest Co.
Freedom
T33N, R12E
Now South Ainsworth

T32N, R12E
Now Price
T31N, R12E
Now Polar
Town of Polar on February 19, 1881
On February 19, 1881 Polar was one of the six original named towns.

T31N, R12E
Now Polar
Town of Polar on December 13, 1883
On December 13, 1883 Townships 32, 33, and 34 of Ranges 13 and 14 East were detached from the Town of Polar and created the Town of Price. Polar has been one township in area ever since.

face looking over break line

Town of Price

T34N, R12E
Now North Ainsworth
T34N, R13E
Now Forest Co.
South Nashville
T34N, R, 14E
Now Forest Co.
Freedom
T33N, R12E
Now South Ainsworth

T32N, R12E
Now Price
Town of Price on December 13, 1883
On December 13, 1883 Townships 32, 33, and 34 of Range 12 and Town 34 or Ranges 13 and 14 East were detached from the Town of Polar and used to create the Town of Price.

T32N, R12E
Now Price
Town of Price on November 12/15, 1884
On November 12/15, 1884 Townships 33, and 34 of Range 12 and Town 34 or Ranges 13 and 14 East were detached from the Town of Price and used to create the Town of Cleveland. The Town of Price has remained one township in area ever since.

face looking over break line

Town of Rolling (Milltown)

T30N, R11E
Now Rolling
T30N, R12E
Now Norwood
Town of Rolling (Milltown) February 19, 1881
The Town of Milltown (or Mill) was detached February 19, 1881 from Shawano County and attached to Langlade County. Rolling and Norwood were not part of the original "New" County in 1879, but were two of the six original named towns of the county in 1881.

T30N, R11E
Now Rolling
Town of Rolling (Milltown) April 15, 1881
Milltown was separated into two Towns of Rolling and Norwood on April 15, 1881. Rolling was once part of Towns of Hutchinson and then Milltown (Mill) when part of Shawano County.

face looking over break line

Town of Springbrook

Which townships made up territory is not known.
Town of Springbrook on November 13, 1879

The name was changed to "Antigo" on February 19, 1881 when the six original towns of Langlade County were created and named. Springbrook was an administrative district represented by a chairman on the Shawano County Board which had administrative jurisdiction for Langlade County at this time. It also was an enumeration district on the Federal 1880 Census. There were also two other enumeration districts for the county. They were named Carpenter and Langlade. The townships in their area is also not known because the enumeration district descriptions are not on the microfilmed rolls of the 1880 census of Wisconsin. These descriptions seemed to be lost to history for Wisconsin and several other states.

face looking over break line

Town of Summit

T34N, R9E
Now Parrish
T34N, R10E
Now West Elcho
T33N, R9E
Now Summit
T33N, R10E
Now West Upham
Town of Summit on February 28, 1886
On February 28, 1886 Townships 33 and 34 of ranges 9 and 10 East were detached from the Town of Ackley and created the Town of Summit.

T33N, R9E
Now Summit
T33N, R10E
Now West Upham
Town of Summit on February 23, 1887
On February 23, 1887 Township 34 of ranges 9 and 10 East were detached from the Town of Summit and used to create part of the Town of Elcho.

T33N, R9E
Now Summit
Town of Summit on November 16, 1894
On November 16, 1894, T33N, R10E (with the exception of sections 32 and 33.) and T34N, R10E (with the exception of sections 34, 35, and 36 that were attached to Upham. In November 1902 these section were detached from Upham and joined to Elcho. Also in November 1902 sections 31, 32 and 33 were taken from Summit and attached to Upham.) was detached from the Town of Summit and used to create part of the Town of Upham.

T34N, R9E
Now Parrish
T33N, R9E
Now Summit
Town of Summit on January 25, 1899
On January 25, 1899, the County Board vacated the Town of Parrish and again attached T34N, R93 to the Town of Summit.

T33N, R9E
Now Summit
Town of Summit on November 13, 1923
On November 13, 1923, the County Board again detached T34N, R93 from the Town of Summit and recreated the Town of Parrish.

face looking over break line

Town of Upham

T33N, R10E
Now West Upham
T33N, R11E
Now East Upham
Town of Upham on November 16, 1894
On November 16, 1894, T33N, R10E (minus sections 31, 32 and 33.) was detached from the Town of Summit and T33N, R11E was detached from the Town of Neva to create the Town of Upham. See the Town of Summit for some sections that were not added to Upham until November 1902.

face looking over break line

Town of Vilas

T32N, R9E
Now Vilas
T32N, R10E
Now Peck
Town of Vilas on November 11, 1886
On November 11, 1886, T32N, R9E and T32N, R10E were detached from the Town of Ackley and created the Town of Vilas.

T32N, R9E
Now Vilas
Town of Vilas on January 28, 1891
On January 28, 1891 East Vilas (T32N, R9E) was detached and became the Town of Peck. Vilas has remained one township in area since.

face looking over break line

Town of Wolf River

See Elton (Wolf River)

face looking over break line

table of contents
Web Site TOC
send email
E-mail the Webmaster
Last Updated:

All Rights Reserved.