Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Antigo, Wisconsin Genealogy Gopher
City of Antigo and Langlade County, Wisconsin Genealogical Research Sources

Home > Historical Places, Pictures & People > Stopping Places

face looking over break line

Early Stopping Places on the Lake Superior Trail & Military Road

NAMEINFORMATION
Fred Dodge Located in Sec 19, T32N, R14E, Middle Wolf River, near Hollister in 1877.
Christopher Hill
and
Horace Rice
Cabins
Three Log Cabins on Military Road erected in 1874. Sec. 31, N31N, R15E, just north of Menominee Indian Reservation. Later they built larger lodge-like log structure at Dobbston. It became the first of northern Wisconsin's fishing resorts having tourists come from as far away as the Atlantic Coast and the Southern United States.
George Gardner His first place was located in Sec. 26, T31N, R14E, South Wolf River, on the Lake Superior Trail. His second place was located on the Military Road in Sec 30, T31N, R15E, South Wolf River. He sold his place to Amessey Smith.
Charles Larzelere Located in Sec 10, T31, R14E. He began his stopping place in 1872. Located on the SE corner of State Highways "55" and "64." Later the Walters Family operated businesses on the location.
"Old Dutch Frank" Sec. 17, T33N, R13E, North Langlade, on Lake Superior Trail. No one knows what his surname was. He sold place to Henry Strauss about 1867.
Hi Polar Name also sometimes spelled "Poler." First name sometimes "Hy," "Hiram," "H.B." Located in NW, Sec. 34, T34N, R12E, North Ainsworth. On the east side of State Highway "55" just south of Pickerel Creek. The property later belonged to John Wilcox. (45° 23.48' N, -88° 58.31' W)
Amessey Smith Smith bought the George Gardner place and then sold it to Chris Wheeler. In 1876 Smith then started a place in Sec. 27, T33N, R13E, North Langlade, near Lily.
Strauss's Landing Henry Strauss bought from "Old Dutch Frank" about 1867. Sec. 17, T33N, R13E, North Langlade, along the Wolf River and State Highway 55. The Lake Superior Trail crossed the Wolf River here.
John Yates In 1872 he started a place one hundred rods down the Wolf River from Charles Larzelere's place. Robert Gilray bought the place from Yates and then Albert Wood bought it from Yates.

face looking over break line

face looking over break line

table of contents
Web Site TOC
send email
E-mail the Webmaster
Last Updated:

All Rights Reserved.