Village of Casper, Town of Vilas, Langlade County, Wisconsin A Ghost Town
What remained of the Casper Boarding House in 2002.
Some old maps spell the name "Casper" and others "Kasper."
There was a early Vilas town supervisor by the name of George Kasper this community may have been named after?
Forest View School was located one-half mile to the east.
Located NE 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec 29, T32N, R9E, Intersection of County Highway "C" and McCloud Road, just to the west of the intersection on the south side of Highway "C." (45° 14.02'N, -89° 23.76'W)
The community was the home to many loggers while working in the nearby woods. The lumber going to the Screen Door Company and sawmills in Antigo and Heinemann. Boxcars of potatoes were also shipped from the area to market.
Railroad tracks laid from Antigo in 1902-1903.
However, one mile south of Casper tracks also branched off and continued northeast crossing highway "C" just to the east of S. Pratt Road and twisted its way all the way up to section 31 in Summit Township where it ended. The Heinemann Lumber Company owned a large amount of land in this township. After the Heinemann Lumber Mill burned down on July 13, 1911 the community started its journey to ghost town status.
Tracks were removed in 1929.
Today one can drive through the area and not even realize they are driving through what once was a prosperous community. The original buildings are gone and a new home and pine trees are planted on the land now.
Book: Not Long Ago, 1879-1979, The Langlade County Centennial Story by Larry Van Goethem
Book: Vilas Township: Then and Now, by Joyce Rossmanith, 2002.
Antigo Daily Journal, Hidden Places Series, December 1, 2007.
Antigo Daily Journal, December 19, 2007, "What People Say," page 4, Letter from Joyce Rossmanith with location information.