|Antigo, Wisconsin Genealogy Gopher|
|City of Antigo and Langlade County, Wisconsin Genealogical Research Sources|
|Home > Civil Towns > Summit|
Summit District No. 1, (Sleepy Hollow)
When the first settlers arrived in the Callsen district John Cummings, who emigrated from Aberdeen, Scotland, took up 160 acres of homestead land in 1883 on section 19 of South Summit township. Following him came Frank and Anton Wildman, who settled on sections 17 and 19 respectively. They also arrived in 1883. Other pioneer settlers were Robert and John Holland who took up land on sections 19 and 30 respectively. It was not but a short time beore other settlers arrived. Frank Kursts and Thomas Griese came into the district and settled on section 30. In 1884 Conrad Dore moved into the district taking a location in the northeast part of section 32. Phillip Atkins came at the same time establishing himself on section 29. He homesteaded the south quarter of the section.
The first school in the district was a log cabin erected on the Robert Cummings property in southeastern section 19. Miss Emma Dore was the first teacher. Six pupils were in attendance. The log school was used for many years until a frame building was erected on section 29. The 1921-22 school officials were Robert Cummings, Clerk; Wenzel Wildman, Treasurer, and Otto Bergman, Director.
This district has an area of 5,600 acres of land. Sections 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 29, 30, 31 and all of section 32 except the southeast quarter are in its limits. It was once known as District No. 5.
Their are many sections of the district not inhabited. Those parts where settlers have cleared farms is modern and progressive. Telephones, rural free delivery, splendid county roads, all aid in the general advancement of the district.
But few of the original settlers still reside here. Most of them have moved away or are now dead.
The soil of Sleepy Hollow is chiefly Spencer silt loam, with a little peat. The Pine river runs through section 33, nearby. (Section 33 is in district No. 3.)
The Lutheran cemetery of Bavaria is located in this district in section 16.
Summit District No. 2, (Sunny Slope)
Sunny Slope District comprises all of sections 15, 21, 22, 27, 28, the west half of section 36, all of sections 33, 34, 35 and the southeast quarter of section 32 in South Summit township, embracing an area of land containing 5,600 acres. It received its name from the picturesque slope on which the district school is located.
The first settlers to homestead arrived in the district in 1884. Carl Dumjohn, Frank Tomany, George Zagel, Stephen Simon and son, C.G. Simon, August Zelm, Henry Zelm, George King (now a resident of Rocky Glen district), Michael Pilhofer, John Strobel, Julius Bergman, Conrad Hauenstein and A. Leistikow came into the district between 1884 and 1888.
The first settlers had to walk to Dudley for provisions and for many years mail was hauled over poor trails and marshy roads to the settlement. Mr. Simon was the pioneer mail carrier, who would go to Dudley and return three times a week with the government mail.
The first school was located on section 28 in 1889. Meanwhile Albert Leistikow sold the school district a building for school purposes. An acre of ground was secured from Stephen Simon at a cost of $5. The school was 16x20 feet and the floor of rough pine lumber. It was ready for the fall term of 1889. Fred Kasten, Stephen Simon and Frank Nibler were the first Director, Treasurer and Clerk of the district. Fred Kasten, Frank Nibler and Frank Tomany were in charge of the building of the first school. Early teachers were Lizzie Griese, Celema M. Lavague, Mary Higgins, Emma Molzberger, A.M. Bessey, Elma M. Snyder, Margaret Slover, Miss Filby, Nellie Boyle, Lottie Hinch, Emma Nordman, Nellie Tracy. The 1922-23 teacher was Eleanor Greeland. The 1922-23 school officials were C.G. Simon, Clerk; J.L. Steger, Director; G.M. Simon, Treasurer.
In 1898 a second log school was built on land leased from George Zagel, who received $27 for clearing it. This site was the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 27. Here a school was built at a cost of $300. It was 22x32 feet in dimensions. Stephen Simon erected it for the district. It was used until the modern school of red brick was built by C.D. Clark at a cost of $4,400. He was awarded the contract March 5, 1917.
BAVARIA is the chief settlement of the district. A post office was opened in 1906 with Stephen Simon as postmaster. The office was retained until rural free delivery was secured in the district, May 1, 1921. It is route No. 1 from Gleason, Wis. Bavaria was named after the kingdom of Bavaria, which next to Prussia, was the second largest state in the once German Empire. Many of the settlers came from that state.
A Lutheran Evangelical church is located on the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 21, just opposite the town hall. The Lutheran minister from Gleason serves the community.
Fred Molzberger opened a general store at Bavaria on section 34 in 1913. In 1920 it was moved to section 33 where it is now operated.
Floyd Hurlbutt of Parrish, continuation district No. 1, erected a mill on section 34 in 1915. He sold it in 1917 to Fred Molzberger, who after running for two years, sold it to Doering Brothers. It was then moved to Doering, Wis., a nearby village. The only sawmill now in the district is owned by Ed. Walberger. It is located on section 33. He came to the district in May, 1922.
A cheese factory, located on the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 34 was erected many years ago. It changes ownership frequently.
The S. Webster and the C.W. Matt stores are nearby but are located on sections in Vilas township, across the main highway.
The Lutheran cemetery nearby is in Sleepy Hollow district.
The Summit township hall is located on the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 22 in this district. It has been repaired many times. It is located on highway "H."
The thrift and progressive traits of the settlers are reflected in their fine farms and modern buildings.
Summit District No. 3, (Rocky Glen)
Much of this region is still unsettled and great tracts of timber still stand within its boundaries. Lumbering and logging has been the principal industry. This district was set off in 1889, ten years after the first log school was erected. April 12, 1889, the first school district was created. Many of the early settlers homesteaded in 1886. William Knak, George Koch, Carl Shadewald, John Gnahn, Herman Pohl, S. Bruckner, George Hufnagel, Joseph Hufnagel, George Herbst, John Herbst, George and John King, and Frank Kowsky and others all were early settlers.
The first school, log cabin, was erected in 1889 on section 11. It was a 16x20 cabin. Karl Hammer erected the first school. It being completed September 20, 1889. The school ground was leased from Charles Schadewald. The school ground was cleared by Joseph Hufnagel. G.T. Conant, the first teacher, received $30 per month salary. Other early teachers were Emma Ketner, second teacher; others were: Anna D. C. Gropp, Emma Nordman, Emma Gleason, Jane Reader, Nellie Boyle, V.R. Berkman, Agnes Camic, and Albert Boettcher. The 1922-23 teacher was Echo Robbins. Wilhelm Knak, John Herbst and George Koch were the first Director, Treasurer and Clerk of this district. Eight children attended the first school.
In 1903 John King erected the frame school now used, section 11, at a cost of $800. The building is 26x36 and 12 feet high. The job was let to Mr. King, August 13, 1902. The old log school was then sold July 21, 1902, to J. King at $1.55.
The Langlade Lumber Company has been instrumental in bringing in many new settlers into the district, they having located 145 settlers in their cut-over lands thus far.
The district soil is chiefly Spencer silt loam. Gloucester sandy loam and in the marshy areas peat is found, more noticeable at the intersection quarter post of sections 1, 2, 11, 12. The region is hilly and rocky.
In 1923 a new road from this district to Summit Lake will be constructed.
Many old logging roads, old railroad beds and wrecked camp sites are still visible.
Summit District No. 4 (Callsen)
The district is located in the northern part of township 33 and the southern part of township 34. It was first organized in the year of 1887, as a part of the town of Elcho. In 1880 it was organized as a part of the town of Parrish. It remained this way until the year 1900, when this town united with the town of Summit.
When the first settlers came here this country was a virgin forest. They had to cut their own roads through to a suitable spot where they settled on their homesteads. They cleared away the land and any hardy crop could be grown for the soil was rich and fertile. They were out of the way of any village or city. The trade was mostly carried on with Merrill or Elcho, as Dudley was not built up then. This was a thick forest which made the game very plentiful.
The following is the list of the first homesteads which are now turned into fertile farms: Frank Lee, first settler, 40 years; Chris Callsen, second, 37 years; D. Callsen, second, 37; Edward Rosbach, third, 37; Charley Hassman, fourth, 36; Bernard Holeman, fifth, 35; Alfred Wright, sixth, 34.
The first school that was built in this district was a half mile east of the present location. It was taught by Miss Lizzie Greise. It was moved to the present grounds about twenty-five years ago. In 1917 it burned and a new modern school was built in 1918.
The soil of this district is of a clay loam and is suitable for the growing of potatoes, grain and vegetable crops. Root crops are raised, though mostly rutabagas. Corn does not flourish well on account of the occasional killing frosts. Dairying is being carried on to a great extent and is an important industry of this district.
Some of the boys are interested in poultry raising which has already been started. It is hoped to be more profitable in future years.
In the winter the farmers are busy logging. Many logging camps are built at suitable places where the timber is thick. The logs are hauled to Parrish where they are cut into lumber. The people were very busy last year for more logging was done than any other year lately.
The modern improvements of late years are houses by Mr. John Callsen and a new house built by Mr. Halvor Grannun. The State Road or the County Trunk Line that passes through the northern part of our district was greatly improved during the past year. The people of this district live about thirty-five miles from the city of Antigo and thirty miles from Merrill. The nearest town which is Parrish, is three miles away.
The trade is carried on with Parrish and Dudley. Some of the cream is shipped to the Fairmont Creamery, as there are no cheese factories near here. All the mail is received from the Parrish Post Office for there are no mail routes running through this district.
The present school officers are: John Callsen, Clerk; Henry Brendemihl, Treasurer; Halvor Grannun, Director.
They meet at the school house each year at the annual meeting the first Monday in July to conduct business. Special meetings, which are necessary are held during the different periods of the year.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
The year Antigo was divided into two camps as a result of an unsuccessful attempt to incorporate it as a city, a man, full of determination and energy, staked a homestead for himself in the wild virgin forest of this district. This man, Frank Lee, was not long a solitary mortal in the region of pine and hardwood forests. Two years later, in 1885, Stedson and Christopher Callsen, taking with them their worldly belongings, left Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to make a home in that land, which has been the choice of the intrepid Frank Lee. Others who followed were Edward Rosbach, Charles Haasman, Otto and Bernard Holtman, Alfred Wright, Gustav Brendemihl, Henry Brendemihl and Conrad De Horn, all sturdy pioneers of the new north.
The Callsen district comprises all of sections 7, 8, 9 and the west half of section 10, all of section 4, 5 and 6, the west quarter of section 3, a small strip of sections 1, 2 and 3 of South Summit township and all of sections 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 of North Summit together with the south halves of sections 25 to 30 inclusive. The district has an area of 11,568 acres. The district has three types of soil, Gloucester sandy loam, Spencer silt loam and peat.
This district was organized in 1887 as a part of Elcho township and remained as such until 1890 when Parrish township was detached from Elcho. Then it was organized as District No. 1 and for nine years it remained in that status until 1899, when upon the reorganization of Summit township it became district No. 4, by which it is now known.
After preparing their homesteads for crops, building their log cabins and opening up some communication with the outside world, the pioneer settlers turned their attention to education of their children. In the year 1886 a log school was erected at the quarter post of sections 29 and 32. Ten children attended from the Haasman, Callsen and Rosbach families and were taught by Miss Lizzie Giese. Seven years later the log school gave way to the first frame school, erected in 1893 on the northeast corner of section 31. Miss Emma Castellion was the first teacher in charge. Frank Lee, Clerk; Detlof Callsen, Director, and Ed. Rosbach, Treasurer, had charge of the first school activities in this district in 1887. The 1922-23 school officials were John Callsen, a son of Detlof Callsen, as Clerk; Henry Brendemihl as Treasurer and Halvor Granum of Director. Miss Laurette Friebel was the 1922-23 teacher.
In October, 1916, the frame school was destroyed by fire. The children were housed temporarily in a log building nearby. School opened in 1917 in a modern $5,600 brick school erected by the Frazer Lumber Company of Appleton. It is on the site of the old frame structure, section 31. Early teachers in this territory were Anna Jensen, Alice Huntington, Martha Marsilliot, Jesse Waste, Blanche Kilkelly, Florence Bunton and Jeannie Lang.
There is one stream of importance in Callsen district, Haymeadow Creek.
Pioneer loggers were The Prairie River Lumber Company, J.C. Hollis and Paul Krueger, or the Parrish Lumber Company, Detlof and Christopher Callsen and John Callsen.
The office of the Summit township clerk, John Callsen, is in this district.
The district presents a vivid contrast today to that time in 1885 when the first settlers had to walk to Elcho, a hamlet in the wilderness, for provisions, flour and other necessities. Now it has splendid farms, telephones, splendid residences and while highways are few those that are found are good. The region is steadily forging ahead.
Web Site TOC
E-mail the Webmaster
All Rights Reserved.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids