|Antigo, Wisconsin Genealogy Gopher|
|City of Antigo and Langlade County, Wisconsin Genealogical Research Sources|
|Home > Civil Towns > Rolling|
Rolling District No. 1 (Hillside)
This district was organized in the year of 1879. Some of the first settlers were Joseph Lenzner Sr., Charles Schroeder, Louis Zahn, John Linsdau, Phil Bray, Al Mosher, Joseph Guenthner, Sr., Latt Wright and Bernard Wright.
These hardy pioneers were very energetic and bore many hardships in making homes for themselves, for the country was very wild, sparsely settled, with no roads, with the exception of trails through the woods.
In a country, new and unsettled, there are many drawbacks and among these was the great question of educating their children. Like all progressive people, they know that this was very essential and were soon busy in organizing a school district.
The first school officers elected were Charles Schroeder, treasurer; Joseph Guenthner, director and Louis Zahn, clerk. Mr. Bray's log house served as the school house. Mrs. Bray acting as teacher. Among the first pupils were John Lenzner, Frank Schroeder, Gustave Schroeder, Rose Lenzner, Will Wright, Edward Zahn, Anna Guenthner, Edward Guenthner and Eliza Wright.
It was a very rude affair, having only the most necessary articles of furniture. As the people were poor they could not think of expending much money but willingly did all they could otherwise. Some of the most skillful men made the seats and desks. The room was heated by an old fashioned box stove placed in the center of the room, with no thought of ventilation. Mrs. Bray still continued to teach for another year, after which Miss Jennie O' Heron took her place.
Improvements were made from time to time, and as the country became more thickly settled, the number of pupils increased.
Before many years had elapsed. It could be seen that this little building was deficient in many ways. It was becoming crowded, and the school house, not being in the center of the district, compelled some of the pupils to come great distances, over very poor roads, some of which were mere cow trails.
The new school house was completed in 1893, and is still in use. It was built on a larger scale than the old one, and is spacious enough to seat fifty-two pupils, there also being a cloak room. Many modern improvements have been added such as teacher's desk, a sanitary drinking fountain, a twelve-inch globe, a map case with a set of maps. One very great improvement was made when our school was completely equipped with fine new single adjustable seats. These have added materially not only to the comfort of the pupils, but also to the appearance of the room. In addition to the text books, dictionaries and reference books furnished by the district, we have a fine library containing three hundred seventeen volumes. In one corner of the room is placed a "Smith Heating Plant," which give sufficient heat and ventilates the room.
The school house is situated on a hillside from which it receives its name. Thick groves of trees and sumach shrubs surround the school yard. These are especially beautiful in the fall, when the leaves are tinted with their many colors.
With such equipment and provision of all necessary supplies, there is no reason why children of this district cannot obtain a good Grammar school education.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
District No. 1, Rolling township is situated in the northeastern part of the township. It consists of sections Nos. 1, 2, 11, 12, 13 and 14 and contains 3,840 acres.
District No. 1 originally was known as District No. 6 of the town of Milltown Shawano County (before attached to Langlade). Its boundaries have never been materially changed, since it was created April 17, 1880. April 24, 1880, at a meeting at the Carl Schroeder home, section 14, Isaac Nobel, Carl Schroeder and Philip Bray were chosen first Director, Treasurer and Clerk respectively.
The first school a log cabin was built on the NE 1/4 of section 13. John Lenzner gave one acre of land to the district for school purposes. April 23, 1881, the district number was changed to District No. 1. The first term of school was for three months in winter, an intermission, and then a summer session lasting three months. The first teachers received an average of $25.00 per month as compared with a salary of $75.00 to $90.00 now. The second school was authorized June 15, 1896. Herman Laehn was awarded the contract at $525.00. Before the erection of the first log school, Mrs. Phillip Bray, the first teacher, taught the children the rudiments of an elementary education at her log home, section 12. The present school is on the SW 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of section 12.
Other early teachers were: Jennie O'Hearn, Lizzie O'Hearn, Amy Furgeson, Maggie Canty, H. Dunn, E. Nolan, E.J. Couch, F.R. Churchouse, G.W. Bliss, F.L. Burdick, A.J. Burbank, Miss L. Rynders, Clara Taylor, H.C. Logan. Miss Christina Folk was the teacher in 1922-23.
The first pupils to attend public school in the district were: Frank, William, Gustav, Robert and Herman Schroeder, Ida Schroeder, Jos. Guenthner, Jr., Adam Guenthner, Lawrence Guenthner, Rose Lenzner, Perry, Millie, Libbie, Elsie and Claude Gillett.
Pioneer settlers immigrated into this district as early as 1878. Among them were: Isaac Noble, Carl Schroeder, Phillip Bray, Louis Zahn, T.A. Gillett, Jos. Guenthner, Sr., John Lenzner and John Linsdau.
The district is a splendid agricultural district, which has emerged from a wilderness of almost fifty years ago to a prosperous section of Langlade County. By frugality, diligence and hard labors the settlers have developed some of the splendid farms of which the county has privilege to boast.
The school officials of 1922-23 were: Frank Schroeder, Clerk; Robert Schroeder, Treasurer and Harry Lyons, Director.
Trunk Line No. 32 is located in the district.
many of the early settlers and now the new generation of the district play an important part in Rolling township affairs.
Since its organization there have been on churches, cemeteries, saw mills or cheese factories within the district boundaries. This is recorded for future reference.
Rolling District No. 2, (Strassburg)
This district is located in the southeastern part of Rolling township. Its territory comprises all the civil sections of the townships 23, 24, 25, 26 and 36 and the east half of sections 22 and 35 and the SW 1/4 of section 22. Its area is 4,000 acres. The district was named by the settlers in honor of Strassburg, ancient capital of Alsace-Lorraine.
One year before the settlement was made between the duly accredited representatives of Norwood and Rolling townships an important meeting was held by the first homesteaders and pioneers for the purpose of solving the educational vicissitudes confronting them. Their children were growing, new settlers were arriving, and the hardy folk recognizing the value of temples of learning because of their own deficiencies, petitioned for a new school area. The request was granted by the Supervisors of Milltown Township (Shawano County) and District No. 7 was created. It originally consisted of sections 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 34, 35 and 36 or 5,760 acres. By a resolution adopted April 23, 1881, the number of the district was changed to District No. 2, (first action of the Board of Supervisors of Rolling, 1881). The district was organized April 17, 1880.
The first sessions were held at the residence of Henry Peters, one of the first Supervisors of Rolling township. This property is now owned by Albert Pagel, who runs a store. The first school, log construction, was erected on this site and after a number of years service burned. The first school officers were: Henry Peters, Clerk; Charles Peters, Treasurer and August Winnege, Director. The 1922-23 school officers were: Charles Vorass, Clerk; Julius Winnege, Treasurer and Anton Peters, Director.
Henry Peters, August Winnege and Terrence McCann were the building committee members who had charge of the first school, which was 18x24 and 12 feet high. Philip Schweitzer erected it at a cost of $140. The present school was erected in 1893 by B. Garrity.
August 1, 1881, the valuation of assessment for District No. 2 was as follows: Real estate--$8,320; Personal Property--$396.56; Total--$8,716.56. September 26, 1881, the amount of taxes voted to be raised within District No. 2 was two hundred dollars which was assessed upon the taxable property therein.
March 2, 1882, the amount of school money apportioned to this district was $16.90.
Early settlers in this district were: Charles Volkman, August Winnege, Ph. Sweitzer, Anton Sensenbrenner, William Peters, Charles Peters, Henry Peters, Charles Vorass, Sr., Charles Vorass, Jr., T. McCann, J.G. Bauenfiend, T. Barnes, G. Klopstein, C. Doine, George Vanderhei, Louis Jordan, F. Leubcke, Sr., F. Jordan, John Martin, G. Trunz, James Weaver, Anton Weber and others.
Wella Peters, now Mrs. Henry Keen, and Ida Schroeder, Now Mrs. Charles Vorass, Jr., were first and second white children born in this section of Rolling township.
Miss Lucy Grignon was the first teacher. She was followed by Minnie Moss, Minnie E. Jones, Effie Derby, Ella Rynders, Matilda Ferguson, Ellen McConnell, C.C. Williams, Della Nye, Clara Taylor, Matie Trettien, all of whom were pioneer school teachers. Miss Elizabeth Folk taught in 1922-23.
The principal pioneer industry was the saw mill erected in 1883 by Henry Peters on the NE 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of section 24. He sold the property to the Mattoon Lumber Company, who after operating successful sold to John Dailey. Mr. Dailey suffered a loss by fire. He re-built the mill only to have it burn again. A store was operated in connection with the mill. John Dailey later became Mayor of Antigo and an account of his administration is found in Chapter XXV.
A community grew miracuously while the saw mill operated. Thus a post office was opened. Henry Peters and Anton Sensenbrenner were the postmasters.
Present industries are the cheese factory purchased January 28, 1916 by D. Korth from the farmers co-operative unit in this district and the John Pagel store.
There are thirty progressive and industrious farmers residents in this district. It is in rural free delivery division number three. The Rolling Mutual Telephone service connects the settlers with Antigo, county seat or with other centers. Still a young district, its future is full of promise.
Rolling District No. 3, (Sunnyside)
The first resolution of the township Board of Supervisors, April 23, 1881, was to change the number of the different district schools in the township. District No. 7 then became District No. 3, of which mention is now made. While the district was set off as such in 1881, it was not until 1885 that a school house was erected on a clearing donated by Charles Herman, who was the first County Sheriff. The school, of log construction, was one room and was situated in the northwest corner of the district. Miss Hattie B. Vasburgh was the first teacher.
District No. 3 has the distinction of possessing fine agricultural lands. As fast as the white pine forests were cut settlers took up the cut-over land.
The first settlers arrived in this region in 1878, three years before the coming of the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western. James Quinn, the Vetelle family, George Hall, Solon Hall, George Connor, Charles Herman, Roy Ferguson, August Duchrow, John Monroe, Mr. Thompson, who was a trapper and fox hunter, Charles Blamberg, William Gropp, James E. Monroe, Walter Bryant, Albert Smith, Rudolph King, George Schraml, Hiram Tenant, R.H. Buck, all were pioneer settlers. Later settlers, who may rightfully be classed as pioneers, were: Frank Kozarek, Albert Stone, Martin Marchiniak, Martin Murasky, Andrew Jahnkowsky, Anton Antoniewicz, Steven Noskowiak, Fred Becker, George Grall, Sam P. Nelson, Otto Hanke and Steven Scott.
It was not uncommon for the early pioneer to cart supplies and foodstuffs from Wausau or points farther away. The old corduroy roads, the marshes and rough oxen carts made the journey weary and tedious.
Mention has been made of the first log school, which was replaced by the present splendid frame structure located on the NE 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of section 10. It was erected in 1888. An addition to accommodate its growing needs, was erected in 1908. Early District No. 3 teachers were: Hattie B. Vosburgh, Laura Thomas, Addie E. Hill, Mary Bertherison, Henry F. Herman, John Schaen, Effie Gray, Anna Gropp, A.M. Arveson. Mrs. Irma Larzelere was the teacher in 1921-22. The first school board consisted of Charles Herman, George Connor and George Hall. The 1921-22 school board consisted of Martin Kozarek, J.E. Monroe and Walter Bryant.
There has been no recent territorial changes in District No. 3, which consists of sections 3, 4 ,9,10, 15 and 16.
In the early days the settlers, after a busy day clearing land, sawing logs or working in the "pineries" would gather at the Solon Hall place where dancing and merriment were featured. This lightened the weary labors of the homesteader and others.
Principal colonists and original land owners were: Upham & Russell of Shawano and F.A. Deleglise. Land sold for from $7 to $10 per acre in 1885.
Pioneer loggers in the district were: A. Weed, Charles Gowan, and J. O'Brien. Present industries are: one saloon, owned by Louis Kruk and one cheese factory owned and operated by Umland Bros. Of Birnamwood, who have been located on section 3. This cheese factory has since burned down. Early factories were conducted by A.A. Miller and the Star Creamery, a co-operative company.
Highway No. 39 runs through the district. The Chicago & Northwestern Railroad main line runs through section 3, 9, and 16. The area of the district is 6 square miles or 3,840 acres.
Rolling District No. 4, (Fernwood)
In the northwestern part of Rolling township lies an area of land 3,840 acres in extent, consisting of sections 5,6,7,8,17 and 18. This area is commonly termed Fernwood by reason of a name designated by the school pupils residing in the district.
District No. 4 was one of the original Langlade County school districts. It was organized in 1880 and while the records of the first school officers are lost we have positive proof of the year of organization. It was known as district No. 9 Milltown Township, Shawano County, before Rolling township was created and attached to Langlade County.
The first settlers to arrive in this section came in 1878 and 1879. They were John McDonald, Luther and Charles Montgomery, John Rice, Theodore Luderman, John Hartl, Joseph Wild, Sr., Matt Fleischmann, Englebert Steber, John Olson, Chris Hanson, George Wenz, Charles Steckl, Joseph Modl, Julius Heschke, Wolfgang Babler, Joseph Babler, John Bitl and Wencel Zollpriester and others.
The first school was a log house erected on section 6. For four years it was used until another more pretentious structure of logs was erected on section 7. This was the knowledge center of the district until 1894 when a brick building was erected by Joseph Wild and Theodore Luderman. It cost $3,000. It was then and is yet one of the best of Langlade County schools. Mrs. F.A. Deleglise was the first teacher in the district. Miss Mabel Schultz taught the school in 1921-22. George Wenz and Theodore Luderman were Clerk and Teasurer of the district when first organized. The 1921-22 school officials were Matt Wachal, Jr., Clerk; Joseph Frisch, Director; Anton Hallada, Treasurer.
Present industries are: Springbrook Cheese Factory, purchased by John Ehman fro Emil Bartz in May, 1922. It originally was a creamery owned by the farmers in the district, who sold to John Hruska. Others who owned it were Chris Wavrunek and J. Reislager (jointly), Fred Buss, George Nore, James Pavunka, Emil Bartz. The Joseph Stearn saloon was erected by John Hruska, was later operated by Chris Wavrunek, before Mr. Stearn secured it. Both industries are located on section 5.
There are forty farmers, fully alert to the possibilities of District No. 4 as an agricultural and dairying center, living in the district. Splendid roads, rural free delivery service. The Fernwood Telephone Company, organized by Matt Wachal, Jr., and an air of progressiveness and optimism all tend to make the district a blue ribbon winner.
In 1881 the valuation of assessment in district No. 4 was as follows: Real estate, $18,986.50; personal property, $518.00; total, $19,504.50.
|Rolling District 5 (Elmhurst Graded)|
Rolling District No. 6 (Pine Grove)
The Pine Grove school is located in District No. VI in the town of Rolling of Langlade County.
The first settlers came in 1878. Shortly after these first settlers came a sawmill was started which encouraged more families to come. The Mill was owned by Jacob Erick.
Because of the increased population a school was needed for the children so they built this school in 1882. But soon the Northwestern railroad was extended through what is now Elmhurst and the people began to leave our district to go there. The mill then stopped operating as one was begun near the railroad. The mill has been torn down and Mr. Herbert Edwards owns the land it was on.
The only pioneer settler in the district now is Mr. Fred Kalkofen. He was the first white settler in this district, having come from Wausau with his wife and two children on a lonesome Indian trail with a few of their belongings.
Our roads were begun either from Indian trails or logging roads. But during the past twenty years they have been straightened and graded so that they are now in pretty good condition. The road extending north and south from the R. Doine and F. Andraschko farms was put in during the year of 1908. Ten years later a half mile more was built onto the southern end of this road so as to connect it with the road in Shawano County.
During these first years of settlement what little trading the people had was carried on at Antigo which is eight miles north. But as the roads were merely logging roads it sometimes took a whole day to take a trip to town. Aniwa is but a short distance from here but the road at this early time led through a swamp which could not be used during the summer.
The chief industry of the farmers in the district is dairying and general farming. Graded and pure bred cattle are becoming the aim of every farmer here. Mr. F. Huggins has a pure bred Holstein sire while Mr. A. James is the only one in the district that has Jersey cattle. The rest having either grade Holsteins or scrubs. Mr. F. Huggins and F. Hoyt have modern barns and Mr. J. Andraschko is building one this spring. All but two of the farmers have silos. Large crops of corn and potatoes are raised every year. Potatoes can be grown especially well because of our sandy loam soils. During the winter months when sleighing is good nearly all the farmers haul their logs or pulpwood to the Wunderlich mill in Elmhurst, or ship it to some distant market.
About the year 1911 the Rolling Mutual Telephone Company was extended through here but only three of the families have telephones. Automobiles are becoming another convenience for our farmers.
Our community is small but there is a great future before us. The roads are being improved every year so that the market seems but a short distance from us now. Because of the better roads we expect that within five or ten years many more families will start new farms here.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
Within the memory of settlers still living the south central part of Rolling Township was a dense unbroken forest penetrated only by the zig-zag trails of the Indian. Its very surface pictured the weary trials and struggles of a "squatter," homesteader or land purchaser. Yet resolute men of faith and courage braved the viccissitudes of the forest and settled in this region in 1880. Early settlers were Jacque (Jake) Raess Fred Kalkofen, Frank Hanus, Louis Ramer, and Jacques Eric. The only permanent old pioneer still within the district is Fred Kalkofen.
Rolling township was originally four school districts. Then the fifth district followed and another change took place October 29, 1883, when District No. 6 was organized. It consisted of sections 27, 32, 33 and 34 and the south half of section 28. The district now consists of sections 27, 31, 32, 33, 34, the south half of section 28, the east half of the northeast quarter of section 28 and the southwest quarter of the northeast quarter of section 28, the south half of the southeast quarter of section 29 and the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 29, the west half of section 35. The area contains 4,080 acres.
The district is drained by small rivulets and streams flowing through sections 27, 35, 31, 32, 33. The main line of the Chicago & Northwester railroad runs through section 32 and a part of section 29.
The soil in the district is varied. Merrimac silt loam, sandy loam, Gloucester fine sandy loam and peat are found.
The only industry in the district, with the exception of agriculture, was a sawmill erected in 1883 on the southwest quarter of section 27 by Jacques Eric, who came to this county from Winnebago County, where he then owned a farm.
The Eric sawmill bought in an influx of Settlers and was responsible to a great extent for the arrival of early settlers. A terrible accident occurred in 1884 and was the direct reason for abandonment of the industry. Mr. Eric made a trip each day to Elmhurst, nearest trading settlement, to secure mail and provisions for the settlers and employees at the sawmill. He failed to return one day and upon investigation it was found that his horses had run away. The heavy load of hay slid from the wagon box as the team ran down a hill. Mr. Eric was fatally injured. Dr. F.A. Beckel, Antigo pioneer physician, was called, but his efforts were futile.
Henry Gustavus, associate of Jacques Eric, took charge of the mill, the lumber was hauled away and the mill finally moved. While operating, it furnished employment to a number of me. A little settlement grew up near the mill on section 27 during this period. It died with the mill.
The first school was erected in 1883 on the present location, section 27. It is still used. The building cost $300 when erected. First pupils were Fred, Jr., Albert, Charles, Herman, Alfred, Ernest, Amelia, Anna, Rose and Minnie Kalkofen, the Frank Hanus children, the Frank Zarda (Aniwa) children, and the Wolf family children. Indian trails abounded even at this time and many of the children had to trudge over them.
Frank Hanus, Louis Ramer and Fred Kalkofen were first Director, Clerk and Treasurer of the district. The 1922-23 school officials were Frank Huggins, Treasurer; Mrs. R.J. Doine, Clerk and Mrs. Zoa Hoyt, Director. Mrs. Jessie Huggins was the 1922-23 teacher.
Sixteen farmers reside in this district. The office of the Rolling Township Clerk, Frank Huggins (1922), is in this district.
Web Site TOC
E-mail the Webmaster
All Rights Reserved.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids