|Antigo, Wisconsin Genealogy Gopher|
|City of Antigo and Langlade County, Wisconsin Genealogical Research Sources|
|Home > Civil Towns > Price|
Price Joint District No. 1, (Kent)
Kent, one of the oldest communities in Langlade County, was once a thriving mill village in the heart of a great tract of timber. It boasted a well stocked general store, a modern saw and planning mill, a post office and hotel, and a number of progressive inhabitants. That Kent has changed as time passed. With the passing of the lumber industry in its vicinity went the saw mill, the planning mill and the employees, together with the allied industries connected with such institutions. Since then the general store and post office have been retained.
The first saw mill was erected at Kent by Henry Sherry of Neenah, Wis., who came to the wilderness in Section 24, township 32, Range 12 East. He operated on an extensive scale cutting pine until he sold his mill and the hardwood holdings to the Antigo Manufacturing Company. They ran the saw mill, boarding house, kept the post office and general store for many years until their entire possessions were dismantled.
When the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western railroad laid their track to Kent they called the village Drexell, in honor of a Mr. Drexell, an official of the concern. It still holds that name in so far as railroad maps are concerned.
The land for the first school, a quaint structure, was donated by Henry Sherry, first mill owner. This first school was in the village near the general store owned by Henry Sherry. It was a one-room log building. Its location was section 24. A frame school was later erected on the same section. This was used for many years until 1918 when a joint district was organized with sections in Langlade township. A modern brick school, the pride of the district, was erected then.
The first school records were burned in the fire which destroyed the Adolph Heggs residence and much of the early data cannot be secured. John Tye, J.W. Smith and Richard Miller were the officers of the district when the frame school was erected. A. Brandt of Polar built the frame school. The land was purchased from Abe Gum.
The 1921-22 school officials were: Thomas Ward, Clerk; Sam Wagner, Director and Ed. Cunningham, Treasurer. The teacher in 1921-22 was Hattie Verch.
Postmasters have been: Mr. Snow, Peter O'Connor, Marvin St. Claire and J.W. Smith, present postmaster. Mr. Smith has served since May 2, 1903. The post office was located southwest of its present location, SE 1/4 of NE 1/4 of section 24 at one time.
While there are still good tracks of standing timber in this district lumbering has long ceased to be the important occupation. Agriculture has taken its place. Kent has become famous because it is the home of J.W. Smith, producer of the famous Smith strain of Triumph potatoes, pronounced the best in the United States. He plants but six acres and receives orders from every section of the country.
There are 28 families in the district. It was once known as Rural District No. 4, previous to formation of the joint district.
The district consists of sections 1, 2, 11, 13, 12, 14, 23, 24, 25, 26, 36 and the E 1/2 of 3, 10, 15, NE 1/4 of section 22 in Price township and sections 7, 15, 16, 17, 18. 19, 20, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, and 34 in Langlade township, (Township 32, Range 13 East.)
Nels Uttemark of Seymour once operated a saw mill on Section 24 in Price township. He employed a number of men. The mill was dismantled and Uttemark moved to a place near Appleton, Wis., where he was injured in an accident resulting in him becoming blind.
Price District No. 1, (Malcolm)
This district is situated in the south central part of Price township. It was settled in 1880 and years following by Thomas Hutchinson, Malcolm Hutchinson, Henry Stadler, John McClaskey, Andrew Hartman and Gustav Hartman, all of whom have taken an active part in the progress of the township.
After the pioneer settlers arrived and erected their cabin homes a school was erected in 1883 on the site of the present substantial brick school. The first building was a frame structure erected at an approximate cost of $300.00 by Ed. Dalton. Thomas Hutchinson was clerk of the district then. He was responsible to the Price Board of Education (township system). Francis Churchouse was the first teacher. Other early teachers were Agnes Donohue, Minnie Moss and Annie Kelly. The first pupils to attend school were: Genie and Malcolm Hutchinson, Willliam Dalton, Jessie Dalton, Earl Dalton, Grace McClaskey and Gustav, George and Annie Hartman.
The frame school was used until 1909 when August Stabe, Antigo contractor, erected the splendid school now used in the district. Its cost was approximately $2,100.00. Charles L. McArthey was Clerk, malcolm Hutchinson was Treasurer and Wm. Daugherty was Director when the school was erected. The 1922-23 officials were: B.S. Powell, Clerk; Herman Bryant, Director, and Gustav Hartman, Treasurer. Miss Anna Kennedy was the 1922-23 teachers. Average annual school enrollment is 40.
The principal occupation of the settlers, of which there are thirty, progressive and active, is agriculture. Lumbering and other forest industries was the chief occupation of the pioneers.
This district was organized in May, 1907. It consists of sections 27, 34 and 35, the east half of section 33, the east 1/2 of the west 1/2 of section 33, the east half of section 28, the SE 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of section 28, the east 1/2 of the SW 1/4 of section 28, the west 1/2 of sections 22, 15, 10 and 3. The latter part of the district represents a strip of land two square miles running north and south, through the central part of Price township.
Price District No. 2 (Bryant Graded)
This district was organized about thirty-five years ago. At this time this region was a great pine forest. Many pine stumps may be seen now, which are the remains of that forest.
The beginning of this settlement was a logging camp, owned by Hoxie and Miller. Soon a saw mill was erected by the Davis brothers.
New settlers came in, some to farm and others to clear land for farms. As it was quite far to the nearest town Mr. Hyssen built a store for the benefit of the settlers. Among the early settlers were: Mr. Malliet, R. Webster, V.P. Rath, Mr. Hyssen, Wm. Hurlburt, C. Bryant, Mr. Green, Mr. Gillen, Mr. Davis, Mr. Sanders, Mr. Clemens, George and August Carlson, M. Phillyis, Simon Ball.
The railroad company realizing they could make money by hauling the pine lumber built a railroad. This railroad was built in the year of 1883. It extended as far as Malcolm.
The little village had a few residences built on the south side of the track, and had begun to prosper, when a fire started in the mill, burning the mills, lumber yards and houses on the south side of the track.
Later, after the fire destroyed the first mill, Mr. Kolzer built a mill. This mill was built to saw hardwood lumber, as the fire had burned some of the pine and some had been cut.
Several years later, about 1891, the second destruction was caused by a forest fire, which burned all of Bryant with a few exceptions, and spread eastward to Kent.
After this fire Mr. Sanders built a store. Mr. Sanders sold his store to Mr. Norem who still owns it. Mr. Chambers sold his store to Mr. Dobbs and Mr. Cook bought it from Mr. Dobbs. A few years later Mr. Cook's store burned down.
In 1900 the M.E. church was built.
The first school was a small log building which stood in about the same place as the present building now stands. Miss Doolittle was the first teacher.
Some years later a larger frame building was erected.
Today we have a modern two room brick building, which is well equipped with a furnace and all other necessary things.
The teachers who taught here were: Miss Doolittle, Miss Moss, now Mrs. George Wunderlich, Miss Pearl Drew, who is now a supervisory teacher in the southern part of the state, Misses Lulu Ford, Harriet Roudebush, Clare LaMere, Elsie Boebel, Charlotte Tobey, Edith St. Claire, Cecil Busier, Elizabeth Fries, Barbara Vesley, Lena Wendorf, Pearl Davis, Katherine Brynes, Edna Fredrickson, Margaret McMillen, Sophie Van Cleve.
The pupils who finished school and enlisted in the World War are: Mathew Norem, Harold Norem, Chas. Norem, Benj. Diercks, Charles and Louis Price, William Boelter, Frank Reeves.
Some of the men who served on the school board are: Frank Thompson, W. Hurlburt, Mr. Norem, H.P. Diercks, Emil Scharder, Charles Dalton, George Burmister, E. Bratton, H. Carlson and C.J. McClellan.
Bryant has two garages, one blacksmith shop, one pool room, one hotel, two stores, one depot, one Grange Hall, one creamery and one ice cream parlor.
Published in the Daily Journal, January 11, 1922
By Everette DeHart
District No. 2, Town of Price was organized about thirty-five years ago. At that time the district was a wilderness of pine trees. Today many large pine stumps may be seen which are the remains of that forest. It extends two and one-half miles north to south and two and one-half miles east to west.
The early settlers were Thomas Hutchinson, Robert Bryant, William Malliet, August Carlson, Calvin Bailey, R. Webster, J.P. Saunders, R.W. Phillips, Mr. Davis, and Mr. Dobbs.
The fine timber and good land attracted the settlers that settled here.
The first school which was a small log building stood near the place where the present building now stands. Miss Doolittle was the first teacher. Some years later a larger frame building was put up. Today we have a modern two room brick building which is well equipped with a furnace and all other necessary things.
The teachers who taught here were Miss Moss, now Mrs. George Wunderlich , Pearl Drew, Elizabeth Fries, Lulu Ford, Vera Ackerman, Clara LaMere, Elsa Goebel, Cecil Bushier, Edith St. Clair, Pearl Davis, Barbara Vesley, Charlotte Tobey, Ruth Van Cleve, Edna Fredrickson, Kathryn Byrne, Susie Daily, Anna Weix and Margaret McMillan.
Pupils having finished school and enlisted in the army: Mathew Norem, Harold Norem, Charles Norem, Louis Price, William Price, William Boelter, Ben Diercks, Frank Mitchell, Arleight Dudley, Walter Reeves, Mathew Person, and Edward Reeves. Charles Norem was a captain in the World War.
The people who served on the board were: Frank Thompson, Endre Norem, William Hurlbert, E. Baatton, Henry Diercks, Emil Schrader, George Burmister, Charles Dalton, Ernest Norem and C.J. McClellan.
The early settlers came for the good land and timber. Most of them came on horseback and in wagons. Most of the settlers came from southern Wisconsin. Some came in the fall and some in the summer. They had many hardships in building new homes and getting food from Wausau. There were about three or four in each company that came. The new homes were made of logs and were about the size of small logging camps. Most of the people went to Wausau to trade. The first crop was potatoes and they raised about two or three acres.
The landmarks are where Indians camped. They camped near Norem's barn and Dan O'Brien's present home and the cemetery.
The first church was the M.E. church, which was built in 1900.
The first store was built by Mr. Dobbs. The first white child born here was Guy McKlosky. The first mill was built by Davis Brothers. The first Sunday School was held in the homes.
The early Indians came here from the south, going to the lakes in the north.
The first road was the one which is in front of the school. The first house was owned by Mr. Clem.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
The Village of Bryant was named in honor of S.M. Bryant of Milwaukee, who once owned extensive tracts of timber in Price and other Langlade County townships. Bryant is situated in the southwestern part of Price township. It was surveyed by George A. young in 1883 and the recorded plat was filed on December 18, 1883. The original village embraced the southwest 1/4 of section 32. Five years later, in June, 1888, S.M. Bryant made an addition to the village. The eighty acre addition was surveyed by B.F. Dorr, pioneer county surveyor. The streets of Bryant are Vinson, Washington, David, and Bent.
The Milwaukee Lake Shore & Western constructed their railroad into Bryant in the fall of 1884 and this same year, James E. Davis and Charles Davis erected a saw mill in the village. The Davis Brothers operated until about 1890, when they moved from Bryant. During their lumber operations Bryant was at its high tide.
Fred Hayssen came to Bryant from Calumet County, Wisconsin and in 1883 erected the first store. He was also the first postmaster. Other postmasters were: Sim Ball, T.M. Dobbs and Mr. Williams. Endre Norem, present postmaster has served in that official capacity for a quarter of a century.
Other store proprietors in Bryant in the past were: Williams & Brown, A.H. Merton, now of Antigo, and Thomas M. Dobbs. Present mercantile establishments are those of the Endre Norem Company and the E.M. Jecki store. Bryant has a garage, owned and managed by Emil Person. Dr. J.H. Baker is Bryant's present Physician. He is a former resident of the state of Kentucky.
Bryant is on the main highway between Antigo and Lily. The famous Antigo flats ends just north of Bryant, but a short distance.
Bryant's first depot was erected in 1884. The village is now on the Wolf River branch of the Chicago & Northwestern railroad.
Bryant has an excellent brick graded school. The first school was erected in the village in 1885. The 1922-23 school officials were: George Burmeister, Clerk; Leo Byrnes, Director; and C.J. McClelland, Treasurer. The 1922-23 teachers were: Bessie Augustyn and Annie Schultz.
J.B. Loomis, one time town clerk of Price and an active leader in township affairs was Bryant's first and only lawyer. He was in the village from 1883 to 1889. Attorney Loomis was a member of the Langlade County bar.
West Price Grange No. 595 was organized at Bryant, October 17, 1912. First officers were: Master -Frank Furry; Overseer - Ed. Buboltz; Steward - Dewey Hartman; Assistant Steward - Arthur Paul; Secretary - J.W. Standiford; Treasurer - Henry Buboltz; Chaplain - Mrs. Malcolm Hutchinson; Lecturer - I. Hall; Ceres - Mrs. John Hartman; Pomona - Jewel Porter; Flora - Mrs. Peterson; Gatekeeper - Herman Carlson.
Present officers: Master - Matt Norem; Overseer - Leo Byrnes; Steward - Walter Diercks; Assistant Steward - William Bryant; Lady Assistant Steward - Mrs. L.E. Carlson; Treasurer - John Lamb; Chaplain - Mrs. Wm Bryant; Lecturer - Anna Pearson; Ceres - Mrs. Leo Brynes; Pomona - Mrs. George Hurlbert; Flora - Margaret Reif; Gatekeeper - George Carlson.
The West Price Grange has a membership of 101, probably the highest membership of any of the Langlade County granges. Meetings are held every second and fourth Thursday. Complete ownership of a hall is contemplated. (Now the grange has a half interest in the town hall).
Bent Cemetery was recorded May 11, 1900. It is situated in the NE 1/4 of section 32. Malcolm Hutchinson surveyed the plat. It received its name after Mr. Bent, a land owner, who gave the cemetery site to the township. A survey was made in May, 1899 also.
The Town Hall is located in the village of Bryant.
Price District No. 3 (Price, a.k.a. Green Valley)
This district was organized in 1880. It is the same size as when first organized, the area being three square miles. Some of the first settlers were: J. Rhein, V. Rath, W. Vanderhoof, R. Webster, A. Carlson, E. Carlson, J. Hartman and H. Buboltz.
These early settlers were very hardy and bore many hardships in making homes for themselves. It was difficult for them to get their supplies, the nearest town being Antigo. There were no roads, except narrow trails made by the Indians and wild animals.
The people soon realized that they must have a school in order to give their children an education. The first school in the district was a small log structure built on a piece of land now owned by Charles Porter. It was a very rude affair, having only the most necessary articles of furniture. As the people were poor they could not spend much money for the school; but willingly did all they could. The school house was heated by an old fashioned box stove. About twenty-five pupils attended the first school.
In 1896 the school house burned and school was held in the home of W. Vanderhoof. In the spring of 1898 a small school was built on the corner opposite from where our school now stands, and a half mile from where the first school stood. It was used until 1910.
In 1911 a modern brick school building was erected, costing $2,255.00. It is large enough to seat forty pupils. The men who hold offices at the present time are: J.W. Standiford, Clerk; J. Hartman, director, and C. Porter, treasurer.
The following teachers have taught in the district: Ida Humble, Illa Randal, Emma Elack, Harriet Roundebush, Maud Jacobs, Elsie Hirt, Alma Malliet, Agnes Walters, Inez Hall, Alice Shuman, Helen Hayner, May Priem and Celia Keen.
Many modern improvements have been added to the school. Some of the things are: teacher's desk and chair, two book cases, two rows single adjustable seats, four rows single stationary seats, two chairs, library table, organ, set of maps and a globe. At first the room was heated by an old fashioned box stove but four years ago a furnace was installed.
The school stands at the bottom of a hill. The trees in the school yard are poplar trees, which are very pretty with their bright green leaves. The town received the name from a man by the name of Price who resided in the district.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
The passage of the National Homestead Act did much to open the wilderness of Wisconsin to soldiers of the Civil War, prospectors and others seeking public lands on which to build homes. This district was settled by homesteaders the first of whom was Sam Price, who came from Waupaca County in 1879 and settled on 160 acres in section 19. His homestead was once staked by J. Cherf, who never proved his claim, he leaving shortly after staking. Following Sam Price came John and Valentine P. Rath, youthful and energetic, immigrants from the city of Sheboygan. John Rath settled on section 21 in the fall of 1880. V.P. Rath stayed with him during the time their rude log cabin was being erected. After that V.P. Rath settled on section 7. (He was not old enough to settle on a homestead at the time his brother did).
Charles Price, a son of Sam Price, came into the district from Waupaca County in 1881 and settled on section 17. A.A. Hurlbert came at the same time, he also taking up a homestead on section 17. Others who settled on section 17 in compliance with Homestead Laws were: George H. Fehl, Civil War veteran, who last an arm fighting for the Union, and James Hartman. Mr. Fehl came from Dayton, Ohio and Mr. Hartman from Rhine Township, Sheboygan. Walter Vanderhoof and Elijah Vanderhoof settled on section 7 shortly after.
In 1884 the first log school was erected on section 17. It was a crude log affair. Only the A.A. Hurlbert and Charles Price families had children of school age then. Early teachers were: Addie Hill and Sybil Cornish. The log school was used but a short time. The first frame school was erected on section 19. In 1911 a brick school took the place of the frame structure, which was moved across the highway on to section 20 and has since been used as a M.E. Church. Henry Buboltz operates a saw mill on section 19. The only other saw mill was once operated by Wm. Carlson on section 21.
The 1922-23 school officials were: Earl Shanks, Director; Charles M. porter, Treasurer and J.M. Standiford, Clerk. The 1922-23 teacher was Mayme Jackimstahl.
There are about 16 farms in the district. The region is hilly and rolling.
August Carlson, J.W. Standiford, Henry Buboltz, John Seamon and John Hartman have lived many years within the district, coming in after the first pioneers.
Web Site TOC
E-mail the Webmaster
All Rights Reserved.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids