|Antigo, Wisconsin Genealogy Gopher|
|City of Antigo and Langlade County, Wisconsin Genealogical Research Sources|
|Home > Civil Towns > Norwood|
Published in the Daily Journal, August 26, 1921
The first settlers of this district were Henry Mitchell, Sr., and Ross Young, Sr., from Menasha. They came for the purpose of running a mill. The mill was built at the mouth of the Red River. Henry Mitchell settled near the lake. The Red River is an outlet of Mitchell Lake. The lake was called Mitchell Lake, because Henry Mitchell lived near it. Now it is called Moose Lake because some moose horns were found there. Ross Young, Sr., settled where Fred Wood now lives. Their houses were built of logs.
The next settlers were Peter Hilger and Mike Neubauer. They came here in the year 1878 and took up homesteads a mile from the mill. Peter Hilger settled where John Hilger lives now. Mike Neubauer settled where he still resides.
One year later C.W. Moss and family came from Neenah and took up homesteads. They came for the purpose of starting a dry goods store.
Sometime after Peter Muhn, Austin Robinson and Henry Waterman came. Peter Muhn came from Menasha, Austin Robinson from Appleton and Henry Watterman from Oshkosh. They all took up homesteads.
The nearest city was Clintonville, fifty miles away. This is where they got their provisions.
When they wanted to go any place they had to walk because there were only two teams of oxen in the settlement. When they got their provisions from Clintonville they weren't very good, because they came from such a long distance over such rough roads. Sometimes they didn't have any money because they couldn't sell their lumber. The trees they cut down when they cleared their land were burned. They got their water from a spring near the Red River. They couldn't get any pumps.
The Northwestern railway was going to run through here, but it didn't. They put it through the city of Antigo.
The settlers named this settlement Hutchinson, District No. 2, Shawano County.
The first selection for the school house was where the town house now stands. It was near the Red River. The First school meeting was held in the town house, Sept. 8, 1879.
The teachers were to be paid five per cent of the money received from the taxes. The town of Hutchinson was changed to Milltown, District No. 1, Shawano. Later they changed it to District No. 1, Norwood.
The place they selected for a school house was in Sec. No. 10. A log school house was built. It was 16x20 ft. and it had four windows. The glass in the windows were 9/12 inches.
On April 13, 1881, they build a log school house. It was built between Sections 11 and 14. Any person who didn't come to help was fined. They also had to bring their tools.
School was held in the C.W. Moss house. Minnie Moss was the teacher. They had five months school. The teacher's salary was twelve dollars a month. School was first held in the log school house in the fall of the years, 1882. This building was used for two years. Then a frame school house was built on Peter Muhn's property. They built it as near to the big pine tree as possible. The stump of the tree still remains. The school house in now thirty-seven years old, and it is still in use.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
In 1878 Henry Mitchell, a resident of Menasha came to the town of Mill, Shawano County, and erected a saw mill on section 22 near what is now Moos Lake, Norwood township. Ross Young, also of Menasha was his associate. Mr. Young erected a cabin home for himself on section 15. Thus these two men, who came primarily because of the lumber industry, were the earliest settlers in Riverside. The Mitchell mill, as it was called, was erected on section 22 near the mouth of Moose Lake. Nearly a year elapsed before the arrival of the next two settlers, Peter Hilger and Michael Neubauer, who, in 1878, came from Appleton. Charles W. Moss moved his family from Neenah to section 16 in the year 1879. They started a store which operated from 1879 to 1881. Other very early settlers were: I. Narlow, P. Muhm, of Menasha, Austin Robinson, Appleton, and Henry Waterman, of Oshkosh, homesteaders.
These settlers came before the Milwaukee, lake Shore & Western railroad stretched north from Clintonville, fifty one miles distant. All provisions were secured from that place.
Riverside district was then known as District No. 2, Hutchinson township, Shawano County.
The first school meeting was held September 8, 1879 in Hutchinson township. In 1880 this district was changed to Milltown district No. 2. In 1881, when Norwood was attached to Langlade County it became District No. 1 of Norwood. April 13, 1881, the settlers planned a log raising "bee" for the erection of the school house. Previously school was held at the home of Charles W. Moss, while the school (log) was built on the line between sections 11 and 14. In 1884 a new frame school was built and is still used. It is located on the southwest quarter of section 14.
The area of this district is, 3,840 acres, containing all of sections 13, 14, 15, 22, 23, 24.
The town hall of Norwood is located on section 22, this district.
Published in the Daily Journal, August 31, 1917
This district was settled by the French and Dutch in 1878.
Some of the first settlers were Joe St. Louis, Frank St. Louis, Pascal Langlois, John Jansen, George Jansen, and Desire Debrow and Mrs. Jesse.
The condition of the country was very rough and the whole country was a forest. They did not have any roads, bridges, stores or buildings or farms, and no improvements of any kind.
The first think they did was to make a clearing large enough to build a house and have a little garden and raise vegetables.
The only tools for building their houses and making their gardens were a spade, shovel, and ax. They had long houses and not very wide, and the floor and roof was made of puncheon. They only had a few rooms and to go up stairs they had a ladder outside.
Their most important occupations were lumbering and farming. Farming was different because of the stumps and stones. Most of the work was done by hand.
Some of the farm tools were the cradle, sickle and flails. The plows were partly wood in those days.
A mill was built on the Red River at about the same time the first settlers came.
They made lumber, cant-hook stalks and shingles.
There were very few Indians here when the first settlers came.
Mrs. Frank St. Louis was the first white woman here.
The settlers got their flour, coffee, and household produce from Little Chute, Menasha, Clintonville and New London.
The first school was kept by Father St. Louis. The Protestants and Catholics went there alike. After a time they built a public school house. They had a box stove and board blackboard for their blackboard. The first school house was sold and is not used for a blacksmith shop. In 1894 another school house was built, and a graded school was established. Two teachers were employed. In 1905 a Catholic school was built. A Catholic church was built in 1885.
The first store was owned by John Jansen
Pascal Langlois was the first man who had a team of horses and was a great use in hauling goods for the farmers. Pascal Langlois was also the first mail carrier.
Phlox was named by John Jansen on account of the wild phlox which grew here. A cheese factory was built several years ago but is not in use now.
Now they have a hardware store at Phlox, two grocery stores, three saloons and many improved farms and good buildings.
The following persons have a car: Mose Jansen, jack Hecker, Tom Camps, Louie Cardin, Peter Johnson, George Chisel, Father Smith, Albert Schultz, Mrs. Matterson, Nels Jansen, Henry Harrison and Mr. Berendson.
They have a railroad a mile and a half from Phlox, which is called the Wisconsin and Northern Railroad.
The following farmers have silos: John Debroux, Tom Kamps, Nels Jansen, Louie Cardin, Henry Harrison, George Schisel, A. Ragin, T. Verhasselt, B. Berendson and H. Menting.
Dairying is one of the leading industries now. Some of the farmers have full blooded stock.
One of the boys of our district has enlisted in the present war.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
In May, 1877, Joseph St. Louis, Moses St. Louis, Louis Bergeon and Joseph Bergeon, residents of Little Chute, Outagamie County, cut a trail through the wilderness from Leopolis, Township 27, Range 14 East, to Township 30, Range 12 East. These four prospectors staked homesteads in the country infested by nothing but animals - the deer, wolf, bear and lynx. Only an occasional Indian trail gave any evidence of man. Returning to Little Chute these adventurers told of the country "in the north woods" and in August, 1877, Albert Menting, Joseph St. Louis, John Menting and Mr. and Mrs. Frank St. Louis (Mrs. St. Louis was the first white woman in Norwood) moved in with teams. It was a tiresome journey over a poor tote road and often the wheels of the heavy overland schooners were mired in mud. The first night was spent under the hemlock boughs, corner of sections 23, 24, 25 and 26. Arriving at section 26, all of the newcomers began building the first log cabin in Norwood township on section 26 - the old Frank St. Louis homestead. All these pioneers lived in the St. Louis log dwelling until they could "roll up" cabins on their own homestead claims. Joseph Bergeon settled on section 23; Albert Menting homesteaded on section 24; Joseph St. Louis homesteaded on section 26; Mr. and Mrs. Frank St. Louis homesteaded on section 26; Moses St. Louis homesteaded on section 28. Before the arrival of these settlers the August Boelke homestead near Leopolis was the farthest northern cabin between Antigo and Township 28, Range 12 East. Other settlers followed and before long Pascal Langlois came from Bay settlement, homesteading on section 27; Louis Morrison homesteaded on section 26. They came in 1878. Others who arrived the same year were: John Cardin from Bay Settlement; John Jansen from Buchanan, Wis.; J.B. Lawrence from Little Chute and Desert De Broux from Little Chute. Oliver Shadick settled on section 235 and Warren Jones on section 34 in the fall of 1878. They both came from Menasha. In the spring of 1879 Silas Bogan took up a claim on section 36.
John Jansen opened the first store, log cabin, which still stands, on section 26 in 1879. Shortly after the first post office was opened with Mr. Jansen in charge. Before then mail was sent in from Leopolis two to three times a week. The post office was named Phlox, after a wild genus of herbs growing in the forests nearby.
In 1879, the Rev. Father Masschelein of Keshena, Shawano County, was called to visit a sick person and while there celebrated mass in the little log cabin of Henry St. Louis. The distance to Phlox from Keshena then was thirty miles over rough rocky Indian trails. Rev. Father Masschelein came to the settlement on horseback. In May, 1879, Rev. Father Philip St. Louis walked from Clintonville to Phlox to administer to the spiritual wants of the people. In 1880, five acres of land were donated for church purposes and in 1881 a log church was erected, 34x50 feet. At the same time an Alter Society was organized with a membership of 25. In 1882, Rev. Father Ph. St. Louis became the resident pastor of Phlox. In 1883 a parochial school was erected, occupying an area of 26x27 feet. In 1884 the church parsonage was constructed. In 1888 a new church in honor of St. Joseph was erected by Father Ph. St. Louis. Father St. Louis closed his missionary labors at Phlox, September 12, 1893, moving to Aniwa. Pastors since in order were: Rev. Wm. De Haan, Rev. F. Vollbrecht, Rev. F. Ruessman, Rev. George Pesch, Rev. Wm. De Haan and Rev. I.G. Schmitt, who is now in charge of the Phlox church. The present Phlox parochial school was built in 1907. The parish was re-built in 1898, during Father Vollebrecht's pastorate.
The first public school was erected on section 26 in 1880 and was first taught by Olive St. Louis. Those who attended were: Thomas Mitchell, George Young, Henry, Herman, and Mary Menting, Leo and Maggie Langlois, Della St. Louis, Clophil St. Louis, Isadore Jansen, Thomas, Josephine and Philomene Lawrence, Michael and John De Broux, Kate Mitchell and Jos. And John Neubauer.
The 1922-23 public school teacher at Phlox was Mrs. A.J. Reinert. George Guertz, Andrew Regan and Nels Jansen, are Clerk, Director and Treasurer, respectively.
Postmasters at Phlox have been: John Jansen (first), Arnold P. Menting, Mrs. John Jansen, Ed. Knapp, Guy McIntee, Margaret Kaufman and George Guertz, present postmaster.
The first mill erected in the district was built by Thomas St. Louis on section 26 in 1880. It burned down shortly afterwards. Frank and Joseph St. Louis re-built the mill, sold to the Mattoon Mfg. Co., of Sheboygan, who in 1889 sold to John and David Matteson, who came from Wittenberg. A tramway was constructed from the mill to Elmhurst for hauling the product of the mill to the main track. The tramway was used but little, however. In 1897 Matteson & Co. sold to John Kaufman who in 1914 sold the plant to the Red River Mfg. Co. The Red River Mfg. Company is superintended by M.J. Ellstad. Charles Elscholz is the resident manager. It is now a modern plant, on the banks of the Red river.
Thomas Wilson operated a butter bowl factory from 1889 to 1892. John Menting was a partner to Wilson for some time. In 1889 John Menting erected a broom handle factory near the Andrew Regan property. A.P. Menting ran it also. Frank St. Louis had a cant hook factory on section 26, from 1892 to 1895.
The first Phlox hotel was built by Peter Bissonnette. The present Hotel All Right was originally the John Jansen residence. In 1904 it was taken over by John Matteson, remodeled, and has since been used as a hotel. It has gained considerable prominence as headquarters for tourists and fishermen. The Red river is nearby. Highway No. 47 runs through Phlox from Antigo to Shawano. Warren Jones once ran a hotel in Phlox. It was sold to the Mattoon Mfg. Co., who in turn sold to J. and D.A. Matteson Co. Mattesons sold to Ed. Knapp, who came to Phlox from Clintonville. He traded the property to Ed. Hadler of Antigo, who sold to W.B. Dresser. The building is now the Phlox Hardware location.
The present industries and business places of Phlox are: Red River Mfg. Co., the Farmers' State Bank, A.J. Reinert, Cashier; The George W. Guertz general merchandise store, Duenke & Moss general store, Hotel All Right, John Matteson, prop.; George Jansen Hardware; George Schlientz, soft drink parlor; John Van Ooyan soft drink parlor; Norman m. Racine soft drink parlor; M.W.A. hall; Henry Menting, Chiropractor; Phlox Garage, W.J. Menting & Co., Props.; Peter Weber and Henry Eggink, blacksmiths; The A.F. Schulz Creamery, A.F. Schultz, prop., was established in 1902 by the Fargo Creamery Supply Co., a farmers cooperative unit. In was purchased by John and Glen Kaufman May 7, 1912, and then by A.F. Schultz, May 1, 1915. The plant has an annual capacity of 160,000 pounds of cheese and 20,000 pounds of Clover Leaf Brand butter.
The office of the Norwood township clerk, William Guertz, is in the village of Phlox.
Phlox, Norwood township village, is 33 miles from Shawano, 25 miles from Keshena, Indian Reservation village, 12 1/2 miles from Neopit and 13 miles from Antigo, county seat.
Published in the Daily Journal, August 7, 1917
In 1878 Jesse Armstrong came here from Menasha as a homesteader. The same year Frank and Christ Brouillard came here as homesteaders from Appleton. The district at that time was a wilderness.
In 1879 Henry Hilger and Harry Lloyd came here as homesteaders from Menasha.
The nearest place to get supplies was from Leopolis and Clintonville, a distance of thirty miles.
As there was no road the people cut one out from Hutchins in Shawano county to district No. 3. Over this they managed to carry their provisions, taking them sometimes a week to make the trip.
The mail was also brought from Leopolis by the people whenever they went for provisions which was sometimes once or twice a month.
Four years later, in 1882, T. Sensenbrenner and C. Clifford came here, taking up homesteads.
The next year John Diditz came here and was the first to buy a place which is now owned by Frank and Christ Brouillard.
Shortly after Israel Ano came here from Menasha to take up a homestead. The same year James Mitchell came from Appleton and bought a place from Christ Brouillard.
In 1884 the first log school house was built near the place where the school house now stands. The first school meeting was held the same year. The following officers were elected: Clerk, C. Clifford; Treasurer, M. Hilger, Director, L. Ano. The school opened for a term of six months with an enrollment of twenty-five scholars with Miss Zoie Grignon as teacher.
In 1888 Mike Rayome came here and took up a homestead.
About fourteen months later Joe Conachan came from Pennsylvania taking up the last homestead.
In 1890 M. Teot came from Menasha and bought a place of one hundred twenty acres now owned by William Wagner.
In 1893 the first frame school house was built and school opened for a term of eight months with an enrollment of thirty scholars with Miss Kittie Fox as teacher.
In 1896 W. Guile and son came here as loggers, buying up a large tract of timber land, part of which is now owned by Ed Dodge.
In 1900 the first Rural Mail Route was put in from Antigo, the mail being brought to Phlox three times a week, with Pascal Langlois as carrier. Six years later it was delivered daily at the homes by Mr. Hoffman.
At the present time there are twenty-five settlers in the district, the population being one hundred and seventeen.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
Maple Grove is ideally situated in the southwestern part of Norwood township, near the county line between Shawano and Langlade Counties. It was first settled in 1879 and 1880 by brave and courageous prospectors, homestead seekers and timber hunters, who came with their slow yokes of oxen or with the heavy wagons drawn by horses over the rough trails from Clintonville. Anton Sensenbrenner, Henry Lloyd, Walter Lloyd, then a child, Jesse Armstrong, Henry Hilger, Fred Goodwill, Charles Clifford and M. Thurot were the first settlers. Later settlers, who were in the district very early were: Israel Ano, Frank Brouilliard, the Cunningham family, Ed. Jarvis, James St. Mitchell, Abraham Dione, Michael Rayome and John Rayome.
The first school house was built on section 29. It was erected by all the settlers, who set aside a day for a log raising "bee." The district settlers set aside their daily tasks and in a short time a one-room log cabin was erected. Miss Z. (Zoe) Grignon was the first teacher. Laura Royer was the second teacher. The children of the Lloyd, Henry Hilger, F. Brouillard, Ano, St. Mitchell, Cunningham, Jarvis, Goodwill and Clifford families attended the first school. The log school was used until 1896 when a frame school was built. It is still in use. The school was erected by Misseador Thurot. It was remodeled in 1918 by Frank Mottel of Mattoon. The 1922-23 school officials were: Mrs. Martha Beusch, Clerk; John Spiegl, Director and Alfred Resch, Treasurer. The 1922-23 teacher was Esther Nowotny.
The first cheese factory in this district was erected by Walter Lloyd on the site of the present Norwood Cheese Factory, section 28, in 1912. It was sold to Frank Barta by the original owner. The first factory burned down and in 1920 was re-built by him. September 16, 1921, Emil H. Hintz, progressive cheese maker, purchased the factory, which he operated until September, 1922, when it burned. It was known as the Norwood Cheese Factory.
The area of this district is 3,840 acres or six square miles. It contains all of sections 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33. There are four lakes in the district.
Published in the Daily Journal, September 4, 1917
The first settlers who came to this part of Langlade County now known as District No. 4, Norwood was Will McClean in the spring of 1876.
His reason for settling here was for the purpose of taking up a homestead and clearing land. He settled on the place now owned by H. Naumann.
Two years later, in 1878, by the encouraging of Will McClean, more settlers came to take up homesteads. These were J. Spencer, who settled on the place now owned by O. Peterson, D. Chappel on the place now owned by H. Hameister.
At that time all the land was covered with thick forests, the climate was warm and the soil rich which helped to bring more settlers every years.
They started to build log cabins and log barns, and cleared land for farms.
Most of their trading was done at Clintonville and some at Antigo. No horses were had at that time and only a team of oxen was owned by the settlers, so most of their provisions were carried from Antigo, until the first road was built in 1878. This road was built across the land which is now C. Hippe's farm.
No frame buildings had been built to the year 1879, when Mr. Snead erected a store on the land now owned by F. Schultz. This store was later destroyed by fire. The first frame house was built by T. McNutt in the year 1883.
The inhabitants increasing in number every year found it necessary to find some means to educate their children. In 1877 the first school was held in an old log cabin on the G. Garrett homestead. The first teacher in this district was Mr. Simpson and his salary was twenty-five dollars a month.
Mr. Simpson was the man who named this town Norwood. His reason for this was he thought this was such a far north place and contained much wood, therefore he named it Norwood, which means north woods.
Three years later, in 1880, the first log school house was built on the south west corner of D. Chappel's farm. The first teacher in this school was Miss Hutchen. The school board consisted of Mr. Chappel, Mr. Bemis and Mr. Morris. This school house was used until a new one was built in 1897 which is still being used today and is known as "The Apple Grove School."
The chief industry of the people today is dairying and their main dairy breed is the Holstein.
Ten silos have been built within the last six years, the first one being built in 1910 by Mr. F. Borg.
The farmers of Norwood have cooperated with the farmers of the town of Rolling and formed a Farmers Grange. They built a grange hall in 1914 on the north west corner of C. Hippe's farm.
There are twenty-two families living in this district of which T. McNutt and J. McClean are the two pioneer settlers and the population today in one hundred seven.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
Apple Grove is situated in the west central part of Norwood township and comprises all of sections 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21. Its area includes 3,840 acres of tillable land.
Apple Grove was settled by a group of pioneers who came from Greenville township, Outagamie County in 1879. Its first settler was John J. Simpson, who came from Greeville township in the fall of 18798 and settled on a homestead located on section 17 (NE 1/4). He was followed by George W. Bemis, who, in March, 1880, settled on section 19. Dallas Chappel came in 1879, homesteading on section 20. John A. Spencer homesteaded on section 22 in 1879. William McLean came from Omro in 1879 and homesteaded the SE 1/4 of section 17. Other early settlers were: Thomas McNutt, Charles Shead, J.W. Morse, Langlade County's first County Judge, who, in 1880 homesteaded on section 18. He came from Menasha. Charles Shead came from Vermont state and operated a store for Daniel Chandler, of Menasha. The store was located on section 16 and was erected in 1880, and discontinued a few years later.
Education of the children was important to the pioneer. Therefore as soon as the log cabins were "rolled up" means of education were discussed. School was opened on section 18 in the log shanty on the old George Garrett farm. This was three years before the first log school was built in 1883 on section 20 on the Dallas Chappel farm. He donated an acre of land for school purposes. This pioneer temple of education was used until 1897 when a new school was erected on the NW 1/4 of section 20 on the C.O. Peterson farm site. John J. Simpson, afterwards the first Langlade County Clerk, was the first teacher. Miss Hutchins was the first woman teacher. The first teacher in the frame school was Martha Miller. The first school board officials in Apple Grove district were: J.W. Morse, Treasurer; George W. Bemis, Clerk and Dallas Chappel, Director. Early teachers were: Osca Bemis, Miss Hutchins, John J. Simpson, Hattie Thompson and Nancy Hutton now Nancy Garrett. First pupils were: George and Osca Bemis, Charles, Henry, James, and Frank Morse, J. Spencer and Myrtle Chappel.
In 1910 a Methodist Episcopal church was established on section 18. It was named in honor of Rev. Sanborn, its first Pastor.
Apple Grove district has progressed wonderfully since the first vanguard of homesteaders came with horse and buck board or oxen from Outagamie County. It has a population of over one hundred inhabitants and more than twenty permanent farmers. The school, frame structure, is pleasantly situated in an apple grove, planted in an early day.
Instead of the old trail and tote road the district now has well kept highways. Most of the old pioneers have moved from the district and new settlers have taken over the old historic homesteads. Those still living can recall when G.W. Bemis of the district or Henry Peters of the Strassburg district, Rolling township, moved the settlers into the district, almost a half century ago. Antigo was then a hamlet with but three building. Doc. Olmsted's store, L.D. Moses' store, Niels Anderson's store and F.A. Deleglise's home and real estate office. The nearest railroad was fifty miles away at Clintonville.
Published in the Daily Journal, May 19, 1921
The first school district was organized in June, 1880.
School had been held temporarily from 1878 to 1880, in an old log shanty owned by John McCandless, Sr. It was twelve feet wide, sixteen feet long, and contained two half windows. It was situated about one hundred feet south of what is now Jeske cheese factory, on the corner of land now owned by Henry Boettcher. This piece of land was one of the best quarter sections of timber land in Langlade County.
The pupils attending that school were: John, Albert, Henry and Mary Tatro, Gus and Matilda Boettcher, and Charles and Edward McCandless. They used home made wooden benches and the shanty door served as a blackboard. Their teacher was Mary St. Louis, daughter of Henry St. Louis. Their only books were those sent up from Menasha, varying from the primer up to the fourth reader. The schools at that time were not graded, and one of the pupils said later that the only grade they had was from the schoolhouse, home.
At that time the school board consisted of only two members, the clerk and treasurer. The first clerk was Henry McCandless , and the treasurer August Boettcher. Among the others who served on the board later were: John McCandless, Jr., H.O. Beard, E.D. Stewart, Elijah Stickney, David Thompson, Sr., Frank Thompson, George W. Hooker, Henry Boettcher, Joseph Smith, John Grob and Earl Hill. The members of the present school board are: William Smith, clerk; Arby Gilmer, director, and Stephen Palmer, treasurer.
Since the year 1880, school has been held regularly. A new frame school house was built in 1894, about one-half mile north of the log one. It is a part of the school building now used. It contained three windows, one on each side. Afterward sixteen feet more were built on the north of the log one. It is a part of the school building now used. It contained three windows, one on each side. Afterward sixteen feet more were built on the north end, making the schoolhouse larger and adding two windows to each side.
The first teacher who taught in the new frame school house was Emilline Tretteine, later Mrs. Edward McCandless. The teachers following were: Mattie Trettiene, later Mrs. George Bemis, Dora Towele, Jennie McGregor, later Mrs. Charles McCandless, Blanche Killkelly, later Mrs. Kelly, JESSIE WEEKS, Myrtle Merril, later Mrs. Downer, Anna Quinlan, Hatty Hally, Maud Morrison, later Mrs. Ray Joyce, Pauline Waterman, Margaret Healy, Esther Polar, later Mrs. Steber, Louise Farnham, later Mrs. Lansing, Mary Keelen, Mrs. Dan Hale, May Guenthner, later Mrs. Ralph Hitz, Alma Stromberg, later Mrs. Ben Malliet, Agnes Wolter, later Mrs. Jay Thompson, Margaret Folstead, Nora Wirig and Lillie Winter later Mrs. Fred Kickhaefer. Our present teacher is Helen Belsky.
When the school district was first organized the school year contained only five months. Later on that was changed to six months, and still later to nine months. It now contains nine months. That is about the only change which has taken place in our school organization.
August Boettcher was the first settler in this district. He was born in Germany and came here from Stevensville, Wisconsin in the summer of 1876. He made his first trip alone taking up the N.E. 1/4 of Sec. No. 5, T. 30, R. 12 E. This land is now owned by Stephen Palmer. He built his log house and returned in the fall to Stevensville to get his family. His next trip up he was made with a team of horses. They found the roads almost impassable in many places. They often found trees across the road, and a block and line were used to climb the biggest hills. They were a week making the trip. They stayed one night at Clintonville and a day or so later were forced to stay at another place for two days on account of a hard snow storm. They arrived here about ten o'clock on a moonlight night. They found that a tree had fallen across the roof of their house and had caved in part of the roof. They stayed at a settler's home just outside this district until the roof could be repaired.
Peter Tatro came next. He was born in Massachusetts and came here from Menasha in September 1878. He homesteaded the S.E. 1/4 of Sec. No. 8, T. 30, R. 12 E. Mrs. William Haefeker now lives on part of the old Tatro homestead. Four of the Tatro children attended the first school.
Henry and John McCandless Sr. Were born in Ireland and came here from Menasha in December 1878. Henry McCandless settled on the N.E. 1/4 of Sec. No. 8. T. 30, R. 12 E. John Quirk now owns a part of the Henry McCandless homestead. John McCandless, Sr., homesteaded the quarter section across the road from Henry McCandless. He never made this district his home for any length of time. John McCandless, Jr., his son lived on the farm now owned by William Marquardt, the S.W. 1/4 of Sec. No. 4 T. 30, R. 12 E.
Peter Tatro, Jr., homesteaded the S.E. 1/4 of Sec. No. 5, T. 30, R. 12 E., across from John McCandless, Jr. He then sold it to H.O. Beard for a gold watch. The Beard family came here from Neenah, also the two Thompson families. E.D. Stewart came from Ohio, and Henry Heim from Manitowoc.
The main reason of these people for coming north was the low priced land. It was offered by the government for homesteading, the price being about fourteen dollars per quarter section. As the land in the southern part of the state was expensive, the settlers thought they could do better by taking up these homesteads. They hoped to better themselves in a new land and grow up with the country.
Their trips were made mostly with horse or ox teams. As for troubles, they were unknown in those days.
About the only stock the settlers had were a team of oxen or horses. The scarcity of machinery made it hard to work the land and get good crops. Some of the pieces they had were Spike-tooth drag, shovel-plow and grub-hoe.
Their first crop was fairly good, consisting mainly of potatoes, rutabagas, oats, a little corn, and some garden truck. It was all used for home consumption, as there was no market then.
The church, which was attended by some of the settlers, was not in this district. It was situated just north of the district line. It was German Lutheran and its first pastor was the Rev. Mr. Burke. It now stands by the new church near Polar, where it was moved a few years ago. Sabbath school was also held in the log school house near the creek, and later in our present school house.
When the settlers of the district first came hee there were a few of the Menominee Indians living on the marsh now owned by William Marquardt. They moved out in the spring of '79, not liking to be bothered by the white people.
The first wedding which took place in this district was the marriage of Hattie Thompson to W.C. Morrisey now of California.
William Roy Thompson, two-year old son of Guy Thompson was the first to die in this district. He died June 4, 1881, and was buried near where the log school house stood.
About a mile from the southeast corner of this district was the location of what was then called "Rose Post Office." There was a store there also where, the settlers of the community did their trading. Near the spot on the east end of Moose Lake there was a small sawmill called "Mitchell's Mill." The people here would haul their logs to this mill and then bring home their mail and groceries. There never was a store in the district so that one came handy to them.
The first caucus was held in Mayking district on the land now owned by Jim Morris in the spring of 1879. The election following that caucus was held at Sheds' store near Fred Schult's farm in Applegrove district.
In the early days when this section was new, it was called by the people of the southern part of the state "Northwoods." During later years when it was more full settled it was divided into townships and the one in which we live called "Norwood."
One of the finest state trunk highways in the state is built through this district, passing our school house. It is kept patrolled by the state, and during the summer many traverse it.
The farms and buildings of this district have shown marked improvement in the last ten years. From the little log buildings came the new and roomy frame ones. The land has been cleared and now produce abundant crops.
The population of our district in 1878 was fourteen, and now is one hundred seventy-five. In comparing the district forty-three years ago with the present time, a great difference can easily be noticed.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
Sugar Bush is in the northwestern part of Norwood township, within easy riding distance from Antigo, county seat. It is on Highway No. 47, main route from Antigo to Green Bay and is in one of the most developed areas of southern Langlade County. The farms are well established, many being homesteads of pioneer days.
For years Sugar Bush was nothing but a desolate wilderness unmarred by homestead seeker, hunter, or prospector. Only the trail of the Indian, running from the Keshena country, was evidence of habitat by man. Not until almost a half century ago (43 years) did the first brave pioneers penetrate the region. John McCandless and Henry McCandless driving a span of horses on a rough tote road from Menasha, settled in this district in 1879. Their journey took four days and many times the heavy cart, that carried their worldly, was mired in the swamps. August Boettcher came from Stevensville and Peter Tatro, who came from Menasha settled in 1879. Horace Beard came from Neenah the same year. The Beard family came to the district with a yoke of oxen and the journey was long and tedious and would have proven discouraging to the ordinary folk. Other pioneers trekked in until the district became a settlement of log cabins with their picturesque "scooped roofs." Henry Mitchell, prominent Milltown mill owner, Frank Thompson, Harry McCandless, H. Chandler, Charles Teckaline, Ernest Abel, S. Schufeldt, Joseph and W.W. Smith, Henry Boettcher, Gustav Boettcher, Eli St. Peter and O. St. Peter, were later, but early settlers, Henry Heim, George Hooker, and Peter Peterson, also came to the district early.
The first school was conducted in the log cabin built by John McCandless. The Tatro children, the Boettcher children and the McCandless children attended the first session in 1879. Mary St. Louis was the first teacher. Other early teachers were: Mary Purdey, Hattie Thompson, Cora Sackett, Lucy Bliss and Frank Churchouse. Charles, Edward, Bessie and Mamie McCandless, David, Harry, Mable Thompson, Alvin, David and Walter Clifford, the Tatro children, Gustav and Matilda Boettcher were also pupils in this pioneer backwoods school.
A year after the first school was commenced a permanent log school was erected. This was used until 1898, when a frame building was erected. It is still used. The school is located on Section 5. Henry McCandless, Gust Schmeige and Ernest Able were the building committee members in charge of building the frame school. They were appointed February 26, 1894. An acre of land was purchased from E.D. Stewart for school purposes. The old log school was purchased from the district by O. Beard for $12.00.
Early school board officers were: John and Henry McCandless, Henry Mitchell, Peter Tatro, Henry Heim, H. Beard, and E.D. Stewart. The 1922-23 school officials were: W.H. Smith, Clerk; Stephen Palmer, Treasurer and Arley Gilmore, Director. The 1921-22 teacher was Sophia Augustine. The 1922-23 teacher was Mrs. Dan Hale. In the early days school was held in July and August, November, December and January.
The first cheese factory was built by John Keske. Ed. Tomae ran it for a while until it was purchased by Fred Buss, present owner.
Early teachers - 1896 to 1922 - were: Minnie Hessel, Emlie Trettein, Jennie McGregor, Blanche Killkelly, JESSIE WEEKS (the webmaster's great-aunt), Myrtle Merrill, Anna Quinlan, Harriet Holley, Maud Morson, Margaret Healy, Esther Polar, Louise Farnham, M. Keelan, May Guenthner, Alma Strombrg, Agnes Walters, Margaret Follstad, Nora Wirig, Lillie Winters, and Helen Belsky. The average enrollment in Sugar Bush school is sixty pupils. In October, 1903, Carl Griswold built an addition to the school.
Norwood District No. 6, (Mayking)
Mayking is situated in the northeastern part of Norwood township and is on of the oldest established districts in the county. The first settlers came to this region in 1878 and 1879. No railroads went north of Clintonville then, so it was necessary to walk over a rough trail, through swamps and dense forests to this part of Langlade County. Some of the hardy pioneers were able to make this long trip in a day.
J. Morehouse, Fred Shank, Emil Shank, William Shank, Charles Price, Fred Nonnemacher, Lewis Robinson, Fred Robinson, Wallace Robinson, Frank Koch, Norman Koch, and Louis Tatro and their families, all were early settlers, coming between 1878 and 1885. Other early settlers, who arrived later, were: Frank Schisel, Wolfgang Schisel, John and Jaque Price, Frank Price, and William Nonnemacher. Morehouse was the first settler. He was a blacksmith by trade.
The first saw mill in the district was erected by James Kennedy and John Zehner in section 13. After operating from 1882 to 1893, they sold to Chris and Henry Wunderlich, in 1893. The Wunderlich brothers moved the mill in 1907.
George Wunderlich operated a saw mill on section 3 from 1917 to 1919 and then it was moved to Forest County.
While Henry and Chris Wunderlich operated their mill a post office was established and a thriving community developed. It was called Mayking. When the mill disbanded the post office was discontinued.
Mayking has had two cheese factories. The first was on section 12 and run by Henry Kletz and that second now is operated by Martin Parsons. The first factory burned in 1920.
Mayking is well settled, has progressive farmers and fine farm houses. The school was in charge of Helen Elsholtz in 1922-23. The 1922-23 officers were: William Shank, Harry Kraeger, James McGraff, Treasurer, Clerk, and Director, respectively.
Web Site TOC
E-mail the Webmaster
All Rights Reserved.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids