|Antigo, Wisconsin Genealogy Gopher|
|City of Antigo and Langlade County, Wisconsin Genealogical Research Sources|
|Home > Civil Towns > Evergreen|
Evergreen District No. 1, (Cozy Corner)
There are five settlers in this region that lies in the sparsely and undeveloped southwestern part of Evergreen. The first settler was Simon Post of Oshkosh, who took up a farm on Section 35. He was one of the pioneers of Langlade County and settled in the district in 1879. Simon Post settled on a little clearing made for oxen, used by Lyman Rumery, a prominent lumberman and logger of Oshkosh. Rumery was then logging pine in the district. Mrs. Post lived three years in this wilderness before she saw the face of a woman and she was a squaw. Albert Rollo, who came from Bear Creek, Outagamie County, was a pioneer in Cozy Corner. The Culber family of Portage and the Richard family settled on section 35. Later settlers were Ward T. Taylor of Omro and Nat Pomasl of Eau Claire.
The settlers now in this region are E.O. Finger, Nat Pomasl, W.E. Taylor, John McGee and Stephen Popelka. The 1921-22 teacher was Helen McCarthy.
Miss Francis McFarland, a niece of Charles McFarland, was one of the earliest teachers. She is still following her chosen vocation. Among the first pupils were the Marcus Wahleitner, Sr., children and Maggie Post. The first school house, one of the oldest in Evergreen, was located on Section 25. It was a one room log building. It was used but a short time when the present frame building was erected.
Cozy Corner was once a district embracing a large area. It now has but four sections, 25, 26, 35 and 36. The Yawkey-Bissell Lumber Company is engaged in logging, their camps being located on section 26.
With the hardwood cut, this district will forge ahead, as the Menasha Wooden Ware Company, heavy land owners, will sell the cut over land. An influx of new settlers is predicted.
Evergreen District No. 3 (Sherry)
Our first school in this district was held in 1905 in a little log cabin just opposite James Lambert's home. The first teacher was Bessie Clark. The district meetings were held at the neighbors houses. The school board consisted of F.C. Rose, the clerk, and Jess Gambill, treasurer.
Martin Gambill went to this school the first year and graduated. He went away to school and was gone two years. Then he came back and taught his home school.
In 1909 we had a new school house built. And the district was divided into two parts. The old school house did not have any seats in it except some long boards. But soon afterward we were able to afford a better school house and seats also.
In the new school house the first teacher was Bessie Censky. We have never had the same teacher twice at this school. Last year our teacher's mother died and we had to get a new teacher to finish the school year.
Published in the Daily Journal, July 11, 1921
By Edith Morris
In the year 1901, a few Kentucky people, some of whom were poor, disheartened with the hard times and low wages of their native state, began to wonder if something better did not exist for them elsewhere.
A short time before this, an intelligent, energetic, and well-to-do man, came to Wisconsin from Kentucky and greatly increased his store of money in the cultivation of ginseng. Land being very cheap at that time in Wisconsin, he soon saw what great possibilities there were here for the poorer class of people in Kentucky with whom he greatly sympathized. So he decided to spread the glad news among them, that he had found a land that might lift them above the hard lot in life there, and many of them were glad to come.
Since Kentucky is the second state in the Union that was settled after the thirteen original states, these people boast of being the purest blooded American of our country.
The first ones who settled in this district were John Gallion, James Lambert, Jesse Gambill, J.W. Jones, Isaac Thornberry, and F.C. Rose; their houses being the first dwelling houses that were built.
The land being almost a wilderness and very cheap at that time, most of these settlers were able to buy land sufficient for themselves. Being used to hard labor, they did not fear the hardships of the forest and of a life in a new country. Consequently they soon had a few acres cleared and comfortable homes of their own established. They had been used to raising all kinds of vegetables and garden produce in Kentucky, and of course, naturally wanted to plant the same things here; and as a consequence they have taught some of the northern people that they could grow a great many things that they had never thought of planting before; such as tender beans, tomatoes, watermelons, muskmelons and tobacco. They have also taught them new ways of cooking and canning a great many vegetables from their gardens.
They came by rail all the way from Kentucky to about the central part of this district that being the end of the railroad line at that time, where here was a sawmill and a camp owned by A.H. Hermann of Polar, Wisconsin. There was also a camp belonging to the Upham Lumber Company, who sawed the timber and shipped it to Antigo. The railroad was not built through to Elton until about two years later.
Some of the people found employment at these mills, and some started small ginseng gardens as a means of subsistence.
A store house was built by A.H. Hermann and afterward bought by J.P. Horton. It remained in this district about seven years, when it was removed to Elton.
The first school house in the district was a crude log structure which had been built for a lumber camp by the Upham Lumber Company, and it was located just opposite the house in which James Lambert now lives. The seats were home made and also very crude, and there was very little equipment.
In 1906 a new school house was built about one-half of a mile from where the old one stood, which is fairly well equipped and which ranks fair among the average schools in the county.
The first school was begun November 6, 1905, with Miss Clara LeMere as teacher.
Some of the first pupils wee Martin Gambill, (who afterward became a teacher of this school, now dead), Hattie Gallion, Mattie Thornberry, Flem Jones, Mary Clark, Jennie Roe, Ora Caudill, Myrtle Jones, Alfred Robinson and Nola Green. Several of these came from the Town of Polar and had to pay tuition as they had no school of their own at Clark's.
The first members of the school board were Jesse Cambill and wife, and George Mannin. Some of the later members have been John Thornberry, James Lambert, E. Kiser, Ethel Adams, F.C. Rose, Deeleenee Wheeler, Burrel Morris, and John Kiser.
Other teachers have been Martin Gambill, Hessie Now, Bessie Clark, Maud Johnson, May Dobbs, Florence Horton, Alee Hull, Grace St. Louis, Laura Relyes, Alma Polar, Nettie Walker and Vesta Thornberry, four of whom have been Kentucky teachers, and only one (the latter) taught more that one term.
There was a Baptist church built in the district which was burned soon after it was finished.
A Sunday School was organized and taught during the summer of 1906 and another during the summer and spring of 1913.
There are now ten families living in the district, viz: Deeleene Wheeler, William Bailey, Burrel Morris, James Roe, Robert Lambert, David Jenkins, James Lambert, Wilhelm Kewritt, George Thornberry and John Buckner. Most of those who first settled here have moved away.
There has been a great deal of land cleared but only one silo built and one gasoline engine purchased. There is only one large barn in the district and only one farmer who has modern farm machinery. Most of the farmers raise livestock and chickens.
Thurston Jones was the first child born in the district; James Lambert and Mary Jones were the first couple who got married, and Dee Jones the first who died. With the latter's death the first cemetery was started in this vicinity. It is located opposite James Lambert's on the hill. There is also another cemetery back of Robert Lambert's.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
This district received its name after Henry Sherry, a prominent mill owner, who logged extensively in Price and Evergreen townships. Mr. Sherry operated a mill at Kent.
the first settlers were James Lambert, who located on section 6, George Thornberry, who settled on section 7, and B. Morse, who also located on section 7. Others were James Roe, section 8; Delaney Wheeler, section 7; William Bailey, section 8 and William Kevith, section 7.
These pioneer settlers emigrated to this hilly part of the county from Kentucky. The broken country was subdued only after much difficulty and hardships. Some good farms are now found. Much of the land is still to be cleared. The pioneers arrived in 1899 and 1900.
Section 7 is also the site of the frame school erected in 1899. James Lambert and Q. Rose were members of the first school board. Isaac Thornberry erected the first house in the district. The school is located north of highway 64, principal commercial artery to eastern Langlade County from Antigo.
Settlers in the Sherry communiity are: Everett Adkins, James Lambert, William Kevith, William Bailey, Delaney Wheeler, James Roe, Albert Basely, B. Morse, George Thornberry, D.H. Jenkins, Robert Lambert and Opal Tate. The 1921-22 school officials were D.H. Jenkins, Clerk; Robert Lambert, Director; B. Morse, Treasurer.
The Wolf River branch, C. & N. W. Ry., runs through this district.
Evergreen District No. 4 (McKinley-Wilson)
The age of this district is about eight years.
There are about eight pioneers. Mr. Servi, Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Porter, Mr. Walter, Mr. J.H. Rose, Mr. R. Rose, Mr. Maulk, Mr. Ramer.
The land belonged to lumber companies who were logging the timber. Most of the people came from Kentucky who were attracted by Wisconsin hills which resembled their own. Most of them find their "Home Sweet Home" in the logging camps which have been discarded by the companies.
As population increased a school house was erected, but in the course of six years, its capacity for holding the rural urchins fell short. It was then decided to build a new one and in the fall of 1915 it was completed.
The people are progressing some. There are large farms, and they are building new silos, barns and houses in place of the old ones.
Some of the people from Kentucky are going back to their native state on account of the cold winters of Wisconsin.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
This district occupies the western Evergreen township and is better settled than the Sherry or Washington districts. The settlers live in the vicinity of the schools, two of which are located in the district. Plans are being formulated for the division of the district, thus creating a separate McKinley district and also a Wilson district.
Pioneer settlers were Michael Servi, who settled on section 14; Anton Rammer, section 15; Samuel Mauk, section 15; R.N. Rose, J.H. Rose, section 11 and 2 respectively; James Sullivan, section 15 and Herman Zastrow, section 14. Other early settlers were George Brown and Thomas Campbell.
The McKinley school is located on section 11 and the Wilson school on section 14. They were named after William McKinley and Woodrow Wilson, American Presidents. The first school in the district was erected on section 10. It was moved onto section 11 to have it nearer the center of the district. July 8, 1915, the matter of a new school was discussed at the district meeting. Three thousand dollars was borrowed from the state with which to erect a new frame school. The old school was moved August, 1915, to section 11. This site was formally established by the settlers August 21, 1915.
The second school was erected by Charles F. Dallman, deceased Antigo contractor, at a cost of $2,985. It was contracted for August 7, 1915. This is the Wilson school, section 14. Mary Wurzer and Ethel French were early teachers.
The L.R. Roberts store is located on section 14. It was erected by A.R. Porter, who in 1919 sold to Mr. Roberts. There are about twenty-six families in the district. The Military Road Telephone Company serves the community with facilities for outside communication.
A Pentecost church, frame structure, is located on section 15. George Brown conducts the services twice a month. The church was erected in 1921.
The 1921-22 school officials were: Charles Adkins, Director; A.R. Porter, Treasurer, and L.R. roberts, Clerk. The 1921-22 teachers were M. Lenzner and Nellie Powers Rose.
McKinley? or Lincoln? School
Evergreen District No. 4, (McKinley-Lincoln)
Some research resources make mention of a McKinley-Lincoln School District which supposedly was a consolidation of districts before the McKinley-Wilson School District consolidation.
The Lincoln School District was in the Town of Polar and probably was made up of sections 25, 26, 35, and 36 of T31N, R12E. This means that the Wilson School was located four to five miles to the northeast, with the Washington School District located between these two districts. This consolidation seems unlikely. Therefore, I question if there was a consolidation of the Lincoln District in Polar with the McKinley-Wilson District in Evergreen? Maybe there was a different Lincoln School in Evergreen? I wonder if the McKinley School might have been named Lincoln before it was named McKinley? Much further research is needed to figure out this confusion!!
Published in the Daily Journal, August 27, 1917
By Irene Wurzer
Elton the lumber center of the town of Evergreen, is located in the South eastern part of Langlade County.
The first man that came to this section of the country was James Bunten. He kept the post office and hotel in a log house which still stands back of the hotel. Later Joseph Wurzer came, then John Wurzer. Joseph lived across from the church and John where he now lives.
The first business man here was Charles McFarland. He sold land to the new settlers who came here for logging, hauling them to the Wolf river, there being no mill here the first twelve or thirteen years.
The people who first settled here lived by working in the woods in winter and fishing and hunting in summer. They lived mostly on vegetables and the game they killed because there was no store at Elton and only one at Antigo. In order to get their groceries they had to get them in Antigo and the trip was long and inconvenient.
The mail came once a week. At first Mr. Gibson carried it on his back from Langlade to Antigo. The roads at the time were not much more than a trail. Later the farmers bought ponies from the Indians and as more settlers came in the roads were improved and the mail came twice a week.
After many years of waiting Upham & Russell Co. built the saw mill here. It was not half as large as it is now. They also built a little boarding house and a small store. It stood about where Crocker Chair Co. office is now. It was at this time that John Gress took possession of the hotel and built about one third of the present hotel. This company did not stay long but sold to H. & T. Suter Company who enlarged the mill and built the Elton Mercantile Store. They brought many families with them and built nearly all of the houses on what is called, Smoky Row, and nearly all of those on the main road. They bought the logs from the farmers and did more to improve the town than any concern that was ever here, but there was no railroad coming into Elton and the lumber had to be hauled on wagons, so they failed in business and sold what remained to Crocker Chair Co.
About a year after the Crocker Chair Co. took charge, the railroad was built as far as the lumber yard but it was not till about ten years ago that it went any further.
The first school house was a very small building which was taught by Mrs. Bunten. This school burned down and was replaced by what is now the town hall. There were not many pupils till the Suter Co. brought families here. At this time the largest part of this school house was built. It was first a one roomed school taught by Lulu Ford but in two years it was divided into two rooms and Edith Sandner taught one room and Miss Ford the other and then the school was graded. Up to this time they only taught a few studies such as reading, spelling and arithmetic. The rest was considered foolishness. No one ever graduated. They went to school till they thought they were too big and left. When the school was graded it caused much trouble, for the children that could do eighth grade arithmetic, reading and spelling had to wait about three years until they caught up with the rest of the studies. The first graduates were Vernie Wurzer and Alfred Patnode in 1905. When J. Leo McCormick was principle from then on there have been graduates every year.
Evergreen District No. 5, (Elton Village)
Among the early settlers of Elton village were M.J. Binder, Henry Juetten, Dan Murphy, M. Wahleitner, Sr., the Santner family, Joseph Ramer, Ignatz Plattenbacker, The Steiner family, Charles McFarland, J. Morse, Joseph and John Wurzer, Theodore Smith, and Michael Rammer. Later settlers, but early ones, nevertheless, were John Wickerham, Ward Taylor, Nat Pomasl, George Wanninger, Frank Patnode, William Teal, William Underwood and L.L. Pennington.
Suter Brothers, the Upham Lumber Company, A. Gill of Wausau, the Hilstrom Company of Plumb, Wisconsin, and lastly, the Crocker Chair Company have had manufacturing establishments in the village. The last named concern still operates at Elton.
Early Postmasters were L.F. Bunten, John Smith, Joseph Wurzer, George Mosher and Merl Ladwig.
Present Elton business places are: Elton Garage, William Gillespie, prop.; Elton Hardware, Mix & Maertz, props.; Elton Mercantile Company, W.B. McArthur, prop.; Elton Hotel, M.J. Binder, prop.; L.R. Roberts store, and the Grange Hall.
Evergreen District No. 7, (Washington)
Washington District lies in the southwestern part of Evergreen township. It was settled in the early part of the twentieth century by Charles Bowen, who came to the district in 1904, Luke Powell, Miles E. Jones, Albert Crom, Joseph Powers, John Shelv and B. Rose. New settlers are constantly arriving in the district.
The first school was a small frame structure which is located opposite the present frame school built on section 29. It was used until 1912 when the new school was constructed and was named in honor of George Washington. Hazel Cunningham was the first teacher in the new school. Other early teachers were Irene McKinney and Miss Larzelere. The 1921-22 school officials were Frank Tabor, Clerk; L.L. Pennington, Treasurer, and Joseph Powers, Director.
Dr. A.A. Lynn of Iowa has a shorthorn cattle ranch in this district.
The settlers are from Kentucky. Much of the district is hilly and unsettled. Improvements are being made frequently by the residents. All the settlers are living within a short distance from Elton.
Web Site TOC
E-mail the Webmaster
All Rights Reserved.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids