|Antigo, Wisconsin Genealogy Gopher|
|City of Antigo and Langlade County, Wisconsin Genealogical Research Sources|
|Home > Civil Towns > Ackley|
Ackley District No. 1 (Clover Valley)
In the year of 1880 fourteen men came to settle the eastern part of District No. One, Town of Ackley. There were some single men but most of them were married. Among the later were Matt Duda, James Sisel, Joseph Stengl, Frank Wilson, Alfred Brandow, B. Wooledge Sr., B. Wooledge Jr., James Brich, W.W. Stone and Charles Koudelka. James Wit, Matt Wachal, George Brandow and John Stengl were single.
The land was purchased and clearing of it began. They could not haul the logs to the mill as fast as they were cut. The prices were low and there were plenty of nice logs so the poorer ones were piled up and burned. Rough log houses or shanties were built when the settlers first came here. After about an acre or so was cleared they began to rebuild their houses or fix them up.
The timber that was plentiful was elm, maple, pine, balsam and birch.
The logs were sold at Antigo. When the people first came here they got their supplies at Wausau. After they were settled down their supplies could be obtained at Antigo.
The animals that were plentiful were deer, rabbits, squirrels, woodchucks, some stray bear and also some wolves and wildcats. The deer were so plentiful that they came up to the houses at night and ate the oats that were sowed nearby.
In 1884, four years after the first settlement a district was marked off and a road was built. A school house was built at the present site. The first teacher was Miss Brandow. The school was not equipped very modernly; they had a small box stove, only a few black-boards and not very many books. In a few years they built an addition to the school and put in a hardwood floor.
The same building is still in use. However, there is a good suply of books, new single seats and a ventilating system.
About five years ago Alfred Brandow bought a pure bred Holstein sire. Now Alois Stengl, M.J. Mullen and Charles Stengl have pure bred Holstein sires with which they have built up a good herd of Holstein cattle. Matt Wachal has a pure bred Guernsey sire with which he intends to build up a good herd of dairy cows. Jacob Kloida has a pure bred Ayrshire sire.
In the year of 1904 mail was first delivered and Frank Ferdon, who still occupies the position, was the first mail carrier.
The pioneers living here are Matt Wachal and John Stengl. Matt Wachal is still living on the land he bought thirty-seven years ago.
There are two telephone lines each a mile and a half long. The Stenglville Telephone line runs from the city limits to John Steber's farm and the Eau Claire runs from John Aulik's farm to the Eau Claire river.
Published in the Daily Journal, February 16, 1922
Published in the Farmers Journal, February 21, 1922
By Florence Morgan
In the year 1880 fourteen families settled in District No. 1 in the town of Ackley. Their names were: Matt Duda, James Sisel, Joseph Stengle, Frank Wilson, Alfred Brandow, Matt Wachal, James Brick, W.W. Stone, and Charles Koudelka.
James Witt, George Brandow and John Stengl bought land and built log houses.
Timber such as maple, Elm, Birch, Pine and Balsam were very plentiful then.
At that time all supplies had to be gotten from Wausau.
There also were many wild animals here among them, there were deer, rabbits, squirrels, wood chucks and a few bears.
In 1884 a district was marked off and a road and a school house were built. The first school house was small and not very modernly equipped. They had a box stove, a couple of blackboards and a few books. The same building is still in use, although it has had an addition built onto it, a ventilating system installed, new single seats, and a good supply of books.
The first teacher who taught the Clover Valley school was Miss Marie Kiefer, who received twenty-three dollars a month.
In 1904 mail was first delivered by Frank Ferdon, who still holds that position.
Pioneers still living in this district are Matt Wachal and Mr. Adamski. Mr. Wachal is still living on the land he purchased forth years ago. Mr. Adamski is still living on the land he purchased twenty-eight years ago.
Two telephone lines a mile and one-half long are in the district.
The Stenglville telephone runs from the city limits to John Steber's farm, and the Eau Claire telephone extends from the city limits to John Aulik's farm. A few years ago Alois Stengl, Charles Stengl, John Aulik and Cary Bros. Purchased pure bred sires, with which they have built up fine herds of dairy cattle.
Matt Wachal has a pure bred sire and also has a good herd of dairy cows.
There are fifteen silos, in this district; four of them are concrete, the remainder stave.
All of the farmers plant pure-bred seed and get good crops.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
This district is one of the oldest settlement sin Langlade County. It is also one of the smallest, containing sections 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, all of Township 31, Range 10 East in East Ackley congressional township.
The district system of school government was adopted in Ackley township by a vote of 64 to 56 on April 6, 1886. Thus district No. 1 was created. It should be understood, however, that schools were opened in this territory six years previous.
District No. 1 originally consisted of all of sections 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 in both townships 31, Ranges 9 and 10 East, and also sections 7, 8, 17, 18, 19. 20, 29, 30 in Township 31, Range 9 East. Originally a district containing 12,800 acres it has, by detaching, recreation of districts and organization of joint districts, dwindled down to but 3,840 acres.
In the year 1880, before the railroad pierced into the country, Matt Duda, Frank Wilson, Joseph Stengl, James Sisel, Alfred Brandow, B. Wooledge, Sr., and son, James Witt, Matt Wachal, Sr., John Stengl, James Brick, W.W. Stone, Charles G. Koudelka, and George Brandow settled on cheap land or staked homesteads in this territory.
Upon their little domains rude log cabins were erected. Necessities of life were considered luxuries by the hardy inhabitants. Wausau was the trading post and one settler would follow the Indian trails on the Eau Claire river banks or an old road cut out by river drivers to that city for provisions. He would haul back to the sparsely settled region such provisions as flour, corn meal, meats, clothing, and garden seeds and grain for the pioneers. The journey, tedious, would take two to three days as oxen were used and they do not compare well with the motor car of today or the fast twentieth century locomotive. Yet in a time like that the settlers were content with what they possessed. The adjacent world was not more fortunate.
In the year 1884 a school was erected. Miss Mary Kiefer and Miss Brandow were very early teachers. The school was a typical pioneer institution of learning. A small stove, a few black boards, and rough floors and benches were used. Text books were not uniform. Teachers' salaries then averaged $25 per month.
The settlers welcomed new families into the district and before long an addition was made on the little school. The same school is in use by the district yet. It is located on the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 35.
The district has splendid roads and rural free delivery since 1904 keeps the agriculturist in touch with events of the state, nation and world. He may receive election returns without leaving his plow or may order his supplies from Antigo, county seat, without leaving his comfortable farm home. The Stenglville and Eau Claire river telephone services are at his command.
The residents are progressive. Pure bred cattle are encouraged, scientific farming and modern dairying methods are practiced and fostered.
Lumbering was an important industry in pioneer days. The logs were hauled to the banks of the Eau Claire river and driven to Schofield, village near Wausau, Wis.
The first school officers were: Lloyd Breck, Director; John Stengl, Treasurer; and B.H. Wooledge, Clerk.
Ackley District No. 2 (Ferndale)
The earliest settler in our district was Mr. Ackley who had an Indian woman for a wife. He died about fifteen years ago. He had a few sons and daughters, some of whom are still living. Some of his sons went to the Heineman school but now they have moved to another district. He lived on what is now Jim Aird's farm.
The other early settlers are Joseph Gardaphe, Herman Meyer, Mary Figel, Joe Csuy, Joe Pesl, Mr. Woodcock, Mr. Legro, George Echart, Mr. Rapel and Mary Wipenger.
The latest are Mrs. Fronek, Anton Zima, Albert Schillman, Jim Pesl, Mr. Head, Mr. Rollo and Mr. Sherreff.
Most of our settlers are Germans and Bohemians. There are also a few Irish, French, Slav and Polish families.
The Bohemians are Frank Legro, Jim Pesl, Joe Pesl, Mary Wipenger, John Bahr, Anton Zima, Matt Herman, Anton Herman, Joe Molle and George Stengl.
The Slavs are Mary Figel and Joe Csuy.
The Frence are Joseph Gardaphe and Albert Rollo.
The Germans are Herman Meyer, Peter Rapel, A. Schillman, Frank Schultz, Herman Laehn, Albert Ziglinski, Ed. Grabowsky and Carl Olen.
Those of Polish descent are Peter Cielei, Valentine Giegel and John Sobieck.
The Irishmen are C.C. Woodcock, W. Head, Frank Sherreff, Jim Aird and C. Stevenson.
The farmers in this district have a few silos. Those who have silos are Mr. Woodcock, who has one made of staves. George Stengl has a concrete silo, Anton Zima a stave one, and Fred Meyer has one made of stone and brick and boards on the outside.
The farmers who have a few pure bred cattle are Mr. Csuy, three Jersey cows; W. Head, three Jersey cows; Mr. Meyer, one Jersey Cow and one Guernsey cow; D.C. Woodcock , two Holstein calves, one sire and two cows; Mr. Schillman has one Jersey cow. The rest of the farmers have mixed cattle but many of them will start pure breds. The farmers take their milk to the cheese factory which is located near here.
Published in the Daily Journal, May 24, 1921
By Helen Herman
The district was organized about the year 1875. Joseph Ackley and his two sons were the first settlers. This district was named after them. When they came here the land was covered with forests and Indians inhabited the land. There wee no roads except the trails made by the wild animals and Indians. The settlers had to carry their clothing and groceries on their backs from Wausau, a distance of about thirty-five miles. Some of the settlers went to Wausau by means of canoes. When the first railroad was built the farmers appreciated its use.
Most of the farmers settled on homesteads though some purchased government land selling at two dollars and fifty cents at that time.
The first thing to be done was to build houses, clear land and plant Indian corn for food. The white people treated the Indians kindly and the Indians soon became friendly. The showed the whites how to hunt animals and tap trees. The Indians called the sap from the trees sugar water. The whites gave the Indians pork and white bread.
In the year 1886 a few other settlers came here. Most of the settlers came from Europe. In those days they traveled by coaches and by water.
Those who came were as follows: H. Holly, M. Qurada, J. Hermann, S. Stengle and F. Legro.
A railroad runs through this district. It connects Antigo with Heinemann, Casper and other small places.
A few years ago an acre of land was purchased from A. Herman and the town hall was built.
A number of garages were built in this district during this past year. Those who have tractors are W. Head, F Shultz and A. Berndt.
Mr. Meyer, Mr. Echart, Mr. Stengle and Mr. Berndt have lighting systems installed. Three new autos were purchased last year. Mr. F. Schultz is a successful poultry raiser.
Mr. Head is the one who raises the most potatoes. Mr. Berndt is a successful dairy farmer.
Two new barns were erected, one on the John Bahr farm and the other on the A. Zima farm.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
District No. 2 is located in the southern part of East Ackley township No. 31, Range 10 East. It originally consisted of 20 sections, as follows: Sections 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Township 31 Range 10 East, and all of sections 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, and 28 in Township 31, Range 9 East.
While the education of the youth was adequately provided for, considering the perplexities confronting the early settlers, the district was not organized until April 28, 1886. Schools were erected before then in many instances.
When the first settlers in Ferndale district arrived they found the country a desolate wilderness. Roaming bands of Indians, chiefly of the Chippewa and Menominee tribes, hunted in the forests and fished in the Eau Claire river. Their main Indian trail was along the Eau Claire river banks and went north and eastward toward Oconto County territory, and the old Lake Superior Trail. It was this trail that many settlers used to haul or "man pack" supplies to the settlement from Wausau. Settlers in other districts had the same experience. Some early settlers were M. Hermann, A. Hermann, J. Stengl, M. Orado, L. Legro, and H. Holley.
It was during the early settlement of the district that the Indians intermingled with the white settlers. The custom among the first white settlers was to take Indian maidens as their brides. They erected a little cabin, usually under the boughs of a giant pine tree, hunted wild game, secured provisions, worked on the river drives, trapped in the winter months, fished in the Eau Claire river and cultivated little garden patches while the dusky maiden reigned over the household affairs. Hospitality to no higher degree was ever exhibited than by the "(term deleted)" and his wife. Many of the pioneer settlers were taught by the Indians how to operate a light canoe down the Eau Claire river to Schofield, Wis.
The first school erected in the district was a rough frame structure in 1886. It was located on section 35. Miss Susan Watson was the first teacher. A Mr. Wescott was a member of the first school board.
The old school was moved from its original location to the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 26, East Ackley township on land owned by John Bahr, Sr., pioneer settler. The wooden structure served until the settlers decided to construct a new school of brick. The old one was moved off the site by D.C. Woodcock, who purchased it after the erection of a modern school years later.
The 1922-23 school board consists of John Bahr, Jr., Treasurer; G.C. Woodcock, Director; and Steven Feigel, Clerk.
There are about twenty farmers residing in the district. It has a cheese factory, erected in 1917 by J. Grunderman, who since sold to E. Haase. The factory is located on Section 26, near the school house. It is now operated by Michael F. Helmbrecht.
The soft drink parlor of Jess Hawkins is located on the northeast quarter of the southwest quarter of section 26.
Highway 64 runs through this district. All other roads are well maintained.
Agriculturing and dairying are the principal occupations of the residents. Excellent lighting systems, well kept barns, silos, farm machinery, neat residences, substantial out buildings, farm tractors, rural telephones, a rural mail system - all these are splendid features of the district.
The town hall of Ackley township is located in this district on section 23.
Ackley District No. 3 (Longfellow)
The district is located in the town of Ackley and extends through the two townships except for one section.
The district is bounded on the north by the Rosedale, on the south by the Ferndale, on the east by the Mayflower, and on the west by the Marsh district.
The surface of this district is quite level. There are a few knolls, on one of which the Longfellow school is situated. The western part is rocky and marshy.
A great amount of the soil is clay loam, but there is also sandy loam.
The central part of this district is drained by Trout Creek. A little farther west is the east branch of the Eau Claire River and farther west is the west branch. This makes drainage possible throughout the whole district.
The early settlers came here in 1876. They were Frank, John and Michael Kennedy, James and Thomas Hafner, Charles Nelson, and Westley Dansen. Hafners and Kennedys are Irish, Nelsons and Dansens are Swedish.
The settlers who came the next few years were D. O'Brien, Jacob Jilek, James Maloney, Peter Higgins, Joseph Singer, and Solmen Goodman.
The first school was built in the fall and Michael Hafner was the first teacher. His salary was twenty-five dollars in the winter and thirty-five in the summer.
The nearest market place was Wausau. The people had to float the logs down the river to get them there. Later Mr. Anderson built a store in Antigo and people went there to do their trading.
The buildings were made of logs, except Kennedy's, which was a frame one.
The cheese factory now owned by Mr. J. Maresh was built in 1900.
At first the people made everything by hand, but soon they bought farm tools and things for the house as well.
The chief industries are dairying agriculture and some logging. They also do fishing, but it is not one of the important industries.
During the past eight years other people have been moving into the district. They are Charles Krall, Carl Jerabek, Ernest Joss, Fred Swenson, Michael Iceburg, Frank Kozla, Be?? Francel, Frank Ouzada, Henry Rose, and Mr. Lieth.
Kralis, Jerabeks, Jileks, Iceberg, and Kozlas are Bohemians; Maloreys and Higgins are Irish; Solmen Goodman, English; Fred Swenson, Norwegian; and Ernest Joss, Swiss.
Because of the rapid increase of people two years later the log school was built. It was found to be to small so a frame one was built. As the number of pupils still increased in a short time they found it necessary to put an addition to this building. Soon more stories were built in Antigo and three or four hotels, where farmers could sell their vegetables.
The people of this district built frame houses. Hafner's house was frame, Krall's was made of logs.
The roads were very bad in this district. The people could not use buggies for there were large holes in the roads. But people soon put logs across the road and put gravel over them. The people had ox-carts at first, but soon buggies and wagons were used. A state road was put through this district. It extends from Boyle's to Baker's corner.
The people voted on building a new school house. It was built of brick. In the year of 1916 a new furnace was installed. We now have a cupboard, dishes, oil stove, chairs, sewing table etc.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
In the northeastern part of East Ackley is an area of land containing seven and one-half sections or 4,800 acres. This portion of Langlade County, lying northwest of Antigo, is known as District No. 3, since designated as the Longfellow district, in honor of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, distinguished American poet.
The first settlers braved the perils of a desolate wilderness infested with Indians as early as 1877. Those who were first to settle here were John Kennedy, Michael Kennedy, Frank P. Kennedy, Charles Nelson, G. Hoglander, John Nelson, John McGahn, Emanuel McGahn, Thomas Hafner, John Hafner, Michael Hafner, Albert Berdan, the O'Brien family, S. Goodwin, and J. Jilik. Following the first vanguard came Peter Higgins, Sr., his son, Peter Higgins, Jr., Henry Higgins, Joseph Singer, Martin Maloney, and others.
Many of the first settlers came from Wausau, Stevensville, Outagamie County, and other nearby cities. The first came from Wausau with yokes of oxen. The journey was a long one and many of the early homesteaders and land purchasers spent days on the journey. Their family belongs were carted by the same oxen.
Log shacks were hastily erected. Their scooped roofs furnished a picturesque contrast to those frame buildings first erected in the district by Michael Kennedy, who imported the lumber from Wausau. The Martin Maloney and John Nelson homes were second and third frame residences in the district.
Sustenance was provided by the excellent soil and work in the pine timber belt. The Brooks & Ross Company, Wausau, and other Pioneer lumber interests, cut pine in the region. Many of the settlers took an active part in this industry during its high tide.
Education of the children was provided for before the expiration of the first year. In 1878 a log school house was erected just a little to the east of the present school site. This school was not a step in advance of the schools such as Abraham Lincoln or Daniel Webster attended. The first teachers were very conscientious and industrious, as are most of those of today. The first teacher, Michael Hafner, still lives in Langlade County. In 1922 he returned to the district to visit some of the remaining pioneers. Other early teachers were Carrie and Marian Finucane, Lizzie Young, Mrs. Margaret Hughes, Harry Logan, now a preacher at Appleton, Wis., and Margaret Kavanaugh. The Kennedy, Nelson, and Hoglander children were the first pupils.
Two years later, 1880, the first frame school was erected on the present school site. It was used until 1910. Its cost was $500, but additions and betterments since have entailed $500 expenses. The modern brick structure was erected in 1910 by August Stabe, Antigo contractor, at a cost of $1,800. It is located in the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 11.
John Hruska erected the first cheese factory seventeen years ago. It was operated successfully by Ernest Jaess and Joseph Maresch until the fall of 1921 when it burned. On the same location, section 11 (NW 1/4), the American Produce Company, a corporation in which Ackley farmers are principal stockholders, opened a new cheese factory May 22, 1922. The first factory was called the Kennedyville factory.
Members of the original school board of this district were Frank P. Kennedy, Clerk; John Kennedy, Director, and John Nelson, Treasurer. Agnes Kennedy was the district teacher in 1921-22, while the school officers for that term were Peter Higgins, Jr., Treasurer; Fred Swenson, Clerk, and John Fronek, Director.
The Indians, Chippewa, chiefly, had many favorite camping and fishing locations in the district. They were not very industrious, but were kind to the first settlers. Often these red folk entered home for food or clothing.
District No. 3 originally consisted of fifteen and one-half sections, East Ackley township. The sections were 1, 2, 3, one-half of section 4, all of sections 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, or 9,940 acres. This is twice the present area of the district. Organization took place April 6, 1886. The district now comprises 5,440 acres of land in sections 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and the south half of section 1, Township 31, Range 10 East.
Ackley District No. 5 (Eau Claire)
The first settlers in this District were Regotki, Smith, Galuski and Strycula. The people when they first came here found the place only unbroken forests except only here and there some vacant old logging camps.
The above named settlers came from Austria-Hungary to make homes for themselves. They were attracted to these regions by the cheap timber lands, as the lands in their native country were very dear and it was hard to make a living.
They are all Polish except Strycula, who is a Bohemian.
The first thing these people did was to build houses and make a small clearing for planting. Their homes were nothing more than logging camps.
Some more polish settlers came. Among the first were Joseph Prasalowicz who had resided in Pennsylvania before he came to this District.
Soon after Mr. Prasalowicz's arrival was John Maniecki who came from Prussia; but had been living in other parts of Wisconsin before he came here.
The other settlers were Shaffer, Henry Lorenz and Joseph Hell. The three above mentioned are Germans and all come from Germany except Henry Lorenz who comes from Austria-Hungary.
One of the settlers, Mr. Regotki left shortly after the arrival of some of the others and now resides in Thorpe, Wisconsin.
The others meanwhile made a rough road. They used it to go to the city of Antigo for food and other supplies.
Then Mr. Shaffer sold his homestead which was an old logging place before he bought it, to Thomas White of German parentage.
Thomas White was a brother-in-law to Henry Lorenz who resides with his sister and niece. The land which he bought was just adjoining his brother-in-law's farm.
Mr. White, wishing to live in something better than the logging camp which was still there made another building a little ways from it on a hill overlooking the West Branch of the Eau Claire River. He resided in this house for some time until it was destroyed by fire. He again moved back to the old logging camp, repaired it and added a small shanty on the west side.
After some time Joseph Hell who had a homestead about seven miles from here moved in and bought a farm adjoining Mr. White's. Then another settler, Mr. Rysula came. Soon after came John Banczak and Prebocki. They all came from Austria-Hungary and are of the Polish nationality.
After the arrival of Peter Incha, a Bohemian, they made a better road and an iron bridge over the East Branch of the Eau Claire river.
After there were quite a number of settlers they thought of educating their children, but as yet they could not build a schoolhouse because they lacked the funds. Therefore they selected a room for a temporary schoolhouse in Mr. Regotki's house. The teacher was Mr. Phillip Aird with a salary of twenty-five dollars a month. There were about fifteen scholars in this schoolhouse which had four rooms. The family also resided in the remaining apartments. This school was only for one school term.
Soon after that the home of Joseph Prasalowicz was destroyed by fire. His wife, their children and himself were working in the fields at the time. When they came home they found their house a pile of ruins. So they lived with Mr. Anton Smith, a relative, for a short while until they built a small shanty where they lived until they built a better one.
The next year the settlers built a small frame school building close to the East Branch of the Eau Claire river on Mr. Regotki's land which was then the property of Mr. Kendziora from Prussia. This land is now the property of Mr. Walter Prasalowicz, a son of Mr. Joseph Prasalowicz and a son-in-law of Mr. Peter Kendziora. To this schoolhouse also the children of District number Seven went as that District did not have a schoolhouse.
Following shortly after the building of the first schoolhouse the home of Mr. Louis Paff, from Austria-Hungary was burned. He then moved on the western side of the East Branch of the Eau Claire river and bought a farm adjoining Mr. John Maniechi's.
Mr. Rysula too, soon left and went to live on the other side of the West Branch of the Eau Claire river belonging to District number Seven.
His son, Andrew left to live on his old farm. Then came another settler, Mr. Radis, who came from Germany.
The schoolhouse still continued to be for a long time the place of learning for both the Districts.
After the arrival of Mr. Radis, soon followed George Foster, an American. Following him came Frank Fisher, from Austria-Hungary. He bought a farm opposite Mr. Lorenz's property.
They built another bridge after the arrival of Foster and Radis on the West Branch of the Eau Claire river.
After the death of Mr. Andrew Rysula's father he moved to District number Seven.
Soon two more settlers came. Mr. Drabek and Mr. Wilcenski. Following them came Mr. Joseph Motsko and John Somers. Mr. Motsko is a Bohemian, and John Somers is an Englishman.
On Mike Gesiorek's farm and John Maniecki's are a few Indian graves by the rivers. When Mr. Mike Gesiorek was plowing in his field one day he found a rusty sword knife supposed to have been used by the Indians.
Soon after Mr. Styrcuia died and his wife stayed on his property for some time. Then she married a widower with four children by the name of Joseph Langa who was living in Jennings, Wisconsin. He is a Bohemian and comes from Prussia.
Shortly after this followed the death of Mr. Radis. Mrs. Radis then married Gustave Belter, a German.
Then came Martin Novara from Chicago who also is of the Polish descent, and comes from Austria-Hungary. Then another settler, Mr. Andrew Korkus came. He bought a farm adjoining Mr. Incha's land, who is related to him.
After two years another settler Mike Gesiorek, a Pole, came. He bought the land from Mr. Thomas B. White who went to Idaho and still resides there.
After this there were quite a number of settlers here. More and more children came to school. The schoolhouse finally became far too small for all of them. So they thought now of building a new school house. So at one of the school meetings they talked about plans for the construction of a new school building. There were some heated discussions. The people East of the Eau Claire river wanted the school building to be erected in the same place where the old one stood while the people west of the river wanted it to stand on the corner where it now stands, which is on the northwest corner of Mr. Walter Prasalowicz's farm. They held another meeting and being unable to settle it otherwise they voted on it. After the votes were counted the largest number were for it to stand on the northwestern corner of Mr. Walter Prasalowicz's farm.
The schoolhouse which now stands has one acre of ground for playground and school buildings. It is made of gray brick. The old schoolhouse became the home of Walter Prasalowicz. He got it because it was on his land. He gave another acre for the old school ground. Just before the new school building was started, Mr. Galuski, one of the first settlers who came here died.
Then some more settlers came, Mr. LeClaire and Mr. Bryant. Mr. Bryant stayed here one winter and Mr. LeClaire a little longer. Mr. LeClaire moved to Michigan. Bryant's location is not known.
Mr. Drosdzik came a few years before the construction of the new schoolhouse. He bought the land from Mike Gesiorek who after selling his first land bought another piece here from Mr. Thomas White where he now resides.
Soon after the construction of the new school building, Frank Bera came and Mr. Frank Jeropke. After a few years Mr. Joseph Galarowicz also a resident of this District moved to Wausau where he now resides.
Mr. Raab came five years ago from District number Seven. He came to this country from Germany.
About a year after the new schoolhouse was built Mr. Belter sold his farm to Mr. Straka and Mr. Rozboril a father and son-in-law, who live together. He moved shortly after to Chicago.
There is a track here which runs through the south end of Mr. Banczak's farm, and it was constructed to bring supplies to the saw mill in District number Seven.
The schoolhouse was named last year and called the Eau Claire School from the river of the same name which flows on both sides close by.
The lately arrived settler is John Mettler who came here a year ago from District number Seven, and bough a farm opposite Frank Jeropke's.
The people here are engaged in agriculture. Some of the men work in logging camps during the winter months. The people who have silos are Banczaks and Prochockis.
The settlers now have their farms nearly all cleared. The soil is well adapted to agriculture. Towards the west the lands are low and marshy and are often too wet to raise any crops except hay.
The settlers living here at the present time are as follows.
Louis Paff, Joseph Hell, Mike Gesiorek, Joseph Langa, Frank Fisher, Henry Lorenz, Anton Straka, Frank Jeropki, Louis Raab, Joseph Wilcenski, Joseph Motsko, Joseph Drosdzik, Andrew Korkus, Peter Incha, Joseph Prasalowicz, Walter Prasalowicz, Mrs. Galuski, Mrs. Prebocki, John Prebocki, John Mettler, Martin Novara, Anton Smith, Frank Bera, John Bera, John Banczak, Sebestian Drabek and Frank Mazurkieurcz.
Published in the Daily Journal, June 6, 1921
By Martha Gesiorek
The first settlers of the Eau Claire District were Stephan Regotki, John Galuski and Anton Smith. Of these only Anton Smith still lives. They came from Poland, to make livings on farms since they know no other occupations.
At that time Antigo was very small with but very few inhabitants. It had a church and a store. The place where we now live was dense forests and a few Indians lingered in some places.
The people got all the supplies from Antigo and as food they raised rye, potatoes and different vegetables. They could not raise many products at first as they were clearing land, so they used all that they raised.
They carried their supplies from Antigo with oxen and wagons. There weren't any buggies, automobiles nor bicycles in the district then. The roads, rudely cut through the forests were very narrow. The bridges were made of logs.
They did not use any machinery such as binders or mowers. They cut their grain and hay with the scythe and threshed their grain with the flail.
Their homes were made of logs and the crevices were stuffed with moss. The first to come were men who built homes and then brought their families.
For about four years the children were taught at Regotki's where the teacher Philip Aird came and taught them for four months each winter. The first school house was a small frame one where Walter Prasalowrcz now lives. The first teacher was Sarah Ano and the second Iva Dobbs. The pupils Anna Galuski, now Mrs. Adamski, walked to school. The officers were Mr. J Manecki, Mr. J. Prebock and Mr. F. Fisher. There were about fifteen pupils. Some of them had to walk about two miles.
There aren't any land marks, but there is an Indian grave on Joe Adamski's farm near the river. There was an Indian horse trail around the west branch of the Eau Claire, but it has almost disappeared.
The nearest railroad was laid about ten years after the settlers came. It was laid by the Heinemann Lumber Co.
A sawmill was also built near the railroad, where most of the settlers were employed. A store belonging to the Heinemann Co., where the people sold their products and bought their necessary provisions, was afterwards built. The store was changed to a cheese factory where it now stands. The population grew every year.
When the great war broke out several of our men were called. Those that fought for the cause of liberty were Joseph Hell, who was killed in France; Anton Prasalowwrez, who was killed in France; Peter Galuski died in France; Andrew Drabek was wounded in France. Those that served and received honorable discharges were John Manecki, Mike Bera, John Banczak and Dan Langa.
This district was named several years ago. The children and teacher picked out two names which were voted upon by the people of the district. One, "Eau Claire" was selected. It is called Eau Claire because it lies between the eastern and western branches of the Eau Claire River. Eau Claire is a French word meaning "Clear Water."
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
This district is located in the west central part of Ackley township, and lies almost wholly within Township 31, Range 9 East. It consists of all of sections 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, and the south halves of sections 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 of Township 31, Range 9 East, all of sections 16, 17, 19, the south one-half of section 18, the north three-quarters of section 21, the west one-half of section 22, the northeast one-fourth of section 22, the northwest one-fourth of the southeast one-fourth of section 22, all in Township 31, Range 10 East.
District No. 5, organized April 6, 1886, originally consisted of all territory beginning at the northeast corner of section 7, Township 32, Range 10 East, thence running south to the southeast corner of section 12, then west to the southwest corner of section 10, Township 32, Range 9 East, thence north to the northwest corner of section 3, thence east to the place of beginning. It will be observed that this territory is not within the present Ackley township limits, but is in the notheastern part of Peck township.
The territory now known as Eau Claire district was within the original limits of districts 2, 3 and 6.
J. Schaeffer, John Galuski, Anton Smith, Albert Reggotki, Albert Preboski, and Charles Ackley were pioneer settlers. Ted Bera and John Boncyzk were also early settlers, but later than the first.
The district was one of the principal pine belts in western Langlade County and logging and lumbering were the chief industries until the cut over lands were cleared and cultivated. The Brooks & Ross Company, W.L. Ackley, Boyington, and others logged and cut pine in this territory in a very early day.
The farm home of Albert Reggotski was the location of the first school, which was taught by Phillip Aird, who became an Ackley township official later.
Some of the pioneer Ackley township roads were constructed in this district, the old beds of which are still visible. Indian trails abounded and many settlers used them to get from cabin to cabin.
The original farm dwellings were nothing but log shacks, just as were those of the other districts.
Early bridges were constructed of logs, sod, and stones. The most historic is the old Galuski bridge, which collapsed under a load in 1887.
The Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Company built a spur track into this territory to haul lumber products, logs, and to serve the village of Heinemann generally in 1901. The track runs through sections 23 and 24 in this district.
Mention has been made of the first school. The second was soon after erected near the Prasalowicz place, section 21, on the banks of the Eau Claire (East Branch) river. The present school was erected in 1910. It is a brick structure which cost $1,800.
There are approximately thirty-five settlers in the district which is named Eau Claire because of the two branches of that river joining nearby.
A vast portion of this district is not inhabited. Highway No. 64 traverses it on a direct west course to the Lincoln County Line.
The present school is located on the northwest one-fourth of the northeast one-fourth of section 21.
Ackley District No. 6 (Marsh)
Mr. Beer passed through this vicinity and gave William Taylor an excellent account of the beautiful country so that by spring W. Taylor was prepared to begin his long journey.
On March 10th, 1877. W. Taylor started on his journey. He had a team of horses, two calves for which he paid $25.00, one hundred pounds of flour, thirty pounds of pork and twenty-five cents in his pocket. On his way he passed over a wide marsh. The water was so deep that the wagon box was filled in less than five minutes.
When W. Taylor came to this part of the country he only had a few rough tools with which he constructed a small rude log house. He made his own shingles out of basswood which he split in halves and hollowed them out.
He then laid one on the roof with the bard down and then he laid the edge of the last one in the hollowed part of the other. He continued this way until he finished the whole roof.
Mr. Taylor planted one-half bushel of potatoes and harvested 60 bushels. He made a little hole, put a potato in and cared for them no more. He also harvested one hundred bushels.
Taylors did their trading in Merrill. Mr. Taylor would go to Merrill, purchase a hundred pounds of flour and go home. When the path was a little better he would run for you must know there were no roads at that time.
Soon they wanted to have a post office so the people wrote many letters, and the men of the country around would take turns in carrying the mail. Mr. Taylor also carried mail. He would start early in the morning, get to Merrill at noon and only get his lunch and mail and start out again. He would get home before dark after a journey of 56 miles for which he received $2.00. One dollar at that time was worth three dollars present money.
Mrs. Taylor was a very small woman, weighting only sixty-three pounds. When she was a small girl her uncle took her on a swing with him. She fell down and hurt her back. From that time she was a cripple. Mrs. Taylor cared for the sheep, chickens, garden and house.
In the spring there were so many mosquitoes that they had to wear veils so they would not be bitten. The sun was nearly hidden because there were so many mosquitoes.
W. Taylor cleared three acres of land for a man near Merrill who gave him a small cow. While leading it home he came to a high log over which the cow could not jump so Taylor lifted her and got her across the log in safety.
At this time a barrel of flour cost three dollars and fifty cents. A barrel of pork cost ten dollars, and a bushel of potatoes cost twenty-five cents. A pair of good shoes cost three dollars.
The people in this vicinity were C. Yopes and Allen Space, for this part of the country was not yet laid into districts.
All the people at first thought that Antigo would be built near the Eau Claire River. Mr. Deleglise, an engineer, owned some land near the Northwester Ry. And thought Antigo should be located at Spring Brook. Spring Brook is a little brook located near the Northwestern Railway.
In 1899 the Schumitschs came to this district. They moved here April 6, from Fond du Lac. There was four feet of snow on the ground so they came here on sleighs. They had a small team of bronchos weighting about sixteen hundred pounds. In the spring they cleared some land and bought another horse to do the ploughing.
Their first house was a small log cabin still standing. Taylor lived across the road from Schumitschs. He had many hundreds of sheep. Later Schumitschs brought some sheep and had many.
Water was scarce and wells could not be dug so people were obliged to carry water from Black Brook which runs through the southwest corner of the Town of Peck. One day while hunting they saw a robin drinking water and as they approached discovered a spring near their homes. So the robin discovered the first spring in this district.
The first road was built on what is now the boundary line between Towns East Ackley and West Ackley. It was one and one-half miles long and ran into a marsh. Whenever a person wanted to go to town he would have to go across the marsh over logs and brush.
The first school house was built of logs three-fourths of a mile southwest of the present school. John Kennedy was the first teacher. The number of pupils attending was twelve. Second and third teachers were John Kennedy's sisters.
The second school was built one-half mile south of the present school house. It was a one-story building painted blue. There were four windows and one door in it. Mrs. J. Schumitsch, formerly Agnes Singer, was the first teacher in the second school.
The present school house was built of red brick in 1906. All materials used were hauled by J. Schumitsch,k Jr. The first teacher was Miss Brandow. The second school house was moved to the present place and used as a woodshed.
In 1911 Domkes moved onto the former A. Anderson farm from town of Union, Waupaca County. The land was uncleared and there were no buildings on the farm.
They cleared about eight acres of land the first year. Mr. Domke planted twenty-five bushels of potatoes on the Morris farm and raised two hundred bushes.
Their first buildings were a frame house which is still standing and a small log barn. A year later they built a machine shed, granary and a cellar. The next two years they cleared about fifteen acres of land. Seven years later they cleared above five acres.
In 1915 Wolters moved onto a farm eight and one-half miles northwest of Antigo. They came from Antigo. The first year Mr. F. Wolters cleared land and built a frame house and barn. The second year he planted millet and five bushels of potatoes and harvested 85 bushels.
In 1917 Mr. E. Donke raised a new barn while two years later M.F. Wolters raised one too. The same year two calves, two yearlings, one cow and a pig of Mr. Domke's died.
The births in this district were those of paul, Alice, mary, Dorothy and Lester Schumitsch and Herber, Verna and Glendon Wolters. The marriages were those of Mary Schumitsch and H. Ahler and Agnes Singer and Joseph Schumitsch. The deaths were those of Mrs. W. Taylor and two of Schumitsch's and two of Wolcott's children.
In 1917 Wm. Taylor sold his farm and moved away. In 1918 Joseph Schumitsch, Sr., had an auction and moved away in January.
Other residents living in this district were Finns, Wollets, Cornwalls, Higgins, Roberts and Longworths.
We bought a farm in 1917 in the town of Peck and in April, 1918, we moved. The roads were muddy and it took us seven hours to get here. I belong to the Blue Bell district but on account of living far from the school I can not attend it. I attend the Marsh school because it is nearer.
In April, 1921, Mrs. Lawtons and Linsteds moved into this district. The only things that are lacking in this district are good drainage and good roads.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
District No. 6 situated in the northern part of Ackley, principally rage 9 east, is the largest school area in Ackley township. It comprises 12,000 acres, or all that territory within sections 1 to 12 inclusive in Township 31, Range 9 East, the north one-half of sections 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 in Range 9 East, the north one-half section 18, Range 10 East, also sections 6, 7, 8 in Township 31, Range 10 East, and the southwest one-fourth of section 5, Range 10 East.
District No. 6 was organized April 6, 1886, when the school system was changed from the township method to the district method. It then consisted of all of sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 in Township 31, Range 9 East, the west one-half of section 4, and also sections 5 and 6 in Township 31, Range 10 East, also more territory now is Peck township which was sparsely settled.
The first settlers were William Taylor and Thomas Woolets. William Taylor came into this district in 1877. His entire fortune consisted of a team, two calves, a hundred pound sack of flour and a few coppers in his pocket. It was necessary for him to drive through much swampy land to reach his small holding. He erected a log cabin, made his own shingles, hewed his logs and cultivated a patch of land to the rear of his cabin located on section 6, Township 31, Range 10 East. Other settlers later, but early, were Thomas Longworth and J. Finney.
Very few settlers moved into this district because of the marshy territory, poor drainage and inaccessibility to trading posts. Even water was hard to obtain by the first settlers, who carried many buckets from Black Brook, Peck township. Spring water was used also.
The first school was erected on a site three-quarters of a mile southeast of the present school site. Twelve pupils were in attendance at the first session which was in charge of John Kennedy. Elizabeth and Alice Kennedy were the second and third teachers in this district.
The log cabin school soon became inadequate to cope with educational needs of the district and a frame school was erected which Agnes Singer taught during the first session held. It was used until 1906, when a brick school house was erected on section 6. The second school was used afterward as a woodshed.
The first settler, William Taylor, moved from this district in 1917.
Members of the first school board were John Beardsley, Jonathan Reader and Peter G. Beck. (The district then included part of what is today Peck township). The school affairs in the Marsh District have been capably handled by various citizens, elected annually as members of the district board.
Much of the land in the district is owned by the B. Heinemann Lumber Company, the George Baldwin estate, and others.
Ackley District No. 7 (Riverview)
In 1847 Mr. Ackley at the age of nineteen years came down the east branch of the Eau Claire River in an Indian canoe. Before this he lived on a farm which is now in district five. He came here before land was surveyed. Later on, when it was, he took a homestead composed of Mr. Aird's and Mr. Rolo's farms. The Indians were the only people living here at the time. This town was named after Mr. Ackley because he was the first white man here. Mr. Ackley was a Frenchman and his wife was an Indian squaw.
His step son Charles owned eighty acres of land which is now Mr. Cornelius's farm just west of the river. His brother owned forty acres of land just north of his.
A trading post was established where the dam is now. Every year many Indians came here to sell their furs.
Mr. and Mrs. Ackley lived here a great many years and then sold the farm to James Aird. They moved away and later came back to live with their son, Charles. Mr. Ackley died here in 1888 at the age of sixty years. Mrs. Ackley, who became blind in her old age, died at the age of ninety-three.
In 1894 Campbell and Laning started a saw mill which was a branch of the Screen Door Factory in Antigo. They built a boarding house near the river where the dam stands now. They built the dam also. They sawed the logs into lumber and hauled them to Antigo with horses. There was no road so they went through the fields. The mill went bankrupt in Antigo in 1897 and then they stopped sawing logs out here.
Boxleitners came in 1894. They were the first white settlers on the west side of the river. They settled on forty acres of land owned by Mr. Humphrey nd forty acres of land owned by Charles Ackley. There was only a foot bridge across the river but that same year the town built a bridge. That same summer Stahls bought forty acres of land from Mr. Humphrey. About three years later Mr. Bretl bought eighty acres of land from Charles Ackley just south of Stahl's. Mr. Fuchs bought eighty acres of land in 1898. One forty joined the north forty of Boxleitner's. The other forty was just north of it. They did not have a road so they went through Boxleitner's land. In 1902 the town built a road for them.
In 1900 there was a big flood. The Boarding house which Campbell and Laning built was washed away. Mr. Bretl lived in the boarding house at that time.
The track was built in 1902 by the North Western Railroad Company. There were several disputes about the land along the track. Mr. Heineman wanted to own the land along the track and later on he did. The track was built to about two miles east of Doering.
In 1904 Heineman and Shuhbring bought out Campbell and Laning. They went under the name of the Eau Claire Milling Company. They built another boarding house. They also rebuilt the dam and mill. Some time later they dissolved partnership and then it was called the B. Heineman Lumber Company. After they dissolved partnership Heinemans built a store and planning mill. They had a post office out here also.
In 1901 Mr. Hoerman came here. They built a house on Fuch's land and lived there for several years. Then they bought forty acres of land in the north east one fourth of the south east one fourth of section twenty-nine township thirty-one north, range ten east. In 1900 Mr. Cornelius bought Mr. Bretl's farm. In 1905 Mr. Rezula bought forty acres of land west of the west branch of the Eau Claire River. Mr. Wilcenski bought some land west of Mr. Rezula's. He sold the land to Mr. Sanders. Then he sold it to Mr. Katufski.
The children from this district went to school in district five. Mr. Heineman wanted to organize a district here. The state granted him a district but the town would not. In 1906 after several law suits the town granted him a district. Mr. Heineman promised to build a school, furnish it, and pay the teacher for one year. After he left, it was found out that the money was borrowed from the state and the district must pay it back to the state. Mr. Mauer sold an acre of land in the corner of the north east one fourth of the south west one fourth section twenty-eight, township thirty-one range ten east to the district for school purposes.
School started November first 1906. The first officers were Fred Hoffman, clerk; W.B. Heineman, treasurer, and C. Bruce, director. The first teacher was Miss Ellyen Foster. This district was composed of thirty-three forties when it was organized.
Mr. Laufer bought Mr. Stahl's farm. Then Louis Boxleitner bought it from Mr. Laufer. He rented the land to Mr. Lemmer for several years. Mr. Maurer bought the land from Louis Boxleitner. Mr. maurer sold the land to Mr. Motts in 1912 and moved on forty acres of land just south of Mr. Rezula. Mr. Majoria bought Mr. Katufski's farm. Mr. Thomashek bought ten acres of land in 1909. Mr. Schillman bought Boxleitner's farm in 1909. Mr. Bury and Mr. Wallace came in 1911. In 1912 Otto Klessig bought Mr. Schillman's farm. In 1913 Mr. Wilcox bought forty acres of land from the Baldwin Estate just south of Majoria's farm. He had no road. In 1915 the town built one to his place. In 1915 Mr. Maurer bought forty acres of land from Mrs. Yanke.
In 1911 the mill burned down. Heinemans went away and started a mill at Wausau. A great many of the families which lived in the houses owned by the Heineman Lumber Company moved away also. The planing mill was running a short time after the mill burned down.
In 1913 district eight was discontinued and it was added to this district. District eight was composed of sections 29, 30, 31, 32 and half of sections 28,27, 26 and 25.
In 1914 a new bridge was built across the Eau Claire River. The bridge was built by the Worden and Allen company.
This school was named Riverview because it is about a quarter of a mile from the river. From the school grounds the river can be seen.
The school faces the south. It is nearly square. It is lighted by six windows on the north, two on the west and one in each cloak room.
There are two small cloak rooms and one small hall on the south. There is a door from each cloak room and hall leading into the main room and a door from each cloak room leading into the hall. The room is ventilated and heated by a Round Oak Heating plant, the fresh air passing up from under the stove and the foul air passing out through the chimney. The school is furnished with blackboards all around the room, a set of maps, a set of encyclopedias, a large globe and a small library. Several pictures were bought for the money which was taken in at a box social, and a pencil sharpener was bought for the premium money which was received for school work that was entered at the county fair.
Published in Dessureau's 1922 "History of Langlade County..."
When the township system of school government was abandoned in Ackley township, the township was divided into eight school districts. Reorganization took place from time to time in recognition of demands of new settlers and also because of Langlade County territorial changes from 1881 to 1885.
District No. 7 was organized by order of State Superintendent of Schools C.P. Cary, Thursday, July 26, 1906. The district was formed chiefly because of the demands for a school by the settlers residing at Heinemann, lumber village, in the territory. It consisted originally of the south half of the southwest quarter and the south half of the southeast quarter of section 20, the south quarter of the southwest quarter and the south half of the southeast quarter of section 21, the west half of section 27, all of sections 28, 29 and 30 and the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 32, all in Township 31, Range 10 East (East Ackley); also all of sections 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 in Township 31, Range 9 East. This took in territory once a part of the original Ferndale District No. 2. District No. 7 then contained 6,480 acres. Its area now, when changes in districts have been made, more important of which was made on petition of 27 citizens, June 4, 1919 is 10,320 acres. It includes all of sections 25 to 36 inclusive, Township 31, Range 9 East, all of sections 28, 29, 30, the west half of section 27, the south half of the south half of both sections 20, 21, and the south half of the southeast quarter of section 22, all in Township 31, Range 10 East.
The first officers of this school district were W.B. Heinemann, Treasurer; Charles Bruce, Director, and Fred Hoffman, Clerk. Present officers (1921-22) are John Mauer, Clerk; Charles Motts, Treasurer, and Herman Lucht, Director.
Early settlers in this district were: W.L. Ackley, Louis Poxleitner, Adolph Stall, Benno Hoermann, John Mauer, Matt Fuchs, Mrs. Joseph Kilet, and others.
The district has the distinction of having W.L. Ackley, first permanent settler of Langlade County, as its first settler. He arrived in this country in 1853. He was present in Ackley township when the government survey was made in 1860. Mr. Ackley lived on the Eau Claire river banks. He fished, hunted in the forests, lumbered in the pineries, aided the log drivers, established a business with D. Hogarty, traded with the Indians, lived, in fact, the life of a Daniel Boone in this country. Mr. Ackley was in this township, which bears his name, ten years before Henry Strauss, "Mystery Man" of the Wolf river country went into eastern Langlade County from Menominee, Michigan, to be from the haunts of all white men who he declared he wished no longer to see.
The district is, therefore, the oldest one in point of habitat by permanent white settlers.
The river driving on the Eau Claire river formed an important industry in pioneer days. The various improvement companies removed obstructions in the Eau Claire river, thus enabling the pine logs to be driven down the stream to Schofield, Wis.
In 1897, H.C. Humphrey, G.W. Hogben, and A.M. Lanning organized the Antigo Screen Door Company. They discontinued business in Antigo after operating a short time. Then the concern erected a factory on the Eau Claire river in this district on section 28. A.C. Campbell and A.M. Lanning operated it until a change in ownership whereby the Heinemann Lumber Company took it over in 1901. They made extensive improvements in the industry. Their saw and planning mills operated until 1911 when the sawmill burned down. The village of Heinemann prospered during the life of the industry. Many employers were boarded at a hotel owned by the lumber concern. The concern also operated a store for the residents of the village. Many of the village houses were since purchased by the Langlade Lumber Company, Antigo, Wis., and moved to the vicinity of the Langlade Lumber Company mill in August, 1917.
The first cheese factory was opened in 1919 in the old store building, once the Heinemann Lumber Company store. In 1920 it changed hands and the Ackley Farmers Dairy Produce Company operated the factory, which burned down in 1921.
There are now no cheese factories, cemeteries or churches in the district. Highway No. 64 runs through the district and is used constantly. It was opened to Merrill in the fall of 1921.
The Riverview Park, in which many Antigo people are interested, is located across the Eau Claire river (on the west bank) in the district. A large dance pavilion was erected in 1921 and is very popular.
Eugene Mullen conducts a soft drink parlor which he has operated for a number of years.
Agriculture is the principal occupation of the settlers, all of whom are progressive.
Ruins of the once splendid planing mill, sawmill and thriving village still exist, reminding the observer
As ocean sweeps the labour's mole away;
While self-dependent power can time defy,
As rocks resist the billow and the sky."
At the opening of the twentieth century, Barker & Stewart and the Heinemann Lumber Company logged extensively in this district. The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad serves this territory, passing through sections 19, 30, 31, 32 in West Ackley.
Settlement are along this road. They are called McGinnis, Bellmeyer and Behm.
Web Site TOC
E-mail the Webmaster
All Rights Reserved.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids