Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Antigo, Wisconsin Genealogy Gopher
City of Antigo and Langlade County, Wisconsin Genealogical Research Sources

Home > Langlade County Place Names

face looking over break line

Langlade County Place Names

Place NameTypeName Origin
AckleyTownNamed after Willard L. Ackley, the county's earliest known settler.
AinsworthTownNamed after "Uncle" Thomas Ainsworth, Sr. who superintendened the Wolf River Dam building project for the Keshena Improvement Company.
AntigoTown
City
Post Office
The name is taken from the Indian word nee-quee-antigo-sebi. Antigo here meaning "evergreen," or "water running under evergreens," or "where evergreens can always be found."
Bass LakeVillage
Post Office
Lake
Unknown.
BavariaVillage
Post Office
Named after the area in Prussia, the Kingdom of Bavaria, where many of its residents came from. Many were hired by the Paine Lumber Company and sent to log here.
BryantVillage
Post Office
Named for Sherburn M. Bryant, of Milwaukee, the owner of most of the farm land in the vicinity, and who was also a large owner of timber in this locality.
CarpenterTownNamed after Matthew H. Carpenter a Wisconsin Senator appointed to Congress in 1869 and elected to Congress in 1879.
Casper/KasperVillage
Logging Landing
It may have been named after George Kasper, an early Town of Vilas supervisor or a logger in the area.
ChoateVillageNamed for Leander Choate of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, who owned large tracts of timber land in this neighborhood.
ClarkVillage
Post Office
School
Named after Bill Clark an early settler in the Town of Polar.
ClevelandTownNamed after President Grover Cleveland.
CulverVillageNamed after John Culver who was married to Amoretta Van Ostrand. They lived in the Town of Evergreen.
DeerbrookVillage
Post Office
Name by Edward Dawson, a timber cruiser, while camping as he watched a deer drink every morning from the Eau Claire River as the sun came up.
DobbstonVillage
Post Office
See Markton. Named after Thomas M. Dobbs who operated a saw mill in the area in 1874.
DrexelVillageVillage name later changed to Kent. Named for A.J. Drexel, the noted banker of Philadelphia.
EhlingerVillage
Post Office
See Nine Mile Creek and Hollister. Named after the brothers Michael and Nicholas Ehlinger, from Suring, who operated a saw mill just south of Hollister.
ElchoTown
Village
Post Office
Named by B.F. Dorr, the pioneer surveyor in this vicinity, from a place in Scotland that is pronounced as this town's name is spelled.
ElmhurstVillage
Post Office
Named from Elmhurst, DuPage County, Illinois.
EltonTown
Village
Post Office
School
Renamed Wolf River. Named after Elton Larzelere the son of Charles Larzelere an early Town of Langlade settler.
Evans' MillVillageNamed after John Evans who operated a saw mill on the Evergreen River near Culver.
EvergreenTownNamed for the Evergreen River which flows through the Town.
Four CornersVillageUnknown.
FreemanVillage
School
Unknown.
GagenTownNamed after Dan Gagen an early pioneer of the area.
GarrisonVillageUnknown.
GoodlandVillageUnknown.
Heinemann/LumbertonVillageNamed "Lumberton" in timber bond legal papers by Walter Ben Heinemann, the owner of the saw mill in the Town of Ackley. Most people just called the village "Heinemann" after the Heinemann Saw Mill. In 1919 he changed the spelling of the family name to "Heineman."
HollisterVillage
Post Office
School
See Nine Mile Creek and Ehlinger. Named after Seymour W. Hollister an Oshkosh businessman and lumberman who was a partner in the Choate-Hollister Furniture Company.
HoxieVillageUnknown.
IrwinVillage
Post Office
Named after Howard Irwin Sparks the postmaster for the village.
KempsterVillage
Post Office
School
Named for Dr. Kempster of the Northern State Hospital for the Insane who owned land in the area.
KoepenickVillage
Post Office
Named for E.S. Koepenick, its earliest settler and a sawmill owner and postmaster for the village.
LangladeCounty
Town
Village
Post Office
Named for Charles Michel de Langlade an 18th century soldier and fur trader who lived in Green Bay and has been called the "father of Wisconsin.".
Lily/NewTown
Village
Post Office
School
Named after the Lily River which flows through the area. S.A. Taylor, an earlier settler, had previous named the Village New.
MalcolmVillage
Post Office
Named by and for Malcolm Hutchinson, who lived at Bryant and then was the first settler in the village of Malcolm which was near the Sherry railroad junction.
MaykingVillage
Post Office
School
Named after the Mayking Creek which flows through the area.
Melnik/MelnickVillageSee Neva and Star Neva. Unknown. Maybe named after an early settler or by settlers for a village of the same name in Bulgara?
NevaTown
Village
Post Office
School
See Melnik/Melnick and Star Neva. Named after Chief Neva, a leader of a tribe of Chippewa Indians.
Neva CornersVillageNamed after the Town of Neva and the three roads that intersect at the location.
NewCounty
Village
See Lily. Called "New" by the State Legislature in 1879 because it was the newest county. In 1880 the Legislature renamed it Langlade County. S.A. Taylor called a village where he lived New but it was later renamed Lily.
Nine Mile CreekVillage
Creek
See Hollister and Ehlinger. Name of creek which flows through the area.
NorwoodTown
Village
Post Office
Unknown.
MarktonVillage
Post Office
See Dobbston. After the Dobbs saw mill moved the village was renamed by a resident George Roax after his son Markton Roax.
MorleyVillage
Post Office
Named after two brothers Edward and Jean Morley who started the village.
Muller's LakeVillage
Post Office
Lake
See Polar and Sylvan Lake. Named after Moritz Muller (also spelled Mueller) an early settler of the area.
ParrishVillage
Post Office
School
Named for a long-time Director, of the Milwaukee, Lake Shore and Western Railroad, the first railroad that was built through this place.
Parrish JunctionRailroad JunctionRailroad Junction on the Oneida County line where tracks went south to the Village of Parrish.
PearsonVillage
Post Office
School
Named by and after J. Pearson Hughes the first storekeeper and postmaster of the village.
PeckTownNamed after George W. Peck, Governor of Wisconsin from 1891 to 1895.
PelicanTown
Lake
Named for Pelican Lake
PhloxVillage
Post Office
Named after a wild genus of herbs growing in the forests nearby.
Pickerel/Twin LakesVillage
School
Lakes
Originally named after its location on Big Twin Lake and Little Twin Lake. Later renamed Pickerel after Pickerel Lake which is two miles north.
Polar/PolerTown
Village
Post Office
Named after Hiram Poler/Polar an early settler of the area.
Post LakeVillage
Post Office
School
Lakes
Named after North and South Post Lake. Post Lake got its name because of a trading post that was located here which was used by the Indians and early French missionaries.
PriceTownNamed after Congressman William T. Price, of Black River Falls, Wisconsin, who served in Congress from 1885 to 1886.
Reeve/ReevesVillage
Post Office
Unknown.
RollingTown
Village
Unknown.
RoseVillage
Post Office
Named after either a relative of Henry Mitchell who owned a saw mill at the east end of Moose Lake or Ross Young his associate?
Sherry JunctionRailroad JunctionRailroad Junction just east of Malcolm. Named because a branch went to the Village of Kent and the Henry Sherry saw mill. The other branch went to Elton.
SpringbrookTown
Brook
Named for the brook that runs through the City of Antigo. The Town of Springbrook was renamed Antigo.
Star NevaVillageSee Melnik/Melnick, Neva and Star Neva. After a big star was pained on the front of the local tavern Melnik gradually was called Star Neva.
StrassburghVillageNamed by its settlers after the capital of Alsac-Lorraine.
Summit LakeVillage
Post Office
Lake
The village was plotted in 1887 by the Milwaukee, Lake Shore, and Western Railroad in 1882 and named for a nearby lake, which was on high land in the vicinity.
Sylvan LakeVillage
Post Office
Lake
See Polar and Mullar's Lake. Named by the postmistress, Mrs Weeks after the Webster Mfg. Co. mill pond which was a large body of water and the name applied directly to it. When the Webster Company sold their interest the name reverted back to Muller's Lake.
Twin Lakes/PickerelVillage
Post Office
Lakes
See Pickerel.
UphamTownNamed after William H. Upham, who was Wisconsin's Governor from 1895 to 1897.
Van OstrandVillageA platted village that was never built named for E.H. Van Ostrand of Antigo, Wisconsin.
VaughnVillageMight have been named after an earlier settler by the name of Orvis Vaughn?
VilasTownNamed after William Freeman Vilas, American lawyer and statesman, who was elected to the United States Senate from Wisconsin in 1891. He served as Postmaster General and Secretary of the Interior under President Grover Cleveland.
WeedVillageNamed after the J.H. (Henry) Weed Saw Mill. He erected mill in 1882.
White LakeVillage
Post Office
School
Lake
Village name for the lake where it is located.
WilburVillage
Post Office
Unknown

face looking over break line

table of contents
Web Site TOC
send email
E-mail the Webmaster
Last Updated:

All Rights Reserved.